Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 13, 2024, 19:35:22
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: WQS Ripcurl Boardmasters, Newquay, Fistral Beach  (Gelesen 10006 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
WQS Ripcurl Boardmasters, Newquay, Fistral Beach
« am: August 06, 2008, 12:56:13 »

Rip Curl Boarmasters in association with Relentless

ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) Men’s 5-Star event

ASP WQS European Series Stop No. 5 of 13

Newquay, Fistral Beach - England

5-10 August 2008

High Scores and Consistent Waves Bless Rip Curl Boardmasters Kick Off

Photo: Brent Dorrington (AUS) was a standout on Day 1 posting an impressive 9.50 point ride (out of a possible 10) to advance through to Round 2

NEWQUAY, England (Tuesday, August 5, 2008) – The 27th edition of the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 5-Star Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless kicked off today with Round 1 being completed in consistent three foot (one meter) waves at Fistral Beach in the famous British surf town of Newquay. An international field of 48 men paddled out to try and advance through to Round 2 and join the event's top seeded competitors that will get their turn out at sea tomorrow morning.

Today's thrilling action came from Australian brothers Luke and Brent Dorrington (AUS) who respectively posted the highest heat result and second highest wave score of Day 1. Luke Dorrington (AUS), 23, easily dominated Heat 8 to defeat Thiago Camarao (BRA), Chad Compton (USA) and local top junior surfer Reubyn Ash (GBR) with an impressive 17.73 point heat result (out of a possible 20) including a 9.00 point ride (out of a possible 10).

"I was pretty lucky out there I guess", Dorrington said. "The conditions were average this morning but the swell had got better by the time I paddled out and I was able to catch a couple of good waves. It's my third time here and I usually feel good in Newquay so I will take it heat by heat."

Dorrington, who has been on the WQS a.k.a the “Grind” for a couple of years, is chasing ratings' points in England and will be attending all events coming up.

"I am here for the whole leg and hope I can get points and dollars", Dorrington said. "I want to enjoy and keep the pressure away so I will be relaxed and hoping for this wet weather to change. As long as we have waves, it will be fun."

Dorrington will meet fellow Australian and current Top 30 WQS campaigner Yadin Nicol (AUS), Glenn Hall (IRE) and Justin McBride (USA) when Round 2 resumes.

Brent Dorrington (AUS), Luke's two-year younger brother, will be one to watch tomorrow as well after his performance in Round 1. Brent, 21, came up with excellent surfing in the low tide conditions putting together powerful turns and progressive moves to secure a 9.50 point ride (out of a possible 10) en route to winning Heat 10.

The upset of the day came when former ASP Top 45 member and Newquay local Russell Winter (GBR) was eliminated in Heat 6 by former top European junior surfer Rafael Ayme (REU). Winter, who broke his arm three months ago, was surfing in his first contest since the ASP WQS 6-Star Prime O'Neill Highland Open and lacked good enough waves.

Rafael Ayme (REU), 22, ended up winning his opening battle in the event over Winter for his first heat in a year. Ayme, a former regional top ASP junior surfer, will now face Rip Curl Boardmasters top seeds Andre Silva (BRA) and Corey Ziems (AUS).

"I am stoked to get back to competition with this win", Ayme said. "I pulled back from the tour to study but was looking forward to summer holidays to put a contest rashguard back on and see if my surfing was not too bad. I haven't trained this year but appearently it is still there."

Round 1 Europeans stepped up against the international assault and Newquay's South African Reubin Pearce (ZAF) took control out at Fistral Beach when he posted a near perfect 9.77 point ride (out of a possible 10) to take the win in Heat 9 and advance.

"I feel at home here and I have been training hard", Pearce said. "The waves got better with the tide going out and I was able to get some good opening ones. I am happy I surfed well and that kind of scores is a confidence boost, especially in such a big event."

Pearce's performance came after several Europeans showed they were in top form to battle in the Rip Curl Boardmasters this week. Other local star and top British surfer Alan Stokes (GBR) managed to advance through to Round 2 and get a chance to surf against ASP WQS touring surfers Rhys Bombaci (AUS), former ASP European Junior Champion Joan Duru (FRA) and Jarrad Sullivan (AUS).

Ruben Gonzalez (PRT), current ASP WQS European Series No. 2, advanced as well today and will be looking forward to securing points for the regional ratings.

"I feel like I am fit and in good form at the moment", Gonzalez said. "I have been on tour for some years now and started off the year well so it is good for my confidence. I am focused on the regional ratings and it would mean a lot to get an ASP European crown."

Gonzalez, 30, a leader among the European contingent, will surf against Drew Courtney (AUS), Eneko Acero (EUK) and Federico Pilurzu (CRI) in Heat 5 of Round 2.  David Weare (ZAF), current ASP WQS ratings' No. 3 and a winner at the Boadmasters in 2006, will be first out tomorrow morning at 8 AM (GMT+1).

The Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless is webcast LIVE at www.aspeurope.com 

UPCOMING ROUND 2 HEATS
Heat 1: David Weare (ZAF), Owen Wright (AUS), Gavin Roberts (ZAF), Simon Marchand (FRA)
Heat 2: Dion Atkinson (AUS), Hugo Savalli (REU), Joao Guedes (PRT), Txaber Trojaola (EUK)
Heat 3: Gabe Kling (USA), Leandro Bastos (BRA), Danilo Costa (BRA), Dunga Neto (BRA)
Heat 4: Marlon Lipke (DEU), Blake Thornton (AUS), Ryan Campbell (AUS), Steve Noble (AUS)
Heat 5: Drew Courtney (AUS), Eneko Acero (EUK), Federico Pilurzu (CRI), Ruben Gonzalez (PRT)
Heat 6: Gony Zubizarreta (ESP), Patrick Beven (FRA), Wesley De Souza (USA), Miguel Ximenez (PRT)
Heat 7: Rhys Bombaci (AUS), Joan Duru (FRA), Jarrad Sullivan (AUS), Alan Stokes (GBR)
Heat 8: Adam Melling (AUS), Paul Fisher (AUS), Jay Quinn (NZL), Thomas Bady (FRA)
Heat 9: Shaun Gosmann (ZAF), Rudy Palmboom (ZAF), Robson Santos (BRA), Oli Adams (GBR)
Heat 10: Leigh Sedley (AUS), Renato Galvao (BRA), Wiggoly Dantas (BRA), Rowan Aish (NZL)
Heat 11: Andre Silva (BRA), Corey Ziems (AUS), Marco Polo (BRA), Rafael Ayme (REU)
Heat 12: Chris Davidson (AUS), Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY), William Cardoso (BRA), Shaun Burrell (USA)
Heat 13: Pedro Henrique (BRA), Romain Cloitre (REU), Bobby Hansen (NZL), Matt Capel (GBR)
Heat 14: Odirlei Coutinho (BRA), Jadson Andre (BRA), Gilmar Silva (BRA), Jayce Robinson (GBR)
Heat 15: Yadin Nicol (AUS), Glenn Hall (IRE), Justin McBride (USA), Luke Dorrington (AUS)
Heat 16: Adam Robertson (AUS), Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF), Justin Mujica (PRT), Thiago Camarao (BRA)
Heat 17: Brett Simpson (USA), Gavin Gilette (HAW), Sam Page (AUS), Reubin Pearce (ZAF)
Heat 18: Nathan Hedge (AUS), Hodei Collazo (EUK), Diego Rosa (BRA), Nick White (NZL)
Heat 19: Simao Romao (BRA), Jean Da Silva (BRA), Milton Morbeck (BRA), Brent Dorrington (AUS)
Heat 20: Shaun Cansdell (AUS), Abdel El Harim (MAR), Jean-Sebastien Estienne (BLM), Vincent Duvignac (FRA)
Heat 21: Pablo Paulino (BRA), Romain Laulhe (FRA), Clint Kimmins (AUS), Micheal Spencer (AUS)
Heat 22: Nic Muscroft (AUS), Jarrad Howse (AUS), Luke Cheadle (AUS), Bernardo Lopes (BRA)
Heat 23: Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF), Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Christophe Allary (REU), James Wood (AUS)
Heat 24: Hizunome Bettero (BRA), Stuart Kennedy (AUS), Eric Rebiere (FRA), Nick Riley (AUS)

ROUND 1 RESULTS
Heat 1: Simon Marchand (FRA) 13.80 pts, Txaber Trojaola (EUK) 12.17 pts, Mark Harris (GBR) 9.00 pts, Sam Lamiroy (GBR) 6.43 pts
Heat 2: Dunga Neto (BRA) 14.33 pts, Steve Noble (AUS) 12.43 pts, Daniel Billon (FRA) 7.43 pts, Edgar Nozes (PRT) 7.37 pts
Heat 3: Ruben Gonzalez (PRT) 14.67 pts, Miguel Ximenez (PRT) 9.00 pts, Alexander El Naib (DEU) 2.60 pts
Heat 4 : Alan Stokes (GBR) 15.70 pts, Thomas Bady (FRA) 14.50 pts, Joss Ash (GBR) 9.36 pts, Micheal Marjanovic (AUS)
Heat 5: Oli Adams (GBR) 14.97 pts, Rowan Aish (NZL) 13.33 pts, Norman Landa (EUK) 10.53 pts, Tony Adams (USA) 9.03 pts
Heat 6: Rafael Ayme (FRA) 13.70 pts, Shaun Burrell (USA) 12.93 pts, Russell Winter (GBR) 11.50 pts, Kellen Ellison (USA) 8.24 pts
Heat 7: Matt Capel (AUS) 12.30 pts, Jayce Robinson (GBR) 12.04 pts, Parrish Byrne (AUS) 12.03 pts, David Richards (ZAF) 11.50 pts
Heat 8: Luke Dorrington (AUS) 17.73 pts, Thiago Camarao (BRA) 17.16 pts, Chad Compton (USA) 11.60 pts, Reubyn Ash (GBR) 10.34 pts
Heat 9: Reubin Pearce (ZAF) 17.60 pts, Nick White (NZL) 15.20 pts, Warren Tuck (ZAF) 8.14 pts
Heat 10: Brent Dorrington (AUS) 16.43 pts, Vincent Duvignac (FRA) 14.17 pts, Dustin Willman (USA) 6.86 pts
Heat 11: Micheal Spencer (AUS) 14.83 pts, Bernardo Lopes (BRA) 10.90 pts, Johnny Fryer (GBR) 9.97 pts, Sam Scoble (GBR) 4.37 pts
Heat 12: James Wood (AUS) 15.37 pts, Nick Riley (AUS) 12.84 pts, Dallas Petersen (AUS) 6.76 pts

Jens

• Administrator
Re: WQS Ripcurl Boardmasters, Newquay, Fistral Beach
« Antwort #1 am: August 06, 2008, 12:59:19 »

Marlon steht in Runde 3, nachdem er seinen Eröffnungsheat gewonnen hat
Morgen ist er wieder dran: ;D

Red    DAVID WEARE  ZAF 
White    TXABER TROJAOLA  EUK 
Yellow    DANILO COSTA  BRA 
Blue    MARLON LIPKE  DEU 

In Runde 1 ist noch ein weiterer mysteriöser Deutscher aufgetaucht:

ALEXANDER EL NAIB  - DEU

Wer ist das ??

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: August 07, 2008, 09:14:55 »

5-10 August 2008

Fistral Beach Delivers Fantastic Surf for Rip Curl Boardmasters Top Seeds

Photo: Marlon Lipke (DEU), rated No. 17 on the ASP WQS, advanced through to Round 3 today

NEWQUAY, England (Wednesday, August 6, 2008)  – The Rip Curl Boardmasters witnessed some of the best waves of the year today at Fistral Beach, Round 2 of the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 5-Star coming to an end in fantastic five foot (1.5 meter) clean waves. Twenty-four heats were completed and all top seeded surfers started their 2008 Boardmasters campaign in what will be remembered as one of the greatest days of surfing in Europe.

Drew Courtney (AUS), 29, Seed No. 3 in the event and rated No. 8 on the ASP WQS ratings coming to Newquay, was a standout this morning posting an excellent 9.00 point ride (out of possible 10) en route to winning Heat 5 with a solid 16.50 point heat result (out of a possible 20).

"I had a good wave obviously but it did not look it was going to be", Courtney said. "I managed to get a couple of turns and the wave was clean enough. The waves were a bit fat and it is hard to figure out what way the wave is going to break before taking off."

Courtney, who will be attending all upcoming events, is focused on an ASP World Tour qualification for 2009 and will have to string some big results together to secure his spot.

"Things have been good this year but we are a long way from the end of the season", Courtney said. "Plenty of events still to come and everyone can win at this stage."

From former ASP Top 45 member and event winner David Weare (ZAF) to Brazil's outstanding performer Robson Santos (BRA), including Europe's Marlon Lipke (DEU) and Patrick Beven's (FRA) solid results, top seeded competitors took control of Round 2.

Robson Santos (BRA), 21, who left the ASP Pro Junior tour at the end of 2007, was in excellent form for his start in the event and came up with an impressive 17.10 point heat result (out of a possible 20) including a 9.27 point ride reward from the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) judges.

"I am stoked to start with a high score", Santos said. "I know there is a lot of support from Brazil watching the Live streaming and I hope things can remain as good."

Santos, who secured his heat win in the first minutes of Heat 9, bested experienced WQS surfer Shaun Gossmann (AUS) and local top surfer Oli Adams (GBR).

"I had a strong start in the heat and everything went my way”, Santos said. "It is a great confidence boost for tomorrow and I hope waves remain as good."

Heavy showers and changing winds made it tough for crowds to settle down at the beach but lots of people still stood at the water's edge, enjoying the stunning show on offer. The outgoing tide brought hollower waves and current European leader Marlon Lipke (DEU) was able to display solid surfing to advance through to Round 3 and meet David Weare (ZAF), Txaber Trojaola (EUK) and Danilo Costa (BRA) when competition resumes.

"We are lucky to get such waves, probably some of the best in a while", Lipke said. "I am trying to let go all pressure and just enjoy my time on tour. It seems like it can work good so far."

Lipke, who secured back-to-back equal 5th places in California and Japan's ASP WQS 6-Star events, was rated No. 17 before the Rip Curl Boardmasters and is on the rise towards a possible end-of-year Top 15 finish that would give him a ticket for the ASP World Tour.

"I have been training very hard this year, especially mentally", Lipke said. "The more relaxed I am the more results I get so I am just going with the flow and hope to do good. I am having lots of fun competing at the moment and it is my priority."

Lipke, only German on "the Grind" and now leading the European contingent on the international stage, will be much awaited at all events in Europe this summer.

"It is good to get results but I will not expect anything special", Lipke said. "Everytime you expect to do good at a location you like it goes wrong and vice-versa so it is all about taking things heat by heat." 

One of the major upsets came with former ASP Top 45 touring surfer Shaun Cansdell's (AUS) elimination by Abdel El Harim (MAR). The 24-four heat marathon-day saw Brett Simpson (USA), Adam Robertson (AUS), Bobby Hansen (NZL), Chris Davidson (AUS) and Nathan Hedge (AUS) advance through to Round 3 as well.

Nathan Hedge (AUS), a former runner-up here and ASP World Tour campaigner looking to requalify this year, managed to walk through with a victory in Heat 18 ahead of Diego Rosa (BRA), Hodei Collazo (EUK) and Nick White (USA).

"It was fun out there with lots of waves, some flat and others really rippable", Hedge said. "It is good to see such good waves here and start the European league with this. The year I qualified (for the ASP World Tour) I finished runner-up here, it's a Rip Curl event as well so it has all the right signage for me."

Hedge, who was rated No. 38 before coming to Newquay, will need to secure several big results in Europe to keep any Dream Tour qualification hopes alive.

"I have had a quik look at ratings but we are so far away from the end of the year I am not worrying about it", Hedge said. "I am trying to have fun with my surfing and get the European leg off with a good start."

The 48 remaining men will meet at 7.30 AM (GMT+1) tomorrow morning and there is a good chance for consistent conditions to remain througout the night.

The Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless is webcast LIVE at www.aspeurope.com   

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: August 07, 2008, 10:05:25 »

Und Marlon wieder 'ne Runde weiter

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: August 07, 2008, 19:13:46 »

5-10 August 2008

Paulino Leads International Contingent Through to Round 4 of Rip Curl Boardmasters

Photo: Pablo Paulino (BRA), 2X ASP World Junior Champion, posted the highest heat score of the event today, an impressive 18.00 point tally (out of a possible 20)

NEWQUAY, England (Thursday, August 7, 2008) – The swell had ped during the night and Day 3 of the Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless saw twelve heats take place in good three foot (one meter) waves today at Fistral Beach. From the fourty-eight competitors who paddled out for Round 3, twenty-four only remain in contention for the prestigious ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 5-Star crown and the winner's valuable 2000 ratings' points.

Pablo Paulino (BRA), 2X and reigning ASP World Junior Champion, closed Round 3 with the highest heat score of the event thus far to defeat Rip Curl team rider Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Eric Rebiere (FRA) and Luke Cheadle (AUS).

"So stoked to get through that one with such big scores", Paulino said. "The waves were fun and I just went for big turns and ended up winning. I hope I can keep things going this way for Round 4 and further."

Paulino, who will face fellow Brazilian surfer Diego Rosa (BRA) and Nic Muscroft (AUS) in Round 4, will be a favorite if the conditions remain the same.

Many different nations will be represented when Round 4 resumes as Europeans, Brazilians, Australians, Kiwis, South Africans and one American managed to advance today. Californian progressive surfer Brett Simpson (USA), currently rated No. 10 on the international stage, was a stand out getting the second highest heat result of the day to get through one more round.

"It was fun and the waves definitely remained good enough to get that round done", Simpson said. "It is probably one of the best events this year with yesterday being excellent and today being good so I am pretty happy."

Simpson, who posted a solid 15.30 point heat score (out of a possible 20) to defeat Jean Da Silva (BRA) and Abdel El Harim (MAR), secured some strong turns and radical newschool moves including a frontside air to convince the ASP judges.

"When you are surfing at the end of a day you want to get the judges' attention", Simpson said. "I wanted to put a bit of variety in my surfing and these waves allowed some tricks so it is one of my goals to be able to get these moves done during my heats."

Simpson, who is chasing a couple more of solid results to secure his 2009 ASP Top 45 spot, will meet Yadin Nicol (AUS) and Bobby Hansen (NZL) when competition resumes. He is the last American surfer still in the Rip Curl Boardmasters.

The European contingent saw three of its ten representatives only get through Round 3 today, Marlon Lipke (DEU), Gony Zubizarreta (ESP) and Patrick Beven (FRA) all winning their respective wins with solid performances.

Patrick Beven (Biarritz, FRA), 29, who was rated No. 23 at the end of 2007, came up with some good surfing and tactics to best powerhouse Jay Quinn (NZL), Rhys Bombaci (AUS) and Ruben Gonzalez (PRT).

"Few waves came in during that heat but I know the place well and I have some tactics for this kind of conditions", Beven said. "I usually rely a lot on my backside surfing so chase lefthanders and it paid off this morning."

Beven, who has ped below the 50th rank this year, will be looking forward to advancing far in the event as he remains a potential ASP Top 45 qualifier having been a WQS leading competitor for several years now.

"I have been training a lot with Jeremy (Flores), Miky (Picon) and Tiago (Pires) to prepare for that leg and I feel fit and ready to get results", Beven said. "It is always good as well to compete in Europe and have a little break from all trips around the world. We are far from the end of the year and big events coming up so I will take it heat by heat."

Jay Quinn (NZL), who placed second to Beven in Heat 4, was one of two New Zealand surfers advancing today and will have no pressure as the event gets closer to its business end.

"It was hard to get decent scores as you have to struggle a bit to find enough speed on the waves", Quinn said about his morning heat. "I am sitting out of the Top 100 at the moment so any heat after this one is a bonus for me."

With ten Australians making it through to Round 4 today, Down Under will have more chances than any other nation to have a champion at the Rip Curl Boardmasters this year. In the last four years, the coveted crown has been won by one American, two South Africans and a Brazilian. The last Aussie to win was Bede Durbidge (AUS), curent ASP World Tour No. 3, back in 2003.

Leigh Sedley (AUS), 24, currently in the WQS Top 25, is in reach of a Dream Tour qualification this year and will be looking forward to securing points in Newquay.

"I try not to go into any event with any pressure but it is always somewhere there and you got to deal with it", Sedley said after winning his Round 3 battle. "I have had a good year so far and I hope I can keep it going and make that final."

Round 4 competitors will meet at 1 PM (GMT+1) tomorrow to assess conditions and make a call. Conditions are expected to a lot during the night and there is a chance Friday, August 8, will be a lay-day.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: August 08, 2008, 09:51:27 »

Hier noch ein Bild von Marlon gestern:

Heute wird wahrscheinlich um 1pm britischer Zeit angepfiffen, im ersten Heat darf Herr Lipke auch gleich ran:

Red    DION ATKINSON  AUS 
White    MARLON LIPKE  DEU 
Yellow    JARRAD SULLIVAN  AUS 

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: August 08, 2008, 15:31:41 »

Contest wurde auf morgen vertagt

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: August 10, 2008, 20:39:49 »

Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless

5-10 August 2008

Wiggoly Dantas Claims 2008 ASP WQS 5-Star Rip Curl Boardmasters

Photo: Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) and fellow Brazilian runner-up Pablo Paulino (BRA) celebrating at the Rip Curl Boardmasters today

NEWQUAY, England (Sunday, August 10, 2008) – Wiggoly Dantas (Ubatuba, BRA), 18, won the Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless today, claiming his maiden ASP World Qualifying Series title in testing four to six foot (1.2 to 2 meter) waves at Fistral Beach after defeating Pablo Paulino (BRA) in a 100% Brazilian final.

Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) was the fittest surfer today winning four heats in a row against some of the world's best surfers including WQS Top 25 surfer Leigh Sedley (AUS), Chris Davidson (AUS) and David Weare (ZAF) respectively in Round 5, Quarters and Semis, finsihing his run with an impressive 16.40 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) in the final.

"I had a great time in England and people were so nice to me all week", Dantas said. "We had great waves at the start and tough ones today but it was always lots of fun. So stoked to get this first title, such a big thing. It is a great confidence boost for the upcoming events."

Dantas, who came to Newquay sitting way back in the ratings compared to all the surfers he defeated, was definitely the outsider of the final day. He will move up the ratings from No. 122 into the Top 80 and heads to France confidently.

"Pablo (Paulino) surfed so well and I want to congratulate him", Dantas said. "It was one of my dreams to win the event here as I really love the waves and the atmosphere here. I am very happy and I hope things can keep going as good for me."

Pablo Paulino (BRA), 2X and reigning ASP World Junior Champion, placed second in the event and secures precious 1750 points for his ASP World Tour qualification quest. Paulino, who is seen as one of Brazil's most promissing surfers towards a possible ASP World title in the future, impressed with his powerful prowesses and tactics in the tricky solid waves.

"Things are going well for me so I am still very happy with that second place", Paulino said. "I am slowly get closer to my only goal and dream which is to qualify for the ASP World Tour."

Brazil's domination in the Rip Curl Boardmasters was impressive this week and all three representatives who started this morning made it to the semifinals at least, Henrique being the one failing just before the final to Paulino.

Pedro Henrique (BRA), 26, posted a solid run in the event including one if the event's top rides with a 9.33 point ride (out of a possible 10) in Round 4. Henrique, who has been on a good roll this year with several big results, was exhausted in his last heat.

"I was very tired in that heat and the conditions were tough all day", Henrique said. "I felt like my legs were not responding anymore and I was not able to complete my turns well enough. It's been a great event though and I am alread looking forward to competing in France."

Henrique, who came to Newquay after getting a runner-up finish in the ASP WQS 6-Star in Japan last week, secures another solid result that will get him closer to a possible ASP Top 45 inception.

"I have had a great year so far and it is so enjoyable", Henrique said. "It has been lots of heats still and it very hard to remain at your best with all the travel inbetween events but I hope I can be 100% fit for Lacanau coming up. So stoked with this year."

David Weare (ZAF), 27, a former ASP Top 45 member, was the only non-Brazilian surfer in the Semifinals and got closer to his requalification today clinching valuable 1500 ratings' points that will secure his ASP WQS Top 5 spot firmly. Weare, who posted the highest heat score of the day in a great Quarterfinal clash against Marlon Lipke (DEU), could not get any wave in his semifinal against 18-year-old Dantas and finished with a low 3.73 point heat score (out of a possible 20).

"I was just in the wrong spot all heat and could not get any good wave out there", Weare said. "I got far today but just one short to the final, I am still happy with it and congratulations to Wiggoly (Dantas). He surfed a smart heat."

Weare, who has had a strong start this year, gets back on the favorites' stage with his equal 3rd result in the Rip Curl Boardmasters and will be a serious contender at all upcoming events including the ASP WQS 6-Star competition starting Tuesday.

"It is a good result for me, one of my best four this year so it is definitely good enough", Weare said. "I just hope to get things together and keep going as good in the next events."

Marlon Lipke (DEU), 24, was the best European in the event finishing his excellent run in Quarterfinal No. 1 against Weare in an amazing exchange. Lipke, who had Weare way behind him as sevent minutes only remained in the duel, posted two solid 8.83 and 8.57 point rides (both out of a possible 10) but got knocked out in the last seconds.

"I did not really know wha was going on out there because the on shore wind was just too strong", Lipke said. "I saw get on that bomb and I knew he could get a huge score, he is such a good surfer and winner here. He got a 9.77 but I was still ahead and then I got that 8.57 and was still not enough after his last wave put him ahead. It is disappointing."

Lipke, who came to Newquay rated No. 17 on the ASP WQS international stage, secured valuable 1300 points and climbs up the ratings before attending the ASP WQS 6-Star event coming up in France.

"I am not really looking at the ratings and there is nothing really big until I reach my goal which is to qualify for the ASP World Tour", Lipke said. "I have been working hard to get to it and I am looking forward to surfing good and having fun during my heats."

Lipke jumps to 5th on the ASP WQS European Series and will be chasing a maiden regional crown this year as well. The ASP Caravan will be back ON Tuesday, August 12, from Lacanau in France.

Videos, photos and podcasts through www.aspeurope.com and www.ripcurlboardmasters.com

The Rip Curl Boardmasters in association with Relentless was webcast LIVE at www.aspeurope.com 

FINAL
Heat: Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) 16.40 pts Def. Pablo Paulino (BRA) 12.00 pts

SEMIFINALS
Heat 1: Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) 12.40 pts Def. David Weare (ZAF) 3.73 pts
Heat 2: Pablo Paulino (BRA) 14.00 pts Def. Pedro Henrique (BRA) 9.26 pts

QUARTERFINALS
Heat 1: David Weare (ZAF) 17.70 pts Def. Marlon Lipke (DEU) 17.40 pts
Heat 2: Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) 13.43 pts Def. Chris Davidson (AUS) 12.17 pts
Heat 3: Pedro Henrique (BRA) 13.23 pts Def. Nathan Hedge (AUS) 12.10 pts
Heat 4: Pablo Paulino (BRA) 16.44 pts Def. Nic Muscroft (AUS) 12.13 pts

ROUND 5
Heat 1: Marlon Lipke (DEU) 12.84 pts Def. Gony Zubizarreta (ESP) 10.16 pts