Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 07, 2024, 20:56:38
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay 2010  (Gelesen 4001 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay 2010
« Antwort #15 am: Juli 18, 2010, 09:08:20 »

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay
Stop No. 4 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
July 15 – 25, 2010

Smith Ascends as Slater Falters in ASP World Title Race at Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay

Pictured: Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, is the new leader in the hunt for 2010 ASP World Title.

Credit: © ASP / SCHOLTZ

JEFFREYS BAY, South Africa (Saturday, July 17, 2010) – The Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay sprung back into action today as the greatest assemblage of surfing talent in history assaulted the clean three-to-four foot (1.5 metre) waves rifling down the point in Jeffreys Bay.

The fourth stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay experienced its most dramatic day thus far, with major upsets and a change in the 2010 ASP World Title Race frontrunner.

Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, continued to be a dominant force at Jeffreys today, blitzing the roping righthanders with an unparalleled repertoire to defeat rampaging rookie Owen Wright (AUS), 20, in a dynamic Round 4 bout.

“Owen (Wright) has had the best backhand out here all event,” Smith said. “I knew I had to get a jump on him early and was fortunate that there were plenty of waves in that heat. I opened with an average one before I got that 8.60, but Owen was right there with a high 7 so it was tight all the way through. Then he let me go on that one where he had priority and it turned into my best wave. Just allowed me to put in a variety of maneuvers.”

With his Quarterfinals berth at the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay, Smith surpasses former nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 38, in the hunt for the 2010 ASP World Title, but the young South African is humble when regarding the remainder of the season.

“That’s cool but there’s still a long way to go,” Smith said. “Kelly (Slater) may have lost today but he won’t be out of the title race until the hooter sounds at Pipe at the end of the year. Still, it’s a great position for me to be in and I’ll look to consolidate with a solid result here at Jeffreys.”

Sean Holmes (ZAF), 32, wildcard into the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay, continued to wreak havoc amongst the world’s best, derailing Slater’s Billabong Pro campaign in this morning’s Round 3 heat despite nursing a sore back. With sparse waves throughout the affair, Holmes allowed Slater a wave off his priority with moments to go before taking a bigger wave and cementing his win.

“Look, Kelly (Slater) is going to belt the score he needs on any wave,” Holmes said. “For me, with my back, I wasn’t going to improve my score on the smaller wave so there was no point in me taking it. That was the tactic I was playing with throughout the heat and I was fortunate that the ocean cooperated with me at the end.”

For Slater, today’s loss allowed Smith to capitalize and pull ahead in the race for the 2010 ASP World Title, but the legendary Floridian is prepared to rebound at the next ASP World Tour stop in Tahiti.

“It’s a long year ahead,” Slater said. “I think I entered this event two or three heats ahead of Jordy (Smith) and if he wins this event, he’ll be two or three events ahead of me. So I’ve got a month to think about it before the next one. I’ll go home, recharge and focus on Tahiti.”

“I never felt in sync here this year,” Slater continued. “I’ve been tired ever since I arrived. I’ve been going to bed at 8pm and waking up at 1am. I’ve been up today for 8 hours already. That said, Sean is always in sync out here at Jeffreys. He knows the spot really well and is always on the best waves.”

Holmes supernatural rapport with Jeffreys Bay would serve him well again this afternoon, eliminating former nemesis Andy Irons (HAW), 31, in another tight Round 4 match.

“I’m stoked to get through but I’m a little bummed for Andy (Irons),” Holmes said. “He and I are very good friends, and he’s just so fired up at the moment and wants to do well. He’s been surfing well but seems like he’s having a tough year. I’m sure he’ll sort it out in Tahiti though. Happy to get through another one and we’ll see what tomorrow brings.”

Taj Burrow (AUS), 32, highlighted the afternoon’s affairs, posting the highest heat total of the event, an 18.87 out of a possible 20, to dispatch of Tiago Pires (PRT), 30. The Western Australian’s forehand assault was executed viciously and with unrivalled speed leading pundits to speculate about a possible win for the man from Yallingup.

“It was just really fun,” Burrow said. “I felt like I could surf my waves a bit better actually, but I was able to surf them from start to finish. I just get really excited looking down the line at a four-foot open face and I have so many turns going through my mind, I almost don’t know which I want to do.”

Coming into the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay rated No. 3 on the ASP World Title Race rankings, Burrow appears to have reignited the form evident prior to an uncharacteristic 17th in Brazil and is en route to another strong finish in South Africa.

“I’m feeling better with each heat,” Burrow said. “It certainly helps with the ratings and makes things interesting. There’s been some big upsets, but at the end of the day, I just want to surf to my best out in the heat. I feel like I’m working my way towards it and I just want to perform at my best.”

Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, current ASP World No. 8, continued his ruthless assault on the Jeffreys Bay walls this afternoon, dispatching of Adrian Buchan (AUS), 27, in Round 4 of competition.

“This is my fourth time at this event and my fourth time making the Quarters,” De Souza said. “I really hope to improve here this season. I feel very good. I’m healthy, my boards are good so I am ready. I am No. 8 in the world right now and I am looking to better with a result here.”

The end of the day was highlighted by the Americans with Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, executing the turn of the event to take out rookie compatriots Brett Simpson (USA), 25, and Damien Hobgood (USA), 31, causing a major upset eliminating reigning ASP World Champion, Mick Fanning (AUS), 29, in the final heat of the day.

“I thought there were going to be a lot of waves in our heat but it ended up being fairly slow,” Hobgood said. “The waves we had were actually pretty tough to surf on your backhand. I made a mistake early on, but was able to put together two okay scores and Mick (Fanning) didn’t really find a rhythm until later on. That last wave he got didn’t look good, but he turned it into something and came close to getting the score. I’m happy to get through and hope the waves get bigger for the Quarters.”

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 7am to assess conditions for a possible 7:30am start.

When competition resumes, up first will be 2010 ASP World Tour rookies Adam Melling (AUS), 25, up against Dusty Payne (HAW), 21, in the final heat of Round 4.

Highlights from the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay will be available via http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay10/

The event will be broadcast LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia.

Surfline, official forecasters for the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay, are calling

The waiting period for the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay will begin on Friday, July 15 and run through July 25, 2010.

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Remaining Round 3 Results:

Heat 5: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.33 def. Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 8.50

Heat 6: Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 15.80 def. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 3.97

Heat 7: Andy Irons (HAW) 12.33 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 9.43

Heat 8: Sean Holmes (ZAF) 13.10 def. Kelly Slater (USA) 13.06

Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.93 def. Joan Duru (FRA) 10.64

Heat 10: Tiago Pires (PRT) 14.60 def. Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 13.80

Heat 11: Dane Reynolds (USA) 13.23 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 12.50

Heat 12: Brett Simpson (USA) 14.63 def. Michel Bourez (PYF) 14.06

Heat 13: Mick Fanning (AUS) 18.23 def. Tim Reyes (USA) 13.10

Heat 14: Damien Hobgood (USA) 13.63 def. Dean Morrison (AUS) 11.40

Heat 15: Adam Melling (AUS) 16.06 def. Bobby Martinez (USA) 8.00

Heat 16: Dusty Payne (HAW) 15.33 def. Chris Davidson (AUS) 10.20

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Round 4 Results:

Heat 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.63 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.44

Heat 2: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17.87 def. Owen Wright (AUS) 15.83

Heat 3: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.53 def. Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 8.90

Heat 4: Sean Holmes (ZAF) 15.60 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 15.17

Heat 5: Taj Burrow (AUS) 18.87 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 12.00

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) 16.93 def. Brett Simpson (USA) 13.20

Heat 7: Damien Hobgood (USA) 13.77 def. Mick Fanning (AUS) 13.00

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Remaining Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 8: Adam Melling (AUS) vs. Dusty Payne (HAW)

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Quarterfinal Match-Ups:

QF 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

QF 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Sean Holmes (ZAF)

QF 3: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

QF 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. TBD

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #16 am: Juli 18, 2010, 09:10:52 »

July 15 – 25, 2010

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay ON, Potential Winner Crowned Today

Pictured: Taj Burrow (AUS), 32, will take on Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, in Quarterfinal 3 at the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay.

JEFFREYS BAY, South Africa (Sunday, July 18, 2010) – With two-to-three foot (1 metre) surf running down the point this morning, event organizers at the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay have called competition on for today, with the potential to crown a champion by day’s end.

The fourth stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay has just come off the heels of three days of pumping waves and will look to utilize the rest of the swell on offer. With a dismal forecast for the coming week, event organizers will attempt to finish the event before the end of the day.

“We obviously don’t have the same conditions we’ve had the past three days, but there is still contestable surf out there and we’re starting as soon as possible,” Richie Porta, ASP International Head Judge, said. “The projection for surf looks pretty bad and we’ve decided that today will be the best day remaining in the waiting period.”

Up first this morning will be 2010 ASP World Tour rookies Adam Melling (AUS), 25, up against Dusty Payne (HAW), 21, in the final heat of Round 4.

The Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay will be webcast LIVE via http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay10/

Surfline, official forecasters for the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay, are calling surf to drop throughout the day.

The waiting period for the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay will begin on Friday, July 15 and run through July 25, 2010.

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Remaining Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 8: Adam Melling (AUS) vs. Dusty Payne (HAW)

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Quarterfinal Match-Ups:

QF 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

QF 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Sean Holmes (ZAF)

QF 3: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

QF 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. TBD

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #17 am: Juli 18, 2010, 13:40:31 »

July 15 – 25, 2010

Jordy Smith Takes Maiden Win and ASP Ratings' Lead at Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay

Pictured: Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, has taken the 2010 Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay and the ASP World Title Race ratings’ lead!

JEFFREYS BAY, South Africa (Sunday, July 18, 2010) – Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, has claimed his maiden ASP elite victory, taking out the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay over Adam Melling (AUS), 25, in front of a capacity hometown crowd.

Event No. 4 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay was nothing but blaring Vuvuzelas and roars from the bluff as these two titans went tit-for-tat in an incredible Final exchange. The young South African proved the victor, dominating from the outset and securing an emotional first win.

“This is the best day of my life,” Smith said. “The crowd on the beach has been supporting me the last few days and hearing the cheers and the Vuvuzelas just gets me fired up to perform. It feels like they’re pushing me along. I couldn’t have done it without them.”

The most experienced surfer at Jeffreys Bay, Smith left very little to chance in the Final against Melling, opening his account with a blazing 8.90 before backing it up with some scintillating forehand surfing for a 9.03. The combination of scores (17.93 out of a possible 20) proved insurmountable for Melling.

“I knew the swell was dying and I had to take advantage of every wave that came through,” Smith said. “Adam (Melling) is such a dangerous surfer. He’s been in form all day and I knew that if he got the waves, he would get the scores. I went out there knowing I had to open up strong.”

After taking the ratings’ lead over former nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 38, yesterday, Smith solidified his position as the ASP World No. 1 with today’s emphatic victory.

“It definitely is a different feeling,” Smith said. “To be chasing the lead and defending the lead are two different things. It’s a long year ahead and you can’t count anyone out until it’s over. I’m going to enjoy this feeling for now.”

Smith’s Final’s berth almost never was, as the big South African was comboed by lethal Australian Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, with four minutes remaining in their Semifinal clash. Catching two waves in under a minute, Smith unloaded a barrage of aerials and forehand blasts to claw his way back into the lead.

“I’m still not too sure what happened – it’s all a blur,” Smith said. “I got that first one where I did the little grab air that I didn’t think was good, but the judges scored the whole wave pretty well. Then I backed it up and put everything I had into it.”

Melling’s “Cinderella” climb to the Finals was nothing short of sensational. Rated a lowly 41st on the ASP World Title Race rankings heading into Jeffreys Bay, the 2010 ASP Dream Tour rookie powered his way through five rounds of competition before coming short in the Final. His Runner-Up finish sees him bumped up to ASP World No. 19, well inside the safety zone for the dreaded mid-year field reduction.

“The ocean didn’t cooperate with me in the Final so that’s a shame but I couldn’t be happier,” Melling said. “We had amazing waves and to get the best result of my career is huge. I came into Jeffreys with a long road ahead if I were to make the mid-year cut-off, and now that I’m 19th, I feel like I have a bit of a buffer heading into Tahiti. I worked really hard to get here and I want to stay here.”

Durbidge suffered one of the hardest losses of the event, having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by a last-minute crusade by Smith. Despite the bitter loss, Durbidge’s Equal 3rd vaults him from 10th to 7th on the ASP World Title Race rankings heading into the fifth event of the year.

“I had him comboed with only four minutes to go,” Durbidge said. “He took off on that one-footer and pulled that ‘Superman’ air and finished off well, then came out and got another one. I think he got two waves in a minute or something. It’s a hard way to lose, but Semifinals is my best result of the year and it’s something to build on. The focus is on Tahiti now.”

Taj Burrow (AUS), 32, consistently wowed audiences with his performance from Round 1 onwards, collecting the event’s highest heat total in yesterday’s Round 4. Despite today’s Semifinal loss at the hands of Melling, the Western Australian moves up to ASP World No. 2 heading into Tahiti.

Highlights from the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay will be available via http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay10/

Official forecasts for the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay brought to you by Surfline.

The next stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour is the Billabong Pro Tahiti from August 23 through September 3, 2010.

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Final Results:

1 – Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17.93

2 – Adam Melling (AUS) 10.00

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Semifinal Results:

SF 1: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.83 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.40

SF 2: Adam Melling (AUS) 14.00 def. Taj Burrow (AUS) 10.67

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Quarterfinal Results:

QF 1: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 16.43 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 9.20

QF 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 12.17 def. Sean Holmes (ZAF) 11.83

QF 3: Taj Burrow (AUS) 11.00 def. Dane Reynolds (USA) 3.66

QF 4: Adam Melling (AUS) 16.43 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 5.67

Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Remaining Round 4 Results:

Heat 8: Adam Melling (AUS) 17.07 def. Dusty Payne (HAW) 11.50

Current ASP World Title Race Top 5 (after South Africa):

1. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 28500 pts

2. Taj Burrow (AUS) 24750 pts

3. Kelly Slater (USA) 23500 pts

4. Dane Reynolds (USA) 20000 pts

5. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 19500 pts

6. Mick Fanning (AUS) 19250 pts

7. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 18750 pts

8. Bobby Martinez (USA) 16500 pts

9. Jadson Andre (BRA) 16000 pts

10. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 14750 pts

aquaman

• SurfersDreamland
« Antwort #18 am: Juli 20, 2010, 13:18:47 »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Lsdg9gWAI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Lsdg9gWAI</a>
respect our mama nature......