Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 13, 2024, 10:30:05
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: WQS Sooruz Lacanau Pro  (Gelesen 10299 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
WQS Sooruz Lacanau Pro
« am: August 13, 2008, 09:25:32 »

Sooruz Lacanau Pro

ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star event

ASP WQS European Series Stop No. 6 of 13

Lacanau, France

12-17 August 2008

Sooruz Lacanau Pro Gets Underway in Testing Conditions in France

Photo: Sam Page (AUS) was in good form today in the tricky waves for Day 1 of the Sooruz Lacanau Pro

LACANAU, France (Tuesday, August 12, 2008) – The Sooruz Lacanau Pro, an Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star event, got underway at the famous French town of Lacanau, home of the oldest professional surfing event in France. Wind-blown tricky waves and sunny skies were today's setting and all Round 1 heats were completed.

From the 192 surfers entered in the event, 144 only remain in contention for the prestigious Sooruz Lacanau Pro crown and some big names will start their French campaign when Round 2 resumes tomorrow.

The tricky conditions and strong currents made it tough for all competitors to post high scores today but almost all favorites managed to make their way through to Round 2. Sam Page (AUS), 22, put on a good performance winning Heat 16 with an average 12.30 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) and was one of a few surfers of the day to find a barrel.

"It was very tough out there and the current made it even harder", Page said. "I cut my head pretty bad on my first wave but it was quite fun still. It was a real washing machine down there but I managed to score enough to get through to next heat."

Page, who spent a year away from tour due to some serious injuries, will attend all events in  Europe this summer and will be looking forward to secure points and climb up the ratings.   

The European contingent suffered heavy losses on the opening day but young guns Marcos San Segundo (EUK) and ASP World Junior No. 3 Charles Martin (GLP) were among those qualifying.

Martin, 18, who has been away from the tour for a couple of months due to school obligations, was in the final of the ASP Grade-1 Oakley Lacanau Pro Junior last Saturday and aims at getting a good result in the ASP WQS 6-Star event.

"I could not hear the scores in the water because of the wind and the rain this morning", Martin said. "The conditions are even more difficult than in the Pro Junior final and I am stoked I got out of this tricky heat."

Martin, who remains a top ASP European Junior surfer, will try and enter as many WQS events as possible in the next months.

"I hope I can do good in the WQS event here because I was a bit ill last week and I am feeling better now", Martin said. "I am still doing Pro Junior events but as I missed already a couple there is not much I can hope on that part."

Russell Winter (GBR) was another European representative to advance today. Winter, a former ASP World Tour member, seemed in good form out in the testing conditions and ended up second to secure his spot in Round 2.

"I broke my wirst three months ago and I am slowly getting back to normal", Winter said. "It is getting better week after week so it is really a relief to feel good again. I got a couple of good waves today but it is always quite difficult in Lacanau and in this kind of conditions  there is a lot of luck involved."

The Australian crew dominated Day 1 and it was Micheal Spencer who got the highest heat tally of the day, an impressive 17.17 point score (out of a possible 20) in Heat 22. Spencer, who impressed with his great style and tactics in England last week, found a great barrel towards the end of his heat to easily advance.

"My aim was to catch as many waves as I could to build on my scores", Spencer said. "I had a lot of fun during that heat and I love the place. I have been competing here for a few years in the Pro Junior event and I really want to reach the man-on-man battles so I will try hard to keep up the good work."

Round 2 will resume at 8 AM (GMT+2) tomorrow Wednesday, August 13 at the main venue of the Sooruz Lacanau Pro.

The Sooruz Lacanau Pro is webcast LIVE at www.aspeurope.com 

ROUND 1 RESULTS
Heat 1 : Wiggolly Dantas (BRA) 11.73 pts, Charlie Brown (BRA) 8.34 pts, Parrish Byrne (AUS) 6.64 pts
Heat 2 : Luke Campbell (AUS), Mason Ho (HAW) 10.00 pts, Adrian Rapp (REU) 4.53 pts, Daniel Billon (FRA) 4.00pts
Heat 3 : Brent Dorrington  (AUS) 9.93 pts, Luke Dorrington  (AUS) 9.87 pts, Hira Teriinatoofa (PYF) 9.10 pts,  Justin Mujica (PRT) 0.00 pts
Heat 4 : Frederico Pilurzu (CRI) 12.67 pts, Shaun Burrell (USA) 10.74 pts, Simon Marchand 6.74 pts, Jatyr Berasaluca (EUK) 5.37 pts
Heat 5 : Jack Perry (AUS) 8.54 pts, Che Stang (USA) 6.70 pts, Txaber Trojaola (EUK) 5.73 pts, Alexander El Naib (DEU) 0.00pts
Heat 6 : Michael Marjanovic (AUS) 12.17 pts, Marco Polo (BRA) 8.00 pts, Marc Lacomare (FRA) 7.87 pts, Milton Morbeck (BRA) 5.14 pts
Heat 7 : Marcos San Segundo (EUK) 11.17 pts, Charles Martin (GLP) 11.06 pts, Brad Ettinger (USA) 10.06 pts, Clint Kimmins (AUS) 5.46 pts
Heat 8 : James Taipan Wood (AUS) 15.34 pts, Guilherme Herdy (BRA) 8.60 pts, Chris Waring (USA) 7.47 pts, Omer Bar (ISR) 5.50 pts
Heat 9 : Chad Compton (USA) 9.80 pts, Joao Guedes (PRT) 9.33 pts, Flynn Novak (HAW) 7.70 pts, Rafael Ayme (REU) 3.53 pts
Heat 10 : Masatoshi Ohno (JPN) 13.00 pts, Bernardo Lopes (BRA) 7.37 pts, Shawn Dennis (ZAF) 6.64 pts, Nick Riley (AUS) 0.00 pts
Heat 11 : Thiago Camarao (BRA) 10.60 pts, Russell Winter (GBR) 9.00 pts, Justin McBride (USA) 5.07 pts, Fergal Smith (IRE) 0.00 pts
Heat 12 : Ryan Campbell (AUS) 13.40 pts, Miguel Ximenez (PRT) 11.76 pts, Adam Virs (USA) 8.83 pts, Cheyne Willis (HAW) 1.00 pts
Heat 13 : Willian Cardoso (BRA) 9.63 pts, Brandon Jackson (ZAF) 7.34 pts, Dale Lovelock (AUS) 6.00 pts, Jeremy Massiere (FRA) 3.33 pts
Heat 14 : Gilmar Silva (BRA) 6.73 pts, Dallas Petersen (AUS) 6.37 pts, Fabio Gouveia (BRA) 4.06 pts, Johnny Fryer (GBR) 2.67 pts
Heat 15 : Jarrad Sullivan (AUS) 7.93 pts, Beau Atchison (AUS) 7.13 pts, Dane Jonhson (USA) 6.94 pts, Wesley de Souza (USA) 4.20 pts
Heat 16 : Sam Page (AUS) 12.30 pts, Nick White (NZL) 7.67 pts, Vincent Duvignac (FRA) 6.36 pts, Adrien Toyon (REU) 6.34 pts
Heat 17 : Ruben Gonzalez (PRT) 12.34 pts, Rowan Aish (NZL) 6.30 pts, Leon Van der Merwe (ZAF) 3.53 pts, Eneko Acero (EUK) 1.30 pts
Heat 18 : Luke Cheadle (AUS) 12.10 pts, Paulo Moura (BRA) 10.67 pts, Pablo Gutierrez (ESP) 8.16 pts, Edgar Nozes (PRT) 6.27 pts
Heat 19 : Dunga Neto (BRA) 12.00 pts, Diego Rosa (BRA) 6.57 pts, Norman Landa (EUK) 4.97 pts, Tony Adams (USA) 1.50 pts
Heat 20 : David Richards (ZAF) 12.23 pts, Jay Quinn (NZL) 11.20 pts, Thomas Bady (FRA) 10.73 pts, Oier Illaramendi (EUK) 0.00 pts
Heat 21 : Steve Noble (AUS) 15.00 pts, Gavin Roberts (ZAF) 14.50 pts, Kyle Knox (USA) 6.47 pts, Damien Chaudoy (REU) 2.80 pts
Heat 22 : Michael Spencer (AUS) 17.17 pts, Frederic Robin (REU) 10.50 pts, Danilo Costa (BRA) 10.23 pts, Kepa Acero (EUK), 2.70 pts
Heat 23 : Christophe Allary (REU) 11.84 pts, Arthur Bourbon (GLP) 8.70 pts, Kellen Ellison (USA) 0.73 pts, Nathan Carroll (HAW) 0.00 pts
Heat 24 : Bobby Hansen (NZL) 9.16 pts, Reubin Pearce (ZAF) 8.30 pts, Nicolau Von Rupp (DEU) 8.10 pts, Ariano Marques (PRT) 3.00 pts

UPCOMING ROUND 2 HEATS
Heat 1 : Corey Ziems (AUS), Travis Logie (ZAF), Wiggoly Dantas (BRA), Mason Ho (HAW)
Heat 2 : Blake Thornton (AUS), Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF), Charlie Brown (BRA), Luke Campbell (AUS)
Heat 3 : Tiago Pires (PRT), Gavin Gillette (HAW), Brent Dorrington (AUS), Frederico Pilurzu (CRI)
Heat 4 : Dustin Cuizon (HAW), Rudy Marechal (FRA), Luke Dorrington (AUS), Frederico Pilurzu (CRI)
Heat 5 : Dane Gudauskas (USA), Tonino Benson (HAW), Jack Perry (AUS), Marco Paulo (BRA)
Heat 6 : Leandro Batsos (BRA), Mike Losness (USA), Che Stang (USA), Michael Marjanovic (AUS)
Heat 7 : Phillip MacDonald (AUS), Paul Fisher (AUS), Marcos San Segundo (EUK), Guilherme Herdy (BRA)
Heat 8 : Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF), Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY), Charles Martin (GLP), James Taipan Wood (AUS)
Heat 9 : Hugo Savalli (REU), Anthony Petruso (USA) Chad Compton (USA), Bernardo Lopes (BRA)
Heat 10 : Glenn Hall (REU), Rudy JNR Palmboom (ZAF), Joao Guedes (PRT) Masatoshi Ohno (JPN)
Heat 11 : Brian Toth (PRI), Eric Rebière (FRA), Thiago Camarao (BRA), Miguel Ximenez (PRT)
Heat 12 : Joel Centeio (HAW), Ben Dunn (AUS), Russell Winter (GBR), Ryan Campbell (AUS)
Heat 13 : Dion Atkinson (AUS), Mark Mathews (AUS), Willian Cardoso (BRA), Dallas Petersen (AUS)
Heat 14 : Makuakai Rothman (HAW), Blake Wilson (AUS), Brandon Jackson (ZAF), Gilmar Silva (BRA)
Heat 15 : Hodei Collazo (EUK), Abdel El Harim (MAR), Jarrad Sullivan (AUS), Nick White (NZL)
Heat 16 : Shaun Ward (USA), Kevin Sullivan (HAW), Beau Atchison (PRT), Sam Page (AUS)
Heat 17 : Patrick Beven (FRA), Daniel Ross (AUS), Ruben Gonzalez (PRT), Paulo Moura (BRA)
Heat 18 : Jarrad Howse (AUS), Romain Laulhe (FRA), Rowan Aish (NZL), Luke Cheadle (AUS)
Heat 19 : Renato Galvao (BRA), Tanner Gudauskas (USA), Dunga Neto (BRA), Jay Quinn (NZL)
Heat 20 : Jadson Andre (BRA), Robson Santos (BRA), Diego Rosa (BRA), David Richards (ZAF)
Heat 21 : Joan Duru (FRA), Heitor Alves (BRA), Steve Noble (AUS), Frederic Robin (REU)
Heat 22 : Jean Da Silva (BRA), Jean Sebastien Estienne (BLM), Gavin Roberts (ZAF), Michael Spencer (AUS)
Heat 23 : Alain Riou (PYF), Sterling Spencer (USA), Christophe Allary (REU), Reubin Pearce (ZAF)
Heat 24 : Andre Silva (BRA), Mikael Picon (FRA), Arthur Bourbon (GLP), Bobby Hansen (NZL)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: WQS Sooruz Lacanau Pro
« Antwort #1 am: August 13, 2008, 09:26:09 »

Marlon ist ab Runde 3 dabei, mal schauen ob er ein weiteres gutes Ergebnis einfahren kann

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: August 14, 2008, 15:24:37 »

Sooruz Lacanau Pro

Lacanau, France

12-17 August 2008

Favorites Dominate Solid Tricky Waves on Day 2 of Sooruz Lacanau Pro

Photo: Tiago Pires (PRT), ASP World Tour rookie this year, got through Round 2 in the tricky conditions today

LACANAU, France (Wednesday, August 13, 2008) – The second day of the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Sooruz Lacanau Pro witnessed some tough action today with Heats 1 to 20 of Round 2 being completed in messy solid four to six foot (1.2 to 2 meter) waves at Lacanau. The challenging conditions made it hard for competitors to post big scores but fourty men still managed to secure a ticket for Round 3 and join the event top seeds starting tomorrow.

From recent event winner Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) to favorite and ASP World Tour member Tiago Pires (PRT), including Sam Page (AUS) and former Dream Tour surfer Jarrad Howse (AUS), most of today’s big names were able to get away with at least a second place in their respective battles, enough to make it through to the next encounters.

Tiago Pires (PRT), 26, a rookie on this year’s ASP World Tour, was much awaited for his start in the Lacanau Pro and paddled out in Heat 3 to try and get the pressure off him. Pires, who just came back from Indonesia where he placed equal 3rd, was in good form and ended up winning the 4-man battle with solid surfing.

"It was so hard out there, I am glad to get away with a win", Pires said. "The current and the waves were really tricky and it was a struggle to remain in position and find some good enough rides."

Pires, who is currently rated No. 27 on the ASP World Tour, will face Californian and ASP WQS Top 10 member Brett Simpson (USA) in Round 3 for an expected exciting heat.

Wiggoly Dantas (BRA), 18, who won the ASP WQS 5-Star in England last Sunday, came  close to an elimination  in the opening heat of the day but managed to catch a last-minute ride and advance through to Round 3, remaining in contention for a possible second consecutive event victory.

"It was pretty hard out there and I just had one good wave", Dantas said. "I was relaxed enough still and I waited patiently for that last wave to come and it was enough so I am stoked."

Dantas, who is now seen as the No. 1 giant killer after his impressive run in Newquay, will once again be a threat to all top seeded surfers in Round 3.

"I am having a bit of trouble with my ears at the moment, I have an infection I believe but I am still feeling well and fit", Dantas said. "I am not thinking of any ratings or pressure, I just want to have fun and keep improving against all these excellent sirfers."

Dantas will surf in Heat 2 of Round 3 against former elite member Gabe Kling (USA) and one of France’s best hopes Tim Boal (FRA) to try and secure another good result.

The International contingent led by Australian Luke Campbell (AUS), Hawaiian Joel Centeio (HAW) and Gilmar Silva (BRA), kept up the good work finding some of the day’s best scores.

Luke Campbell (AUS), 22, usually at ease in solid waves, put on a strong performance to win Heat 2 and advance with a 14.43 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) including an excellent 9.00 point ride (out of a possible 10).

"I can’t believe I managed to score a 9.00 point ride out there, it was so hard to find a good  wave and it was very difficult to find the right position as well", Campbell said. "It was bigger today and it was kind of slippery and bumpy with this wind but I made it so I just hope for tomorrow to be a bit easier."

Campbell, who has the second best wave score of the event thus far, will be confident in the forecast decreasing conditions for Round 3. Also confident in today’s bigger waves was Hawaii’s Joel Centeio (HAW) who managed to best ASP Top 45 surfer Ben Dunn (AUS) and defeat Russell Winter (GBR) and Ryan Campbell (AUS).

Centeio, who made the Quarterfinals in Lacanau last year in the same conditions, looked comfortable on the solid six foot sections rising in the messy ocean and posted an 8.00 point ride with a 6.53 back up wave to finish Heat 12 ahead.

"I had very good surfers in my heat so I am pretty stoked to get through to it", Centeio said. "I had a lot of fun out there actually because I like challenging conditions and some pretty solid waves came through during my heat."

Centeio will have another tough battle in Round 3 as he will face reigning ASP European Junior champion Romain Cloitre (REU) and Brazilian powerhouse and ASP Top 45 campaigner Leonardo Neves (BRA) in Heat 12.

Also advancing today were European top surfers Romain Laulhe (FRA), Eric Rebiere (FRA) and Ruben Gonzalez (PRT), young gun and ASP World Junior No. 3 Charles Martin (GLP) producing some consistent surf to defeat Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF), James Wood (AUS) and Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY) to reach Round 3.

Abdel El Harim (MAR), only Moroccan surfer among the ASP World Qulaifying Series, came up with a good result as well, winning Heat 15 ahead of other regional star Hodei Collazo (EUK).

"I can’t believe I won the heat", El Harim said. "It thought I was 4th so it was a big surprise for me when I got back to the beach marshall. It is my third time in Lacanau but the first one I manage to get through a round so it is already a good confidence boost."

Round 2 was stopped after Heat 20 due to the conditions becoming unsurfable and too messy and the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) competitors and judges will meet at 7.30 AM Friday, August 14. Miky Picon (FRA), current ASP World Tour No. 23 will surf in the fourth heat of the day.

ROUND 2 RESULTS
Heat 1 : Travis Logie (ZAF) 14.07 pts, Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) 12.33 pts, Mason Ho (HAW) 12.27 pts, Corey Ziems (AUS) 7.43 pts
Heat 2 : Luke Campbell (AUS) 14.43 pts, Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF) 12.67 pts, Charlie Brown (BRA) 11.84 pts, Blake Thornton (AUS) 10.57 pts
Heat 3 : Tiago Pires (PRT) 13.50 pts, Brent Dorrington (AUS) 10.53 pts, Shawn Burrell (USA) 9.93 pts, Gavin Gillette (HAW) 4.40 pts
Heat 4 : Dustin Cuizon (HAW) 11.67 pts, Luke Dorrington (AUS) 11.16 pts, Frederico Pilurzu (CRI) 7.84 pts, Rudy Marechal (FRA) 4.80 pts
Heat 5 : Dane Gudauskas (USA) 13.33 pts, Marco Paulo (BRA) 8.57 pts, Tonino Benson (HAW) 7.40 pts, Jack Perry (AUS) 6.70 pts
Heat 6 : Mike Losness (USA) 12.77 pts, Che Stang (USA) 12.27 pts, Leandro Batsos (BRA) 10.66 pts, Michael Marjanovic (AUS) 6.83 pts
Heat 7 : Guilherme Herdy (BRA) 13.34 pts, Phillip MacDonald (AUS) 11.34 pts, Marcos San Segundo (EUK) 7.83 pts, Paul Fisher (AUS) 7.50 pts
Heat 8 : Charles Martin (GLP) 11.60 pts, Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF) 11.00 pts, James Taipan Wood (AUS) 7.70 pts, Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY) 6.66 pts
Heat 9 : Chad Compton (USA) 13.83 pts, Anthony Petruso (USA) 10.17 pts, Hugo Savalli (REU) 8.20 pts, Bernardo Lopes (BRA) 6.00 pts
Heat 10 : Glenn Hall (IRE) 13.23 pts, Masatoshi Ohno (JPN) 9.40 pts, Joao Guedes (PRT) 9.00 pts, Rudy JNR Palmboom (ZAF) 5.50 pts
Heat 11 : Eric Rebière (FRA) 10.76 pts, Miguel Ximenez (PRT) 9.40 pts, Brian Toth (PRI) 8.43 pts, Thiago Camarao (BRA) 3.84 pts
Heat 12 : Joel Centeio (HAW) 14.53 pts, Ben Dunn (AUS) 14.10 pts, Ryan Campbell (AUS) 12.50 pts, Russell Winter (GBR) 5.73 pts
Heat 13 : Dion Atkinson (AUS), Mark Mathews (AUS), Willian Cardoso (BRA), Dallas Petersen (AUS)
Heat 14 : Gilmar Silva (BRA) 14.84 pts, Brandon Jackson (ZAF) 10.44 pts, Blake Wilson (AUS) 6.90 pts, Makuakai Rothman (HAW) 2.37 pts
Heat 15 : Abdel El Harim (MAR) 13.84 pts, Hodei Collazo (EUK) 12.20 pts, Nick White (NZL) 7.57 pts, Jarrad Sullivan (AUS) 7.50 pts
Heat 16 : Sam Page (AUS) 13.00pts, Beau Atchison (PRT) 9.97 pts, Kevin Sullivan (HAW) 8.73 pts, Shaun Ward (USA) 2.57 pts
Heat 17 : Ruben Gonzalez (PRT) 11.90 pts, Paulo Moura (BRA) 9.60 pts, Daniel Ross (AUS) 9.17 pts, Patrick Beven (FRA) 4.33 pts
Heat 18 : Jarrad Howse (AUS) 12.67 pts, Romain Laulhe (FRA) 10.40 pts, Luke Cheadle (AUS) 7.50 pts, Rowan Aish (NZL) 5.63 pts
Heat 19 : Dunga Neto (BRA), 14.10 pts, Renato Galvao (BRA) 11.17 pts, Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 9.27 pts, Jay Quinn (NZL) 6.50 pts
Heat 20 : Robson Santos (BRA) 13.34 pts, Diego Rosa (BRA) 10.93 pts, David Richards (ZAF) 9.87 pts, Jadson Andre (BRA) 6.90 pts

REMAINING ROUND 2 HEATS
Heat 21 : Joan Duru (FRA), Heitor Alves (BRA), Steve Noble (AUS), Frederic Robin (REU)
Heat 22 : Jean Da Silva (BRA), Jean Sebastien Estienne (BLM), Gavin Roberts (ZAF), Michael Spencer (AUS)
Heat 23 : Alain Riou (PYF), Sterling Spencer (USA), Christophe Allary (REU), Reubin Pearce (ZAF)
Heat 24 : Andre Silva (BRA), Mikael Picon (FRA), Arthur Bourbon (GLP), Bobby Hansen (NZL)

UPCOMING ROUND 3 HEATS
Heat 1 : Mick Campbell (AUS), Adrien Valero (FRA), Travis Logie (ZAF), Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF)
Heat 2 : Gabe Kling (USA), Tim Boal (FRA), Wiggolly Dantas (BRA), Luke Campbell (AUS)
Heat 3 : Brett Simpson (USA), Jihad Khodr (BRA), Tiago Pires (PRT), Luke Dorrington (AUS)
Heat 4 : Drew Courtney (AUS), Yuri Sodre (BRA), Brent Dorrington (AUS), Dustin Cuizon (HAW)
Heat 5 : Nathaniel Curran (USA), Bernardo Miranda (BRA), Dane Gudauskas (USA), Che Stang (USA)
Heat 6 : Shaun Cansdell (AUS), Michel Bourez (PYF), Marco Polo (BRA), Mike Losness (USA)
Heat 7 : Sunny Garcia (HAW), Dustin Barca (HAW), Guilherme Herdy (BRA), Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF)
Heat 8 : Chris Davison (AUS), Odirlei Coutinho (BRA), Phillip Mac Donald (AUS), Charles Martin (GLP)
Heat 9 : Patrick Gudauskas (USA), Matt Wilkinson (AUS, Chad Compton (USA), Masatoshi Ohno (JPN)
Heat 10 : Nathan Yeomans (USA), Rhys Bombaci (AUS), Anthony Petruso (USA), Glenn Hall (IRE)
Heat 11 : Adam Melling (AUS), Raoni Monteiro (BRA), Eric Rebière (FRA), Ben Dunn (AUS)
Heat 12 : Leonardo Neves (BRA), Romain Cloitre (FRA), Miguel Ximenez (PRT), Joel Centeio (HAW)
Heat 13 : Rodrigo Dornelles, Miguel Pupo (BRA), Brandon Jackson (ZAF), TBC
Heat 14 : Yadin Nicol (AUS), Austin Ware (USA), Gilmar Silva (BRA), TBC
Heat 15 : Marlon Lipke (DEU), Kirk Flintoff (AUS), Abdel El Harim (MAR), Beau Atchison (AUS)
Heat 16 : Hizunome Bettero (BRA), Simao Romao (BRA), Hodei Collazo (EUK), Sam Page (AUS)
Heat 17 : David Weare (ZAF), Warwick Wright (ZAF), Ruben Gonzales (PRT), Romain Laulhe (FRA)
Heat 18 : Adam Vic Robertson (AUS), Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), Paulo Moura (BRA), Jarrad Howse (AUS)
Heat 19 : Nic Muscroft (AUS), Nathan Hedge (AUS), Dunga Neto (BRA), Diego Rosa (BRA)
Heat 20 : Perdro Henrique (BRA), TJ Barrow (HAW), Renato Galvao (BRA), Robson Santos (BRA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: August 14, 2008, 16:51:37 »

Tja Schade, Marlon gleich in seinem 1. Heat ausgeschieden

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: August 14, 2008, 21:35:58 »

Sooruz Lacanau Pro

Lacanau, France

12-17 August 2008

Barrels and Off-Shore Winds Bless Top Seeds on Day 3 in Lacanau

Photo: Beau Atchinson (AUS) found of the best barrels on Day 3 of competition and advanced defeating current ASP WQS No. 9 Marlon Lipke (DEU) in Heat 15

LACANAU, France (Thursday, August 14, 2008) – Top seeds and barrels attracted massive crowds for Day 3 of the ASP WQS 6-Star Sooruz Lacanau Pro and it was another marathon day with 25 heats wrapped up in clean four to five foot (1.2 to 1.5 meter) waves. From current ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) ratings' leaders to ASP World Tour campaigners, world class surfers displayed some hot action.

Nathaniel Curran (USA), current international WQS ratings' leader, opened his French campaign with a win in Heat 5 and could leave the water relieved despite a low 8.40 heat tally (out of a possible 20). Curran, younger brother of former ASP World Tour surfer and 1999 Lacanau Pro champion Timmy Curran (USA), managed to find his way out of the tricky fast-breaking conditions and will surf in Round 4 tomorrow.

"The conditions were very tricky and you don't really know where to sit", Curran said. "Two of us went out back and two stayed at the inside so it was a bit of a gamble. I am glad I got two okay waves."

Curran, who now bears the "man-to-beat" status, was relaxed after his heat and is looking forward to his much anticipated Round 4 battle against former event winner Shaun Cansdell (AUS), former ASP World Champion Sunny Garcia (HAW) and current WQS top surfer Chris Davidson (AUS).

"I am trying not to think about ratings at the moment", Curran said. "I am focusing on one heat at a time and I am really not worried about the rest. I remember taking a picture of my brother Tim (Curran) when he won nine years ago and I would love to have that same look on the face."

Positionning and wave choice were the keys to success today and some perfect rides were scored by Australians Yadin Nicol (AUS) and Nic Muscroft (AUS).

Yadin Nicol (AUS), 22, was on fire and came up with the most impressive performance of the day posting a perfect 10.00 point ride right after a near perfect 9.33 pointer (both out of a possible 10) to end up with the highest heat result of the Sorruz Lacanau Pro at this stage.

"I am stoked to start off with such a result", Nicol said. "The waves were pretty fun and really rippable and I found that long enough barrel and came out. It came from nowhere and I was pretty lucky."

Nicol, rated No. 14 coming to France, has had his best year on tour thus far and will be  chasing a couple more of big results to keep any possible ASP Top 45 inception for 2009. He will surf in Heat 7 when competition resumes.

The clean and solid waves pleased the Hawaiian crew usually at ease in hollower and faster conditions. Day 3 of competition saw the start of former ASP World Champion Sunny Garcia (HAW) who surfed and advanced with fellow Hawaiian Dustin Barca (HAW) after finding some of the best barrels of the day.

"I am very happy to be back in Lacanau", Garcia said. "It was a close heat but the waves were fun and I am stoked to make it with Dustin (Barca)."

Garcia, rated No. 8 coming to France, is on a quest to requalify for the ASP World Tour he left several years ago and seems unstoppable thus far. Chasing three big results to replace his low throw-away scores, Garcia will be a serious opponent to any competitor.

The European contingent was in good form as well and ASP World Tour rookie Tiago Pires (PRT) confirmed his Round 2 solid performance with another win today against serious contenders Luke Dorrington (AUS), Brett Simpson (USA) and Jihad Khodr (BRA).

"It was the most difficult heat thus far with the strong current", Pires said. "I was pretty tired after that heat and Luke (Dorrington) is an excellent competitor so I am relieved to get that win and keep going."

Pires will surf with fellow European Tim Boal (FRA) in Heat 2 tomorrow, while other European Round 4 qualifiers Romain Laulhe (FRA) and Charles Martin (GLP) will respectively surf in Heat 10 and 4.

Major upsets occured during this day of action and several favorites including much awaited Europeans Lipke and Bourez suffered early losses.

Marlon Lipke (DEU), current No. 9 among the WQS leaders, placed third in his heat losing to Beau Atchinson (AUS) and Kirk Flintoff (AUS). Lipke who has been on a good roll since the US Open of Surfing at Huntington Beach, was stopped today and will be looking forward to the upcoming event in Hossegor. Michel Bourez (PYF) had a shocker in Heat 6 finishing 4th in a low scoring battle where he did not manage to get more than a surprising 5.43 point tally (out of a possible 20).

Twenty-five heats were done today to take advantage of the good waves on offer and all remaining competitors will meet at 8.30 AM tomorrow morning to assess conditions.

ROUND 3 RESULTS
Heat 1 : Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF) 10.27 pts, Travis Logie (ZAF) 9.00 pts, Adrien Valero (FRA) 7.94 pts, Mick Campbell (AUS) 0.00 pts
Heat 2 : Gabe Kling (USA) 11.00 pts, Tim Boal (FRA) 9.67 pts, Wiggolly Dantas (BRA) 9.53 pts, Luke Campbell (AUS) 7.47 pts
Heat 3 : Tiago Pires (PRT) 9.93 pts, Luke Dorrington (AUS) 8.13 pts, Jihad Khodr (BRA) 5.73 pts, Brett Simpson (USA) 3.44 pts
Heat 4 : Brent Dorrington (AUS) 16.00 pts, Drew Courtney (AUS) 15.00 pts, Dustin Cuizon (HAW) 10.67 pts, Yuri Sodre (BRA) 7.10 pts
Heat 5 : Nathaniel Curran (USA) 8.40 pts, Dane Gudauskas (USA) 7.50 pts, Che Stang (USA) 7.34 pts, Bernardo Miranda (BRA) 4.46 pts
Heat 6 : Shaun Cansdell (AUS) 10.83 pts, Mike Losness (USA) 10.50 pts, Marco Polo (BRA) 9.70 pts, Michel Bourez (PYF) 5.43 pts
Heat 7 : Dustin Barca (HAW) 16.97 pts, Sunny Garcia (HAW) 13.17 pts, Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF) 12.87 pts, Guilherme Herdy (BRA) 7.83 pts
Heat 8 : Charles Martin (GLP) 11.93 pts, Chris Davison (AUS) 11.43 pts, Phillip Mac Donald (AUS) 9.30 pts,  Odirlei Coutinho (BRA) 7.83 pts
Heat 9 : Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 16.17 pts, Masatoshi Ohno (JPN) 11.90 pts, Chad Compton (USA) 11.10 pts, Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 9.60 pts
Heat 10 : Glenn Hall (IRE) 14.84 pts, Nathan Yeomans (USA) 12.93 pts, Rhys Bombaci (AUS) 11.67 pts, Anthony Petruso (USA) 2.80 pts
Heat 11 : Raoni Monteiro (BRA) 15.00 pts, Ben Dunn (AUS) 13.13 pts, Adam Melling (AUS) 11.86 pts, Eric Rebière (FRA) 9.93 pts
Heat 12 : Joel Centeio (HAW) 13.03 pts, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 11.17 pts, Romain Cloitre (FRA) 8.20 pts, Miguel Ximenez (PRT) 7.50 pts
Heat 13 : Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 17.00 pts, Dion Atkinson (AUS) 13.83 pts, Miguel Pupo (BRA) 12.67 pts, Brandon Jackson (ZAF) 6.83 pts
Heat 14 : Yadin Nicol (AUS) 19.33 pts, Austin Ware (USA) 11.33, Mark Mathews (AUS) 8.40 pts, Gilmar Silva (BRA) 5.96 pts
Heat 15 : Beau Atchison (AUS) 14.00 pts, Kirk Flintoff (AUS) 13.13 pts, Marlon Lipke (DEU) 10.43 pts, Abdel El Harim (MAR) 7.80 pts
Heat 16 : Simao Romao (BRA) 15.37 pts, Sam Page (AUS) 9.50 pts, Hodei Collazo (EUK) 8.00 pts, Hizunome Bettero (BRA) 6.30 pts
Heat 17 : David Weare (ZAF) 16.00 pts, Romain Laulhe (FRA) 12.57 pts, Warwick Wright (ZAF) 11.77 pts, Ruben Gonzales (PRT) 6.57 pts
Heat 18 : Paulo Moura (BRA) 16.00 pts, Adam Vic Robertson (AUS) 14.13 pts, Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 9.57 pts, Jarrad Howse (AUS) 11.80 pts
Heat 19 : Nic Muscroft (AUS) 14.33 pts, Nathan Hedge (AUS) 10.63 pts, Diego Rosa (BRA) 9.07 pts, Dunga Neto (BRA) 8.00 pts
Heat 20 : Perdro Henrique (BRA) 13.10 pts, Robson Santos (BRA) 11.57 pts, Renato Galvao (BRA) 11.00 pts, TJ Barron (HAW) 7.00 pts

REMAINING ROUND 3 HEATS
Heat 21 : Pablo Paulino (BRA), Josh Kerr (AUS), Frederic Robin (REU), Gavin Roberts (ZAF)
Heat 22 : Greg Emslie, Gony Zubizarreta (ESP), Heitor Alves (BRA), Jean Sebastien Estienne (BLM)
Heat 23 : Shaun Gossmann (AUS), Leigh Sedley (AUS), Alain Riou (PYF), Mikael Picon (FRA)
Heat 24 : Neco Paradaratz (BRA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK), Reubin Pearce (ZAF), Andre Silva (BRA)

UPCOMING ROUND 4 HEATS
Heat 1 : Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF), Gabe Kling (USA), Luke Dorrington (AUS), Drew Courtney (AUS)
Heat 2 : Travis Logie (ZAF), Tim Boal (FRA), Tiago Pires (PRT), Brent Dorrington (AUS)
Heat 3 : Nathaniel Curran (USA), Shaun Cansdell (AUS), Sunny Garcia (HAW), Chris Davidson (AUS)
Heat 4 : Dane Gudauskas (USA), Mike Losness (USA), Dustin Barca (HAW), Charles Martin (GLP)
Heat 5 : Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Glenn hall (IRE), Ben Dunn (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA)
Heat 6 : Masatoshi Ohno (JPN), Nathan Yeomans (USA), Raoni Monteiro (BRA), Joel Centeio (HAW)
Heat 7 : Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Yadin Nicol (AUS), Kirk Flintoff (AUS), Sam Page (AUS)
Heat 8 : Dion Atkinson (AUS), Austin Ware (AUS), Beau Atchinson (AUS), Simao Romao (BRA)
Heat 9 : David Weare (ZAF), Paulo Moura (BRA), Nathan Hedge (AUS), Robson Santos (BRA)
Heat 10 : Romain Laulhe (FRA), Adam Vic Robertson (AUS), Nic Muscroft (AUS), Perdro Henrique (BRA)
Heat 11: TBA
Heat 12: TBA

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: August 16, 2008, 13:10:28 »

Sooruz Lacanau Pro

Lacanau, France

12-17 August 2008

Kerr Sets the Pace Leading last 24 Men into Round 6 of Sooruz Lacanau Pro

Photo: Tim Boal (FRA) was one of several excellent surfers to advance today setting pace for the weekend's battles

LACANAU, France (Friday, August 15, 2008) – Clean three foot (one meter) waves, some sun and light winds were the setting of Day 4 of the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Sooruz Lacanau Pro, and it was another day of great action at the French surf town. Round 4 was completed in front of a massive crowd and 24 men only remain in contention for "the French Pro" title.

Josh Kerr (AUS), former ASP World Tour member, surfed with his custom made flying maneuvers and impressive speed and secured the day’s best heat result, an 18.13 point tally (out of a possible 20) to advance through to Round 5.

"I had a lot fun in that heat and I really love the waves here", Kerr said. "I was a bit lucky to find such good waves and launching ramps to put on a couple of airs today so I am stoked."

Kerr, who stepped away from the tour last year after not requalifying for the ASP World Tour, surfed a few events only this year but remains in top form and is a potential winner in the fast and small conditions.

"I am really focused on that event and I would like to make the final", Kerr said. "I will just get a go in the Expression Session then rest and get ready for tomorrow."

From the seven ASP Top 45 members who surfed today, five made it through to Round 5 and current No. 27 in the world Tiago Pires (PRT) managed again to secure a heat victory ahead of fellow European and WQS No. 22 Tim Boal (FRA).

"I am stoked to get through and see other Europeans still in the event", Pires said. "The conditions have changed a lot every day and even throughout the days so we need to adapt and assess conditions with a different approach every heat."

Pires, who has surfed four WQS events only this year, is en route to another solid result and could be climbing up the ratings if he keeps going with such an impressive consistency. He will meet Luke Dorrington (AUS) and Nathaniel Curran (USA).

Boal, who placed 2nd to Curran in the ASP WQS 6-Star at Huntignton Beach last month, remains well in position to join the 2009 ASP World Tour and is looking forward to securing antoher major result in Lacanau.

"I am happy to be in Round 3 already", Boal said. "I usually feel good here and if the conditions can remain good enough it will be a nice finish. I had a big result in California but you want to win whenever you paddle out with a rashguard on so I am looking to keep going."

Completing Europe’s successful crew was 18-year-old top Junior competitor Charles Martin (GLP) who created a major upset eliminating Hawaii’s powerhouse Dustin Barca (HAW) to reach Round 5 of a major event for the second time of his career.

"It is really good to make that heat against such tough opponents", Martin said. "Last time I made that round was in the ASP WQS 6-Star Prime event in Scotland two years ago and I am really stoked to get through again today."

Martin, ASP World Junior No. 3, stands as one of the most promissing upcoming French surfers and will be a potential giant-killer when he paddles out in Round 5 against ASP World Tour campaigner Leonardo Neves (BRA) and Joel Centeio (HAW).

Yadin Nicol (AUS), 22, was once again a standout for the second consecutive day and leads the Australian contingent towards the showdown confidently. With Chris Davidson, Nathan Hedge, Dion Atkinson, Drew Courtney and Luke Dorrington already in tomorrow’s draw, surfers from Down Under will be the strong nation for the weekend finals.

Nicol dominated his Round 4 battle with solid speed, tactics and wave choice to end up with another excellent 17.56 point heat result (out of a possible 20), the third best score of the event thus far after his near perfect 19.33 point result in Round 3.

"It was so fun out there and the waves were really hitable and came to me", Nicol said. "I have been a little bit lucky yesterday with that big result and appearently it going my way again so it is just great for confidence and I hope I can do good tomorrow again."

Nicol, who was rated No. 14 coming to France, will better his throw-away result easily thanks to his run in the Sooruz Lacanau Pro, and is seen as a favorite towards the 2008 crown.

Brazilian rippers kept the pressure on the international contingent as well today and current ASP World Tour chargers Neco Padaratz and Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) led the green and yellow batallion with fellow surfers Simao Romao, Leonardo Neves, Paulo Moura all getting through to Round 5 and displaying some world class surfing to advance.

"Patience was the key to win", Padaratz said. "I go through two rounds today, it was a very long day and I had to adapt to the conditions that changed so fast from the morning to the afternoon. I am stoked with that last heat because I had lots of waves and fun."

The last 24 surfers in contention for the 2008 Sooruz Lacanau Pro title will be ready to go at 8 AM (GMT+2) and two rounds are scheduled for Day 5 of competition.

UPCOMING ROUND 5
Heat 1 : Luke Dorrington (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT), Nathaniel Curran (USA)
Heat 2 : Drew Courtney (AUS), Tim Boal (FRA), Chris Davidson (AUS)
Heat 3 : Mike Losness (USA), Glenn Hall (IRE), Masatoshi Ohno (AUS)
Heat 4 : Charles Martin (GLP), Leonardo Neves (BRA), Joel Centeio (HAW)
Heat 5 : Yadin Nicol (AUS), Simao Romao (BRA), Nathan Hedge (AUS)
Heat 6 : Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Dion Atkinson (AUS), Paulo Moura (BRA)
Heat 7 : Nic Muscroft (AUS), Josh Kerr (AUS), Greg Emslie (ZAF)
Heat 8 : Pedro Henrique (BRA), Heitor Alves (BRA), Neco Padaratz (BRA)

ROUND 4 RESULTS
Heat 1 : Luke Dorrington (AUS) 14.57 pts, Drew Courtney (AUS) 13.37 pts, Gabe Kling (USA) 12.60 pts, Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF) 11.50 pts
Heat 2 : Tiago Pires (PRT) 15.83 pts, Tim Boal (FRA) 13.73 pts, Travis Logie (ZAF) 8.93 pts, Brent Dorrington (AUS) 8.77 pts
Heat 3 : Chris Davidson (AUS) 14.73 pts, Nathaniel Curran (USA) 14.54 pts, Shaun Cansdell (AUS) 13.40 pts, Sunny Garcia (HAW) 12.90 pts
Heat 4 : Mike Losness (USA) 14.30 pts, Charles Martin (GLP) 13.93 pts, Dustin Barca (HAW) 12.50 pts, Dane Gudauskas (USA) 8.03 pts
Heat 5 : Glenn Hall (IRE) 16.30 pts, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 15.04 pts, Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 11.94 pts, Ben Dunn (AUS) 11.30 pts
Heat 6 : Joel Centeio (HAW) 15.24 pts, Masatoshi Ohno (JPN) 15.03 pts, Raoni Monteiro (BRA) 13.70 pts, Nathan Yeomans (USA) 8.73 ptsss
Heat 7 : Yadin Nicol (AUS) 17.56 pts, Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 13.66 pts, Kirk Flintoff (AUS) 13.44 pts, Sam Page (AUS) 11.10 pts
Heat 8 : Simao Romao (BRA) 13.40 ptspts, Dion Atkinson (AUS) 11.23 pts, Beau Atchinson (AUS) 10.24 pts, Austin Ware (AUS) 8.97 pts,
Heat 9 : Paulo Moura (BRA) 13.77 pts, Nathan Hedge (AUS) 13.27 pts, David Weare (ZAF) 12.80 pts, Robson Santos (BRA) 8.50 pts
Heat 10 : Nic Muscroft (AUS) 15.17 pts, Perdro Henrique (BRA) 10.33 pts, Romain Laulhe (FRA) .67 pts, Adam Vic Robertson (AUS) 8.26 pts
Heat 11 : Josh Kerr (AUS) 18.33 pts, Heitor Alves (BRA) 10.93 pts, Leigh Sedley (AUS) 8.87 pts, Reubin Pearce (ZAF) 8.77 pts
Heat 12 : Neco Padaratz (BRA) 14.60 pts, Greg Emslie (ZAF) 14.33 pts, Pablo Paulino (BRA) 13.50 pts, Shaun Gossmann (AUS) 8.00 pts

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: August 17, 2008, 15:37:20 »

Sooruz Lacanau Pro

Lacanau, France

12-17 August 2008

Kerr, Nicol and Pires Dominate Proceedings en route to the Showdown

Photo: Yadin Nicol (AUS) flying to another excellent result this year during Day 5 of the ASP WQS 6-Star Sooruz Lacanau Pro

LACANAU, France (Saturday, August 16, 2008) – Clean glassy three foot (one meter) waves gave the ASP WQS 6-Star Sooruz Lacanau Pro another great day of action at the famous beachbreak of Lacanau, and all 24 surfers competing today offered some of the best surfing witnessed in Europe this year. The champion will be crowned tomorrow Sunday, August 17, and the pressure has settled over the competitors’ area as from now on, any point more will be a crucial step towards a possible ASP World Tour inception.

Tiago Pires (PRT), 26, ASP World Tour No. 27 who recently ended Kelly Slater’s (USA) supremacy by defeating the 8X ASP World Champion in Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro Search, was a standout today again securing his Quarterfinal birth with an impressive 17.26 point heat tally (out of a possible 20).

Pires, who has been very consistent in the few WQS events he attended this year, used tactics and excellent surfing to catch up with Chris Davidson (AUS) in a last minute exchange that gave him the win.

"I did not have any pressure during that heat but I remained focused and ready to get the wave that would give me the score", Pires said. "Davo (Chris Davidson) was ahead all heat but I was feeling really good and I knew that I had to wait for a better wave to catch up."

Pires will meet ratings’ leader Nathaniel Curran (USA) first thing tomorrow morning and is seen as a serious crown contender by journalists and public in Lacanau.

"I am just looking for the best waves and when you are in Man-on-man heats you have to use your priority and surf them at your best", Pires said. "I will do exactly the same tomorrow and I will go heat by heat, adapting to the conditions."

Fellow European surfer Tim Boal (FRA) had a different fate and was eliminated by ratings’ leader Nathaniel Curran (USA) in Round 6, equalling his result from 2007 in Lacanau. Curran, who has not done worse than an equal 5th in the last three events he attended, came up with excellent tactics to finish ahead of the Frenchman.

"The conditions were really good and Tim (Boal) is a great surfer so we had a good heat", Curran said. "It was tough and I just got slighlty better waves and am now in Quarterfinals. I really like the one-to-one format and it makes it easier to surf the waves with most potential."

Curran, who won the prestigious ASP WQS 6-Star US Open Of Surfing at Huntington in California last month, remains in good position to extend his ratings’ lead in Lacanau.

"I have been surfing that same board since Huntington and I am just feeling good", Curran said. "My brother Tim – a former ASP World Tour campaigner – won in Lacanau almost ten years ago and I would love to feel the same tomorrow."

The Australia Vs Brazil clash went to the Down Under crew with all Brazilian surfers losing in Round 6 to their Australian opponents, Greg Emslie (ZAF) being the only non-Australian surfer to defeat a Brazilian surfer.

Yadin Nicol (AUS) and Josh Kerr (AUS) once again took command of the Australian batallion taking off in the small hollow launch ramp conditions in front of the morning crowd and respectively posted 17.54 and 19.40 point heat tallies (out of a possible 20) in Round 5 before securing a second win in Round 6 and reach the final day.

"It was just another really fun day with good waves and I went out there to have fun", Kerr said. "It was similar to yesterday and I just looked for some bigger set waves to get a couple of airs and it all went my way so I am really happy."

Fellow Aussie Nicol had to get through a very close battle and a last second exchange with ASP World Tour member Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) to make it to Quarterfinals.

"So stoked to get through that last heat", Nicol said. "It was very close and I just let go and went for some big moves and made it. I was very focused and this Quarterfinal is crucial so I hope I can do as good tomorrow."

Mike Losness (USA), Greg Emslie (ZAF) and Joel Centeio (HAW) were among those advancing today as well, Centeio being the last Hawaiian representative in contention for the crown.

Centeio, who reached Quarterfinals of the Sooruz Lacanau Pro in 2007, equalled his result after defeating Irish-Australian Glenn Hall (IRE) in Round 6.

"We had a good time out there and both surfed some good waves", Centeio said. "With only two guys in the water you have to be patient but you still have to surf and get points. I got that first big score then Glenn (Hall) took the lead before that last wave came to me. I am stoked."

The last Hawaiian to win the event was Kaipo Jaquias (HAW) in 1996, and Centeio will be looking forward to reaching the final at least.

The final day will start at 8.30 AM (GMT+2) with the official call before Quarterfinals get underway in expected three to four foot (1 to 1.2 meter) waves. 

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: August 18, 2008, 09:51:10 »

Nathaniel Curran Extends ASP WQS Ratings Lead with a Victory at the Sooruz Lacanau Pro.

HUNTINGTON BEACH, California (Sunday, August 17, 2008) – Nathaniel Curran (Oxnard, CA), 24, continues to extend his Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Qualifying Series (WQS) ratings lead through the European leg after his victory over Dion Atkinson (Seaford, AUS) this week at the ASP WQS 6-Star Sooruz Lacanau Pro held in Lacanau, France. The win by Curran brings the event title back to the family after older brother Timmy Curran (Oxnard, CA) won the event nine years ago.

The California standout led the charge for North American competitors alongside Mike Losness (San Clemente, CA), 27, as the only two North American surfers to crack the Quarterfinals in the event. The Sooruz Lacanau pro is one of a series of ASP WQS 5-Star and 6-Star events held in Europe that play a significant role in many ASP WQS campaigners’ chances towards qualification for the ASP World Tour.

Curran tacked on 2500 points towards his cause for qualification towards the 2009 ASP Dream Tour, continuing his hot streak against some of the globe’s finest up-and-coming surfers, proving why the young Californian is No. 1 on the ASP WQS. The west coaster bested an international field of talent including Honda U.S. Open Finalist Tim Boal (Hossegor, FRA), former ASP World Champion Sunny Garcia (Waianae, HI), former ASP World Tour campaigner Shaun Cansdell (Emerald Beach, AUS), current ASP World Tour No. 27 Tiago Pires (Alcantara, PRT) and fellow American Mike Losness before defeating Atkinson in the Final.

"I remember that look on the face of my brother when he won the event and I cannot believe I made it", Curran said. "I have been having a few good results in a row but I am trying not to pay any attention to the ratings and take it one heat at a time."

The natural-footer began his charge for the ratings lead with back-to-back results beginning in Brazil and has not finished worse than 9th place since his ratings lead run. Curran’s impressive list of results include a 3rd place at the Billabong Eco Surf Festival in Bahia, Brazil, an equal 9th place at the Local Motion Guaruja Pro, an equal 9th at the Mr. Price Pro held in Durban, South Africa, A victory at the U.S. Open and an equal 5th place finish at the Billabong Pro Tahara in Aichi, Japan before his win this week in France.

"I have been surfing that same board since Huntington and I am just feeling good," Curran said. "I am overwhelmed at the moment and just going to enjoy and keep having fun in my heats. If I can make the ASP World Tour this year I will be just over the moon. You get the best waves on that tour and that’s what I am thinking about, but it is a long way still."

Losness matched his career best result with an equal 3rd place finish at the Sorruz Lacanau Pro this past week, tying his equal 3rd place finish at the Honda U.S. Open in 2006. The stylish goofy-footer defeated ASP WQS No. 27 Joel Centeio (Haleiwa, HI), ASP World Tour No. 38 Leonardo Neves (Saquarema, BRA) and Michel Bourez (PYF) on his way to the Semifinals.

“Its the best showing I’ve had in France,” Losness said. “I normally don't do to well over here and I actually have not competed in the comps in France in a few years. France is a really fun place to come to you. The waves are always pretty fun and the events are in good locations.”

Losness’ ASP WQS 6-Star Final debut was stopped short in his Semifinals heat against eventual event winner Curran.

"I am happy for Nathaniel and we had a great heat together", Losness said. "It is not like we struggled, it all came down to the best surfing, we both got the waves we wanted and it went his way."

The standout performance by Losness in Lacanau significantly helps his cause on the ASP WQS, boosting him from No. 73 to No. 46 overall. The west coast prodigy will have the chance to work towards his quest for ASP World Tour qualification in 2009 with the remainder of the season containing multiple ASP 5-Star and 6-Star events offering valuable ratings points towards qualification for the ASP World Tour.

“I'm hoping to qualify for the World Tour, or at least be in the top 50 in the ratings by the years end,” Losness said. "I am not thinking of any results, points or guys I surf against and I am already focused on my heat tomorrow in Hossegor and it is the most important thing from now on. I will be relaxed and take it heat by heat."

Other top North American WQS campaigners Dane Gudauskas (San Clemente, CA), Nathan Yeomans (San Clemente, CA) and Austin Ware (Solana Beach, CA) were unable to advance through Round 4, all finishing with equal 37th place finishes, while Gabe Kling (St. Augustine, FL) was also eliminated in Round 4, finishing in equal 25th.

Patrick Gudauskas (San Clemente, CA) slipped two spots from No. 5 to No. 7 on the ASP WQS ratings when he was eliminated in Round 3, while Brett Simpson (Huntington Beach, CA) suffered the same fate, losing in Round 3 as well, bumping him from No. 12 to No. 17 overall.

North American surfers will continue their respective campaigns towards qualification of the 2009 ASP World Tour next week with The ASP WQS 6-Star PRIME Rip Curl Pro held in Hossegor, France from August 18-24, 2008.

For other ASP information log on to www.aspworldtour.com or www.aspnorthamerica.org

ASP WQS Top 10

1.      Nathaniel Curran (USA)

2.      Chris Davidson (AUS)

3.      David Weare (ZAF)

4.      Pedro Henrique (BRA)

5.      Yadin Nicol (AUS)

6.      Greg Emslie (ZAF)

7.      Patrick Gudauskas (USA)

8.      Pablo Paulino (BRA)

9.      Drew Courtney (AUS)

10. Hizunome Bettero (BRA)