Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Oktober 19, 2024, 21:35:54
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Quiksilver Pro France  (Gelesen 12763 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
Quiksilver Pro France
« am: September 22, 2009, 14:19:07 »

Quiksilver Pro France
Stop No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour
Southwest Coast, France
September 23 – October 4, 2009

Quiksilver Pro France Awaits World’s Best Surfers, Good Swell Expected

Pictured: Adrian Buchan (AUS), 27, defending Quiksilver Pro France Champion and current ASP World No. 24, will look to repeat his performance from 2008.

Credit: © ASP/ CI/ CESTARI via GETTY IMAGES

HOSSEGOR, France (Sunday, September 20, 2009) – The Quiksilver Pro France, Stop No. 7 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, will kick off in three days on the South West Coast of France, settling down between the world famous beach breaks of Hossegor and Seignosse, and the famous Basque reef break of Lafitenia. A fully mobile event with 42 km at its disposal, the Quiksilver Pro France (the only French stop of the ASP World Tour) will give the world’s best surfers two weeks of tube-riding, high-performance waves and big surf possibilities.

While 2009 the ASP World Title race remains wide open and very close amongst the top contenders (including reigning and nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 37), the Quiksilver Pro France will also stage the highly-anticipated battle between ratings’ front-runners and struggling ASP Top 45 re-qualifiers.

Adrian Buchan (New South Wales, AUS), 27, defending Quiksilver Pro France champion, will be back on the battlefield where he clinched his first and only ASP World Tour victory in 2008 after defeating Slater in an exciting Final – postponing the Floridian’s 9th ASP World Title claim. Buchan, a.k.a. “Ace”, whose season has been interrupted by a serious knee injury that forced him out of two events already, will be eager to get back to his best level when he competes in France next week.

“This year has been different for me,” Buchan said. “I started out really well on the Gold Coast [at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, first event of the year] and then struggled at the next two events before injuring myself in Bali on a surf trip. Being sidelined gives you incredible clarity and the break has been great for me. I got to do some different things and now I’m fresh and excited. My knee is getting better every week and is close to 100% so I’m feeling pretty confident for France.”

Buchan, who is sitting on a 5th and three 17th places in 2009 thus far, is considered a threat at all locations on tour and could get back to the front stage next week in France, the Quiksilver Pro France being one of the man’s favorite places on tour for its waves and lifestyle.

“Even before I won the event there, France felt like a special place to me,” Buchan said. “I love the laid back vibe and the scenery and French culture and it’s such a great time of year too. Crisp mornings and beautiful days – it’s a tricky place to surf where you have to be very aware of the changing conditions and I like that. Hopefully we have some swell!”

Buchan will take on former ASP World Champion (2001) C.J. Hobgood (USA), 30, and 2009 ASP Dream Tour rookie Marlon Lipke (DEU), 25, when competition commences.

While all eyes will be on surfing’s greatest celebrities for two consecutive weeks in France, the biggest French contingent ever to compete on the ASP World Tour will be in the spotlights of national media. Local residents Michael Picon (Capbreton, FRA), 30, and Tim Boal (Anglet, FRA), 26, along with French Polynesian Michel Bourez (Tahiti PYF), 23, and world famous Jeremy Flores (New Caledonia/Capbreton, FRA), 21, are ready to shine in front of thousands of fans.

Picon, the most experienced French surfer on tour and already on his third year among the elite ASP Top 45, will be looking to clinch valuable ratings’ points towards his 2010 ASP World Tour re-qualification campaign after a tough first part of the season. Picon, presently ranked outside the re-qualifying Top 27 prior to the Quiksilver Pro France, is considered a talented tube-rider, having placed ninth at Tahiti, Bali and Mundaka in 2008, and will be a serious contender if the swell reaches the six-to-eight-foot range during the Quiksilver Pro France.

”I'm feeling pretty good and I think my boards are really working well,” Picon said. “I lost early in California so got back home with some time to practice and get used to the event location. It was good as well for the jet lag, and I am in rhythm right now. The location chosen for the event looks very fun and I think it is going to be a good contest.”

Picon will face Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, and Chris Davidson (AUS), 33, in Round 1 of the Quiksilver Pro France.

With the ASP World Title race raging as the tour hits the European leg, beginning September 23 with the Quiksilver Pro France, will be the theater of intense battles. ASP World No. 1 and former event winner (2006), Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, will have a chance to seal his inaugural ASP World Title in France while other top contenders will look to put a stop to his juggernaut season.

The Quiksilver Pro France will host the world’s best surfers from September 23 to October 4, 2009.

The event be webcast LIVE in French, English and Portuguese at www.quiksilverprofrance.com

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Taylor Knox (USA), Ben Dunn (AUS), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA), Josh Kerr (AUS), David Weare (ZAF)

Heat 3: Damien Hobgood (USA), Tim Reyes (USA), Nic Muscroft (AUS)

Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA), Drew Courtney (AUS)

Heat 5: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Michel Bourez (PYF), Luke Stedman (AUS)

Heat 6: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Dean Morrison (AUS), Phillip MacDonald (AUS)

Heat 7: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Adrian Buchan (AUS), Marlon Lipke (DEU)

Heat 8: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Kai Otton (AUS), TBA

Heat 9: Kelly Slater (USA), Mick Campbell (AUS), TBA

Heat 10: Mick Fanning (AUS), Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), TBA

Heat 11: Tom Whitaker (AUS), Chris Ward (USA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 12: Kieren Perrow (AUS), Roy Powers (HAW), Nathaniel Curran (USA)

Heat 13: Dane Reynolds (USA), Chris Davidson (AUS), Michael Picon (FRA)

Heat 14: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Jay Thompson (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF), Tim Boal (FRA), Greg Emslie (ZAF)
Heat 16: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Dustin Barca (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: Quiksilver Pro France
« Antwort #1 am: September 22, 2009, 14:30:16 »

Leute, falls ihr in Frankreich unterwegs seid haltet die Augen offen, Den Hobgoods wurden alle Boards gestohlen, falls euch also Boards mit Globe-Stickern unterkommen, mal genauer hinschauen...

Hobgoods via Twitter:
HOLY EFFIN CRAP! all my boards were stolen last night, reward name your price? 5 CGD,1 tokoro,1 TL2 AND 2 MERRICKS.magics yellow blue rails

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: September 23, 2009, 08:50:21 »

Quiksilver Pro France
Southwest Coast, France

Quiksilver Pro France Round 1 ON at Les Bourdaines

Pictured: Kelly Slater (USA), 37, reigning nine-time ASP World Champion, admits that the Quiksilver Pro France is his last chance to get back in the 2009 ASP World Title race.

HOSSEGOR, France (Wednesday, September 23, 2009) – The Quiksilver Pro France, Stop No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, in ON this morning with Round 1 of competition heading out in clean three-to-four foot (1 .5 metre) waves at Les Bourdaines.

“We have some very clean three-to-four foot waves this morning at the main site of Les Bourdaines and we’ll be getting underway at 8am,” Rod Brooks, Quiksilver Pro Trestles Contest Director, said. “

Kelly Slater (USA), 37, reigning nine-time ASP World Champion and current ASP World No. 6, has been clawing his way back into contention over the last three events, following an uncharacteristically slow start. With four events left on the 2009 ASP Dream Tour, the Floridian admits that France is critical to his bid for an unprecedented 10th ASP World Title.

“This is probably my last shot to get back in this thing,” Slater said. “The idea is to just focus on one heat at a time and one event at a time, but I definitely need to make up some ground in these next events.”

Slater will face veteran Mick Campbell (AUS), 35, and trials winner Alain Riou (PYF), 26, in Round 1 today.

Michel Bourez (PYF), 23, 2009 ASP Dream Tour rookie and current ASP World No. 21, is into his first Quiksilver Pro France as a full-fledged member of the ASP Top 45, but the powerful natural-footer did some damage at last season’s event as a wildcard.

"Good to be back in France and catch-up with all former team mates and people I’ve known for years now,” Bourez said. “It’s great to come back to the event, I’ve had good results in the past here and I am coming with the same relaxed state of mind as when I was a wildcard last year and got 5th.”

Bourez is looking to gain some ground on fellow rookie and current ASP World No. 15 Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), 24, in the race for 2009 ASP Rookie of the Year, and the Tahitian’s results in the past two events are building an impressive momentum for him.

“It’s been going good for me in the last couple of events and I think I’ve found a good rhythm,” Bourez said. “The turning point for me was when we went to the Mentawaiis for the Red Bull trip. That surf trip gave me a lot of time to focus on my boards, my surfing and see the others push their limits, which motivated me so strong. Then I went back there with Nike 6.0 and that was another crucial training. I have great boards that really suit my style and I am enjoying competing right now. That event at Trestles was good and I am super happy to be getting closer to the Top 20 right now. It was my goal when the year started and to see things go my way is really satisfying. I’ve worked hard and I am looking forward to keeping that good roll going."

Bourez takes on current ASP World No. 3 Adriano de Souza (BRA), 22, and fellow 2009 ASP World Tour rookie Marlon Lipke (DEU), 25, in the opening round of Quiksilver Pro France competition today.

Up first this morning will be Taylor Knox (USA), 38, Chris Ward (USA), 30, and David Weare (ZAF), 29, in Round 1 of competition.

The Quiksilver Pro France will host the world’s best surfers from September 23 to October 4, 2009.

The event be webcast LIVE in French, English and Portuguese at www.quiksilverprofrance.com

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Taylor Knox (USA), Chris Ward (USA), David Weare (ZAF)

Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA), Ben Dunn (AUS), Nic Muscroft (AUS)

Heat 3: Damien Hobgood (USA), Timmy Reyes (USA), Drew Courtney (AUS)

Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA), Phillip MacDonald (AUS)

Heat 5: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Michel Bourez (PYF), Marlon Lipke (DEU)

Heat 6: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Dean Morrison (AUS), Julian Wilson (AUS)

Heat 7: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Adrian Buchan (AUS), Joan Duru (FRA)

Heat 8: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Kai Otton (AUS), Kiron Jabour (HAW)

Heat 9: Kelly Slater (USA), Mick Campbell (AUS), Alain Riou (PYF)

Heat 10: Mick Fanning (AUS), Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), Patrick Beven (FRA)

Heat 11: Tom Whitaker (AUS), Roy Powers (HAW), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 12: Kieren Perrow (AUS), Chris Davidson (AUS), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 13: Dane Reynolds (USA), Jay Thompson (AUS), Nathaniel Curran (USA)

Heat 14: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Tim Boal (FRA), Michael Picon (FRA)

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 16: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Dustin Barca (HAW), Greg Emslie (ZAF)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: September 24, 2009, 08:39:13 »

Quiksilver Pro France
Southwest Coast, France

Parkinson and Reynolds Rule as Wildcards Run Rampant at Quiksilver Pro France

Pictured: Dane Reynolds (USA), 23, current ASP World No. 11, continued to wow audiences today, netting an impressive 17.33 out of a possible 20 in Round 1 of the Quiksilver Pro France.

Credit: © ASP/ CI/ SCHOLTZ via GETTY IMAGES

SEIGNOSSE, France (Wednesday, September 23, 2009) – Round 1 and the opening four heats of Round 2 of the Quiksilver Pro France got underway today with the world’s best surfers detonating in punchy three-to-four foot (1.5 metre) peaks at Les Bourdaines beachbreak.

Event No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro France was treated to some fantastic surfing throughout the opening day of the waiting period, with the world’s best surfers letting loose in the playful beachbreaks while the event wildcards stamped their authority as real contenders amongst the ASP Top 45.

Dane Reynolds (USA), 23, current ASP World No. 11, is coming hot off the heals of his best results on the ASP Dream Tour, a 3rd in South Africa and a 2nd in Southern California, and continued to push the limits of high-performance surfing today at the Quiksilver Pro France.

Opening with a blistering 8.83 out of a possible 10 with some rapid-fire forehand surfing, Reynolds then fell behind fellow Venturan Nathaniel Curran (USA), 24, who posted an impressive heat total of a total 15.40 out of a possible 20. Needing a score in the dying minutes, Reynolds detonated another roping righthander for grab and 8.50 and the advancement to Round 3.

“I knew that wave was going to offer up a score for me and all I had to do was surf it as best I can,” Reynolds said. “It had a good wall on it and I was able to do a few turns. It’s too bad for Nathaniel (Curran) as he was surfing really, really well, but I’m sure he’ll do well in his Round 2 heat.”

Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, current ASP World No. 1, suffered his first setback in an otherwise near-flawless season last event, finishing 17th in Southern California. While the media speculated that a quasi-serious ankle injury was the culprit in Parkinson’s poor showing, the Australian showed no signs of injury today.

“Everyone has been talking about it (ankle injury) but I haven’t really noticed it,” Parkinson said. “It feels fine today and I feel like I have full movement. Obviously, I didn’t have the result I wanted at the last event, but everyone has a bad one and hopefully I’ve gotten mine out of the way already.”

With extreme tide fluctuations wreaking havoc upon the consistency of the Les Bourdaines lineup, Parkinson effortless posted excellent scores with both backhand and forehand ripping.

“It’s pretty tricky out there but there are definitely some pretty fun ones coming through,” Parkinson said. “It can be tricky with the tide changes. The waves looked really fun this morning, but as the tide’s dropped, some of the good ones are breaking inside and the others are breaking out the back. Looking forward to a few days off now and excited to get back out there.”

Julian Wilson (AUS), 20, led the wildcard charge at today’s Quiksilver Pro France, besting veteran compatriots Bede Durbdige (AUS), 26, and Dean Morrison (AUS), 28, in Round 1 of competition.

“I’ve done a few of these events as a wildcard before and the approach of ‘just go for broke’ has kind of gone out the window now. I look at these heats as opportunities to establish myself and good training against these guys. I hope to be up at this level of competition in one to two years and this is great experience.”

Joining Wilson in posting Round 1 heat wins today were fellow wildcards Joan Duru (FRA), 20, and Patrick Beven (FRA), 31.

The afternoon saw some electric surfing as Round 2 moved through the opening four heats, and some big names avoided elimination at the Quiksilver Pro France.

Following the close Round 2 victory of former ASP World Champion (2007) and current ASP World No. 2, Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, another former ASP World Champion in C.J. Hobgood (USA), 30, survived one of the most exciting heats of the year.

The current ASP World No. 3, who had all nine of his surfboards stolen his first night in France, was comboed by wildcard Alain Riou (PYF), 26, before snapping another surfboard in the powerful Les Bourdaines shorebreak. Grabbing a spare board he had never surfed before, Hobgood returned to the lineup where he proceeded to tube-ride his way out of the combination situation and to a Round 2 victory.

“We all have a breaking point and a lot of things went through my mind and I was just wondering how much worse it could get,” Hobgood said. “I was comboed, my board was broken and I know my back-up one is not even that good. If the ocean didn't turn on I would have had a nervous breakdown (Laughs). But whatever, I am happy to get through that heat.”

Upsets continued through the final heat of the day with journeyman campaigner Phillip MacDonald (AUS), 30, taking down current ASP World No. 3 Adriano de Souza (BRA), 22, in Round 2 of the Quiksilver Pro France. The powerful Australian man-handled the running lefthanders on his backhand, posting an impressive 16.90 out of a possible 20.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow at 7:30am to assess conditions for a possible 8am start.

When competition resumes, up first will be Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, up against 2009 ASP World Tour rookie Drew Courtney (AUS), 30.

Highlights from today’s Quiksilver Pro France will be available at www.quiksilverlive.com

Downloadable media from today’s event available at the following FTP address:

www.quiksilver-press.com

Login: pressroom

Password: quiksilverpress

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 1 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Taylor Knox (USA) 12.67, David Weare (ZAF) 9.10, Chris Ward (USA) N/S

Heat 2: Nic Muscroft (AUS) 11.67, Ben Dunn (AUS) 11.00, Bobby Martinez (USA) 10.60

Heat 3: Damien Hobgood (USA) 13.50, Timmy Reyes (USA) 6.10, Drew Courtney (AUS) 5.83

Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS) 16.67, Phillip MacDonald (AUS) 10.16, Heitor Alves (BRA) 7.80

Heat 5: Michel Bourez (PYF) 15.20, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 15.10, Marlon Lipke (DEU) 7.14

Heat 6: Julian Wilson (AUS) 13.33, Bede Durbidge (AUS) 8.67, Dean Morrison (AUS) 8.53

Heat 7: Joan Duru (FRA) 11.37, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.10, C.J. Hobgood (USA) 11.03

Heat 8: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 15.44, Kai Otton (AUS) 10.40, Gabriel Villaran (PER) 7.33

Heat 9: Kelly Slater (USA) 14.53, Alain Riou (PYF) 11.67, Mick Campbell (AUS) 7.26

Heat 10: Patrick Beven (FRA) 11.83, Mick Fanning (AUS) 11.54, Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 10.97

Heat 11: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 12.74, Roy Powers (HAW) 9.00, Jihad Khodr (BRA) 7.50

Heat 12: Chris Davidson (AUS) 13.74, Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 11.17, Kieren Perrow (AUS) 7.17

Heat 13: Dane Reynolds (USA) 17.33, Nathaniel Curran (USA) 15.60, Jay Thompson (AUS) 6.56

Heat 14: Tim Boal (FRA) 11.30, Michael Picon (FRA) 10.66, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 9.60

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.17, Dayyan Neve (AUS) 11.87, Tiago Pires (PRT) 7.00

Heat 16: Dustin Barca (HAW) 10.77, Jeremy Flores (FRA) 9.34, Greg Emslie (ZAF) 4.63

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Mick Fanning (AUS) 13.83 def. Gabriel Villaran (PER) 6.30

Heat 2: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 15.17 def. Alain Riou (PYF) 14.83

Heat 3: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.33 def. Marlon Lipke (DEU) 10.17

Heat 4: Phillip MacDonald (AUS) 16.90 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 15.13

QUIKSILVER PRO TRESTLES REMAINING ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Drew Courtney (AUS)

Heat 6: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. David Weare (ZAF)

Heat 7: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 8: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 9: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Nathaniel Curran (USA)

Heat 10: Mick Campbell (AUS) vs. Michael Picon (FRA)

Heat 11: Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 12: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Greg Emslie (ZAF)

Heat 13: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Dayyan Neve (AUS)

Heat 14: Heitor Alves (BRA) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 15: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Roy Powers (USA)

Heat 16: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Chris Ward (USA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: September 24, 2009, 08:39:50 »

uiksilver Pro France
Southwest Coast, France

Quiksilver Pro France Back ON for Round 2, Round 3 On Standby

SEIGNOSSE, France (Thursday, September 24, 2009) – The Quiksilver Pro France, Stop No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, will recommence this morning with Round 2 (Round 3 on standby) doing battle in the four-to-five foot (1.5 metre) surf at Les Bourdaines.

“The winds are onshore this morning but we still have some good swell coming through and we’ll be getting underway at 8am this morning,” Rod Brooks, Quiksilver Pro France Contest Director, said. “Our hope is that the winds will back off through the day, but with the swell on the table, we’re looking to complete Round 2, with Round 3 on standby.”

Up first this morning will be Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, up against 2009 ASP World Tour rookie Drew Courtney (AUS), 30.

The event be web LIVE in French, English and Portuguese at www.quiksilverlive.com 

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: September 24, 2009, 13:47:51 »

Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange
Southwest Coast, France

Aranburu, Emslie and Otton Battle Elements in Round 2 Quik Pro, Buchan Ousted

Pictured: Aritz Aranburu (EUK), 23, was in devastating form this morning in Round 2 of the Quiksilver Pro France, eliminating local favorite Jeremy Flores (FRA), 21.

SEIGNOSSE, France (Thursday, September 24, 2009) –The Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange, Event No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, got back in motion today at the event’s main venue of Les Bourdaines in consistent-but-testing five-foot (1.5 metre) waves.

Battling against elements with strong currents coming into the equation, Round 2 competitors put on a show of strategic game plans and athletic skills, holding their line-up positions and taking off on fast-breaking five-to-six foot wave faces to grab their Round 3 tickets.

With most top seeds getting the job done in various ways, from solid scores to tight heat results, surprise came with the eliminations of highly-touted competitors Jeremy Flores (FRA), 21, and defending champion Adrian Buchan (AUS), 27, losing to Aritz Aranburu (EUK), 23, and ASP Dream Tour veteran Greg Emslie (ZAF), 32, respectively, creating the biggest upsets of the day.

Emslie eliminated Buchan in the dying minutes of their exchange, netting a solid 8.00 point score to stamp his authority and get away with the win. Emslie, ASP World No. 33, was able to catch-up with Buchan’s early lead using his experience and patience to wait for a good opportunity and rush to victory.

“It’s super challenging out there and I knew that we’d be getting 4s and 5s and it would come down to whoever got that one smoker,” Emslie said. “That wave came to me right at the end of the heat and was able to stand-up for me really well. I was stoked when I heard the score.”

Emslie, a former runner-up in the Quiksilver Pro France (2007), has not had any stellar results on tour this year, the South African sitting on four 17th places and a couple of 33rds, and will be looking to get through another few rounds to get back into the ASP Top 27, the re-qualifying group for next year’s ASP World Tour.

“For sure, I was definitely thinking about Ace winning here last year,” Emslie said. “I was also thinking about when I was in the Final the last time I came here to so that gave me a bit of confidence. I’m currently sitting 33rd right now, but Europe is a great place for you to bang out a few good results and if you can remain consistent, you can really make some ground up.”

Aranburu caused the other major upset of the day by eliminating current ASP World Tour No. 19, Flores, in Heat 8, and advancing through to Round 3 for the second time this year. Aranburu, who tamed the fast lefthanders of Les Bourdaines using his powerful and vertical backhand attack, led the exchange from start to finish to defeat national surf star Flores, peaking with a 7.50 point ride en route to victory.

"I was warming up my legs before the heat because I knew I would need them strong for the heat,” Aranburu said. “There are some heavy sections out there and you have to complete your maneuvers to get the bigger scores."

Aranburu, who has finished a disappointing 33rd in all ASP World Tour events but one this year (in Tahiti where he reached the Semifinals), gave himself a bit of air today his result guaranteeing an equal 17th place finish at least in the Quiksilver Pro France. The only Basque surfer to ever qualify for the ASP World Tour, Aranburu’s backhand talent will be a threat to any of his upcoming opponents in the event.

"I knew Jeremy (Flores) would be really tough in these conditions,” Aranburu said. “Although he's hurt a little bit, he's still very dangerous out here. It's an important part of the year for me. I have had only 33rds and one 3rd so I think 3 isn't necessarily my lucky number. I'm happy to advance through to Round 3 and hopefully I can keep going."

Kai Otton (AUS), 28, current ASP World No. 16, was another of today’s standouts, the renowned goofy-footer putting on a solid performance to oust ASP Dream Tour rookie Nathaniel Curran (California, USA), 25. Otton, who chose the inside lefthanders to show his skills to the ASP judging panel, surfed twelve waves throughout the 30-minute heat finding his rhythm despite the strong current washing down the beach.

“I just tried to keep busy, it is a tricky rip and there is a lot of water moving around and obviously I didn't want to paddle against it and would rather catch waves. So that's what I did, kept catching waves.”

Posting a convincing 14.26 point score to Curran’s low 5.17 point combination of two scores, Otton stuck to his game plan and will surf in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro France.

“Obviously I didn't start very well this year but I feel I am in form now and surfing pretty good,” Otton said. “I had a good result at Jeffreys Bay and got through a few rounds at Trestles so it would be good to keep it going here. I love France and there's some swell so it's looking good.”

Event officials will re-assess conditions and make a call tomorrow at 7:30am for a possible 8am start.

First out will be Heitor Alves (BRA), 26, up against Jay Thompson (AUS), 26, when Round 2 of the Quiksilver Pro France resumes.

Highlights from today’s Quiksilver Pro France will be available at www.quiksilverlive.com

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: September 25, 2009, 17:21:49 »

ASSOCIATION OF SURFING PROFESSIONALS (ASP) INTERNATIONAL

Southwest Coast, France

Quiksilver Pro France Called Off After Completion of Round 2

SEIGNOSSE, France (Friday, September 25, 2009) – The Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange, Event No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, has been called off for the day, following the completion of Round 2.

With only small, two-to-three foot (1 metre) surf on offer today at Les Bourdaines, only three heats were completed today, with event organizers opting to hold for better conditions in the coming days.

Ben Dunn (AUS), 23, current ASP World No. 26, surfed one of the strangest heats of the Quiksilver Pro France thus far. His opponent, Chris Ward (USA), 30, who had already missed his Round 1 heat due to scheduling confusion, overslept this morning and failed to show up until 15 minutes into the 30 minute heat.

“Well, it definitely plays with your head,” Dunn said. “Wardo missed his Round 1 heat and I thought he was going to show up for today’s heat because I saw him yesterday, but he said he overslept or something. It was still pretty even when he arrived though as I couldn’t get any waves.”

With half the heat remaining, Dunn would ignite, seamlessly blending high-speed floaters and rapid-fire turns on his backhand to amass the day’s highest heat total, a 14.50 out of a possible 20.

“I wanted to get some scores on the board before Chris (Ward) turned up, but there just weren’t any waves,” Dunn said. “He made a couple mistakes and went right and I was able to put a few scores on the board. It’s an important event for me in terms of ratings and I’m stoked to get through to Round 3.”

Dunn will face Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), 27, in Round 3 when competition resumes.

Roy Powers (HAW), 28, current ASP World No. 26, faced O’Neill teammate and fellow ASP World No. 26, Tim Reyes (USA), 27, in a tightly-fought Round 2 heat today, just edging the Californian out, 11.93 to 11.16.

“It’s pretty weird that we both ride for the same company and are rated the same and met in Round 2,” Powers said. “I don’t know what the odds of that are. It’s too bad for Tim (Reyes) as I know he’s having a tough year, but it’s an important result for me and I’ll take the win. Timmy looked like he was trying to pack in more maneuvers on his waves and I was focusing on adding more power and throwing more spray and I guess it worked out.”

Powers will next battle Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro France when competition resumes.

Heitor Alves (BRA), 26, current ASP World No. 24, dominated the opening heat of the day, deftly navigating the lumpy beach break peaks to eliminate Jay Thompson (AUS), 26, from Quiksilver Pro France competition.

“I am so happy to make that heat, I am looking to make a good result here and I am stoked things went well this morning,” Alves said. “I was looking for the lefthanders which I like surfing and I got the better ones. Today’s conditions are better with less current so it’s all good. I thank all my family and girlfriend for the great support.”

Alves will take on Jordy Smith (ZAF), 21, in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro France.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 9am to assess conditions for a possible Round 3 start.

When competition resumes, up first will Bede Durbidge (AUS), 26, up against 2009 ASP Dream Tour rookie Nic Muscroft (AUS), 27, in Heat 1 of Round 3.

Highlights from today’s Quiksilver Pro France are available at www.quiksilverlive.com 

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: September 26, 2009, 15:09:59 »

Parko goes down to Patrick Beven, Titelrennen wieder offen  :o

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #8 am: September 27, 2009, 10:39:31 »

Southwest Coast, France

Reynolds and Slater Shine in Round 3 of Quiksilver Pro France, Parkinson Eliminated

Pictured: Dane Reynolds (USA), 23, current ASP World No. 11, dominated the peaky waves on offer at Les Bourdaines today, posting the highest heat total of the event, 18.27 out of a possible 20.

SEIGNOSSE, France (Saturday, September 26, 2009) – The Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange completed an action-packed Round 3 today, and despite the smaller one-to-three foot (0.5 – 1 metre) waves on offer at Les Bourdaines, the world’s best surfers flew electric in front of a capacity crowd on the beach.

Event No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro France ran in unexpectedly clean conditions today, and proved to be one of the most exciting days of competition so far this season, with massive scores and big upsets seemingly on call throughout the round.

Patrick Beven (FRA), 31, who earned his seed into the event through the Moskova Trials, caused the upset of the Quiksilver Pro France thus far, eliminating current ASP World No. 1 Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, in Round 3 of competition. The Round 3 chess match saw the lead flip back-and-forth until the dying moments when Beven exploded on a set lefthander to secure a 6.87 out of a possible 10 and the win.

“It’s the kind of lefthanders I like surfing and it was a good heat,” Beven said. “I am stoked right now. I am fighting for France and the Euroforce. I haven’t qualified for the ASP World Tour yet, but I am showing I can surf and do well in this event. I am over the moon right now."

A local to the South of France, Beven enjoyed the support of the hundreds of spectators at the water’s edge today, as they supported the hometown hero in his thwarting of the current ASP World No. 1.

"It’s great to get that kind of heat wins in front such a huge supporting crowd, and to beat the world No. 1 is even better,” Beven said. “Seeing everyone get together behind us French and European surfers and that’s what the Euroforce is all about. A big thanks to all people putting the event up, it’s a great time every year for all of us."

Beven will face Dean Morrison (AUS), 28, in Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro France.

Kelly Slater (USA), 37, reigning nine-time ASP World Champion and current ASP World No. 6, surfed immediately following Parkinson’s elimination, with many assuming the Floridian would immediately capitalize on the opportunity to gain some ground on the ASP World Tour ratings. However, it was his opponent, wildcard and current ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) No. 7, Joan Duru (FRA), 20, that opened up the heat with an incredible 9.17 out of a possible 10.

Despite being on the ropes from the outset, Slater patiently built momentum throughout the heat, and in the face of Duru failing to secure a solid backup wave, netted an impressive 8.90 out of a possible 10 in the last minutes to take the win and advance through to Round 4.

“I opened up with a pretty good wave but turned around to see Joan (Duru) bang out his 9.17,” Slater said. “As I was paddling out, I knew I was working the math out in my head as to what I’d have to do to come back. My board seemed to work out perfectly for those conditions – I’d never ridden it before, but it’s a similar template to one I’d been riding, a light, little epoxy. Joan didn’t ever really find a backup score and I was able to grab a good one right at the end there. Pretty happy to come back there.”

With the elimination of ASP ratings’ frontrunner, the opportunity to gain ground exists for a number of ASP Top seeds, Slater amongst them. Despite the Parkinson’s stumble, the Floridian remains cautious when calculating his 2009 ASP World Title chances.

“I don’t really smell blood yet,” Slater said. “I think I’m still in the forest trying to find him (Parkinson).”

Slater will take on lethal 2009 ASP Dream Tour rookie Michel Bourez (PYF), 23, when Quiksilver Pro France competition resumes.

In addition to the ASP World Title drama that went down on Day 3 of the Quiksilver Pro France, some of the best surfing of the event was executed by some of the sport’s most progressive characters.

Dane Reynolds (USA), 23, current ASP World No. 11, proved the form surfer of the day, blending explosive aerials with searing carves to net the highest heat total of the event, an 18.27 out of a possible 20. Bucking the traditional thruster model, Reynolds opted for a shorter, wider board with big side fins and a small trailer fin. The result was revelatory.

"The waves were pretty bad and I couldn’t take it too serious on a shortboard,” Dane said. “The waves were still really fun though. It’s not flat and there were still some good sections to get speed on and get some airs. I had fun out there. I am riding an MTF (Merrick Twin Fin). It’s just a copy of one of Rob Machado’s old ones. It felt good today in these waves, with two big side-fins and one smaller one in the middle. I was scared to ride this board because it was catching rail yesterday, but it was going pretty good today. I just figured that I’d have a lot more fun on this thing."

Riding high following an equal 3rd place finish in South Africa and a runner-up finish last week in Southern California, Reynolds is proving to be one of the most dangerous surfers on tour.

“I like it here in France,” Reynolds said. “The waves can be really similar to home and punchy and fun. We haven’t had too many waves though so hopefully it picks up.”

Reynolds will face Bede Durbidge (AUS), 26, in the opening heat of Round 4 when competition recommences.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 8am for a possible 8:15am start.

www.quiksilver-press.com

The Quiksilver Pro France pres. by Orange will host the world’s best surfers from September 23 to October 4, 2009.

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 3 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.50 def. Nic Muscroft (AUS) 12.03

Heat 2: Dane Reynolds (USA) 18.27 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 11.00

Heat 3: Ben Dunn (AUS) 14.57 def. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 13.13

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 14.50 def. Phillip MacDonald (AUS) 12.80

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA) 16.50 def. Greg Emslie (ZAF) 9.74

Heat 6: Taylor Knox (USA) 13.17 def. Dustin Barca (HAW) 12.70

Heat 7: Dean Morrison (AUS) 13.57 def. Mick Campbell (AUS) 12.80

Heat 8: Patrick Beven (FRA) 14.87 def. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.07

Heat 9: Kelly Slater (USA) 16.73 def. Joan Duru (FRA) 13.57

Heat 10: Michel Bourez (PYF) 13.57 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 9.76

Heat 11: Tiago Pires (PRT) 16.43 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 12.83

Heat 12: Tim Boal (FRA) 15.43 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 14.67

Heat 13: Mick Fanning (AUS) 15.54 def. Julian Wilson (AUS) 13.06

Heat 14: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.34  def. Heitor Alves (BRA) 12.50

Heat 15: Taj Burrow (AUS) 15.17 def. Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 10.16

Heat 16: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 11.67 def. Chris Davidson (AUS) 11.47

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

Heat 2: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Taylor Knox (USA)

Heat 4: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Patrick Beven (FRA)

Heat 5: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Michel Bourez (PYF)

Heat 6: Tiago Pires (PRT) vs. Tim Boal (FRA)

Heat 7: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

Heat 8: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #9 am: September 27, 2009, 10:40:48 »

Southwest Coast, France

Quiksilver Pro France ON, Possible Champion Crowned Today

Pictured: Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, current ASP World No. 8, will face compatriot Kieren Perrow (AUS), 32, in Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro France.

SEIGNOSSE, France (Sunday, September 27, 2009) – The final day of the Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange has been called on this morning, with the opening heats of Round 4 heading out in clean one-to-three (0.5 - 1 metre) surf at Les Bourdaines at 8:30am.

Stop No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro France saw one of the most exciting days of competition yesterday, and with little swell forecast for the coming days, event organizers have opted to utilize the swell on offer today to complete the event.

“The surf is actually better today with clean lefts coming down the bank and we’ll be starting at 8:30am,” Rod Brooks, Quiksilver Pro France Contest Director, said. “As always, we’ll be monitoring conditions, but the plan is to crown a champion by day’s end.”

Up first this morning will be event standout Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, against Bede Durbidge (AUS), 26, in the opening heat of Round 4.

Today’s Quiksilver Pro France will be webcast LIVE at www.quiksilverlive.com

www.quiksilver-press.com

The Quiksilver Pro France pres. by Orange will host the world’s best surfers from September 23 to October 4, 2009.

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

Heat 2: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Taylor Knox (USA)

Heat 4: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Patrick Beven (FRA)

Heat 5: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Michel Bourez (PYF)

Heat 6: Tiago Pires (PRT) vs. Tim Boal (FRA)

Heat 7: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)
Heat 8: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #10 am: September 28, 2009, 11:23:44 »

Southwest Coast, France

Mick Fanning Claims Back-to-Back ASP Dream Tour Events, Takes Quik Pro France

Pictured: Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, current ASP World No. 2, has claimed the 2009 Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange. The win moves the Australian even closer to Gold Coast stablemate, Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, in the hunt for the 2009 ASP World Title.

SEIGNOSSE, France (Sunday, September 27, 2009) – Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, has just claimed his second consecutive ASP Dream Tour event, taking out the 2009 Quiksilver Pro France presented by Orange over fellow Finalist Bede Durbidge (AUS), 26, in punchy one-to-three foot (0.5 – 1 metre) waves at Les Bourdaines.

Event No. 7 of 10 on the 2009 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro France opted to utilize today’s swell to complete the event given the dismal surf forecast for the remainder of the waiting period. Despite today’s challenging conditions, the world’s best surfers executed well, blending their rapid-fire approach with progressive fin-free and aerial surfing.

Fanning continued to build momentum through the final day of competition before erupting in the Final with a flurry of excellent scoring rides, a 7.83, an 8.83 and a 7.33 in the opening half of the competition.

“I was really fortunate to get those couple of good ones at the start because I really ran out of gas there at the end,” Fanning said. “It’s two back-to-back events where I have had to surf four heats on the final day to get the win and it takes a lot out of you. The conditions were deteriorating and I was fortunate to get those scores on the board early on.”

Today’s victory marks the second in a row for Fanning, having proven victorious in Southern California last week. The win further cements Fanning in second position on the 2009 ASP World Tour ratings, cutting the distance between himself and frontrunner Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, from 936 points (pre-France) to a scant 146 points heading into Spain.

“It’s back on,” Fanning said. “Everyone though Joel (Parkinson) was going to run away with it and it’s unfortunate for him that he fell out early, but I’ve put in a lot of work to get these last two wins and I’m just psyched on heading into the rest of the season.”

Durbidge was in excellent form throughout the final day of competition, eliminating a rampaging Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, compatriot Ben Dunn (AUS), 23, and lethal local Patrick Beven (FRA), 31, en route to the Final. Although surfing well, the big Australian couldn’t overcome Fanning’s speed in the trying conditions.

"I felt good and fit as but I was trying to push my turns too hard on a couple of waves and I was caught in the bump a lot so I guess that's the difference from the other heats today,” Durbidge said. “The conditions were a bit bumpier and I couldn't get any clean sections out there. It feels good to be in the Final though, it's the best I’ve done this year and coming from a 3rd at Trestles, it is petty good.""

Durbidge’s Runner-Up finish rockets him from 7th to 4th on the 2009 ASP World Tour ratings, placing him in solid position heading into the remainder of the year.

"That's good news (ratings jump) but my goal is just to finish the year off good and be in a good position to start next year,” Durbidge said. “I would like to finish the year inside the Top 5 for sure so I hope to keep things rolling."

Tiago Pires (PRT), 29, ASP Dream Tour sophomore, halted what many considered to be the juggernaut of the event when he eliminated reigning nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 37, in the Quarterfinals of the Quiksilver Pro France.

“I’m over the moon right now,” Pires said. “Kelly (Slater) is my favorite surfer and I have so much respect for him. I knew I had to wait for the bigger waves to get the scores to beat him. I’ve had a really tough year, but have been training very hard for this and I’m so happy to get through.”

While the Floridian opened up with some fluid-yet-explosive surfing on his backhand to amass a daunting 17.43 out of a possible 20 heat total, it was Pires who would answer back with a 9.57 followed by a 8.13 to take the heat.

“After I put up that first big score, I was still needing another really big one so I knew I had to wait,” Pires said. “Kelly (Slater) likes to stay busy and he keeps getting scores all the time, but I still had to wait for a good one. I had been watching all day and I knew there would be sets so when it came, I just put everything I had into it.

Although Pires would eventually go down to Fanning in the Semifinals, his Equal 3rd place finish sees him bolt from 33rd to 23rd on the ASP World Tour ratings.

“I couldn’t have asked to a better start to these next events in France,” Pires said. “I’ve worked very hard and I am hoping to turn things around during the European leg. I feel comfortable here – it feels like home and I believe I can put up some very good results.”

Patrick Beven (FRA), 31, who gained entry into the event through the Moskova Trials, had a banner run at the Quiksilver Pro France, eliminating current ASP World No. 1, Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, as well as ASP Dream Tour stalwarts Dean Morrison (AUS), 28, and Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, before falling to Durbidge in the Semifinals.

“Bede (Durbidge) is a great surfer and he pushed me in a couple of average waves,” Beven said. “I was feeling really tired in that heat, I didn’t eat today and focused so hard on each of my heats. I was a bit confused out in the line-up and I didn’t catch the good ones. I was a little stressed halfway the heat and I didn’t surf as good as in my previous heats.”

Supported by thousands of spectators throughout the final day of competition, the giant-killer Beven put on a show using smart heat tactics and razor-sharp backhand turns to prove a standout in the Les Bourdaines beach beaks.

“The crowds pushed big time in that event,” Beven said. “They were behind me and it felt so good when the crowds cheered after my waves. It is a big part of my result today and I hope I can keep that confidence for the next events on the ASP WQS. I am stoked to get the chance to show my surf and beat some of the world’s best surfers. That run today is pretty unbelievable.”

The hunt for the 2009 ASP World Title has become even more interesting with the early elimination of frontrunner Parkinson and the win from Fanning. They’ll battle other top seeds C.J. Hobgood (USA), 30, Durbidge and Slater as the ASP Dream Tour continues the European leg.

Highlights from the Quiksilver Pro France will be available at www.quiksilverlive.com

www.quiksilver-press.com

Next stop on the 2009 ASP World Tour will be the Billabong Pro Mundaka from October 5 – 17, 2009.

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE FINAL RESULTS:

1 – Mick Fanning (AUS) 16.66

2 – Bede Durbidge (AUS) 12.87

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE SEMIFINAL RESULTS:

SF 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.76 def. Patrick Beven (FRA) 12.90

SF 2: Mick Fanning (AUS) 17.43 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 12.33

QUIKSILVER PRO FRANCE QUARTERFINAL RESULTS:

QF 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.70 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 13.60

QF 2: Patrick Beven (FRA) 14.86 def. Bobby Martinez (USA) 14.00

QF 3: Tiago Pires (PRT) 17.70 def. Kelly Slater (USA) 17.43

QF 4: Mick Fanning (AUS) 16.00 Taj Burrow def. (AUS) 12.33