Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 03, 2024, 00:48:01
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Billabong Pro Mundaka 2008  (Gelesen 9662 mal)

Börni

• Börni "Moses"
  • Global Moderator
  • If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
    • Nordsurf-Syndikat
Billabong Pro Mundaka 2008
« am: September 29, 2008, 21:05:27 »

N' Interessantes Interview bezüglich der Beliebheit von Mundaka als WCT Contest bei den Pro Surfern und den Veränderungen, welche man anstrebt um den Contest Interessanter und bei besseren Wellen durchzuführen findet ihr hier:http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/why-this-years-billabong-pro-mundaka-will-be-better-than-last-years-changing-spain_18923/ Außerdem beachtenswert, der ökonomische Einfluss des Contests (siehe Artikel unten).

Jens

• Administrator
Re: Billabong Pro Mundaka 2008
« Antwort #1 am: September 29, 2008, 22:36:26 »

und hier gehts los mit den aktuellen Pressemitteilungen:

Billabong Pro Mundaka

Stop No. 9 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour

Mundaka, Euskadi/Spain

September 29-October 12, 2008

No Billabong Pro Mundaka Today; 8am Call at Sopelena Tomorrow

Photo: Portugal's Tiago Pires (left) and the Basque Country's Aritz Aranburu (right).

MUNDAKA, Basque Country/Spain (Monday, Sept. 29, 2008) – The Billabong Pro Mundaka waiting period began today, but after assessing conditions at the main event site in Mundaka and the back-up venue of Sopelana until 11:30am, the contest was called off for the day.

The Billabong Pro Mundaka, the ninth of 11 events on the 2008 ASP World Tour, boasts a two-week waiting period and a new back-up venue – Sopelana. Mundaka is a world-class wave when it is working, but because it requires a significant swell and suitable tides to break, it can be difficult to run four full day’s worth of surfing there.

“Billabong and the ASP are confident that this year’s back-up venue of Sopelena will offer contestable conditions for the ASP World Tour surfers should we need it,” Billabong Europe Brand Manager Reid Pinder said. “Forecasts for Mundaka look promising, but because Sopelana picks up more swell, we should be able to run the early rounds of the event there over the next couple of days which gives us more time to put the final rounds out at Mundaka when it’s firing.”

Aritz Aranburu, who hails from the Basque Country of Spain, became the first surfer from the region to earn a spot on the ASP World Tour when he qualified for the 2008 season last year. The 22-year-old rookie is hopeful he will be able to put in a good performance at the Billabong Pro Mundaka.

“I am excited to surf here in the Basque Country and hope I can represent Basque surfers well,” Aranburu said. “I am still not surfing at 100%, but I will do my best.”

Aranburu has been forced out of four of eight events this year after injuring his ankle before the season opener on the Gold Coast of Australia. Currently rated 44th, he will need big results in the last three events of the year or an injury wildcard to secure his spot on the 2009 ASP World Tour.

Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) has withdrawn from the event due to a groin injury. Neco Padaratz (BRA) and Dean Morrison (AUS) will miss another contest courtesy of their ailments and Bruce and Andy Irons (HAW) have pulled out of the Billabong Pro for personal reasons.

The ASP World Tour surfers who have pulled out will be replaced by Nic Muscroft (AUS), Manoa Drollet (PYF), Gabe Kling (USA), Tim Boal (FRA) and Reubyn Ash (GBR).

Former ASP World Champion Mark Occhilupo (AUS), Marco San Segundo (EUK) and Hodei Collazo (EUK) are the event wildcards.

Another call on competition status will be made at Sopelena tomorrow at 8am local time.

Billabong Pro Mundaka Round 1 Heat Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Kai Otton (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 2: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Mick Campbell (AUS), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 3: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Nic Muscroft (AUS)

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Roy Powers (HAW), Manoa Drollet (PYF)

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA), Ben Dunn (AUS), Gabe Kling (USA)

Heat 6: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Tim Boal (FRA)

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Tim Reyes (USA), Mark Occhilupo (AUS)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA), Taylor Knox (USA), Reubyn Ash (GBR)

Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS), Damien Hobgood (USA), Marco San Segundo (EUK)*

Heat 10: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Tom Whitaker (AUS), Hodei Collazo (EUK)*

Heat 11: Luke Stedman (AUS), Jay Thompson (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 12: Chris Ward (USA), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 13: Dayyan Neve (AUS), Mikael Picon (FRA), Leonardo Neves (BRA)

Heat 14: Dane Reynolds (USA), Tiago Pires (PRT), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 15: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Daniel Wills (AUS), Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 16: Kieren Perrow (AUS), Royden Bryson (ZAF), Luke Munro (AUS)

*(EUK) is the abbreviation for Euskadi – the Basque region of Spain.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: September 29, 2008, 23:03:03 »

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: September 30, 2008, 08:45:23 »

Billabong Pro Mundaka

Mundaka, Euskadi/Spain

No Go on Round 1 of the Billabong Pro Mundaka Today

Photo: A panoramic expression of Mundaka Harbor - the winner will be tossed off the wall.

MUNDAKA, Basque Country/Spain (Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2008) – Contest officials made the 45 minute drive to assess conditions at the back-up site of Sopelana this morning but ultimately decided to call ASP World Tour competition off for the day.

According to Surfline, the official forecaster of the Billabong Pro Mundaka, the Basque region of Spain should pick up building swell throughout the afternoon and conditions will likely be contestable tomorrow.

When Round 1 does commence, local surfer Aritz Aranburu (EUK) will go up against Kai Otton (AUS) and Heitor Alves (BRA) in the first heat of the event. A call on competition status will be made at 8am at Sopelana tomorrow.

For more info visit: www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com.

Tom

• Global Moderator
« Antwort #4 am: Oktober 01, 2008, 16:13:10 »

Wellen sehen nach Nordsee aus. Contest site ist Sopelana.
round 1:
Euros schlagen sich ganz gut, Eneko Acero, Mikael Picon und Tiago Pires sind durch.
Hoffe, dass wir da bald classic Mundaka sehen.

Börni

• Börni "Moses"
  • Global Moderator
    • Nordsurf-Syndikat
« Antwort #5 am: Oktober 01, 2008, 16:25:57 »

Ich denke schon. Vorhersage und Waitingperiod sprechen dafür... Hoffe meine "Fantasysurfer" Barrelmeister kommen durch die ersten Heats in Sopelana... ::)

Börni

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: Oktober 01, 2008, 17:49:58 »

Mein Team hat heute auch mal wieder ordentlich gelitten in Slop@Lana

Kelly Slater braucht nur noch 1 Runde weiter kommen für No 9

Billabong Pro Mundaka

Mundaka, Euskadi/Spain

Slater One Heat Away from Nine – Round 1 of the Billabong Pro Mundaka a Wrap

Photo: Slater airs his way to a Round 1 win and is one step closer to ASP World Title No. 9.

MUNDAKA, Basque Country/Spain (Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2008) – Kelly Slater (USA) needs to finish ninth or better in the ninth of event of the year to win his ninth ASP World Title. He’s one heat away from doing so after scoring a 9.00 and a 7.33 to win his Round 1 heat at the Billabong Pro Mundaka back-up venue of Sopelana today.

Slater’s 16.33 heat total was the second highest of the day; easily trumping the single digit totals of his opponents Taylor Knox (USA) and replacement surfer Reubyn Ash (GBR). He advances straight to Round 3 with the result.

“Where I surfed, the waves were better,” Slater said. “I had more options. I couldn’t really hear the scores, but once I did I could tell that Taylor was kind of struggling. Then I found a right with a nice open face and a big air section and that was my 9.00.”

Slater came extremely close to clinching the 2008 ASP World Title in France last week. In doing so, he would have secured his 40th ASP World Tour win at the same place he won his first—in Hossegor. It would have also been the earliest he, or anyone else, had ever won a world title.

Just one good-scoring wave away from overtaking Adrian Buchan (AUS) in their French final bout, Slater came up short and had to settle for second place and a trip to Spain. Being so close to the inevitable is taking its toll on the eight-time ASP World Champion.

“I hadn’t really thought about it that much until I was out there in the water but I don’t want to deal with the emotions of worrying about it anymore,” Slater said. “I just want to try to win one more heat and get it done.”

There is only one scenario that stands in the way of Slater clinching in Spain – him failing to advance from Round 3 and World No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS) subsequently winning the event.

While Slater seems squarely focused on the next heat, Burrow has his eyes on the Billabong Pro Mundaka title. Burrow top-scored today with a 16.34 heat total.

“I just want to win an event and this one would be great,” Burrow said. “It seems like there is a lack of motivation from everyone on tour, people are going home, they’re over it – it just feels like it is over with Kelly wrapping up the title. I’m just trying to capitalize on that and win these things.”

Two-time defending Billabong Pro Mundaka champion Bobby Martinez (USA) is also looking to capitalize on the low morale to strengthen his position in the Top 10 and go for his third consecutive Mundaka crown. He beat Ben Dunn (AUS) and wildcard Mark Occhilupo (AUS) in Round 1 today.

“For me it’s different,” Martinez said. “I am still pretty new to this tour – I am not going to give up, I’m not going to quit just because Kelly is going to win the title. I still want to do my best. People where I come from don’t get the opportunity to do this kind of stuff and I have so I’m going to take it and run with it as far as I can. As much as people are over it after watching Kelly win all the time, I look at it like there are kids where I come from who have nothing and this is something big for me.”

Replacement surfers Eneko Acero (EUK) and Nic Muscroft (AUS) advanced from their Round 1 heats today. Acero, who was only invited to participate in the event last night when another replacement surfer had to withdraw, sent World No. 4 Adriano de Souza (BRA) and high profile rookie Jordy Smith (ZAF) to Round 2. Muscroft beat Pancho Sullivan (HAW) and the winner of the last event, Adrian Buchan (AUS).

Muscroft, who is the first alternate ASP replacement surfer after narrowly missing full-time ASP World Tour qualification last year, has competed in six events this year. His convincing heat win over Buchan and Sullivan today is his first ASP World Tour heat win this year.

“That’s surfing for you, anyone can win the heat,” Muscroft said. “It’s so even so that’s why I’ve thought all year that I’ve been in with a chance. I’ve had some good heats, I’ve just been unlucky here and there, so it feels good to get through one finally. I’ll just take this year as experience. It’s been tough because I haven’t been at every event so maintaining focus is hard, but hopefully I get a crack again next year.”

Muscroft is currently rated 24th on the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) – the top 15 surfers on that series qualify for the ASP World Tour at year’s end.

Brazilians Heitor Alves and Jihad Kohdr advanced straight to Round 3 today. Kohdr, who is rated World No. 41 at the moment, must make a huge leap on the ratings to requalify via the ASP World Tour.

“I’m so stoked,” Kohdr said. “It’s hard to make a heat when you’re one of the last guys on the ratings. I’m so happy to take the win. It looks like a Brazilian beach break. There’s a lot of paddling, a lot of waves and a lot of white water.”

France’s Miky Picon and Portugal’s Tiago Pires will join Acero as Europeans avoiding Round 2. Australians Mick Campbell, Tom Whitaker, Dan Ross, Daniel Wills and Kieren Perrow are also into Round 3.

For more info visit: www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com.

Billabong Pro Mundaka Round 1 Heat Results:

Heat 1: Heitor Alves (BRA) 12.70, Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 10.83, Kai Otton (AUS) 9.00

Heat 2: Mick Campbell (AUS) 13.17, Jeremy Flores (FRA) 10.93, Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 8.37

Heat 3: Nic Muscroft (AUS) 16.00, Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 12.00, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 10.00

Heat 4: Roy Powers (HAW) 10.00, C.J. Hobgood (USA) 8.93, Manoa Drollet (PYF) 5.03

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA) 14.84, Ben Dunn (AUS) 14.00, Mark Occhilupo (AUS) 8.50

Heat 6: Eneko Acero (EUK) 13.16, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 11.27, Jordy Smith (ZAF) 10.93

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 15.60, Tim Reyes (USA) 10.66, Hodei Collazo (EUK) 5.33

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) 16.33, Taylor Knox (USA) 6.16, Reubyn Ash (GBR) 3.50

Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS) 16.34, Damien Hobgood (USA) 13.00, Marco San Segundo (EUK) 11.27

Heat 10: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 15.00, Txaber Trojaola (EUK) 12.50, Bede Durbidge (AUS) 6.43

Heat 11: Daniel Ross (AUS) 15.00, Luke Stedman (AUS) 14.17, Jay Thompson (AUS) 8.00

Heat 12: Jihad Khodr (BRA) 12.56, Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 11.94, Chris Ward (USA) 10.76

Heat 13: Mikael Picon (FRA) 15.00, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 14.34, Dayyan Neve (AUS) 13.67

Heat 14: Tiago Pires (PRT) 12.67, Dane Reynolds (USA) 12.40, Travis Logie (ZAF) 5.87

Heat 15: Daniel Wills (AUS) 14.83, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 10.00, Ben Bourgeois (USA) 6.60

Heat 16: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 11.00, Luke Munro (AUS) 8.23, Royden Bryson(ZAF) 7.10

Billabong Pro Mundaka Round 2 Heat Match-ups:
Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Reubyn Ash (GBR)
Heat 2: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Marco San Segundo (EUK)
Heat 3: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Txaber Trojaola (EUK)
Heat 4: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Hodei Collazo (EUK)
Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Mark Occhilupo (AUS)
Heat 6: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Manoa Drollet (PYF)
Heat 7: Luke Stedman (AUS) vs. Ricky Basnett (ZAF)
Heat 8: Chris Ward (USA) vs. Aritz Aranburu (EUK)
Heat 9: Dayyan Neve (AUS) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)
Heat 10: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)
Heat 11: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)
Heat 12: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)
Heat 13: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)
Heat 14: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)
Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)
Heat 16: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Pancho Sullivan (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: Oktober 02, 2008, 10:34:04 »

Billabong Pro Mundaka

Mundaka, Euskadi/Spain

Billabong Pro Mundaka on at Mundaka – Dual Heats Underway

Photo: ASP Head Judge Perry Hatchett explains the Dual Heat format to rookies and staff.

MUNDAKA, Basque Country/Spain (Thursday, Oct. 2, 2008) – Round 2 of the Billabong Pro Mundaka commenced at 9:30am in four to five foot (1 metre plus) waves at Mundaka. Event organizers and the ASP have opted to use the Dual Heat format today. Heats will be 40 minutes long.

First used in ASP World Tour competition at the Pipeline Masters in Hawaii last year, the ‘Dual Heat’ format features two heats run concurrently to maximize conditions on offer for the surfers and action in the water for the fans. The basic premise of the format is that heats overlap each other, allowing more heats to be run in less time without compromising the duration of the heats. Because Mundaka is a heavily tide-affected wave, the Billabong Pro Mundaka is a perfect place to use the format.

Once the first heat has hit the water, each subsequent heat will begin halfway through the heat that preceded it. Priority allocation (the right of way given to a surfer on a wave) will come into play the second half of each heat and two separate judging panels, each presided over by a separate head judge, will be on-hand to judge their allotted heats respectively.

Contest director Mike Parsons has said that we will wrap up Round 2 at approximately 3:10pm and will run as many heats of Round 3 as conditions allow. It is highly unlikely that we will make it to Heat 8 of Round 3 featuring ASP ratings leader Kelly Slater (USA) though. If Slater wins that Round 3 heat, he wins his ninth ASP World Title.

It’s all LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com.

Billabong Pro Mundaka Round 2 Heat Match-ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Reubyn Ash (GBR)

Heat 2: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Marco San Segundo (EUK)

Heat 3: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Txaber Trojaola (EUK)

Heat 4: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Hodei Collazo (EUK)

Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Mark Occhilupo (AUS)

Heat 6: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Manoa Drollet (PYF)

Heat 7: Luke Stedman (AUS) vs. Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 8: Chris Ward (USA) vs. Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 9: Dayyan Neve (AUS) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)

Heat 10: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 11: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 12: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)

Heat 13: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 14: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 16: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Pancho Sullivan (HAW)

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #8 am: Oktober 02, 2008, 11:49:20 »

geil Kelly ist schön sein Quad gesurft

Börni

• Börni "Moses"
  • Global Moderator
    • Nordsurf-Syndikat
« Antwort #9 am: Oktober 02, 2008, 15:27:56 »

Und bei mir sind schon drei Leute rausgeflogen... Hoffentlich habe ich in Runde 3 mehr Glück!

Börni ;D ;D ;D

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #10 am: Oktober 02, 2008, 16:42:46 »

Nur 1 Verlust in Runde 2,
aber schon 2 raus in Runde 3  >:(

Parko bereits in Rd4  ;D

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #11 am: Oktober 02, 2008, 16:46:27 »

Ahhrg, doch 2 Leute verloren in Rd2 Dayan Neve ist auch raus

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #12 am: Oktober 02, 2008, 23:07:39 »

Billabong Pro Mundaka geht am zweiten Wettkampftag in die dritte Runde und Kelly Slater kann am morgigen Freitag seinen neunten Weltmeistertitel gewinnen

Photo: 10 Punkte für Royden Bryson mit dieser Wahnsinns-Barrel

Mundaka, 02.10.2008

Mundaka, das kleine baskische Fischerdorf an der Mündung des Oka, präsentierte sich am Donnerstag morgen regnerisch und kalt. Die Wellenvorhersage war sehr akkurat und so brachen 1,5m bis 2m Wellen über der Sandbank von Mundaka. Mit dem einsetzenden Niedrigwasser verbesserten sich die Bedingungen im Verlauf des Tages weiter und die komplette zweite Runde sowie die ersten vier Heats der dritten Runde konnte abgeschlossen werden.

Aufgrund des kurzen Zeitfensters in dem die Gezeiten ideale Bedingungen in Mundaka erlauben, haben Headjudge Perry Hatchet und Contest Director Mike Parsons sich am heutigen Tag für das „Dual Heat“ Format entschieden. In diesem relativ neuen Format starten die beiden Surfer aus dem ersten Heat, und sie haben 20 Minuten das Line Up für sich alleine. Dann kommen die Surfer des zweiten Heats dazu und zu viert teilen sie sich nun das Line Up für weitere 20 Minuten. Vorrang auf eine Welle haben in dieser Phase die Surfer aus Heat 1. Nach insgesamt 40 Minuten geht der erste Heat aus dem Wasser und der dritte Heat teilt sich mit dem zweiten das Line Up. Auf diese Weise können die Organisatoren mehr Heats in kürzerer Zeit unterbringen und die Zuschauer bekommen mehr Action auf dem Wasser zu sehen.

In der zweiten Runde trafen die Verlierer (zweit- und drittplatzierte Surfer) der ersten Runde aufeinander. Der Gewinner jedes Aufeinandertreffens rückt in die dritte Runde vor, während der Verlier aus dem Wettbewerb ausscheidet.

Zwei Surfer-Generationen trafen so heute in Mundaka aufeinander. Der 42-jaehrige Mark Occhilupo (AUS), der als Wildcard an dem Contest teilnimmt, gegen den Franzosen Jeremy Flores (20 Jahre). Flores konnte sich mit 12,17 Punkten gegen Occy (3,30 Punkte) behaupten und trifft nun in der dritten Runde auf Tiago Pires (PRT). „Gegen Occy zu surfen ist immer etwas Besonderes. Es war klar, dass es nicht leicht werden würde, aber dass es am Ende so deutlich für mich ausgeht, war schon überraschend“, sagte Jeremy Flores. 

Für die anderen Wildcards Reubyn Ash (GBR), Marco San Segundo (EUK), Hodei Collazo (EUK) und Manoa Drollet (PYF) war der Contest heute beendet, da sie ihre Heats in der zweiten Runde nicht gewinnen konnten.

Der Baske Aritz Aranburu konnte sich hingegen seinen Platz in der dritten Runde sichern. 12,36 Punkte des Amerikaners Chris Ward waren nicht ausreichend, um gegen den Lokalmatadoren (13,50 Punkte) zu bestehen. „Leider hatte ich einen Grossteil der Saison mit einer Verletzung zu kämpfen, aber ich bin sehr froh, dass ich rechtzeitig für diesen Contest vor meiner Haustuer wieder fit bin“, sagte Aranburu nach seinem Heat. „Dieser Event ist für mich sehr wichtig, da meine Familie und  Freunde hier sind und ich meine Heimat repräsentieren kann. Es ist sehr schwer die richtigen Wellen zu wählen, denn es ist sehr unruhig dort draußen, aber mit der einsetzenden Flut sollte sich das Meer wieder beruhigen und für cleanere Bedingungen sorgen.“

Der Südafrikaner Royden Bryson nutze die sich bessernden Bedingungen um die Mittagszeit perfekt aus und konnte sich mit dem höchsten Heat-Score der gesamten zweiten Runde (19,37 Punkte) gegen Damien Hobgoods (USA) 17,26 Punkte durchsetzen. Zwei Tuberides und einige weitere radikale Top- und Buttomturns auf einer der besten Wellen des Tages honorierten die Judges mit der maximalen Ausbeute von 10 Punkten. Eine zweite gute Welle kurz zuvor hatte Bryson bereits 9,37 Punkte eingebracht.

In den ersten vier Heats der dritten Runde, die Contest Director Mike Parsons am späten Nachmittag noch aufs Wasser schickte, konnten sich Adriano de Souza (BRA), Mick Campbell (AUS), Fred Patacchia (HAW) und Joel Parkinson (AUS) ihr Ticket in die vierte Runde sichern. 

De Souza musste sich am Vormittag zunächst in der zweiten Runde gegen Marco San Segundo behaupten und untermauerte mit seinem zweiten Erfolg am heutigen Donnerstag seine gute Position in der Gesamtwertung der WCT (aktuell 4. Platz) und damit seine Ambitionen sich dauerhaft unter den Top 5 zu etablieren.

Der Australier Mick Campbell kämpft hingegen in den verbleibenden drei Events der Saison um die erneute Qualifikation für die WCT in der kommenden Saison. Momentan ist er auf dem 31. Platz und mit jeder weiteren Runde, die er erreicht, verbessert er seine Chance auch 2009 auf der Tour starten zu dürfen. Sein Erfolg über Dane Reynolds war für Campbell somit heute ein wichtiger Schritt in diese Richtung.

Fred Patacchia aus Hawaii konnte sich gegen seinen Landsmann Roy Powers in der dritten Runde ebenfalls durchsetzen. Erst mit seiner vorletzten Welle sicherte sich Patacchia mit 7,43 Punkten das nötige Ergebnis (13,60 Punkte), um Powers zu besiegen. Für Powers bedeutet das Aus hier in Mundaka einen Rückschlag für seine Ambitionen die Qualifikation für das kommende Jahr frühzeitig zu sichern.

Im letzten Heat des Tages besiegte Joel Parkinson (13,17 Punkte) seinen australischen Landsmann Daniel Ross (9,60 Punkte). Ross konnte mit zwei ordentlichen Wellen zu Beginn des Heats in Führung gehen. Im weiteren Verlauf hatte der 25-jährige dann aber keine Gelegenheit seine zwei besten Wavescores zu verbessern und so war es an Parko mit einer Welle gegen Ende des Heats und den daraus resultierenden 7,17 Punkten (erste Welle 6,00 Punkte) den Sieg für sich zu verbuchen.   

Vorausgesetzt die Organisatoren entscheiden den Wettkampf am Freitag fortzusetzen, hat der Amerikaner Kelly Slater im achten Heat der dritten Runde die Chance sich mit einem Sieg gegen Eneko Acero (EUK) seinen neunten Weltmeistertitel zu sichern. Nach fünf Siegen aus bisher acht Veranstaltungen der WCT in dieser Saison hat Slater einen großen Punktevorsprung in der Gesamtwertung und kann sich so den Titel bereits vorzeitig hier in Mundaka sichern.

Acero ist neben Aritz Aranburu der zweite baskische Surfer in der dritten Runde des Billabong Pro Mundaka. Für Acero ist es das zweite Aufeinandertreffen mit Kelly Slater. Vor 12 Jahren trafen die beiden schon einmal in Frankreich in einem Heat aufeinander. „Bis vor zwei Tagen wusste ich nicht einmal, dass ich an diesem Contest teilnehmen würde und jetzt geht es gegen Kelly Slater in einem so entscheidenden Heat“, sagte Acero. „Das ist ein tolles Erlebnis für mich, und ich werde mein Bestes geben!“ 

Die Wellenprognose für den morgigen Freitag ist weiter sehr gut. Der Swell soll stabil bleiben und wird ähnliche Bedingungen wie am heutigen Donnerstag liefern. Nach den 20 Heats von heute sind noch knapp eineinhalb weitere Wettkampftage notwendig, um den Sieger des Billabong Pro Mundaka 2008 zu ermitteln. Vermutlich wird auch morgen im Dual Heat Format gesurft.   

Die erste Entscheidung über die Fortsetzung des Contests wird am morgigen Freitag um 8.30Uhr in Mundaka getroffen.

Der Billabong Pro Mundaka wird ermöglicht durch die freundliche Unterstützung von Euskaltel, Kustom, Von Zipper, Nixon, Yamaha und Cobra Jetskis sowie insbesondere durch die Gemeinden von Mundaka und Sopelana und ihren jeweiligen Surfclubs.

Weitere Informationen und der tägliche Live-Webcast vom Billabong Pro Mundaka zusammen mit vielen Hintergrundberichten in Wort und Bild können auf www.billabongpro.com jederzeit abgerufen werden.
Zusätzliche Details zur ASP Tour, den Surfern und den offiziellen Regularien stehen auf www.aspworldtour.com bereit.

Akkreditierungsformulare können via michael.kahl@billabong.tm.fr angefordert werden. Wir freuen uns auf Ihre Nachricht.

Billabong Pro Mundaka Ergebnisse der 2. Runde

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 15,00 def. Reubyn Ash (GBR) 6,93
Heat 2: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 12,83 def. Marco San Segundo (EUK) 9,27
Heat 3: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 12,67 def. Txaber Trojaola (EUK) 11,50
Heat 4: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 12,83 def. Hodei Collazo (EUK) 7,83
Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 12,17 def. Mark Occhilupo (AUS) 3,30
Heat 6: Kai Otton (AUS) 9,97 def. Manoa Drollet (PYF) 5,97
Heat 7: Luke Stedman (AUS) 8,84 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 6,33
Heat 8: Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 13,50 def. Chris Ward (USA) 12,36
Heat 9: Leonardo Neves (BRA) 11,50 def. Dayyan Neve (AUS) 10,17
Heat 10: Dane Reynolds (USA) 13,60 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 9,26
Heat 11: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 16,83 def. Ben Bourgeois (USA) 9,74
Heat 12: Taylor Knox (USA) 12,93 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 7,16
Heat 13: Royden Bryson (ZAF) 19,37 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 17,26
Heat 14: Tim Reyes (USA) 13,00 def. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 11,53
Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17,90 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 9,33
Heat 16: Ben Dunn (AUS) 15,50 vs. Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 13,60

Billabong Pro Mundaka Ergebnisse der 3. Runde

Heat 1: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14,00 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 11,33
Heat 2: Mick Campbell (AUS) 13,17 def. Dane Reynolds (USA) 12,03
Heat 3: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 13,60 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 12,34
Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13,17 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 9,60

Billabong Pro Mundaka ausstehende Heats der 3. Runde

Heat 5: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Daniel Wills (AUS)
Heat 6: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)
Heat 7:  Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Tim Reyes (USA)
Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Eneko Acero (EUK)
Heat 9: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Nic Mushcroft (AUS)
Heat 10: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)
Heat 11: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)
Heat 12: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)
Heat 13: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Aritz Aranburu (EUK)
Heat 14: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Benn Dunn (AUS)
Heat 15: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)
Heat 16: Luke Stedman (AUS) vs. Heitor Alves (BRA)