Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• März 28, 2024, 15:48:45
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: [ASP News] Sydney Eagerly Awaits The Return of the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing  (Gelesen 2161 mal)

Jens

• Administrator

Sydney Eagerly Awaits The Return of the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing

2012 Hurley Australian Open of Surfing Champion Matt Banting is ready to defend his title. Pic ASP/Dunbar

2012 Hurley Australian Open of Surfing Champion Matt Banting is ready to defend his title. Pic ASP/Dunbar

COOLANGATTA/QLD (Tuesday, 4th February, 2014) - After a one year hiatus, this weekend will see the return of one of the biggest sporting events in Sydney, the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing at Manly Beach. The event that won Event of the Year at the 2012 NSW Sports Federation Annual Awards is set to return, bigger and better than ever, and will feature men’s and women’s ASP 6-Star Qualifying Series divisions as well as men’s and women’s ASP Australasia Junior Qualifying Series divisions.

Matt Banting (Port Macquarie, NSW/AUS), who skyrocketed onto the world stage when he took out both the Pro Junior and men’s 6-Star divisions at the inaugural Hurley Australian Open of Surfing, is excited to return to Manly to defend his two titles.

“Not having the event on last year gave me another year to hold the title, which is pretty cool,” Banting said. “I’m really looking forward to returning to Manly, I’m going to do the 6-Star and the Pro Junior again, and I’m not putting pressure on myself but it would be great to win them again. The win in 2012 set me up to get into the ASP Prime events. I wasn’t expecting to get in those events that early in my career, but it’s been really good for my surfing. It’s great to have an event like this is Sydney, my favourite event is the US Open, and this is just the Australian version. The crowd get into it and there’s a great mix of local and international talent.”

Julian Wilson (Sunshine Coast, QLD/AUS), No. 6 on last year’s ASP World Championship Tour and Hurley Australian Open of Surfing No. 1 seed is looking forward to starting his 2014 competitive season at next week’s event.

“I’m excited to put on a singlet and get the year started at the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing,” Wilson said. “It’s going to be a fantastic event with all the entertainment right on the beach as well as the surfing action. It’ll be a really fun week and let’s hope we get a little swell!”

Martin Jolly, Senior Vice President Managing Director, Australia and New Zealand IMG, is thrilled to see the return of this iconic event that perfectly combines surfing, skating and music.

“We are very pleased to be working with the NSW Government to bring the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing back to Manly,” Jolly said. “This world-class, internationally recognised event will deliver one of the best youth culture festivals in Australia, as the worlds of music, surf and skateboarding unite for this mammoth nine-day event which kicks off this Saturday.”

Dane Jordan, ASP Australasia General Manager is thankful to Hurley, IMG, Destination NSW and Manly Council for all their hard work behind the scenes to get the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing back on the international surfing calendar.

“On behalf of ASP and surf fans in Sydney and around the globe, I’d like to thank Hurley, IMG, Destination NSW and Manly Council for all the hard work that’s gone into the 2014 Hurley Australian Open of Surfing,” Jordan said. “Manly has deep roots in Australian professional surfing and Sydney is our biggest city, when you combine this with the fun festival vibe of the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing it’s really an event you don’t want to miss.”

The Hurley Australian Open of Surfing will also feature Alejo Muniz (BRA), Ezekiel Lau (HAW) Aritz Aranburu (EUK), Carissa Moore (HAW), Tyler Wright (AUS), Pauline Ado (FRA), Bianca Buitendag (ZAF) and many more of the world’s best surfers.

For more event information log on to www.AustralianOpenofSurfing.com

About Hurley Australian Open of Surfing 2014

The Hurley Australian Open of Surfing 2014 is a nine-day event (Feb 8th-16th) which will showcase the world’s best surfers, skateboarders, music and art at iconic Manly Beach, Sydney. Owned and produced by IMG Australia, the global youth and sporting event is expected to attract an audience of in excess of 175,000 people.

Inspired by the US Open of Surfing held in Huntington Beach, California, the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing boasts a line up of the top-rated 6-star men’s and women’s ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals) World Qualifying Tour surf talent, men’s and women’s world junior star-athletes, and a world-class line-up of skateboarding talent.

The Channel [V] stage is back again this year also for two epic days of live music headlined by Aussie talents Birds of Tokyo and supported by ARIA urban award winner Illy, chart-topper The Presets and Melbournian rock outfit Delta Riggs.

Title Sponsor Hurley are joined this year by partners Nike SB and the NSW Government, through its tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW, and supported by Manly Council

Source: Sydney Eagerly Awaits The Return of the Hurley Australian Open of Surfing