Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• April 28, 2024, 11:37:28
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: ASP World Tour News  (Gelesen 13741 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: ASP World Tour News
« Antwort #15 am: März 14, 2008, 09:40:23 »

Picon Readies For Rip Curl Pro Bell’s Beach

CAPBRETON, France (Tuesday, Mar. 12, 2008) - After getting his start on the 2008 ASP World Tour in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast at Snapper Rocks a couple of weeks ago, World tour campaigner Miky Picon (FRA) is already looking forward to the second stop, the Rip Curl Pro Bell’s Beach.

Picon, who suffered an early loss in Round 3 of The Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, went down to 2007 ASP World Tour #2 Taj Burrow (AUS) who surfed a near perfect heat with two excellent waves and did not leave any opportunity to the Frenchman.

We caught up with Miky while he was still in Coolangatta, enjoying some excellent waves before heading south for Bell’s Beach and its cooler weather. Here is what he said.

1. How do you feel after the kick off in Snapper Rocks ?
I am feeling pretty good. This firste event showed some amazing levels of surfing and it is a great honour to be among such talent. I am happy with my equal 17th still, because I won my first heat to Andy Irons (HAW) and it wasn’t an easy one.

2. How is it in bewteen you guys with Tiago, Jeremy and Aritz ?
We had an excellent time on the Gold Coast all together and it was a very cool to have friends around as well. I think we had an important impact being four Europeans to start the ASP World Tour. Off course, Jeremy’s third place made it even better as it brings the spotlights on us all. He has improved a lot, and I think everyone of us has something for the group.

3. Any new training before the Rip Curl Pro ?
We will be there on March 13 to get used to the place before anything. Then it is all about new boards mostly. I plan on surfing thicker boards in the event but so far, we have been surfing really good waves at Snapper Rocks so we surfed a lot. We have been pursuing the physical training off course, but we will focus harder by the time we get there.

4. What about the wave in Bell’s ?
It is a tough wave, and again a righthander. I must admit I cannot wait to get to lefthanders and surf frontside! It is definitely not one of my favorite waves on tour, but anything can happen there. You have to be very smart, get in rythm with the waves bacuse usually it’s big and solid and you better be at the right spot.

5. You had a tough heat against Taj Burrow (AUS) in Snapper Rocks...
It is already behind me... Everything went his way, he was surfing incredibly well and got the best waves during that heat. This can happen in contests but it was tough not to get any real opportunity during the heat. It’s competition...

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com!

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #16 am: März 14, 2008, 09:40:56 »

Words From Current ASP World Tour #3 Jeremy Flores

CAPBRETON, France (Monday, Mar. 10, 2008) – Jeremy Flores (FRA), 19, who sits in 3rd on the 2008 ASP World Tour ratings after his semifinal finish in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast last week, is already training at the world famous Bell’s Beach, VIC, Australia, hosting the second event of the year, the Rip Curl Pro Bell’s Beach.

Flores, who opened his 2008 campaign in superb form, will lead the Euroforce contingent for the second stop of the ASP World Tour, looking to confirm his start with another solid result. Here are a few words from the 2007 ASP Rookie of the Year, after his excellent start in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG.

1. How did you feel before the 2008 ASP World Tour kicked off?
I had less pressure than last year and felt very relaxed and confident. Compared to last year at the same moment, I felt like I knew how to deal with things and it was definitely easier for me.

2. How big was the difference to start with three other Europeans?
It was something even better. On top of the small experience I now have, to hang with your friends and guys you have known for years makes it a great time. We all know eachother so well, what a great feeling to have such a close support when you are about to paddle out.

3. What about the big European support on the Gold Coast for this 2008 kick off?
This first event was great. A lot of people watched the LIVE webcasts and I spent quite a bit of time talking with all these supporters from the other side of the globe. It was a very intense time to see how big things are getting. We had a lot of french people on the beach as well and it really makes a difference.

4. You had a tough time in Bell’s last year? How are you feeling before going back there?
I got sick last year during the event, had fever and really painfull throat for a week so it was almost impossible for me to surf at a descent level. I have known the waves of Bell’s Beach for a while as I used to surf a lot of pro junior events there, but it is defintely not my favorite location on tour. I will still give my best to try and get another good result.

5. What is the plan before the event?
We are already in Bell’s Beach with Miky and Tiago. It is a big change from the warm water and weather of the Gold Coast and we needed to prepare well and surf with wetsuits in cool water long enough before the event starts. We will keep running, training and stretching to be fit and sharp again for this second event.

6. After the first event, what do you think of the new ASP World Tour Top 45?
The level is really amazing and we had some really great heats to watch at the Quiksilver Pro. It will be an exciting and tough year but we are training hard all together. We are confident and we know many surfers of the Top 45 don’t really train seriously, which can make a big difference when it comes to tough demanding conditions and heats.

7. What about your surfing after a year among the Top 45?
Apart from a few problems with my boards (Jeremy broke his two favorite boards on the Gold Coast), I think I am ready and feel like my surfing is more powerful. Everything is going good and I hope we will all have a good time in Bell’s Beach. 

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com!

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #17 am: März 14, 2008, 09:41:33 »

Tiago Pires: "Bell's Beach is very similar to my home spot in Portugal."

Photo above (from left to right): Miky Picon (FRA), Tiago Pires (PRT) and trainer Yannick Beven (FRA).

CAPBRETON, France (Friday, Mar. 14, 2008) – Tiago Pires (PRT), who became the first Portuguese ever to join the elite Top 45 in 2007, will soon hit the Surfcoast of Australia and get his start in the Rip Curl Pro Bell’s Beach, second stop of the 2008 ASP World Tour.

Pires, 26, who resides in Ericeira, Portugal, got his 2008 Dream Tour campaign underway as a rookie a couple of weeks ago at Snapper Rocks and had a difficult start among the world’s best surfers, losing to Leonardo Neves (PRT) in Round 2 to finish with an equal 33rd place.

Pires, who built a solid experience during a decade on the World Qualifying Series, will now get his second chance at Bell’s Beach in the state of Victoria, a righthander very similar to his home point break of Ribeira d’Ilhas where he won the ASP WQS 6 STAR Buondi Billabong Pro in 2005 and 2006.

Tiago Pires, who is one of record four Europeans on the 2008 ASP World Tour, is currently training in Bells Beach and getting ready for the Rip Curl Pro with Euroforce members Jeremy Flores (FRA), Dream Tour #3 after his semifinal in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, and Miky Picon (FRA), former ASP European Pro Surf Tour champion and currently #17 of the ASP World Tour ratings.

Before the kick-off of the longest running professional surfing contest, Pires answered a few questions right after he landed in Melbourne, closest international airport to Australia's legendary wave of Bell’s Beach.

1. Looking back on the first event, how do you feel about your result?
I had a shocker on both my heats! I was nervous for the first heat and didn't play the game as I should have. And on my second heat I was too picky on a very inconsistent day at Snapper Rocks during full high tide, so I blew it too! There is always something positive to remember even in a loss, and I realized that even on the ASP World Tour you can sometimes surf average waves, and you cannot just expect perfect waves!

2. What about the feeling in between the Europeans?
It is really funny to share these moments in between best friends. It is the kind of thing we would dream of when we started as professional surfers, so we try to give eachother the best support we can and be there for the good as well as for the tough times. I think that's the most important thing, friendship and loyalty. Jeremy's stunning start has really motivated me to do good in the next contests...it's ON.

3. Any specific training for Bell’s Beach?
We just arrived yesterday at Bell's, and the waves are so similar to my home town of Ericeira! It's really cool to feel as good as home ! I'm gonna surf as most as I can and just get my equipment ready to go. I brought about ten boards and I'm still testing all them!

4. How do you get back in the right state of mind after a difficult start in Snapper Rocks ?
It's a normal thing when you are among the best 45 in the world. You can either do good or loose to anyone, because everyone has the potential to win an event! So I guess you can lose but actually never regret anything because you always learn something and this is what keeps me going!

5. What about the 2008 Top 45 ?
I think the level is just amazing... This year’s Top 45 has an impressive variety oftalents. It is all there for a great show!

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #18 am: März 17, 2008, 09:21:28 »

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach         

Event 2 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour

Bells Beach, Torquay, Australia

March 18-29, 2008

Slater Ready to Ring the Bell at the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Monday, March 17, 2008)  – The Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach, the second of 11 stops on the 2008 ASP World Tour, will commence tomorrow, March 18, 2008. Kelly Slater (USA), the most decorated surfer in history, will be there.

Despite winning the first event of the year, Slater was uncertain as to whether or not he would attend the Rip Curl Pro. After 14 years on tour, the 8X ASP World Champion has been adamant that he will compete selectively in 2008 in order to pursue other interests.

Slater officially withdrew from the event late last week but had a change of heart after seeing the swell forecast for the March 14-29 waiting period. He arrived in Australia today.

“A combination of things influenced my decision to come to Bells,” Slater said. “I had called ASP Tour Manager Renato Hickel to ask to be officially taken out of the event and that is when he asked me if I had seen the swell forecast.”

Current forecasts indicate that a new swell could see the event start early in the waiting period and that Easter Friday is poised to produce six to eight foot (two metre plus) waves akin to the classic Bells Beach conditions Slater won the 2006 Rip Curl Pro in.

“I was also checking out some media online and I came across some video interviews that the Geelong Advertiser had done with the locals about whether or not I would come,” Slater said. “There were some pretty strong responses about wanting to see me there. So that, the swell and some changes in my personal life and suddenly it was perfect timing for me to get away. All the signs pointed this direction so it seemed like the thing to do.”

It seemed like the thing to do in 2006 too. Slater was in an identical predicament in the 2006 lead up to the event as he was prior to this one – a win in the season-opener, a world No. 1 rating to start the year and serious indecision about whether to attend the event or not. Slater won the Rip Curl Pro and his eighth ASP title that year.

“The decision to come was a little more clear this year,” Slater said. “In 2006 I decided to come at the last minute to get my mind off some personal things and to get a little more focused. This year, the similarities to 2006 are the excitement of a looming swell and a great week of surfing I want to be a part of.”

Slater will face Brazil’s Adriano de Souza and wildcard and former ASP World Tour surfer Troy Brooks (AUS) in Heat 10.

For more information and to watch the LIVE webcast visit www.aspworldtour.com.

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 1 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bobby Martinez (USA), Luke Munro (AUS), Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 2: Dean Morrison (AUS), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 3: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Bruce Irons (HAW), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 4: Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Neco Padaratz (BRA), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Chris Ward (USA)

Heat 6: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Tim Reyes (USA), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Ben Dunn (AUS), Nic Muscroft (AUS)

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS), Adrian Buchan (AUS), Stuart Kennedy (AUS)

Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA), Nathan Hedge (AUS)

Heat 10: Kelly Slater (USA), Adriano de Souza (BRA), Troy Brooks (AUS)

Heat 11: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Dane Reynolds (USA), Daniel Wills (AUS)

Heat 12: Kai Otton (AUS), Jay Thompson (AUS), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 13: Tom Whitaker (AUS), Ben Bourgeois (USA), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 14: Taylor Knox (USA), Michael Campbell (AUS), Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 15: Damien Hobgood (USA), Kieren Perrow (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA)

Heat 16: Luke Stedman (AUS), Roy Powers (HAW), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #19 am: März 25, 2008, 09:20:29 »

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach pres. by Snickers

March 18-29, 2008

Proven Performers Rock Winkipop in Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Snickers

Photo: 8X ASP World Champion Kelly Slater scored a 9.17 and 9.23 at Winkipop today.

BELLS BEACH, Australia (Tuesday, March 25, 2008) – Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro presented by Snickers went mobile when event officials decided that the nearby break of Winkipop was offering higher scoring potential than the primary site of Bells Beach this afternoon.

Americans Dane Reynolds, C.J. Hobgood and Kelly Slater wasted no time illustrating that the move was a warranted one when they posted a series of excellent scores in the first two heats held at the back-up venue.

Reynolds, a rookie, matched his event-high heat total of 18.73 out of 20.00 by earning a near-perfect 9.90 and high eights in Heat 12 against 2001 ASP World Champion C.J. Hobgood. The former world champ lost despite posting a 9.70 wave score of his own –the third highest single wave score of the event behind Reynolds’ 9.90 and 9.73.

“That was a really fun heat,” Reynolds said. “I didn’t even care who won, we were having a great time just trading off waves. It was so much more fun at this spot than at Bells. Bells is really hard to surf and wonky and weird and this is just the perfect little wave. It was fun that it really just came down to surfing.”

Slater who shared similar sentiments about the move this afternoon, beat Jihad Khodr (BRA) when he logged 9.17 and 9.23 wave scores to best the Brazilian 18.40 to 12.50.

“I’d say that nine days out of 10, the waves are better over at Winki,” Slater said.”It’s just more surfable on the face and it stays steeper. It’s getting to be the full tide over at Bells and it’s pretty small. If it was six feet, it’d be one thing as the conditions are nice, but it’s pretty mushy.”

With a comfortable lead, Slater opted to share his aerial prowess with the fans as the clock ticked down – the daring moves were rewarded by the judges and his winning margin grew even wider.

“Once you get ahead in a heat and the other guy needs a combination of scores to beat you, you can play around a little bit,” Slater said. “Jihad got one or two sets that really didn’t do anything for him and you do the numbers and can assume there won’t be too many more sets. That’s when you can play around and perform, that’s kind of what we’re here for.”

Slater will meet Damien Hobgood in the next round and could meet fellow performer Reynolds in the quarterfinals if they both make their Round 4 heats.

“I think Dane (Reynolds) has really put a call out to everyone this year that good surfing stands,” Slater said. “If you’re going to play conservative, he’s going to eat you up in pretty much every aspect.”

Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) beat wildcard and former Top 45 surfer Troy Brooks (AUS) at Bells Beach proper this morning. Fanning went for broke on the last wave of the heat and was rewarded with a 9.17 and Round 4 berth.

"Yeah, Brooko (Troy Brooks) didn't want that last wave and I just thought there might not be any others after that so I just went for it,” Fanning said. “I just got lucky. I got a couple of sections so I was stoked."

Former event winners Taj Burrow (AUS), Joel Parkinson (AUS) and Andy Irons (HAW) are also through to Round 4. Burrow and Parkinson earned their berths surfing at Bells Beach earlier today, while Irons is through after winning at WInkipop.

“I think it was a good decision to move today,” Irons said. “The waves down at Bells weren’t really offering a lot of scoring potential this afternoon and we saw heats like Kelly’s and Dane’s where they got lots of good scores.  There wasn’t a lot on offer for the last few heats, but I’m stoked I got a few scores at the beginning.”

Irons is slated to meet Kai Otton (AUS) in the last heat of Round 4.

There is one full day of competition remaining and four more days in which to run it. Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7:30.

Visit the Press Room on www.aspworldtour.com for additional surfer quotes, downloadable audio files and complimentary images.

Today’s Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 3 Results:

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 15.17 def. Daniel Wills (AUS) 12.90

Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 12.23 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 11.17

Heat 6: Bobby Martinez (USA) 16.43 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 14.16

Heat 7: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 15.17 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 8.67

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) 17.00 def. Troy Brooks (AUS) 10.67

Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS) 11.33 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 9.17

Heat 10: Luke Stedman (AUS) 12.50 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 11.67

Heat 11: Roy Powers (HAW) 12.16 def. Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 7.13

Heat 12: Dane Reynolds (USA) 18.73 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 17.03

Heat 13: Kelly Slater (USA) 18.40 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 12.50

Heat 14: Damien Hobgood (USA) 12.84 def. Tim Reyes (USA) 12.00

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) 13.67 def. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 12.24

Heat 16: Kai Otton (AUS) 13.73 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 12.50

Yesterday’s Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 3 Results:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.84 def. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 9.83

Heat 2: Dayyan Neve (AUS) 14.67 Tom Whitaker (AUS) 12.73

Heat 3: Neco Padaratz (BRA) 15.83 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 9.00

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Dayyan Neve (AUS)

Heat 2: Neco Padaratz (BRA) vs. Joel Parkinson (AUS)

Heat 3: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Bobby Martinez (USA)

Heat 4: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Mick Fanning (AUS)

Heat 5: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)

Heat 6: Roy Powers (HAW) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Damien Hobgood (USA)

Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #20 am: März 26, 2008, 08:49:09 »

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach pres. by Snickers

March 18-29, 2008

Round 4 of the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Snickers Sets the Stage for Stacked Quarterfinals

Photo: Mick Fanning hasn't won a bell since 2001, he'll try to change that tomorrow.

BELLS BEACH, Australia (Wednesday, March 26, 2008) –The completion of six Rip Curl Pro Round 4 heats at the mobile venue of Winkipop has set the stage for Quarterfinals 1-3. The heats are stacked.

All but two heats of Round 4 were run in five foot surf (two metre) at Winkipop – a right-hand reef break three hundred meters north of Bells Beach.

Defending Rip Curl Pro Champion Taj Burrow (AUS) is among the surfers who advanced before windy, rainy weather saw competition called off for the day. Burrow beat fellow Australian Luke Stedman courtesy of an 8.00 score earned late in their duel.

“It was pretty tough, the wind got pretty strong, but the waves were good,” Burrow said. “I felt like I should have done a bit better than a 6.5 an 8.0, I wanted to put up some big scores but I just didn’t feel comfortable. I haven’t been in really good rhythm with the waves so far, but I’m doing what it takes to make it through the heats so hopefully I keep progressing.”

Burrow, who will now face California’s Dane Reynolds (USA) in Quarterfinal 3, is still steadfast on his quest to ring back-to-back bells.

“That’s the plan,” Burrow said. “The quarters are going to start filling up with some pretty tough match-ups but that’s what you expect when you make it that far. I haven’t had a good heat yet, hopefully I’m saving the best for the end. “

Former ASP Rookie of the Year honorees – American Bobby Martinez (2006) and Frenchman Jeremy Flores (2007) – went head to head in Heat 3. Martinez reveled in his first surf at the back-up venue this season.

“The waves are good, the winds are good, best day yet I think,” Martinez said. “My first time surfing here was in this heat. I surfed Winkipop last year but I try to stay away from this wave because it is so much different than Bells and I never thought we would be moving here. I’m glad I made it considering it was my first time surfing out here this trip.”

Martinez caught three waves to Flores’ nine, but found enough points on his selective rides to advance 16.33 to 13.10 over the Frenchman. Flores finished equal 3rd in the first event of the year while Martinez was forced out at equal 17th.

“Sure, Jeremy having a good event at the Gold Coast motivated me, but I could have been in the 33rd Round and been motivated no matter who I got because I haven’t had a good year yet,” Martinez said. “I just want to try my best and get a good start. It don’t matter who I got or what round I’m in, I don’t think about the next person because we are all here for the same reason.”

Martinez will want to maintain that strategy as he has drawn Reigning World Champion Mick Fanning in the next round.

“It’s going to be a good one,” Fanning said of his match-up with Martinez. “Bobby has been surfing great and he looking really good on his feet so it’s going to be a fun one. I’m pumped.”

Fanning eliminated the last Brazilian in the draw, Adriano de Souza, in Round 4 today. The weather that ultimately hated competition rolled in their heat.

“It turned a little bit weird in my heat but I got a couple at the start and put the pressure on and held on to it,” Fanning said.

Today’s other Round 4 Results include Bede Durbidge (AUS) beating Dayyan Neve (AUS), Joel Parkinson (AUS) knocking Neco Padaratz (BRA) out of competition and Dane Reynolds (USA) eliminating Roy Powers (HAW),

There are still two heats of Round 4 competition remaining. Heat 7 will pit 8X ASP World Champion Kelly Slater against fellow Floridian Damien Hobgood and 3X ASP World Champion Andy Irons against Kai Otton (AUS).

Swell forecasts indicate that there is a strong possibility that the final 10 heats of Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach competition could run tomorrow. An official call will be made at 7:30am.

Watch it LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com.

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 4 Results:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 16.73 def. Dayyan Neve (AUS) 13.36

Heat 2: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 16.27 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 12.57

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) 16.33 def. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 13.10

Heat 4: Mick Fanning (AUS) 15.83 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 11.60

Heat 5: Taj Burrow (AUS) 14.50 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 10.83

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) 14.40 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 9.33

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Damien Hobgood (USA)

Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Quarterfinal Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Joel Parkinson (AUS)

Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Mick Fanning (AUS)

Heat 3: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

Heat 4: TBD

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #21 am: März 27, 2008, 08:08:03 »

Slater Steals the Show and Rings his Third Bell at the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach

Photo: Slater earned an 8.83 and his third Rip Curl Pro Bell for this manuever.

BELLS BEACH, Australia (Thursday, March 27, 2008) – Kelly Slater (USA) has further asserted that he is the best surfer on earth after winning the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Snickers today. Launching a huge air to earn a last minute score and beat Bede Durbidge (AUS)in the final, the 36-year old has claimed his 36th event win and rung the bell for the third time.

“It feels awesome; it feels really good, ” Slater said. “The Bell is arguably the best trophy you can win in surfing.  I do have a couple, but to get there and have the chance and get a third one feels really good. I’ve just joined my good friend Sunny (Garcia) with three, and I think MR (Mark Richards) and MP (Michael Peterson) have four or five – those guys are crazy.”

Slater trailed Durbidge for the first 27 minutes of the 30-minute affair. Surfing his fourth heat of the day, the 8X ASP World Champion was tired and had all but given up.

“I thought Bede had me,” Slater said. “I wasn’t trying to worry too much or stress – I was happy just to be in the Final – but before the heat I heard Rabbit (ASP President) say something about going up to Rincon so I thought I would sneak up there to see what I could find.”

What he found was a ramp from which to launch a daring double-grab aerial. He was awarded an 8.83 (out of 10.00) for the massive maneuver and took the lead.
“I was really surprised Bede (Durbidge) let me paddle up to Ricon by myself,” Slater said. “I thought that when I looked back, he would be 10 yards behind me, but when I looked back, he was still in the Bowl. Then that wave came that let me do that big air.”

Claiming victories in the first two events on the 2008 ASP World Tour, Slater has now replicated the 2006 season-start that eventuated in his 8th ASP World Title. He confirmed that’s he’s made plans to attend the next event in Tahiti and is thinking about No. 9.

“It’d be silly to say it’s not on the radar somewhere, but my whole approach and attitude at this point is just to have fun,” Slater said. “There is a lot of hype with Dane (Reynolds) and Jordy (Smith), and don’t think it’s just hype – those guys are the real deal.  I know it’s got me excited to see what I can do on a wave and to push my equipment.  The title thing is there to get, but at this point it’s more about pushing my performance to see how much I can do on a wave.”

Slater retains the World No. 1 rating and fellow finalist Durbidge has moved to World No. 2 with the result.

“There are murmurs of Bede being a world title contender and I would say he’s up to that challenge,” Slater said.

Durbidge was disappointed with the loss but his performance at Bells Beach has positioned him as a clear contender.

“It’s pretty frustrating, but he’s the champ and freakish things happen to him,” Durbidge said of Slater. “I saw him paddle up to Rincon and I just let him go. He just got one and went pretty freakish, did a big air, rode it all the way through and got the score.”

Durbidge’s final berth today was the fourth of his four-year career. He finished World No. 5 last year after winning the last event of the year in Hawaii and started 2008 with a semifinal showing.

“I’ve just been getting through heats and I’ve been going all the way to the end so it’s been going pretty good for me,” Durbidge said.

Durbidge eliminated California’s Bobby Martinez (USA) in a one sided semifinal affair today.

“I would have liked to keep on going but Bede stopped me in my tracks, Martinez said. “He deserved it he’s surfing good. I kind of got wave starved and was never really in it. If you are not on the good waves you’ve got a good chance of losing just because everyone surfs so good.  Like I’ve said over and over again, anyone can beat anybody."

Martinez has moved to World No. 8 after bettering his 17th place finish on the Gold Coast of Australia.

“It didn’t start for me so good here, I’m glad it ended alright,” Martinez said. “It’s a Catch 22, because you are so close to where you want to be but at the same time, you failed. You’re happy but at the same time you are a little bummed out.”

Taj Burrow (AUS) was also bummed out after his semifinal loss to Slater.

“It was pretty frustrating to lose like that,” Burrow said. “I just couldn’t get a wave, it was really choppy out there. It was pretty hard to pick a wave, I don’t even know if there were any decent ones out there. Kelly had the right approach taking a lot of waves and maybe one of them would form together but I was trying to wait for that one and I couldn’t really find a clean face.”

Burrow was runner-up to the World Title in 2007 and hopes to be a contender this year too.

“Third is a keeper for sure,” Burrow said. “I was hoping to make a bit more ground on the guys at the top but I am stoked to be there mixing it up with them. It’s just all about the next one.”

Dane Reynolds (USA) fell to Burrow in the Quarterfinals but still leaves the event with his best result in an ASP World Tour event. Sitting  equal 11th, Reynolds is the highest rated rookie on tour and his performance in the Rip Curl Pro did not go unnoticed.

“I think Dane might arguably the best surfer in the world right now,” Slater said. Just everything from barrels to airs to carves, he’s really got the whole bag of tricks and power and everything.  He’s so well rounded, and I think that’s got us all pretty fired up.”

The next event on ASP World Tour will take place in Teahupoo, Tahiti from May 8-18, 2008.

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Final Results:
Heat 1: Kelly Slater (USA) 15.63 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.16

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Semifinal Results:
Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.50 def. Bobby Martinez (USA) 4.50
Heat 2: Kelly Slater (USA) 12.33 def. Taj Burrow (BRA) 7.96

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Quarterfinal Results:
Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 13.00 def. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 12.33
Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA) 17.33 def. Mick Fanning (AUS) 10.67
Heat 3: Taj Burrow (AUS) 17.33 def. Dane Reynolds (USA) 10.67
Heat 4: Kelly Slater (USA) 15.34 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 2.80

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach Round 4 Results:
Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) 16.03 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 15.60
Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) 16.57 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 12.53

Ratings after Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach - Event No. 2 on the ASP World Tour
1. Kelly Slater (USA) 2400 points
2. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 1908 points
3. Mick Fanning (AUS) 1764 points
4. Taj Burrow (AUS) 1476 points
4. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 1476 points
6. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 1464 points
6. Andy Irons (HAW) 1464 points
8. Bobby Martinez (USA) 1286 points
9. Kai Otton (AUS) 1200 points
9. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 1200 points

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #22 am: April 16, 2008, 10:36:17 »

soderle...wer ein bisschen den surf-junk in den fingern spürt kann sich die jungs der WQS in durban live über die schulter schauen

http://www.quikprodurban.com/live.aspx

contest geht noch bis sonntag dann werden sich die jungs sputen um nach schottland um zum o´neill highland pro zu kommen yihaaa

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #23 am: April 18, 2008, 15:07:05 »

alto belli...die euros mussten gut federn lassen allerdings immer noch dabei tiago pires und ....tatatata...marlon lipke ...in runde 5...das gibt fette punkte

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #24 am: April 21, 2008, 09:59:52 »

also auch wenn das ausser mir keinen zu interessieren schint. Dank zwei guten 6 Star Events kann Marlon Lipke sich auf den 21 Platz der WQS vorschieben. Unglaublich gutes Ergebnis, vielleicht wird es wirklich einen Deutschen auf der WCT geben