Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 21, 2024, 06:45:41
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Quik Pro Gold Coast 2010  (Gelesen 2961 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
Quik Pro Gold Coast 2010
« am: Februar 26, 2010, 09:58:29 »

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by Land Rover
Stop No. 1 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour
Roxy Pro Gold Coast
Snapper Rocks, Coolangatta, Queensland, Australia
February 27 – March 10,2010

Intensity Reaches Fever Pitch on Eve of ASP World Tour Kick-Off

http://www.aspworldtour.com/photos/QGC08/irons9713quickgc08kirstin_l.jpg

Pictured: Andy Irons (HAW), 31, former three-time ASP World Champion, is back to full-time competition on the ASP World Tour, and will kick-start his 2010 campaign at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover.

Credit: © ASP / SCHOLTZ

COOLANGATTA, Queensland/Australia (Friday, February 26, 2010) – The Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover, Event No. 1 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, is one day from commencing its waiting period, and with swell projected over the next couple days, the world’s best surfers could be doing battle as early as tomorrow.

With the greatest assemblage of surfing talent in history preparing to do battle in some of the best waves on the planet, the ASP Dream Tour’s global audience will enjoy 15 ASP World Titles represented amongst the ASP Top 45 as well as one of the most daunting rookie classes in memory.

Andy Irons (HAW), 31, former three-time ASP World Champion, will return to full-time competition this season, kick-starting his 2010 campaign at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

“This is really big for me,” Irons said. “Just coming back and seeing the whole show – it’s definitely a show.”

After a sabbatical from full-time competition in 2009 (choosing only to compete in select events), Irons return to the ASP World Tour provides another interesting dynamic to what is already being heralded as the greatest assemblage of surfing talent the world has ever seen.

“I’m excited,” Irons said. “It’s been a while. I’ve surfed a few contests since two years ago, but haven’t had much luck. I’m just excited to get back into a singlet, surfing good waves and just having fun with it.”

While Irons is considered one of the most dangerous competitors to ever don a competition singlet, the well-built Kauaian is looking at 2010 as a rebuilding year.

“I’m just cruising,” Irons said. “I have nothing to prove. I have already accomplished all my dreams and I just want to go out and win contests. I’d love to do well of course. The ASP World Title is probably not in my picture this year, I’d say, I’m more just out there to get my feet wet, and get back into things and feel comfortable again. I think this is going to be more of a learning year again.”

Irons will face veteran Australians Tom Whitaker (AUS), 30, and Jay Thompson (AUS), 27, in the opening round of competition.

Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, reigning two-time ASP World Champion, Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, 2009 ASP World Runner-Up, Kelly Slater (USA), 38, former nine-time ASP World Champion, and the rest of the ASP Top 45 will all have their work cut out for them this season as the ASP reduces the field to 32 following the fifth event of the season.

Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, current ASP World No. 5 and last year’s event Runner-Up, has enjoyed a constant ascent in his tenure amongst the world’s best, but admits this season’s reduction in field puts everyone in the same boat.

“I have been very fortunate the last two years and have achieved my goal of cracking the ASP Top 5,” De Souza said. “I don’t feel like this is my year to challenge for the ASP World Title, but my goal is to make Top 5 again. I have been training hard over the off-season and working with my shaper to get good boards.”

“The reduction in field has everyone a bit nervous,” De Souza said. “You can’t rely on a strong push in the back half of the year. You have to be on your game from the first event. You’re going to see some intense surfing at Snapper Rocks.”

For the first time in the event’s storied nine-year history, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast will be broadcast LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia, beaming the world’s best surfing right into your living room.

To find out how you can watch the world’s best surfers in one of the world’s most iconic pointbreaks LIVE on FUEL TV, check out www.foxsports.com.au/fueltv

The Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by Land Rover will feature the world’s best surfers from February 27 through March 10, 2010 and will be webcast LIVE via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

The Roxy Pro Gold Coast, featuring the ASP Top 17, will run in conjunction with the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Dane Reynolds (USA), Roy Powers (HAW), Brett Simpson (USA)

Heat 2: Damien Hobgood (USA), Jeremy Flores (FRA), Matt Wilkinson (AUS)
Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA), Tiago Pires (PRT), Tanner Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Adrian Buchan (AUS), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 5: Kelly Slater (USA), Ben Dunn (AUS), Marco Polo (BRA)

Heat 6: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Michel Bourez (PYF), Blake Thornton (AUS)

Heat 7: Taj Burrow (AUS), Chris Davidson (AUS), Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS), Kai Otton (AUS), Garrett Parkes (AUS)

Heat 9: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), Blake Ainsworth (AUS)

Heat 10: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Mick Campbell (AUS), Craig Anderson (AUS)

Heat 11: Jordy Smith (ZAF), Drew Courtney (AUS), Dusty Payne (HAW)

Heat 12: Taylor Knox (USA), Luke Stedman (AUS), Nathan Yeomans (USA)

Heat 13: Tom Whitaker (AUS), Andy Irons (HAW), Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 14: Kieren Perrow (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS), Luke Munro (AUS)

Heat 15: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Patrick Gudauskas (USA), Owen Wright (AUS)

Heat 16: Dean Morrison (AUS), Jadson Andre (BRA), Adam Melling (AUS)

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS), Paige Hareb (NZL), Carissa Moore (HAW)

Heat 2: Coco Ho (HAW), Rebecca Woods (AUS), Claire Bevilacqua (AUS)
Heat 3: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), Bruna Schmitz (BRA), Tyler Wright (AUS)

Heat 4: Silvana Lima (BRA), Jessi Miley-Dyer (AUS), Nikita Robb (ZAF)
Heat 5: Sofia Mulanovich (PER), Rosanne Hodge (ZAF), Lee Ann Curren (FRA)
Heat 6: Melanie Bartels (HAW), Chelsea Hedges (AUS), Amee Donohoe (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: Quik Pro Gold Coast 2010
« Antwort #1 am: Februar 27, 2010, 09:15:23 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

ASP Top Seeds Dominate Day 1 of Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast at Snapper Rocks

Pictured: Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, reigning two-time ASP World Champion, posted his first heat win of 2010 this morning in Round 1 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, beginning his campaign for a third ASP World Title.

COOLANGATTA, Queensland/Australia (Saturday, February 27, 2010) – Round 1 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover was completed today in pulsing two-to-three foot (1 metre) waves at Snapper Rocks on Australia’s Gold Coast.

The opening event of the 2010 ASP World Tour season, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast ignites the greatest assemblage of surfing talent in history, and today’s top performers proved no surprise with perennial ASP World Title threats dominating Round 1 of competition.

Kelly Slater (USA), 38, former nine-time ASP World Champion and current ASP World No. 6, has refocused his attention on vying for an unprecedented 10th ASP World Title this season, and his dominance is the opening round of competition put his fellow competitors on notice. Slater posted the highest heat total of the day, a 17.77 out of a possible 20, including the day’s high single-wave score of a 9.27 out of a possible 10 for a deep forehand barrel.

“I missed a really good wave at the beginning of the heat and it kind of focused me,” Slater said. “I was looking at the thing just barreling off at me and it was really frustrating so I thought I needed to be more patient. I got that 8.50, it looked like it might fatten out and it had that slow steep at the beginning so I got that carve in. I was waiting for it to build back up and then it lined up and was a good wave. Obviously that 9.00 too, probably the best wave that came in during the heat, the thing barreled really hard and was fun."

Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, reigning two-time ASP World Champion, wasted no time in reasserting himself as one of the most lethal surfers on tour this year, dispatching of compatriot Kai Otton (AUS), 30, and wildcard Garrett Parkes (AUS), 18, with an excellent 17.36 out of a possible 20.

“It’s great,” Fanning said. “I’m stoked to be able to surf good Snapper to start off the year. Happy to get through a heat and bounce back from last week (at Burleigh Heads). I was really just looking to get scores on the board, which went fine. I’m having a bit of a hard time with my boards. My shaper Darren (Handley) and I kind of went backwards during the off-season. I was lucky this old one was good enough so hopefully we get a few of these made."

With an increasingly difficult sweep running through the line-up, the world’s best surfers not only battled one another, but Mother Nature as well. Fanning, utilizing years of experience at the break, used the conditions to his advantage.

“You just have to know what to look for out in the water,” Fanning said. “It’s a little bit tricky and what can look like a good wave behind the rock doesn’t always last. I’m just stoked to get through.”

Other top seeds Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, and Adriano De Souza (BRA), 23, also posted Round 1 victories.

Owen Wright (AUS), 20, Brett Simpson (USA), 25, Dusty Payne (HAW), 21, and Jadson Andre (BRA), 19, led the rookie charge today, all three collecting Round 1 heat wins and advancing directly into Round 3. Wright looked impressive in the challenging afternoon conditions, besting fellow rookie Patrick Gudauskas (USA), 24, and current ASP World No. 15, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), 28, in their opening round bout.

“It feels good to have my first heat on the ASP World Tour,” Wright said. “It’s tough work out there with a few run-arounds. A few poundings and it’s just great to be out there. Really exciting to put the singlet on and have a god against the world’s best.”

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 6:30am to assess conditions for a possible 7:30am start.

When Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast competition resumes, up first will be current ASP World No. 4 Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, up against wildcard Garrett Parkes (AUS), 18, in the opening heat of the man-on-man elimination Round 2.

For the first time in the event’s storied nine-year history, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast is being broadcast LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia, beaming the world’s best surfing right into your living room. A 90-minute highlight show will be televised each night as well.

To find out how you can watch the world’s best surfers in one of the world’s most iconic pointbreaks LIVE on FUEL TV, check out www.foxsports.com.au/fueltv

The Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast pres. by Land Rover will feature the world’s best surfers from February 27 through March 10, 2010 and will be webcast LIVE via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

The Roxy Pro Gold Coast, featuring the ASP Top 17, will run in conjunction with the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 1 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Brett Simpson (USA) 10.67, Dane Reynolds (USA) 6.70, Roy Powers (HAW) 6.24

Heat 2: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 12.67, Damien Hobgood (USA) 12.23, Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 7.97
Heat 3: Tiago Pires (PRT) 13.26, Bobby Martinez (USA) 12.70, Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 11.94

Heat 4: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.30, Travis Logie (ZAF) 10.36, C.J. Hobgood (USA) 8.26

Heat 5: Kelly Slater (USA) 17.77, Ben Dunn (AUS) 9.50, Marco Polo (BRA) 7.34

Heat 6: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 13.90, Michel Bourez (PYF) 13.47, Blake Thornton (AUS) 8.86

Heat 7: Chris Davidson (AUS) 12.50, Taj Burrow (AUS) 9.13, Neco Padaratz (BRA) 6.64

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) 17.36, Kai Otton (AUS) 11.53, Garrett Parkes (AUS) 10.77

Heat 9: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.17, Blake Ainsworth (AUS) 9.73, Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 6.23

Heat 10: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.57, Mick Campbell (AUS) 14.40, Craig Anderson (AUS) 6.16

Heat 11: Dusty Payne (HAW) 11.60, Jordy Smith (ZAF) 9.10, Drew Courtney (AUS) 4.76

Heat 12: Taylor Knox (USA) 14.83, Luke Stedman (AUS) 10.56, Nathan Yeomans (USA) 8.23

Heat 13: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 10.80, Jay Thompson (AUS) 10.66, Andy Irons (HAW) 5.83

Heat 14: Luke Munro (AUS) 12.73, Daniel Ross (AUS) 11.27, Kieren Perrow (AUS) 9.40

Heat 15: Owen Wright (AUS) 14.10, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 13.53, Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 9.57

Heat 16: Jadson Andre (BRA) 14.94, Adam Melling (AUS) 11.30, Dean Morrison (AUS) 11.17

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Garrett Parkes (AUS)

Heat 2: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Blake Ainsworth (AUS)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Craig Anderson (USA)

Heat 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 5: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Blake Thornton (AUS)

Heat 6: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Marco Polo (BRA)

Heat 7: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 8: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Tanner Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 9: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Matt Wilkinson (AUS)

Heat 10: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Nathan Yeomans (USA)

Heat 11: Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 12: Mick Campbell (AUS) vs. Adam Melling (AUS)

Heat 13: Michel Bourez (PYF) vs. Patrick Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 14: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 15: Roy Powers (HAW) vs. Andy Irons (HAW)

Heat 16: Drew Courtney (AUS) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: Februar 28, 2010, 11:55:24 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

Tsunami Threat Forces Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast OFF for Today

Pictured: Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, 2009 ASP World Runner-Up, was a standout in yesterday’s Round 1. No competition today at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, and the site is closed due to a tsunami threat.

COOLANGATTA, Queensland/Australia (Sunday, February 28, 2010) – A magnitude 8.8 earthquake struck off the coast of Chile early Saturday morning, resulting in a tsunami warning for the East Coast of Australia effective today.

Event organizers, coordinating with the Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology, were forced to call both the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover and the Roxy Pro Gold Coast events for the day, with the potential tsunami projected to hit at 8:15am.

“We’ve been monitoring the situation with chief meteorologists throughout the night and all projections are indicating the effects to hit the Gold Coast at approximately 8:15am,” Rod Brooks, Quiksilver Pro Contest Director, said. “What those effects will be, we cannot be sure. We’ve been advised that the biggest surge could hit anywhere from six to 12 hours after the initial surge, so we’ve called competition off for the day. The event site is closed for the day, and we’ll check back tomorrow at 6:30am.”

Event No. 1 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast enjoyed incredible surfing for Round 1 yesterday, with reigning two-time ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, and former nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 38, dominating the opening day of competition.

The event site is closed today.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 6:30am to assess conditions for a possible 7:30am start.

When Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast competition resumes, up first will be current ASP World No. 4 Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, up against wildcard Garrett Parkes (AUS), 18, in the opening heat of the man-on-man elimination Round 2.

For the first time in the event’s storied nine-year history, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast is being broadcast LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia, beaming the world’s best surfing right into your living room. A 90-minute highlight show will be televised each night as well.

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Garrett Parkes (AUS)

Heat 2: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Blake Ainsworth (AUS)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Craig Anderson (USA)

Heat 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 5: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Blake Thornton (AUS)

Heat 6: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Marco Polo (BRA)

Heat 7: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 8: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Tanner Gudauskas (USA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: März 01, 2010, 09:30:54 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

Mega Talents Smith and Reynolds Find Form at Quiksilver Pro Round 2

Pictured: Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, current ASP World No. 11, recovered from a lackluster Round 1 performance with the highest heat total of today, a 17.86 out of a possible 20, dominating the running righthanders with a blitzkrieg of forehand barrels and gaffs.

Credit: © ASP / CESTARI

SNAPPER ROCKS, Queensland/Australia (Monday, March 1, 2010) – The opening eight heats of the elimination, man-on-man Round 2 at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover were completed this afternoon in pulsing two-to-three foot (1 metre) barrelling righthanders at Snapper Rocks.

The opening event of the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast hit the water following the completion of Round 1 of the women’s Roxy Pro Gold Coast, and the world’s best surfers shined in the rippable conditions with the top seeds rebounding throughout their respective Round 2 battles

Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, current ASP World No. 11, recovered from a lackluster Round 1 performance with the highest heat total of today, a 17.86 out of a possible 20, dominating the running righthanders with a blitzkrieg of forehand barrels and gaffs.

“You always want to try to impress the crowd and whoever’s watching but you just got to slow it down sometimes and just try to get the scores,” Smith said. “I just surf like 70% or 80% and then, in the later rounds, I just give everything.”

Contributing to Smith’s victory today was a near-perfect 9.93 out of a possible 10 (the highest scoring wave of the day), for a super deep forehand barrel that brought the tens of thousands in attendance to their feet in raucous approval.

“I kind of got lucky on that one wave,” Smith said. “It was such a good wave. I’m sure anyone could have had a good score. I’m just lucky I got it. It was kind of slow in the beginning and then walled up all the way down the bank.”

Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, current ASP World No. 10, was another standout in this afternoon’s glassy conditions, posting an impressive 17.33 out of a possible 20, eliminating 2010 ASP Dream Tour rookie Blake Thornton (AUS), 29.

“I was happy they ran it today,” Reynolds said. “The other morning, I kind of got sacrificed for the tide because they have to start at a certain point to finish the round, and the first heat they’re going to start in bad surf. But today it’s really fun out there and they made a great call.”

Despite today’s emphatic win, the young Californian remains guarded when discussing the remainder of the event, citing equipment uncertainty as amongst his chief concerns.

“I was actually really nervous before surfing today because I’ve been riding a ton of boards and surfing really terrible,” Reynolds said. “I’ve just been really confused with the surf here because I’m coming from surfing California the last two months where it’s high interval swells and there’s a lot of energy to it. The energy is hitting mushy pointbreaks and then you come here and it’s 8-second intervals so there’s nothing behind and it’s in a shallow sandbar so they’re round and soft at the same time so you really need a different sort of boards to work here.”

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 6:30am to assess conditions for a possible 8am start.

For the first time in the events’ storied nine-year history, the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro Gold Coast events are being televised LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia, beaming the world’s best surfing right into your living room.

Highlights from today’s Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover are available via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 14.84 def. Garrett Parkes (AUS) 11.83

Heat 2: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 14.93 def. Blake Ainsworth (AUS) 12.76

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) 10.07 def. Craig Anderson (USA) 8.70

Heat 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) 15.57 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 13.73

Heat 5: Dane Reynolds (USA) 17.33 def. Blake Thornton (AUS) 10.23

Heat 6: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17.86 def. Marco Polo (BRA) 10.27

Heat 7: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 14.87 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 13.37

Heat 8: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 16.10 def. Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 15.56

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST REMAINING ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Sofia Mulanovich (PER), Bruna Schmitz (BRA), Nikita Robb (ZAF)

Heat 2: Chelsea Hedges (AUS), Paige Hareb (NZL), Claire Bevilacqua (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: März 02, 2010, 11:37:56 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

Thoroughbreds and New Bloods Mix Up Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast Round 2

Pictured: Dean Morrison (AUS), 29, former event winner (2003) and current ASP World No. 16, posted the highest-scoring heat total of the round this afternoon, detonating in familiar surroundings to the tune of 15.17 out of a possible 20, dispatching of 2010 ASP World Tour rookie Matt Wilkinson (AUS), 21.

SNAPPER ROCKS, Queensland/Australia (Tuesday, March 2, 2010) – Pulsing two-to-three foot (1 metre) righthanders raced down the point at Snapper Rocks today, bearing witness to the concluding eight Round 2 heats of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover.

The opening event of the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast has assembled to greatest gathering of surfing talent in the sport’s history, and today’s afternoon action including mixed results with thoroughbreds and new bloods lacerating the rippable conditions.

Andy Irons (HAW), 31, former three-time ASP World Champion, posted his first ASP World Tour heat win since returning from a sabbatical from full-time competition in 2009. Although showing shades of old in his Round 2 victory over fellow Kauai surfer Roy Powers (HAW), 29, Irons maintains he needs to make improvements if he’s to challenge for the Top 5 again.

“I’m stoked to be back,” Irons said. “Everyone’s really nice and cool and really supportive. So yes (it’s great to be back), and with all the fans, you know it means the world to me. It just makes me really want to come back and do well, and not just come back just to be here. It’s definitely nerve-wrecking though to be around all the media. It’s not normal, at all. But I used to do it a lot, so I should be able to get a hang of it pretty quick, but it hasn’t happened yet. So hopefully in a couple more days, I’m still in the contest and I get used to it, and hope that the waves get bigger.”

Despite posting an impressive 7.90 out of a possible 10 for a deep forehand barrel followed a series of critical forehand re-entries, the powerful Hawaiian is working through his equipment to find a formula that works for him.

“I’m just trying to feel it out,” Irons said. “It’s the first time I’ve gotten to surf Snapper without a thousand people. It’s still pretty new to me. I’m just trying to figure out boards. Boards are so important out there, and it’s really hard to find the right one. I have to improve a lot more. I have to find the right board. The waves are just really slow and mushy today so I rode a longer board. I usually ride a 5’11” and I rode a 6’1” in that heat. Snapper is a perfect wave, but it really hard to perform here - I don’t know why.”

Irons will take on current ASP World No. 8 Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, in Round 3 when competition resumes.

Dean Morrison (AUS), 29, former event winner (2003) and current ASP World No. 16, posted the highest-scoring heat total of the round this afternoon, detonating in familiar surroundings to the tune of 15.17 out of a possible 20, dispatching of 2010 ASP World Tour rookie Matt Wilkinson (AUS), 21. While Morrison has been threatening over the past several seasons, another victory on the Gold Coast would be the ideal start to the dangerous natural-footer’s 2010 campaign.

"That win in 2003 pretty much means everything because it’s the only one I ever won,” Morrison said. “It’s always nice to come back here and compete and hopefully I’ll try to do it again."

Morrison will face compatriot Kai Otton (AUS), 30, in Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast when competition resumes.

Prior to the completion of the men’s Round 2, the Roxy Pro Gold Coast saw it’s first eliminations of the event with the two Round 2 heats completed in clean morning conditions at Snapper Rocks. Former ASP World Champions Sofia Mulanovich (PER), 26, and Chelsea Hedges (AUS), 26.

"Winning here in 2010 would be an awesome start,” Hedges said. “I had a year off and then last year I kind of had an OK year, but I'm starting to get back into it, now I'm feeling pretty comfortable. I'm pretty amped there are a lot of good events on tour this year."

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow at 6:30am to assess conditions for a possible 8am start.

For the first time in the events’ storied nine-year history, the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro Gold Coast events are being televised LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia, beaming the world’s best surfing right into your living room.

Highlights from today’s Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover are available via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST REMAINING ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Heat 9: Dean Morrison (AUS) 15.17 def. Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 11.33

Heat 10: Kai Otton (AUS) 13.83 def. Nathan Yeomans (USA) 11.37

Heat 11: Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 9.53 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 8.07

Heat 12: Mick Campbell (AUS) 15.17 def. Adam Melling (AUS) 14.00

Heat 13: Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 13.00 def. Michel Bourez (PYF) 11.54

Heat 14: Daniel Ross (AUS) 12.43 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 7.97

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) 14.57 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 13.36

Heat 16: Luke Stedman (AUS) 10.44 def. Drew Courtney (AUS) 9.57

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Jadson Andre (BRA)

Heat 2: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 3: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Chris Davidson (AUS)

Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Owen Wright (AUS)

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Andy Irons (HAW)

Heat 6: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)

Heat 7: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Brett Simpson (USA)

Heat 9: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Dusty Payne (HAW)

Heat 10: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Kekoa Bacalso (HAW)

Heat 11: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 12: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Jeremy Flores (FRA)

Heat 13: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)

Heat 14: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Mick Campbell (AUS)

Heat 15: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Patrick Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 16: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) 14.83, Bruna Schmitz (BRA) 12.76, Nikita Robb (ZAF) 9.67

Heat 2: Chelsea Hedges (AUS) 12.94, Paige Hareb (NZL) 12.43, Claire Bevilacqua (AUS) 5.23

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Coco Ho (HAW) vs. Amee Donohoe (AUS)

Heat 2: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) vs. Bruna Schmitz (BRA)

Heat 3: Paige Hareb (NZL) vs. Rebecca Woods (AUS)

Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) vs. Tyler Wright (AUS)

Heat 5: Silvana Lima (BRA) vs. Lee Ann Curren (FRA)

Heat 6: Chelsea Hedges (AUS) vs. Rosanne Hodge (ZAF)

Heat 7: Melanie Bartels (HAW) vs. Jessi Miley-Dyer (HAW)

Heat 8: Sofia Mulanovich (PER) vs. Carissa Moore (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: März 03, 2010, 09:36:46 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

World’s Best Light Up Snapper Rocks for Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast Round 3

Pictured: Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, current ASP World No. 3, proved the form surfer of the day, posting a near-perfect 19.30 out of a possible 20, to dispatch of Luke Munro (AUS), 27, in their Round 3 bout at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

SNAPPER ROCKS, Queensland/Australia (Wednesday, March 3, 2010) – With pumping three-to-five foot (1 – 2 metre) waves running down the point at Snapper Rocks today, Round 3 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover went off in front of a capacity crowd on the beach and hundreds of thousands watching online and FUEL TV.

The opening event of the 2010 ASP World Tour season, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast has consolidated the greatest assemblage of surfing talent in history, and with one of the most iconic pointbreaks in the world firing throughout the day, the world’s best put on an incendiary performance.

Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, current ASP World No. 3, proved the form surfer of the day, posting a near-perfect 19.30 out of a possible 20, to dispatch of Luke Munro (AUS), 27, in their Round 3 bout. Durbidge blended deep tube rides with progressive forehand gaffs en route to his emphatic victory, even posting the day’s highest single wave score of a 9.93 out of a possible 10.

“I just made that barrel and I just didn’t even care what happened after that,” Durbidge said. “I just went for it. On the ride back on the ski, I was thinking I probably should have finished that wave for the 10, but it’s all good.”

A former Runner-Up at the event, Durbidge is one of the most dangerous surfers at Snapper Rocks, and will look to post a strong result to open up his 2010 ASP World Tour campaign.

“All my family and friends and here and there’s so much hype around this event, being the first of the year, I would love to win this event,” Durbidge said. “It makes all the difference. There’s a lot more energy for you, and waves come your way.”

Durbidge will face current ASP World No. 14 Kieren Perrow (AUS), 33, in Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

Kelly Slater (USA), 38, former nine-time ASP World Champion and current ASP World No. 6, negotiated the varying afternoon conditions today, putting in a solid performance against 2010 ASP Dream Tour rookie Patrick Gudauskas (USA), 24, in Round 3.

“It’s a tough call sitting super deep because you can take off too deep or get one that doesn’t barrel and there are a lot of bumps,” Slater said. “My first one looked pretty nice, but I couldn’t come out and it went from a 10 to a 2, so it’s a challenge out there.”

Slater has drawn South African wunderkind Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, in Round 4 of competition.

Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, reigning two-time ASP World Champion, continued his searing form through Round 3 today, besting 2010 ASP World Tour rookie Brett Simpson (USA), 25, with an intimate rapport with the Snapper Rocks sand bank.

“It’s pretty tricky out there,” Fanning said. “It’s high tide and I don’t really it. I’ve seen a couple in the heat before with Dingo (Morrison) and Kai (Otton), and then Steds (Stedman) and Damo (Hobgood). I thought I could have sat a little bit deeper and I was lucky enough just to get two waves like a 6 and I got that good one (9.07). I just looked for waves that would allow two turns at the start.”

Fanning will take on compatriot Kai Otton (AUS), 30, in Round 4 of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, current ASP World No. 5, put on a clinic in the opening heat of the day, amassing a 16.10 out of a possible 20 to eliminate compatriot and travelling partner Jadson Andre (BRA), 19.

“I feel great to get through that heat and the waves are really fun,” De Souza said. “It’s hard surfing against Jadson (Andre). He’s my roommate and team member and he’s a really good surfer. He may be a rookie, but he’s really smart and he’s a dangerous surfer.”

De Souza, who finished Runner-Up in the event last season, is enthusiastic about his prospects at the 2010 Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, and is confident that a solid result at Snapper Rocks is possible.

“I would love to go one better this year and win on the Gold Coast,” De Souza said. “I have been working really hard in the off season, training and with my boards, and I feel ready for 2010.”

De Souza will face current ASP World No. 23 Adrian Buchan (AUS), 27, in the opening heat of Round 4 when competition resumes.

Highlights from the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover will be available via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

From the Quarterfinals onward, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast will also be broadcast LIVE via ESPN in Brazil.

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 3 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 16.00 def. Jadson Andre (BRA) 14.46

Heat 2: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 14.10 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 13.70

Heat 3: Chris Davidson (AUS) 11.00 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 9.27
Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS) 12.84 def. Owen Wright (AUS) 6.67

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA) 14.16 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 11.26

Heat 6: Damien Hobgood (USA) 14.73 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 13.40

Heat 7: Kai Otton (AUS) 13.97 def. Dean Morrison (AUS) 12.60

Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) 15.74 def. Brett Simpson (USA) 10.43

Heat 9: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 16.63 def. Dusty Payne (HAW) 12.20

Heat 10: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 14.17 def. Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 12.64

Heat 11: Daniel Ross (AUS) 13.54 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 11.00

Heat 12: Dane Reynolds (USA) 13.57 def. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 13.23

Heat 13: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 19.30 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 7.37

Heat 14: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 13.06 def. Mick Campbell (AUS) 12.43

Heat 15: Kelly Slater (USA) 15.37 def. Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 7.56

Heat 16: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 15.23 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 14.77

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 2: Chris Davidson (AUS) vs. Taj Burrow (AUS)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Damien Hobgood (USA)

Heat 4: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Mick Fanning (AUS)

Heat 5: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 6: Daniel Ross (AUS) vs. Dane Reynolds (USA)

Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Coco Ho (HAW) vs. Amee Donohoe (AUS)

Heat 2: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) vs. Bruna Schmitz (BRA)

Heat 3: Paige Hareb (NZL) vs. Rebecca Woods (AUS)

Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) vs. Tyler Wright (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: März 04, 2010, 09:42:07 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

Champions Fall as Dane Reynolds Detonates at Quiksilver Pro Quarterfinals

Pictured: Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, current ASP World No. 10, was slow to start in his Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast campaign, but joined the giant-killing spree this afternoon, dispatching of 2009 ASP World Runner-Up and defending event winner Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, in their Quarterfinal bout.

SNAPPER ROCKS, Queensland/Australia (Thursday, March 4, 2010) – Pumping three-to-five foot (1 – 1.5 metre) pulsed down the point at Snapper Rocks today, setting the stage for the world’s best surfers to unleash upon the warm-water walls at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover and the Roxy Pro Gold Coast.

The opening event of the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast saw Round 4 as well as the Quarterfinals completed today, with some massive upsets as the world’s best surfers

Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, current ASP World No. 10, was slow to start in his Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast campaign, but joined the giant-killing spree this afternoon, dispatching of 2009 ASP World Runner-Up and defending event winner Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, in their Quarterfinal bout.

“I was actually kind of surprised walking up the beach and people were cheering,” Reynolds said. “I thought I was going to get booed or something, but yes that was special. That was one of the biggest heats of my life.  I’ve never won a contest or anything so that was a pretty big one for me.”

Reynolds left nothing to chance against the well-built Australian, posting a 9.27 out of a possible 10 on his opening wave for a series of ferocious forehand attacks and fin-free maneuvers. The Californian backed it up with the highest single-wave score of the day, a 9.93 out of a possible 10, for a blistering forehand assault before navigating through a Houdini-esque barrel. The result was the highest heat total of the day, a 19.20 out of a possible 20, and an emphatic win.

“That was a lot of fun and it was kind of what I was hoping was going to happen,” Reynolds said. “I feel like a lot of the time you’re out there and you see really good waves from the beach and once you’re out there, you’re kind of lost, but they all came together for me that time. I rode a different board - this one felt a lot better. This is the board I rode in my first heat. It felt kind of tricky then and this is only the second time I’ve ridden it, but it felt really good out there today.”

Reynolds will face Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, in the Semifinals when the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast resumes.

Smith caused a major upset in Round 4 earlier today, eliminating former nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 38, with electric surfing and smart tactics.

“He (Slater) is the king of our sport so just being out there surfing in a heat with him, I said to my manager earlier, ‘I don’t even care if i lose,’” Smith said. “You don’t get many opportunities to surf against Kelly, and also I guess it’s another good birthday present for my Mom. It was her birthday yesterday, so just make it through a couple heats is pretty cool.”

Smith would go on to defeat current ASP World No. 3 Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, in the Quarterfinals.

Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, current ASP World No.4, continued his rampage at the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast today, advancing through to the Semifinals and continuing his flawless competitive run over the past two months. Collecting wins at Pipeline and Burleigh Heads, Burrow will look to keep the roll going into the business end of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast.

“I’m feeling pretty good and getting a good momentum,” Burrow said. “It’s a feeling like you’re getting on a roll, and I feel really good on my board. I just picked a new board and it feels great, it really feels like it’s coming together for me.”

Burrow will face Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, in the opening Semifinal bout when competition resumes.

Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, reigning two-time ASP World Champion, went down today in a hard-fought Round 4 against compatriot Kai Otton (AUS), 30. Otton was subsequently eliminated by Martinez in the Quarterfinals.

Running in conjunction with the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, the ASP Top 17 completed the opening four heats of Round 3 of the Roxy Pro Gold Coast.

Stephanie Gilmore (AUS), 22, reigning three-time ASP World Champion, and Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS), 19, current ASP World No. 5, dominated the mid-day action, with the youngster announcing herself as a legitimate ASP Women’s World Title contender.

“2010 - hopefully a good year for me,” Fitzgibbons said. “I want to be in that title race for sure!”

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 6:30am to assess conditions for a possible 8am start.

Highlights from the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover will be webcast available via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

From the Quarterfinals onward, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast will also be broadcast LIVE via ESPN in Brazil.

In honor of what could potentially be the final day of competition, ASP International is launching the desktop widget, bringing you LIVE scores, results, heat draws, etc. Access to the ASP Widget can be found on the ASP homepage.

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 4 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.86 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 14.50

Heat 2: Taj Burrow (AUS) 16.53 def. Chris Davidson (AUS) 10.60

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) 16.06 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 12.43

Heat 4: Kai Otton (AUS) 15.76 def. Mick Fanning (AUS) 15.57

Heat 5: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 15.44 def. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 14.23

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) 12.63 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 10.33

Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15.97 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 9.17

Heat 8: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 16.10 def. Kelly Slater (USA) 13.17

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND QUARTERFINAL RESULTS:

QF 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 17.70 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.40

QF 2: Bobby Martinez (USA) 16.66 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 10.64

QF 3: Dane Reynolds (USA) 19.20 def. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 17.47

QF 4: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.10 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 13.77

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST ROUND SEMIFINAL MATCH-UPS:

SF 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Bobby Martinez (USA)

SF 2: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST ROUND 3 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Coco Ho (HAW) 15.17 def. Amee Donohoe (AUS) 3.97

Heat 2: Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS) 16.33 def. Bruna Schmitz (BRA) 14.84

Heat 3: Rebecca Woods (AUS) 14.60 def. Paige Hareb (NZL) 11.08

Heat 4: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) 16.00 def. Tyler Wright (AUS) 14.03

ROXY PRO GOLD COAST REMAINING ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: März 05, 2010, 15:54:45 »

Roxy Pro Gold Coast

Taj Burrow Secures Trifecta with Win at Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast

Pictured: Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, has won the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast!

SNAPPER ROCKS, Queensland/Australia (Friday, March 5, 2010) – Taj Burrow (AUS), 31 has taken out the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover over Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, in rippable two-to-three foot (1 metre) waves at Snapper Rocks.

The opening event of then 2010 ASP World Tour season, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast started the year off with a bang, bringing the greatest assemblage of surfing talent in history to one of the most iconic pointbreaks in the world, and the world’s best surfers shattered high-performance barriers once again.

“I’m so so happy right now – it’s the best feeling on Earth!” Burrow said. “It’s unreal. I have a good group of friends with me and my parents are here supporting me. To have everyone cheering me on in the final is really really special.”

While the young South African led throughout the first half of the 40-minute Final, it was Burrow who changed the tide with a mid-heat assault, racking up several solid scores in larger set waves amidst the deteriorating conditions.

“I didn’t feel like I surfed my best in the Final,” Burrow said. “I kind of just did what it took to win. I just waited for the best waves, did a couple nice turns - nothing too wild. I’d rather have taken Jordy’s approach - catch lots of waves and just let loose. That’s kind of my strategy normally, but it worked fine. Being a bit more patient and selective than usual definitely paid off. But I knew Jordy could unleash and get the big score any moment.”

Burrow, who has secured victories in the previous two events entered (Pipeline in December and Burleigh Heads in February), has been in sensational form over the past three months, and will look to continue the momentum in 2010 as he hunts down his first ASP World Title.

“What can I say? I don’t know,” Burrow said. “I surprised myself really. Obviously, Pipe was the biggest event I could ever win. I was just overwhelmed. I felt like retiring after that event. I just couldn’t believe it, and didn’t think it could get any better. I guess I’ve taken the confidence from it and worked on some good boards. Burleigh Heads was a good warm-up. I felt good that there as well – there are fun little rights, and then here, I took a while to get rolling, but I just built up momentum. I felt great out there and here I am on the podium again - it just feels unbelievable.”

Smith, who went on a giant-killing spree at the event, eliminating former nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), 38, in yesterday’s Round 4 before posting the best result of his young career.

“It’s my first Final so I’m pretty stoked,” Smith said. “It’s unfortunate that the waves went kind of dead in our heat there, but we tried our best. It’s been a great event though and I’m looking forward to the next one.”

Long touted as one of the most dominant forces in the surfing world, Smith had yet to realize his potential in the competitive realm, but if this event’s performance is any indication, the powerful natural-footer is a near-certain threat for an ASP World Title.

“I just feel a lot more comfortable with myself this season,” Smith said. “I’m having a lot more fun with my surfing and everything seems to be coming together for me. I’m amped with a Runner-Up finish here and hope I can keep the momentum up for the rest of the season.”

Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, looked the form surfer of the event yesterday, defeating defending event winner Joel Parkinson (AUS), 28, with an impressive 19.20 out of a possible 20. However, the young Californian was unable to find a rhythm in today’s challenging conditions, bowing out of the event with an Equal 3rd at the hands of Smith.

“I felt pretty good yesterday and it felt like my equipment was finally working,” Reynolds said. “Even though the conditions weren’t as good today, I thought I could catch an average wave and surf it well enough to get a good score, but that didn’t happen. When the other guy gets a good roll going, it’s hard to come back – or it is for me anyway.”

With his penchant for churning out Earth-shattering performances and a good start to the year, several pundits are considering Reynolds as a legitimate ASP World Title contender, but the humble natural-footer has yet to commit such a goal.

“I’ve never been in this situation before so it’s hard for me to say (in regards to motivation for the ASP World Title),” Reynolds said. “When you’re a little kid, everyone always tells you that the ASP World Title is the goal, but there’s only one each season and 45 guys going for it. It hasn’t been a goal for me yet.”

Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, matched his best result on the Gold Coast today, collecting an Equal 3rd (his first in 2006), but the sole goofy-footer in today’s event was clearly upset about the deteriorated conditions.

“It’s disappointing to finish when it’s windy like this today,” Martinez said. “We all want to surf when it’s glassy, and I’m disappointed that we have to finish today. I did my best to mix it up out there, but it’s very challenging out there on your backhand today.”

Highlights from the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover can be found via www.quiksilverpro.com.au

For the first time in the events’ storied nine-year history, the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast was televised LIVE on FUEL TV in Australia, beaming the world’s best surfing right into your living room.

In honor of the final day of competition, ASP International is launching the desktop widget, bringing you LIVE scores, results, heat draws, etc. Access to the ASP Widget can be found on the ASP homepage.

The next stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour will be the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach from May 30 through April 10, 2010.

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST FINAL RESULTS:

1 – Taj Burrow (AUS) 15.57

2 – Jordy Smith (ZAF) 12.56

QUIKSILVER PRO GOLD COAST SEMIFINAL RESULTS:

SF 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 15.67 def. Bobby Martinez (USA) 13.00

SF 2: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 16.30 def. Dane Reynolds (USA) 8.96

ASP WORLD TOUR TOP 5 (After Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast):

1 – Taj Burrow (AUS) 10000 pts

2 – Jordy Smith (ZAF) 8000 pts

3 – Bobby Martinez (USA) 6500 pts

3 – Dane Reynolds (USA) 6500 pts