Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 01, 2024, 11:42:05
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: ASP World Tour News  (Gelesen 13801 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
ASP World Tour News
« am: Februar 27, 2008, 09:17:44 »

Hier gibts ab jetz die Press-Releases der ASP

Photo: Andy Irons (HAW) has found form in a big way! He scored a 9.7 on this wave.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2008) – Three-time ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) was back in title winning form in Round 2 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG today.

Irons trounced Tahitian wildcard Tamaroa McComb 16.37 to 5.90 in the first heat of the day and scored the highest single wave score (9.70 out of 10.00) of the event in the process.

“I haven’t got a 9.00 in about six months so it felt unreal,” Irons said. “I haven’t made heats in a while and I guess I just haven’t been into it. In the off season I really had to think about that and now I’m really psyched. I want to be here and I want to do well. I like to win heats and it feels good, it’s my new buzz.”

Irons, who was ASP World Champion in 2003, 2004 and 2005 and runner-up in 2006, fell to World No. 6 after a string of bad results at the end of last year. He has come into the 2008 season with a renewed resolve to be World No. 1.

“I have been surfing against the five top guys for the past six years and I have done well against all of them, so I know I can be in that group,” Irons said. “Being 6th last year, even though it’s an ok result, it’s not good enough for me.”

Wildcard Julian Wilson took to the skies on his pink surfboard to put Hawaiian Pancho Sullivan’s Snapper Rocks hopes to rest. Wilson, who is surfing on a pink board to raise Breast Cancer awareness (his mother is a survivor), made it to Round 3 as a wildcard last year as well but will now face Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS).

“It’s going to be very tough, he’s pretty much on fire as everyone has seen,” Wilson said. “But I want to do better than I did last year. I have nothing to lose and to get the experience and surf Snapper with one other guy out is great.”

Wilson is the last remaining wildcard in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

Adrian Buchan (AUS) surfed a dynamite heat to dash Jihad Khodr’s (BRA) ASP World Tour debut. Buchan earned a 9.00 early in the 30 minute duel and backed it up with a pair of 8.00s to seal the deal.

“I’ve put in a lot of hard work in the past month, so I really wanted to see it come to fruition in the first event,” Buchan said. “I got that first wave and it really hugged the bank, it was nice and steep so I got the good start I needed.”

Buchan spent the early part of 2007 injured but managed to finish 5th in the last event of the year at Pipeline in Hawaii.

“The last three months of 2007 were probably the best three months I’ve had on tour,” Buchan said. “Those performances at the back end of the year plus the hard work I have put in over the last month, has given me a lot of confidence. My body feels the best it has felt in years, my ankle injury has healed, I have worked really hard on it so it feels really strong.”

Dane Reynolds (USA) and Jordy Smith (ZAF) were the only rookies to win their heats today. Khodr, Daniel Ross (AUS), and Tiago Pires (PRT) weren’t as lucky and Aritz Aranburu (EUK) was forced to pull out of the event after suffering an ankle injury in yesterday’s Expression Session.

Reynolds eliminated Royden Bryson (ZAF) and Smith beat Daniel Wills (AUS). Both were happy to advance given the hype their arrival on the ASP World Tour has heralded.

“It puts pressure on me and I can’t really believe that they have singled out Jordy (Smith) and myself when there are so many good rookies on the tour,” Reynolds said. “Jay Thompson is one of my favourite surfers amongst others, so it is sort of funny but I try not to let it get to me.”

Thompson received a bye when Fred Pattachia (HAW) pulled out of the event citing a severe contusion to his right thigh after a mishap freesurf at Pipeline a couple of weeks ago.

Smith was ecstatic to advance to Round 3.

“I definitely feel excited, it’s my first event and my second heat,” Smith said. “In my first heat I got a bit unlucky, but today that didn’t happen and I’m just having fun surfing with some of my heroes.”

He will meet 2006 ASP Rookie of the Year Bobby Martinez (USA) in the next round.

Another call on competition status will be made at 7am tomorrow morning. For more information, including quotes from the surfers and images, visit the Press Room on www.aspworldtour.com

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 2 Results:

Heat 1: Andy Irons (HAW) 16.37 def. Tamaroa McComb (PYF) 5.90

Heat 2: Julian Wilson (AUS) 14.00 def. Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 13.23

Heat 3: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 10.83 def. Michel Bourez (PYF) 8.00

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 12.16 def. Nic Muscroft (AUS) 12.00

Heat 5: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 12.33 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 10.83

Heat 6: Roy Powers (HAW) 13.74 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 9.60

Heat 7: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 14.84 def. Michael Campbell (AUS) 12.66

Heat 8: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 17.17 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 12.50

Heat 9: Ben Bourgeois (USA) 12.34 def. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 11.70

Heat 10: *Neco Padaratz (BRA) advances Aritz Aranburu (EUK) injured

Heat 11: Leonardo Neves (BRA) 13.67 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 7.33

Heat 12: * Jay Thompson (AUS) advances Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) injured

Heat 13: Dane Reynolds (USA) 14.20 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 10.06

Heat 14: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 15.34 def. Daniel Wills (AUS) 11.50

Heat 15: Tim Reyes (USA) 16.16 def. Royden Bryson (ZAF) 5.97

Heat 16: Ben Dunn (AUS) 12.07 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 8.50

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 3 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Heat 2: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 3: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Dayyan Neve (AUS)

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Roy Powers (HAW)

Heat 5: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (AUS)

Heat 6: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

Heat 7: Neco Padaratz (BRA) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Julian Wilson (AUS)

Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 10: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Bruce Irons (HAW)

Heat 11: Jeremy Flores (AUS) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 12: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Tim Reyes (USA)

Heat 13: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Heitor Alves (BRA)

Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 16: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)
« Letzte Änderung: Februar 28, 2008, 22:10:11 von perfectwave.de »

Jens

• Administrator
Re: WCT News
« Antwort #1 am: Februar 27, 2008, 09:18:49 »

Snapper Rocks, Coolangatta, Australia
February 23 - March 5, 2008

Jeremy Flores Joins Miky Picon in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2008) – Jeremy Flores (FRA) was the only one of the four Europeans surfing in Round 2 at Snapper Rocks to join Miky Picon (FRA) in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by LG today. From Europe’s five representatives who entered in the event, the two French are Europe’s only remaining surfers after two days of competition, Aritz Aranburu (EUK) being forced to pull out from the event due to an ankle injury.

2007 ASP Rookie of the Year Jeremy Flores (FRA) defeated Quiksilver wildcard and 2006 ASP European Pro Surf Tour Champion Michel Bourez (PYF) in 4 ft (1 meter +) waves at Snapper Rocks. Scoring a low 10.83 pts total out of possible 20 to advance in a wave-starved heat, Flores had to use tactics to catch-up with Bourez’s lead in the last five minutes, and take the win.

“It was not an easy heat for me,” Flores said. “Surfing against one of your best friends is never easy but I was hoping for an exciting heat with good waves to be able to surf well and have fun.”

“I did a big mistake in the end giving Michel priority in the last minute of the heat and I was lucky he did not get the score he needed,” Flores said. “Michel had nothing to lose, but I had a job to do and I did it, so I am happy to make Round 3 and join Miky (Picon).”

Bourez, who made a crucial mistake while he had priority letting Flores go on his winning wave, was disappointed with his result. “We both lacked waves and I am disappointed to lose because of a tactics mistake,” Bourez said.   

Tiago Pires (PRT), ASP World Tour rookie and first Portuguese ever to surf among the Top 45, was the last Euroforce representative to surf in Round 2. Facing powersurfer Leonardo Neves (BRA) in Heat 11, Pires could not get the best waves in the high tide conditions, losing with a low 7.33 pts total to Neves’ solid 13.67 pts heat score.

“I did not get the few good waves coming in,” Pires said. “It was tough out there but I thought my first wave would give more wall to gain speed. Unfortunately the high tide changed the waves and I couldn’t express myself on the ones I chose.”

“This first event was a difficult one,” Pires said. “It is always hard for confidence when you have a bad start but I will work on that. I’ll try and forget about it before moving to Bell’s Beach.”

Aritz Aranburu (EUK), who injured himself during yesterday’s MSF Expression Session when he landed an air reverse maneuver, pulled out fom the event. Giving Neco Padaratz (BRA) his Round 3 ticket, we hope Aranburu will have recovered when the 2008 ASP World Tour moves to its second stop next month, in Bell’s Beach, Australia.   

Aranburu, Pires and Bourez place equal 33rd in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by LG. After finishing ahead of 3X ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) in Round 1, Picon will meet last year’s ASP World Tour runner-up Taj Burrow (AUS) when competition resumes.

UPCOMING EUROPEANS’ ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS
Heat 9: Miky Picon (FRA) VS Taj Burrow (AUS)
Heat 11: Jeremy Flores (FRA) VS Jay Thompson (AUS)

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: Februar 27, 2008, 23:11:31 »

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG

Stop No. 1 of 11 on the ASP World Tour

Roxy Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG

Stop No. 1 of 8 on the ASP Women’s World Tour

Lay Day Called for Quiksilver and Roxy Pro presented by LG

Pictured: Quiksilver Pro pres. by LG wildcard Julian Wilson (AUS) takes to the sky in yesterday's Round 2 victory over Pancho Sullivan (HAW).

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Thursday, Feb. 28, 2008) – A drop in swell this morning has prompted event organizers at the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro presented by LG to call competition off for the day.

The opening events of the 2008 ASP World Tour and ASP Women’s World Tour season, both the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro pres. by LG have completed two rounds of competition with the women knocking both off last Sunday at nearby Duranbah Beach while the men completed Round 2 yesterday at Snapper Rocks.

“The surf has dropped a bit today back into the two-foot range and finding a good wall out there is proving trying with today’s tides,” Brooke Farris, ASP Women’s World Tour Manager, said.  “The event forecasters have called for an increase in swell over the coming days, and with only three full days of competition remaining to complete both the men’s and the women’s events, we’re waiting for the best conditions possible.”

Yesterday’s Quiksilver Pro elimination Round 2 competition saw rookie sensations Dane Reynolds (USA) and Jordy Smith (ZAF) as well as wildcard Julian Wilson (AUS) blast through their respective heats while former three-time ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) celebrated a much-anticipated return to form, posting the highest scores of the day to take out Komunity Project Trials winner Tamaroa McComb (PYF).  When Round 3 hits the water, it will be Australians Bede Durbidge and Kieren Perrow battling it out first.

When Roxy Pro competition resumes, Round 3 will hit the lineup with World No. 4 Samantha Cornish (AUS) and 2008 ASP Women’s World Tour rookie Nicola Atherton (AUS) kicking things off.

Both the Quiksilver Pro and Roxy Pro presented by LG will be webcast LIVE via www.aspworldtour.com/quikpro and www.aspworldtour.com/roxypro beginning at 7:30am.

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Roxy Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 3 Match-Ups
Heat 1: Samantha Cornish (AUS) vs. Nicola Atherton (AUS)
Heat 2: Layne Beachley (AUS) vs. Serena Brooke (AUS)
Heat 3: Melanie Bartels (HAW) vs. Megan Abubo (HAW)
Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) vs. Carissa Moore (HAW)
Heat 5: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) vs. Claire Bevilacqua (AUS)
Heat 6: Rebecca Woods (AUS) vs. Rosanne Hodge (ZAF
Heat 7: Amee Donohoe (AUS) vs. Jacqueline Silva (BRA)
Heat 8: Silvana Lima (BRA) vs. Julia De La Rosa Toro (PER)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: Februar 28, 2008, 22:07:53 »

Another Lay Day for Quiksilver and Roxy Pro presented by LG; Swell Coming

Pictured: ASP Women's World Tour surfer Amee Donohoe (AUS) meets another sea mammal at neaby Sea World yesterday.  When competition resumes, Donohoe will face Jacqueline Silva (BRA) in Round 3.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Friday, Feb. 29, 2008) – Conditions were clean this morning, but with surf in the one-to-two foot (0.5 metre) range at Snapper Rocks, event organizers for the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro presented by LG have call another lay day for competition.

While the first two rounds for both the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro have seen ASP World Tour and ASP Women’s World Tour surfers tearing apart the banks at Snapper Rocks and nearby Duranbah Beach, both events have been on hold the past few days, and although today’s competition has been called off, the promise of a new swell filling in this evening could see action back on tomorrow.

“The call is that we’re officially off for today,” Rod Brooks, Quiksilver Pro Event Director said.  “Although there are some great waves coming in this morning, it’s just too small for competition.  We know there is a swell coming, it’s hitting Sydney already, and we’re expecting the swell to come in overnight and deliver waves through the weekend and into Monday.”

ASP Top 45 and Top 17 surfers have dazzled in the opening two rounds of competition with reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) and reigning ASP Women’s World Champion Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) both dominating their respective heats.

Luke Munro (AUS), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Andy Irons (HAW), Adrian Buchan (AUS), Adriano de Souza (BRA), among others have also impressed in Quiksilver Pro competition while Megan Abubo (HAW), Rebecca Woods (AUS) and Melanie Bartels (HAW) have announced their intentions at the Roxy Pro.

When competition resumes, it will be Bede Durbidge (AUS) and Kieren Perrow (AUS) opening Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro while Samantha Cornish (AUS) and Nicola Atherton (AUS) kick off Round 3 for the Roxy Pro.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 7am to make the official call.

Jens

• Administrator
Re: ASP World Tour News
« Antwort #4 am: März 01, 2008, 10:19:07 »

Round 3 Roxy Pro pres. by LG On at Snapper; Champ Could be Crowned Today

Pictured: After posting some of the highest scores of Round 1, Hawaiian Melanie Bartels will face off against compatriot Megan Abubo in Round 3.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Saturday, Mar. 1, 2008) – Round 3 of the Roxy Pro presented by LG will hit the water in clean three-foot (1 metre) waves at Snapper Rocks this morning at 7:30am, and could potentially run from Round 3 through the Finals, crowning a 2008 Roxy Pro Champion by day’s end.

The opening event of the 2008 ASP Women’s World Tour, the Roxy Pro pres. By LG, is the all-important momentum builder for the season, and today’s winner will enjoy the ASP rating’s lead until the next event

“The official call is that we’re going to get Round 3 of the Roxy Pro underway at 7:30am,” Rod Brooks, Event Director, said.  “Depending on the conditions, the girls may opt to go on hold for an hour, but if it’s looking good, they’ll start at 7:30am.  Following the completion of Round 3, we’ll reassess and determine whether to finish the girls or run Round 3 of the men.  The swell is projected to increase over the coming days and we’ll be running our surfers in the best conditions possible.”

With 16 of the original 18 surfers still remaining in the draw, the Roxy Pro pres. by LG will see some dynamic match-ups in Round 3 including former seven-time ASP Women’s World Champion Layne Beachley (AUS) and Australian veteran Serena Brooke (AUS), Hawaiian powerhouses Megan Abubo (HAW) and Melanie Bartels (HAW), Rebecca Woods (AUS) and Rosanne Hodge (ZAF), among others.

Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), reigning ASP Women’s World Champion, will face off against Roxy Trials Winner and last season’s event runner-up Carissa Moore (AUS), and Samantha Cornish (AUS) and 2008 rookie Nicola Atherton (AUS) will start things off with the opening heat.

The Roxy Pro pres. by LG will be webcast LIVE via www.aspworldtour.com/roxypro beginning at 7:30am.

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

Roxy Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 3 Match-Ups
Heat 1: Samantha Cornish (AUS) vs. Nicola Atherton (AUS)
Heat 2: Layne Beachley (AUS) vs. Serena Brooke (AUS)
Heat 3: Melanie Bartels (HAW) vs. Megan Abubo (HAW)
Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) vs. Carissa Moore (HAW)
Heat 5: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) vs. Claire Bevilacqua (AUS)
Heat 6: Rebecca Woods (AUS) vs. Rosanne Hodge (ZAF
Heat 7: Amee Donohoe (AUS) vs. Jacqueline Silva (BRA)
Heat 8: Silvana Lima (BRA) vs. Julia De La Rosa Toro (PER)

Heat 1:
Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: März 01, 2008, 10:20:09 »

Aritz Aranburu Officially Pulls Out From Next ASP World Tour Event

Photo above: Aritz Aranburu will be out of the water for a month at least

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Saturday, Mar. 1st, 2008) - Aritz Aranburu (Zarautz, EUK), 2008 ASP World Tour rookie and defending ASP European Pro Surf Tour champion, officially announced he was pulling out from the next World Tour event, the Rip Curl Pro Bell's Beach. After starting his campaign among the Top 45 a week ago in Round 1 of the Quilsilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG, Aranburu twisted his knee during the MSF expression session.

A broken meniscus and hyper-extended ligaments were revealed by the MRI last week, but no surgery is needed so far.

"I am pretty relieved because I thought it would be a lot worse," Aranburu said. "For the moment I will stay in Australia for the next two weeks to recover from my ligament's hyper-extension, then I will head back home and see what I have to do to for my meniscus."

Already looking forward to his next ASP World Tour event, Aranburu is confident he will have fully recovered before the third stop. He is now going for a re-education program and hopes to be back on tour for the Billabong Pro Tahiti in May.

"I will work hard to get back on tour as soon as possible, and I hope I will not be forced to have knee surgery," Aranburu said.

At 22, Aranburu has been on the rise for the past two years and is now a member of the Elite Top 45 surfers of the 2008 ASP World Tour.

We will follow-up on Aritz's recovery, while the three other European surfers of the Dream Tour keep flying the flag.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: März 01, 2008, 10:21:20 »

Sofia Mulanovich Wins Roxy Pro; Takes Ratings Lead on ASP Women’s World Tour

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Saturday, Mar. 1, 2008) – Sofia Mulanovich (PER) has won the 2008 Roxy Pro Gold Coast presented by LG, defeating fellow finalist Samantha Cornish (AUS) in clean three foot (1 metre) waves at Snapper Rocks.

The opening event of the 2008 ASP Women’s World Tour season, the Roxy Pro Gold Coast ran from Round 3 through the Final today with major upsets and inspiring performances enthralling the hundreds on the beach and thousands watching online.

Mulanovich, 2004 ASP Women’s World Champion and world runner-up last season, was in sensational form today, netting the day’s highest heat total of a 17.34 out of a possible 20 to combo Cornish in the Final.

“The final started out kind of slow, but I got a good score midway and from then on, I started pushing my surfing out there,” Mulanovich said. “My board felt really good out there and I when I caught that last wave, I knew that Sam (Cornish) was going to need a lot to catch me. So stoked.”

The Peruvian had yet to procure a solid result at the Roxy Pro Gold Coast in past seasons, but her victory today puts Mulanovich at the top of the ratings in the race for the 2008 ASP Women’s World Title.

“So stoked to finally get a good result here,” Mulanovich said. “I love the wave at Snapper, but until today, I hadn’t been able to get a result.  It’s a long season and I am off to a good start, but there are still so many good girls out there.  Steph (Gilmore) and Layne (Beachley) and so many others.  Samantha today surfed so well and I know she’s hungry for a win.”

Cornish, who finished No. 4 on the ASP Women’s World Tour last season, was in devastating form today netting solid scores in the three rounds leading up to the final. Although the young Australian’s conditioning held steady, the waves did not deliver for her in the Final.

“We’ve surfed four times today, but I didn’t feel too tired out there, I just couldn’t get the waves that linked through,” Cornish said. “Congrats to Sofia (Mulanovich) though as she was ripping.  I’m a bit bummed that I couldn’t see it all the way through today, but I’m still happy with my performance here.”

Carissa Moore (HAW), who won the Roxy Pro Trials and was runner-up at this event last season, dazzled throughout the day, blending full-rail carves with new school tail slides to take down reigning ASP Women’s World Champion Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) and fellow islander Melanie Bartels (HAW) before going down to Cornish.

“This was my first time ever surfing against Steph (Gilmore) and she has absolutely been ripping,” Moore said. “It see-sawed back and forth in that heat, but I ended up getting that one at the end that was really exciting. I am a bit disappointed that I couldn’t do as well as I did last season, but Sam (Cornish) was on point and got the better waves. It has been a great experience for me and I’m really thankful for the opportunity to compete here again this year.”

Amee Donohoe (AUS), who finished No. 6 on the ASP Women’s World Tour in 2007, was in sterling form all day, eliminating Jacqueline Silva (BRA) and Julia De La Rosa Toro (PER) (formerly Julia Christian (USA)) before going down to Mulanovich in the Semifinals. Donohoe collects an equal 3rd place finish and solid positioning on this season’s ratings.

“Starting the season with a 3rd is great, although I’m a bit bummed that I couldn’t get the waves in the Semifinal against Sofia (Mulanovich),” Donohoe said. “Pretty stoked with my performance here and I’ll be focusing on keeping the momentum up at Bells Beach.”

The next stop on the 2008 ASP Women’s World Tour will be the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach from Mar. 19-24, 2008.

Highlights from the 2008 Roxy Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG will be available via www.aspworldtour.com/roxypro

The Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG has completed the opening two rounds of competition and with swell forecasted to come in over the next few days, the ASP Top 45 could be back in the water very soon.  The Quiksilver Pro pres. by LG will be webcast live via www.aspworldtour.com/quikpro

For more details, including quotes and complimentary images, log onto the Press Room on www.aspworldtour.com

Roxy Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Results

Final

1 – Sofia Mulanovich (PER) 17.34

2 – Samantha Cornish (AUS) 7.83

Semifinals: 1st advances to Final; 2nd finishes Equal 3rd

SF 1: Samantha Cornish (AUS) 16.90 def. Carissa Moore (HAW) 15.53

SF 2: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) 13.50 def. Amee Donohoe (AUS) 10.33

Quarterfinals: 1st advances to Semifinals; 2nd finishes Equal 5th

QF 1: Samantha Cornish (AUS) 15.60 def. Layne Beachley (AUS) 12.00

QF 2: Carissa Moore (HAW) 17.57 def. Melanie Bartels (HAW) 9.07

QF 3: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) 13.16 def. Rebecca Woods (AUS) 7.10

QF 4: Amee Donohoe (AUS) 10.73 def. Julia De La Rosa Toro (PER) 10.33

Round 3: 1st advances to Quarterfinals; 2nd finishes Equal 9th 
Heat 1: Samantha Cornish (AUS) 14.50 def. Nicola Atherton (AUS) 8.30
Heat 2: Layne Beachley (AUS) 12.67 def. Serena Brooke (AUS) 11.66
Heat 3: Melanie Bartels (HAW) 14.40 def. Megan Abubo (HAW) 12.23
Heat 4: Carissa Moore (HAW) 15.33, def. Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 14.50
Heat 5: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) 15.50 def. Claire Bevilacqua (AUS) 12.16
Heat 6: Rebecca Woods (AUS) 11.50 def. Rosanne Hodge (ZAF) 9.83
Heat 7: Amee Donohoe (AUS) 14.90 def. Jacqueline Silva (BRA) 10.80
Heat 8: Julia De La Rosa Toro (PER) 12.33 def. Silvana Lima (BRA) 7.83

2008 ASP Women’s World Tour Ratings after the Roxy Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG

1. Sofia Mulanovich (PER) 1200 points

2. Samantha Cornish (AUS) 972 points

3. Amee Donohoe (AUS) 756 points

4. Layne Beachley (AUS) 552 points

4. Rebecca Woods (AUS) 552 points

4. Melanie Bartels (HAW) 552 points

4. Julia de la Rosa Toro (PER) 552 points

8. Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 360 points

8. Silvana Lima (BRA) 360 points

8. Megan Abubo (HAW) 360 points

8. Rosanne Hodge (ZAF ) 360 points

8. Jacqueline Silva (BRA) 360 points

8. Serena Brooke (AUS) 360 points

8. Nicola Atherton (AUS) 360 points

8. Claire Bevilacqua (AUS) 360 points

16. Jessi Miley-Dyer (AUS) 180 points

16. Melanie Redman-Carr (AUS) 180 points

16. Karina Petroni (USA) 180 points

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: März 02, 2008, 20:50:47 »

Stop No. 1 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour

Burrow and Smith Blitz in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

Photo: Taj Burrow all smiles after earning the highest heat total of the Quiksilver Pro so far.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Sunday, Mar. 2, 2008) – There was no shortage of high scores posted in the 10 heats of Round 3 action surfed at Snapper Rocks today, but World No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS) and ASP World Tour rookie Jordy Smith (ZAF) took it to the next level at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres by LG this afternoon.

Burrow posted the event’s highest heat total (a near perfect 19.20 of 20.00) with his first two waves ridden. His 9.87 and 9.33 wave scores were on the board with two-thirds of the heat still remaining.

“I tried to get a couple of waves early because I saw the tide was moving in pretty quickly,” Burrow said. “I just wanted to pounce on anything that I could, anything that had a wall, and surf my hardest to get a score.”

His opponent, Frenchman Miky Picon, could not find the waves to counteract Burrow’s attack.

“I was stoked that I got a couple of big scores because it definitely started fattening up at the end,” Burrow said. “That made it hard for Miky (Picon) to come back and for me to get another good score.”

Burrow’s high scores just eclipsed the heat total posted by Smith a few heats earlier – 19.03 out of 20.00 – a feat he paddled out eager to accomplish.

“It’s hard not to surf against the guys surfing well in the previous heats in your head,” Burrow said. “You start thinking, ‘I have to do this or I have to do better than that,’ but you don’t. The only time you actually have to beat them is when you come up against them. I find that I always want to better the top heat score because we are all pretty competitive, but really you just have to focus on the person you are against.”

Smith beat Top 10 surfer Bobby Martinez (AUS) when he bested Martinez’s 6.77 and 8.97 with his own 9.33 and 9.70. Martinez, who has three event wins in his arsenal despite only being on tour for two years, is a daunting draw for any rookie.

“I guess you always have nerves when you surf against Bobby (Martinez), he’s kind of like the gangster on tour so everyone is scared of him,” Smith joked. “I just went out there with my own game plan and luckily it worked out.”

Smith will now meet 2003 Quiksilver Pro winner Dean Morrison (AUS) in Round 4.

“Dean is really an amazing surfer,” Smith said. “He’s won this event before and being a local boy it’s not going to be easy.”

Morrison eliminated the USA’s newest superstar Dane Reynolds the heat prior to Smith’s. Had the heat gone swung in the rookie’s favor, surfing fans would have no doubt delighted at seeing high-profile rookies Reynolds and Smith meet up in Round 4. Morrison, however, delighted the home crowd.

“It’s pretty hard not to be aware of the crowd here today because there must be at least 3000 people on the beach who are only 100 metres away,” Morrison said. “There would have been no shame in losing to Dane Reynolds out there today, but I just had to surf my best, stick to my game plan and do what I could do on the waves that I caught.”

Morrison has not posted a solid result at his home break since winning the event five years ago – he settled for 9th in 2004 and has finished 17th in the three years since.

“I’ve been getting caught in that third round at home,” Morrison said. It’s the first time I’ve been in the fourth round here since 2004, so it feels nice.”

Bede Durbidge (AUS) was the highest scoring of the local contingent – which includes previous event winners Morrison, Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) and Joel Parkinson (AUS) – advancing today.  He beat returning ASP World Tour campaigner Kieren Perrow (AUS) in the first heat of the day when he amassed a 17.63 heat total.

“There were a few little pulses in our heat and I got two of the best waves so I was pretty lucky that Kieren only got one,” Durbidge said. “The 9.67 was a small one on the inside but it had a lump that pushed across the whole wave and let me do enough turns to get the big score."

Durbidge lost to Fanning in the Final of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast last year, but has maintained the momentum that saw him claim the last event title on the 2007 ASP World Tour in Hawaii.

“There's a long way to go still, but it would be good to go one better than last year,” Durbidge said. “It's certainly one of my goals – it would be amazing to win here at home, it would be really special.”

There are still six heats of Round 3 to go and a call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7am.

The Quiksilver Pro pres. by LG will be webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com/quikpro.

For more information, including athlete quotes and complimentary images, visit the Press Room on www.aspworldtour.com

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 3 Results:
Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 17.63 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 12.44
Heat 2: Ben Dunn (AUS) 15.33 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 10.83
Heat 3: Taylor Knox (USA) 12.56 def. Dayyan Neve (AUS) 12.43
Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 17.00 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 8.84
Heat 5: Dean Morrison (AUS) 16.10 def. Dane Reynolds (AUS) 13.27
Heat 6: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 19.03 def. Bobby Martinez (USA) 15.74
Heat 7: Leonardo Neves (BRA) 14.00 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 8.66
Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) 17.57 def. Julian Wilson (AUS) 7.33
Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS) 19.20 vs. Mikael Picon (FRA) 7.77

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 4 Match-Ups:
Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)
Heat 2: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Joel Parkinson (AUS)
Heat 3: Dean Morison (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)
Heat 4: Leonardo Neves (BRA) vs. Mick Fanning (AUS)
Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Taj Burrow (AUS)
Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. TBA

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #8 am: März 02, 2008, 20:52:08 »

Picon Defeated by Unstoppable Burrow in Round 3, Flores Last Euro in Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

Image of Taj Burrow (AUS) during his Round 3 against Miky Picon (FRA)

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Sunday, Mar. 2, 2008) –  Miky Picon (FRA), who waited for his Round 3 duel for more than a week, paddled back out today to face 2007 ASP World Tour Runner-up Taj Burrow (AUS) in Heat 9. Picon watched the first eight heats of Round 3 from the competitors’ area while thousands of French fans waited anxiously on the Quiksilver Pro live webcast to see him surf, but the Frenchman was severely defeated scoring a low 7.66 pts total.

Burrow, who scored back to back 9.87 and 9.33 point rides in the first 12 minutes of the heat, was unstoppable posting a 19.20 heat total (out of possible 20), the highest one of the event so far, to advance to Round 4.

Picon finishes his Quiksilver Pro run with an equal 17th place after besting 3X ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) in Round 1 and falling to world title contender and event favorite Burrow.

Jeremy Flores (FRA), who will surf in Heat 11 first thing tomorrow, spent an hour with the French internet commentators while waiting for his duel that was to be cancelled later on. Answering hundreds of questions from his fans up all night to see their favorite surfers in action, Flores commentated Dane Reynolds’ (USA) heat against Dean Morrison with his experience of ASP World Tour events.

Enjoying the view from the commentators’ booth and witnessing Morrison’s great wave choice that gave him the win over Reynolds, Flores seemed confident and focused before his Round 3 match-up against Jay Thompson (AUS).

“Jay is a local and he will have great support on his beach, but I’ve been coming here for 10 years now and I know the Superbank pretty well,” Flores said. “He is a powerful surfer and I expect him to throw big sprays of water on every turn, but I will be ready.”

“It is great to see all these people watching and supporting us on the other side of the world, even when they have to stay up all night,” Flores said. “Since Eric Rebière (FRA) became the first French surfer to qualify for the ASP World Tour in 2005, the audience keeps growing every year and it is something important for us Europeans when we are Down Under.”

With the wind rising, organisers were forced to call the contest off after Heat 10. From the four Europeans who started their 2008 ASP World Tour campaign a week ago, only Flores remains in the race for the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast crown.

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com!

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #9 am: März 03, 2008, 09:15:16 »

Flores Defeats Thompson in Round 3 of Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Monday, Mar. 3, 2008) - Jeremy Flores (FRA), 19, who resides in New Caledonia, surfed his way through to Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG this morning. After Miky Picon’s (FRA) elimination in Round 3 Sunday, Flores is Europe’s last representative in the Quiksilver Pro.

Flores, who faced Jay Thompson (AUS) in the first heat of the day, showed solid skills and tactics to eliminate local powersurfer Thompson in the clean 2 to 3 ft (0.7 to 1 meter) waves at Snapper Rocks. The 2007 ASP Rookie of the Year led Heat 11 all the way through to the end, and scored a 12.83 heat tally (out of possible 20) to secure his spot in Round 4.

“I surfed a lot of waves and I wanted to feel good on this new board after breaking my two favorite ones last week,” Flores said. “It wasn’t an intense heat but I am really happy to make it though.”

“The other European surfers have lost already but they all woke-up early this morning to support me in this heat,” Flores said. “A lot of French people are on the beach to watch my heats, my father and my personal trainer are here as well and it is very important for my confidence and focus.”

Jay Thompson, 25, 2008 ASP World Tour rookie from Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, had the crowd’s support during the 35-minute man-on-man battle but could not counter the Frenchman’s assault, catching one average wave only for a low 5.50 total.

Flores will now surf against Tim Reyes (USA) in Heat 5 of Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG when competition resumes tomorrow. After several injuries that kept him away fro the ASP World Tour, Reyes has been in great form since the kick off of the 2008 ASP World Tour, defeating former ASP World Champion CJ Hobgood (USA) in Round 3. The event can possibly come to its end tomorrow.

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com!

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #10 am: März 03, 2008, 09:18:03 »

Stop No. 1 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World

Slater and Irons Step it Up at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

Photo: Kelly Slater illustrates why he has eight ASP World Championship trophies.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Monday, Mar. 3, 2008) – Former ASP World Champions Kelly Slater (USA) and Andy Irons (HAW) brought their championship form to the beach to advance into Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG today.

Despite having 11 ASP World Titles between them, Slater and Irons slipped down the ratings in 2007, finishing 3rd and 6th in the world respectively. Their Quiksilver Pro campaigns have seen both surfers reemerge reenergized.

“I guess people are expecting big things out of rookies Dane Reynolds and Jordy Smith this year so I’m sure the other surfers are trying to pick up their level to say, ‘Hey we’re in this thing too.’” Slater said.

Slater’s Round 3 heat total of 17.93 (out of 20.00), left Brazilian rookie Heitor Alves needing two excellent scoring rides to twist fate. The 8X ASP World Champion will face Brazilian Adriano de Souza in Round 4, but is not sure what is next once the Quiksilver Pro wraps up.

“I guess you have to have some sort of plan, but right now I’m sort of floating, figuring out what feels right and I guess I’ll figure it out in the next few weeks,” Slater said. “At this stage I’m not going to Bells, and if I don’t go to Bells then I’m not sure which will be my next event.”

If Slater wins his next heat he will face either Irons or Kai Otton (AUS) in the Quarters. Slater and Irons have not surfed in a heat together since they both made the Pipemasters Final in 2006.

Their rivalry will go down in history as one of the sport’s greatest and Irons is not anxious to see Slater bow out now.

“I don’t believe it,” Irons said of Slater’s claim that he won’t be at Bells Beach. “I’ll believe it when the first heat goes out and he’s not in it, until then I’ll assume he’s competing in every event because I’ve heard this five times before. As far as I’m concerned I hope he sticks around, he’s a valuable person for the tour and for surfing. I know he does a lot for me, he keeps me motivated and makes me try my hardest, so I hope he doesn’t retire.”

Irons beat Ben Bourgeois (USA) 17.84 to 11.33 and was adamant about surfing his own game.

“When the waves come, there are high scores possible, it’s just a matter of being patient and waiting to make sure you get on them,” Irons said. “I watched everyone else’s heats and everyone is surfing well, but I just wanted to make sure I took my time, did my own thing and didn’t surf like anyone else.”

The first two heats of Round 4 were run today before conditions at Snapper Rocks deteriorated. Locals Bede Durbidge (AUS) and Joel Parkinson (AUS) advanced and will now meet in Quarterfinal 1.

The next heat to hit the water will be rookie Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. former Quiksilver Pro winner Dean Morrison (AUS). Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS), World No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS) and ASP Rookie of the Year Jeremy Flores (FRA) are also on deck in Round 4.

The competition could be wrapped up in one day, but there are two more days in the event waiting period and event officials will watch conditions and coordinate accordingly.

The Quiksilver Pro pres. by LG will be webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com/quikpro.

For more information, including athlete quotes and complimentary images, visit the Press Room on www.aspworldtour.com

Today's Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 3 Results:

Heat 11: Jeremy Flores (AUS) 12.83 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 5.23

Heat 12: Tim Reyes (USA) 16.50 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 13.00

Heat 13: Kelly Slater (USA) 17.93 def. Heitor Alves (BRA) 13.83

Heat 14: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 13.17 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 10.33

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) 17.84 def. Ben Bourgeois (USA) 11.33

Heat 16: Kai Otton (AUS) 16.33 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 6.00

Today's Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 4 Results:

Heat 1 Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.73 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 10.17

Heat 2: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 11.50 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 11.17

Remaining Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 3: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

Heat 5: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 6: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Tim Reyes (USA)

Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #11 am: März 03, 2008, 23:29:00 »

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast Champion will be Crowned Today

Photo: Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning and his fans.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Tuesday, Mar. 4, 2008) – There are 13 heats of Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast competition remaining, and Heat 4 of Round 4 featuring Dean Morrison (AUS) and Jordy Smith (ZAF) will hit the water at 8:30am local time.

With the exception of recently retired Australian surfer Mick Lowe, every former winner of the event remains in contention for the 2008 title. Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) is looking for his third Quiksilver Pro title today, while 8X ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), Joel Parkinson (AUS) and Morrison (AUS) are looking for their second.

Other event favorites hungry to start their 2008 ASP World Tour campaigns with a win are 3X World Champion Andy Irons (USA), World No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS), World No. 5 Bede Durbidge (AUS) and rookie Jordy Smith (ZAF).

The Final will hit the water at roughly 3pm today.

Today's Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 4 Results:
Heat 1 Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.73 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 10.17
Heat 2: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 11.50 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 11.17

Remaining Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 4 Match-Ups:
Heat 3: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)
Heat 5: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)
Heat 6: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Tim Reyes (USA)
Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)
Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #12 am: März 04, 2008, 09:15:47 »

Jeremy Flores Places Third in Quiksliver Pro Gold Coast

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Tuesday, Mar. 4, 2008) – Jeremy Flores (FRA) lost to Kelly Slater (USA) in Semifinal #2 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG today, in consistent three foot (1 meter) waves at Snapper Rocks.

Flores, who kept the Quiksilver Pro French webcast audience up all night in France, equaled his best ASP World Tour result (in Trestles last year) finishing with an equal 3rd place and valuable US$ 12 000 of prizemoney behind 8X ASP World Champion and 2008 Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast winner Slater.

Flores’ consistency had him leading the heat until Slater scored his two counting waves in the last ten minutes, leaving Jeremy short of 7.81 points to catch-up despite an honorable 15.17 pts heat tally (out of possible 20).

“Kelly surfed better than I did so I cannot be angry, but I should have opened my surf more,” Flores said. “To finish with a 3rd is a great relieve before the next event and to lose to Kelly is not that disappointing for me.”

“My trainer is already waiting for me so I will relax after that and why not have a little party with the other Europeans tonight,” Flores said. “I am stoked and happy with this start”.

Flores, who bests his 2007 finish on the Gold Coast (equal 9th), starts his 2008 ASP World Tour campaign better than he expected

“I hope I will not have to run as much Word Qualifying Series (WQS) events as last year,” Flores said. “I am aiming at securing several good results in the first events of the year, spend more time home, travel less and focus on the ASP World Tour contests if I can.”

Best European of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast by far, the 19-year-old Reunion Island born surfer had to defeat New South Wales competitor Adrian Buchan (AUS) in Quarterfinal #3 and Tim Reyes (USA) earlier in the day in Round 4 on his way to meet Slater, respectively posting solid 15.94 and 15.34 heat totals to reach semifinals.

The other three ASP World Tour Europeans all started their 2008 campaign in the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG, with different fates.

2008 ASP World Tour rookie Aritz Aranburu (EUK) had to pull out of the event after Round 1, due to a broken meniscus and over-extended knee ligaments that will keep him out of water for 6 weeks. Miky Picon (FRA), who bested Andy Irons (HAW) in Round 1 before losing to highscorer of the event Taj Burrow in Round 3, got an equal 17th place finish. Tiago Pires (PRT), first Portuguese surfer ever to join the Top 45, lost in Round 2 against Leonardo Neves (BRA). 

Europe’s four representatives will now move to Stop #2 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, the Rip Curl Pro Bell’s Beach, Victoria, Australia.

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #13 am: März 04, 2008, 09:38:18 »

Kelly ist immer noch der King !!

Kelly Slater Back to World No. 1 with Quiksilver Pro Win Over Fanning

Photo: Kelly Slater (USA) is ASP World No. 1 again!

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Tuesday, Mar. 4, 2008) – Eight-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) is once again World No. 1 after beating Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) at his home break of Snapper Rocks.

Slater defeated Fanning 17.94 to 15.23 to claim his second Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast title and position himself atop the ratings for the first time since claiming his last ASP World Crown in 2006.

“It’s really satisfying,” Slater said. “I didn’t feel like I really got into motion last year. Obviously Trestles was good with a win, but the end of the year was pretty lackluster for me. Even getting into the Quarters  today I was thinking, ‘This is the best result I’ve had in six months’ It just felt great.”

Slater and Fanning have now met in ASP competition nine times; Slater leads the exchange 5 to 4. Notably, previous to his win today, Slater had not beat Fanning since 2003. Both surfers have now won the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast twice – Fanning in 2005 and 2007 and Slater in 2006 and 2008.

“Mick is definitely the best competitor in the world right now,” Slater said. “He makes very few mistakes and surfs the face of the wave real well time and again. He’s one of those rare guys who can come from behind or take control from the front and pull out the big manoeuvres to get the big scores when he needs to.”

Compliments aside, Slater had no reservations about beating the Reigning and ASP and Quiksilver Pro Champion at home in front of a capacity crowd.

“Feel bad about beating Mick at home? Not in the least,” Slater said. “He’s won this event twice, I had to catch up.”

Slater has hinted that he will compete on the 2008 ASP World Tour selectively and has gone so far as to say he won’t surf the next event in Bells Beach. He made similar statements in early 2006, but after winning the Quiksilver Pro at Snapper, decided to go to Bells anyway.  He won the ASP World Title for the eighth time that year.

“Yea, I was in the same position back in 2006 and didn’t decide on Bells until two days before,” Slater said. “The one thing that got me over the edge was the swell forecast and the fact that I was in Australia at the time. I was sort of at a low point personally with a lot of things and the event sort of kept my mind off it for a week or two while I was there – it kind of got me in the swing of things for the year and I was coming off a lot of confidence from the year before, so the wins where coming easy in heats. I seemed to be making the right choices in the water and riding that wave of confidence from the year before.”

Slater’s wins didn’t come easily today. He had to beat 3X ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) in the Quarters and 2007 Rookie of the Year Jeremy Flores (FRA) in the Semis prior to his heat with Fanning today.

“I’ve never get to surf against Andy (Irons) until the finals and we haven’t surfed against each other in a two man heat in about two and a half years,” Slater said. “In that heat against Jeremy (Flores) I had very little energy and I really had to push it on my one big score. It’s good to win a contest, but to beat the top guys to get there is even better.”

Fanning, who took the World No. 1 spot with a win at this event last year, had not relinquished the top spot until today. He had the highest scoring wave of the Final heat – a 9.33 – but needed to back it up with an 8.61 he never found.

“I wanted another wave to come through and unfortunately for me it didn’t happen but Kelly surfed amazing all event and he’s the greatest surfer of all time,” Fanning said. “I was just praying for another wave but it didn’t come.

Fanning had to beat an in-form Bede Durbidge (AUS) and Dean Morrison (AUS) prior in the day to earn his Final berth this afternoon.

“I didn’t know exactly how I was going to go in this event, but I felt really relaxed the whole event and did things when I needed to,” Fanning said. “I just needed one more little wave to pop up but it didn’t happen.”

Fanning’s Semifinal clash against Durbidge was a repeat of last year’s event Final which Fanning won.

“It’s crazy that we met here again,” Durbidge said. “I wanted to get him so bad, but he’s just been surfing so well and he was the better man out there. It’s still a good start to the year though. I wanted to put myself up amongst the top contenders and up there on the ratings.”

Durbidge, who is now rated equal 3rd behind Slater and Fanning, won the last event of the 2007 ASP World Tour in Hawaii and finished the season World No. 5. He was hoping to better his 2007 Quiksilver Pro result and win at Snapper Rocks, but failed to find the 8.73 he needed to change the situation. The 8.50 he did manage with minutes to go was close, but not close enough.

“I’m a little bit disappointed, but it was a good heat that came down to the wire and Mick just got me in the end,” Durbidge said. “It was so close it was frustrating, but it was tricky and a little bit smaller and I tried my hardest and just didn’t come through.”

Jeremy Flores (FRA) also finished equal 3rd today. Despite opening the heat strong and pressuring Slater to find a combination of two excellent scoring rides to beat him, Flores eventually lost the heat 15.47 to 15.17.

“It’s a great result for me in the first event,” Flores said. The heat was pretty close but I think I could have surfed better. I didn’t really open up my surfing too much in this competition, I could have surfed a whole lot better, but I’m happy with my result and losing to Kelly in the Semifinal is not too bad.”

The next event on the 2008 ASP World Tour will take place in Bells Beach Australia from March 18-29, 2008.

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Final Results:

Final: Kelly Slater (USA) 17.94 def. Mick Fanning (AUS) 15.23

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Semifinal Results:

Semifinal 1: Mick Fanning (AUS) 17.23 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 16.70

Semifinal 2: Kelly Slater (USA) 15.47 def. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 15.17

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Quarterfinal Results:

Quarterfinal 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 16.66 def. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 15.34

Quarterfinal 2: Mick Fanning (AUS) 14.34 def. Dean Morrison (AUS) 13.06

Quarterfinal 3: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 15.94 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.16

Quarterfinal 4: Kelly Slater (USA) 17.00 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 10.94

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by LG Round 4 Results:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.73 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 10.17

Heat 2: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 14.50 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 11.17

Heat 3: Dean Morrison (AUS) 15.60 def. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.34

Heat 4: Mick Fanning (AUS) 14.34 def. Leonardo Neves (BRA) 10.10

Heat 5: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 15.84 def. Taj Burrow (AUS) 12.00

Heat 6: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 15.34 def. Tim Reyes (USA) 10.40

Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) 18.50 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 17.50

Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) 15.50 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 11.67

ASP World Tour Ratings after the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

1. Kelly Slater (USA) 1200 points

2. Mick Fanning (AUS) 1032 points

3. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 876 points

3. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 876 points

5. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 732 points

5. Dean Morrison (AUS) 732 points

5. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 732 points

5. Andy Irons (HAW) 732 points

9.  Ben Dunn (AUS) 600 points

9.  Taylor Knox (USA) 600 points

9.  Jordy Smith (ZAF) 600 points

9.  Leonardo Neves (BRA) 600 points

9. Taj Burrow (AUS) 600 points

9. Tim Reyes (USA) 600 points

9. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 600 points

9. Kai Otton (AUS) 600 points

For all Top 45 ASP ratings visit www.aspworldtour.com.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #14 am: März 14, 2008, 09:39:55 »

Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach
Event 2 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour
Bells Beach, Torquay, Australia
March 18-29, 2008

ASP World Tour Surfers Get Ready for the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach

Photo: Taj Burrow rings the Bell in 2007 while Andy Irons congratulates him with a beer.

COOLANGATTA, Australia (Wednesday, March 12, 2008) – The Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach, the second of 11 stops on the 2008 ASP World Tour, is the longest-running event in professional surfing history. To ‘ring the bell’ – or win the coveted bell-shaped trophy – is considered one of the sport’s highest honors.

Taj Burrow (AUS), runner-up to the 2007 ASP World Title, took top honors at Bells Beach last year when he beat 3X ASP World Champion Andy Irons (AUS) -who won the event in 2002 and 2003 - in the Final. After finishing 9th in the season opener at Snapper Rocks on the Gold Coast of Australia, Burrow is eager to repeat and get on a roll.

“I'm so psyched for Bells,” Burrow said. “I want nothing more than to ring that bell back to back, especially after a slow start at Snapper. I want to make up some ground ASAP and Bells is where I plan on doing it.”

Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) finished second to 8X ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) in the first event of the 2008 season. Despite a great start to his title defense and a tour kick-off fans could not have written better, Fanning is fired up to regain the World No. 1 rating.

“I could have written it better, but it was a great event to start the year,” Fanning joked. “Everyone was surfing so well and it is like the standard has raised another notch. It was a great event for me and I am really excited with the start.”

Fanning will marry fiancée Karissa Dalton this Saturday but come Monday, the newlywed will shift his focus to adding a second Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach trophy to the mantle. Fanning won the event as a wildcard in 2001.

“Yeah, I’m getting married, so I have  been a little busy but I still have a lot of time to surf and train and also have fun,” Fanning said. “I always enjoy Bells and really am looking forward to getting down there again. I have good feelings for the event and hope we all get some really good waves. I am sure the level of surfing will be amazing.”

Current World No. 3 Bede Durbidge (AUS) wed his longtime girlfriend Tarryn in February and it appears that married life suits his surfing – he only narrowly lost to Fanning in the semifinals of the Gold Coast event.

“I have settled into married life really well and I’m lucky to have Tarryn because she supports my surfing career 100%,” Durbidge said. “Mick and Karrisa have a great relationship so it’s great to see them getting married.”

Durbidge won the Pipeline Masters in Hawaii last year to finish a career-best World No. 5 on the ASP ratings and secure a high seeding for 2008.

“It was great to finish in the top 5 last year then start this year with a 3rd,” Durbidge said. “I feel my surfing has improved a lot from last year. It definitely gives me confidence being right up there on the ratings and I’m really excited for Bells. I love it down there and I have been going down there every year since I was 15 so I’m looking to put in a strong performance down there.”

Jeremey Flores finished his 2007 rookie year World No. 9, but is currently rated equal 3rd courtesy of a semifinal berth against Slater on the Gold Coast. He leads the charge for a record four Europeans on the 2008 ASP World Tour.

“I'm so happy already with my first result at Snapper,” Flores said, “I'm still very young and I have so much to learn still but I feel like my surfing is improving in many aspects which is positive for the future. I did many juniors event at Bells when I was a kid so I know the wave well, but it’s definitely going to be a hard event. There is so many guys that have so much more experience who are ripping at Bells.”

Slater, who is once again World No. 1 after his win in the first event of the year, has rung the bell twice – in 1994 and in 2006. He went on to win the ASP World Title both years.  Slater has not yet confirmed whether or not he will go after a third Bells Beach title next week.

Rookie Aritz Aranburu (EUK) has withdrawn due to injury and will be replaced by Nic Muscroft (AUS). California’s Chris Ward, who pulled out of the first event of the year for personal reasons, is confirmed to compete next week.

The official waiting period for the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach stretches from March 18-29, 2008.

PRESS OPPORTUNITY

You are invited to attend the official Media Launch for the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Surf & Music Festival at Bells Beach.

The Media Launch will be held onsite at Bells Beach in the new Media Centre Room from 11am to 12.30pm on Monday, March 17.

Reigning ASP World Champions Mick Fanning and Stephanie Gilmore will be in attendance, along with invited surfers Taj Burrow and Sofia Mulanovich.

The running order of the Media Launch will see a seated Press Conference from 11am to 11.30am, then one-on-one interview opportunities from 11.45am to 12.30pm.