Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• April 28, 2024, 00:49:05
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: ASP World Tour Stop 4/11 Cloudbreak/Restaurants, Tavarua/Namotu, Fiji  (Gelesen 17441 mal)

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji

Stop No. 4 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour

Cloudbreak/Restaurants, Tavarua/Namotu, Fiji

May 24–June 6, 2008

Globe Pro Fiji to Kick Off in Flawless Restaurants at 8am

Photo: The view from the Tavarua restaurant - hence the name of the break.

TAVARUA, Fiji (Sunday, May 25, 2008) – Round 1 of the Globe Pro Fiji will start at 8am in perfect conditions at Restaurants this morning. Today is the first official day of a 13-day waiting period for the fourth of 11 events on the ASP World Tour.

“Conditions at Restaurants are a flawless six foot this morning,” Contest Director Steve Robertson said. “It’s a dream start for what is lining up to be an amazing event back in Fiji.”

Event officials have made a call to run all 16 heats of Round 1 and put the first four heats of Round 2 on standby.

“The afternoon should be as good as it ever gets so we are not going to stop until we have to,” Robertson said.

Adrian Buchan (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF) and Royden Bryson (ZAF) will surf the first heat of the day.

A LIVE webcast of the Globe Pro Fiji will be available on www.aspworldtour.com and www.globeprofiji.com.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 1 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA), Luke Munro (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 3: Kai Otton (AUS), Ben Dunn (AUS), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 4: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Damien Hobgood (USA), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW), Neco Padaratz (BRA), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 6: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Bruce Irons (HAW), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 7: Taj Burrow (AUS), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA), Taylor Knox (USA), Isei Tokoea (FIJ)

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS), Tim Reyes (USA), Mark Occhilupo (AUS)

Heat 10: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Yadin Nicol (AUS)

Heat 11: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Jay Thompson (AUS), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 12: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Roy Powers (HAW), Chris Ward (USA)

Heat 13: Dean Morrison (AUS), Mikael Picon (FRA), Heitor Alves (BRA)

Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 15: Dane Reynolds (USA), Daniel Wills (AUS), Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Heat 16: Tom Whitaker (AUS), Ben Bourgeois (USA), Michael Campbell (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator

Läuft bei euch der blöde Livestream  ???

Tiago Pieres hat übrigens grade seinen Heat gegen Bobby Martinez und Luke Munro gewonnen  ;D

Jens

• Administrator

The Dream Tour Delivers on Day 1 of the Globe Pro Fiji

Photo: Kelly Slater surfed a near perfect heat in Round 1 of the Globe Pro Fiji.

TAVARUA, Fiji (Sunday, May 25, 2008) – Put eight-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) in perfect six-foot (two metre) waves at Restaurants and a performance of ‘Dream Tour’ proportions is inevitable. The current World No. 1 wowed in Round 1 of the Globe Pro Fiji today, earning 19.73 out of 20.00 points for his efforts.

“I had a really good heat,” Slater said.”I saw the forecast and have been excited for the last week so I was preparing myself for the moment I just had out there. The waves do all the work out here though, all you have to do is catch them and they tell you what to do as you go along.”

Slater’s top two scoring rides were a perfect 10.00 and a 9.73 – he threw away a 9.00, 9.67 and 7.83. His competitors Taylor Knox (USA) and Isei Tokovou (FIJ) never had a chance.

“I wanted to get a quick start because it was kind of slow in the heats before mine so I started off with a 7.8,” Slater said. “That wasn’t a bad score for what was out there earlier, but set after set just kept getting better and better. One set had eight waves in it. There was definitely no shortage of waves and no hassling so it was a special heat, you don’t get too many heats like that on tour.”

The win was a welcome one after finishing a disappointing 17th in Tahiti last week. Slater lost to wildcard and eventual finalist Manoa Drollet (TAH) in that event after making an uncharacteristic priority mistake in his heat.

“Getting an interference is no fun way to lose,” Slater said. “It’s a frustrating way to go out in a contest so that win felt good, it was a little redemption and gets my confidence up.  If you are in that place where you can go for a title shot, getting a throwaway sucks at any event but doing it in one of the first few events is pretty frustrating because you don’t have room to move later on. I’m not going to worry about that too much right now though, it’s a long season.”

Slater won the first two events of the 2008 ASP World Tour, positioning him strongly in his campaign for a ninth ASP Crown – there are still seven events after the Globe Pro Fiji.

“There are guys who have won two contests in a season and lost the title,” Slater said. “It’s happened multiple times, it happens almost every year. So I’m just going to have fun, the waves are here, so it’s going to be a good week.”

Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) shared Slater’s sentiments after advancing through his heat today. Fanning finished equal 33rd, last place, in Tahiti but earned the second highest heat total of the day (18.00 out of 20.00) to advance over Tim Reyes (USA) and 1999 ASP World Champion and Globe Pro Fiji wildcard Mark Occhilupo (AUS) today.

“That win was redeeming,” Fanning said. “Tahiti was pretty disappointing but I got to go home and have 10 days there. I had a lot of fun in my heat out there today, the waves were perfect, so it is hard not to have fun. It’s always hard in these waves though, you either make them or you don’t. Timmy got two that if he would have made would have been perfect 10s for sure – he was just unlucky to get clipped right at the end.”

Fanning sat atop the ASP ratings for the entirety of the 2007 season but is now rated 5th.

“I went home and I realized I wasn’t really enjoying my competitions so I just went, ‘Aw stuff it, I’m going to just have fun, whatever happens happens,’ and it’s been really fun,” Fanning said. “I had a good heat to start off with doing it that way so I’m going to keep going like that.”

Fanning, who was married a couple of months ago, was the first Australian to win an ASP World Title since 1999.

“Last year it took a lot to win the World Title, I put a lot of focus on it,” Fanning said. “This year it’s not everything anymore, I have a family now, so I’m just enjoying life and enjoying my time on tour.”

Three-time ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) also returned to form today. Irons arrived in Fiji just this morning, but still managed a comfortable heat win over Neco Padaratz (BRA) and Ricky Basnett (ZAF).

“I felt pretty good for having just flown a red-eye and only getting four hours of sleep last night,” Irons said. “I’ve done it before and I think that these are the kind of conditions I love the most so if there was ever a time to do it this was the time. I was able to go out there, feel pretty calm and surf a couple good waves. I didn’t make a couple good waves which was frustrating, but once I got in a little rhythm there, I got a nice one in the end and pulled it.”

His ‘nice one in the end’ was awarded a 9.73 out of 10.00 possible points.

“I got a nice big barrel,” Irons said. “I tried to ride it smartly and stay in the pocket. I did some really soft turns, got one really good turn and then fell right after it, so I think I got a length of ride score, but I’ll take it.”

ASP World No. 2 Joel Parkinson (AUS) was almost a little disappointed he won’t be surfing Round 2 – almost.

“It’s good to avoid Round 2 and avoid the stress of the wildcards, especially with Occy in the draw because I was thinking that if I had lost I probably would have matched up,” Parkinson said. “I’ll probably miss out on another good day of surfing but at least I’m a round ahead of those guys.”

Tiago Pires (PRT) led a legion of rookies and Europeans finding their feet today. Pires beat Bobby Martinez (USA) 16.17 to 14.63 – Luke Munro (AUS) sat their heat out after tweaking his knee freesurfing yesterday. He will instead try his luck in Round 2.

“Bobby and I got to surf a man-on-man heat because Luke Munro hurt himself yesterday,” Pires said.  “It’s really good training. Even though Bobby has to surf the second round now, he had a really fun surf out there and we had a bit more practice than anyone. With three guys out there, there is a bit more hassling and jockeying for position and stuff like that so that didn’t matter and we were pretty lucky.”

Aritz Aranburu (EUK) of Euskadi made his first heat as a member of the Top 45 and was joined by fellow European Jeremy Flores (FRA) in the winning circle. Only one of the record four Europeans on tour this year will surf Round 2. Miky Picon (FRA) finished second to Brazilian rookie Heitor Alves in their afternoon heat.

South Africa’s Jordy Smith was the other rookie to advance straight to Round 3 today. His countryman Travis Logie did the same.

“I’ve definitely taken to being in Round 2 this year so I thought I’d try to get straight through to Round 3,” Smith said.  “I haven’t made it through a Round 2 heat yet this year. I’m looking forward to the next round and getting some more good waves. I definitely felt the rookiness of the first three events so I’m just trying to play the patient game now and wait for the better waves.”

Dane Reynolds (USA), who at 10th on the ratings leads the newcomers, pulled out of the event for medical reasons. His spot went to second place trials winner Matia Waqa (FIJ) who was eliminated by Taj Burrow (AUS) in the first heat of Round 2. Bede Durbidge (AUS) beat Isei Tokovou (FIJ), the other local wildcard, in Round 2 Heat 2.

Competition will start with Heat 3 of Round 2 of the Billabong Pro Fiji tomorrow. An official call will be made at 7am.

A LIVE webcast of the Globe Pro Fiji will be available on www.aspworldtour.com and www.globeprofiji.com.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 1 Results:

Heat 1: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 15.67, Royden Bryson (ZAF) 12.86, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 9.26

Heat 2: Tiago Pires (PRT) 16.17, Bobby Martinez (USA) 14.63, Luke Munro (AUS) n/s

Heat 3: Ben Dunn (AUS) 13.00, Kai Otton (AUS) 12.44, Jihad Khodr (BRA) 8.00

Heat 4: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 11.27, Damien Hobgood (USA) 10.74, Daniel Ross (AUS) 4.87

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW) 16.40, Neco Padaratz (BRA) 12.93, Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 6.43

Heat 6: Travis Logie (ZAF) 13.00, Bede Durbidge (AUS) 11.87, Bruce Irons (HAW) 10.66

Heat 7: Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 12.00, Taj Burrow (AUS) 9.17, Dayyan Neve (AUS) 8.37

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) 19.73, Taylor Knox (USA) 12.84, Isei Tokovou (FIJ) 11.17

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) 18.00, Tim Reyes (USA) 11.83, Mark Occhilupo (AUS) 8.50

Heat 10: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.17, Yadin Nicol (AUS) 10.33, Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 4.73

Heat 11: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 15.77, C.J. Hobgood (USA) 8.93, Jay Thompson (AUS) 6.10

Heat 12: Roy Powers (HAW) 12.44, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 11.50, Chris Ward (USA) 8.00

Heat 13: Heitor Alves (BRA) 14.40, Mikael Picon (FRA) 13.87, Dean Morrison (AUS) 11.04

Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS) 12.60, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 10.83, Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 7.24

Heat 15: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 15.50, Daniel Wills (AUS) 12.73, Matia Waqa (FIJ) 7.26

Heat 16: Michael Campbell (AUS) 14.34, Ben Bourgeois (USA) 8.83, Tom Whitaker (AUS) 2.27

Globe Pro Fiji Round 2 Results:

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 10.34 def. Matia Waqa (FIJ) 3.83

Heat 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 16.07 def. Isei Tokovou (FIJ) 13.60

Upcoming Globe Pro Fiji Round 2 Heats:

Heat 3: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Mark Occhilupo (AUS)

Heat 4: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Yadin Nicol (AUS)

Heat 5: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 6: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 7: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 8: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 9: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Chris Ward (USA)

Heat 10: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 11: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 12: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) vs. Daniel Wills (AUS)

Heat 13: Dayyan Neve (AUS) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)

Heat 14: Bruce Irons (HAW) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 15: Neco Padaratz (BRA) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 16: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji

May 24–June 6, 2008

Burrow Finds Perfect Cloudbreak Barrel on Day 2 of the Globe Pro Fiji

Photo: Taj Burrow finds himself in the barrel in Round 3 of the Globe Pro Fiji.

TAVARUA, Fiji (Monday, May 26, 2008) – Eighteen heats of ASP World Tour action were run and won at the Globe Pro Fiji today, but Heat 4 of Round 3 featuring Taj Burrow (AUS) and Tiago Pires (PRT) was the heat of the day. Burrow beat Pires 17.00 to 15.01 after sealing the deal with a perfect 10 point ride, the second one posted in the Globe Pro Fiji so far.

“It was good fun –I haven’t had a 10 in awhile.” Burrow said. “It’s hard to get one these days so I might have thrown a little claim there in the end but it felt really good. I locked into the barrel, then I thought there wasn’t a chance for a bit but there was a little opening that shot me through so it felt awesome and I’m stoked.”

Pires earned a 9.67 of his own in an exchange in which he got the better of Burrow, but the Portugese surfer needed a better back-up score to take down his Australian opponent.

“Tiago doesn’t roll over, he’s intense and he puts up a good fight in these type of waves,” Burrow said. “He got a 9.67 on the first exchange. I only got a 7.00 and I thought mine was really good. After that, I was looking for one with a bit more wall with a long barrel to it and I managed to sneak the 10.00 under his priority because it was one of those real west ones. Still, in the end he only needed a 7.00 and I was dropping a 7.00 so there was to room to move, but I am pleased with the result.”

Tim Reyes (USA) surfed a strong heat, his second of the day, to defeat Roy Powers (HAW) 16.67 to. 13.16 and will now meet Burrow in Round 4. He and Powers also shared a great exchange.

“I didn’t know whether to go on the first or the second wave of that set and it wasn’t really a gamble because each one of us were going to get a good wave,” Reyes said. “I sat inside and pig-dogged it the whole way through and then I turn around and see my friend getting barreled and I went, ‘No!’ But he just got that one good one and I got two so that is what it takes.”

Reyes is rated 14th at present and is enjoying some success on the ASP World Tour after being plagued by injury half way through 2006 and sitting out most of last year.

“Fiji is a good event, it’s our best event on tour this year,” Reyes said. “I haven’t won a Round 1 heat since two years ago, so surfing through the second and third rounds to advance today feels so good. Credit to Roy, I’m sure he’s going to hunt me down in the next event for sure.”

World No. 3 Bede Durbidge negotiated his way through Round 2 yesterday afternoon at Restaurants and Round 3 at Cloudbreak today. He eliminated South Africa’s Royden Bryson.

“Surfing Restaurants yesterday and then surfing at Cloudbreak today was totally different and I needed a totally different game plan,” Durbidge said. “It was a bit tricky but I found a couple waves to make it through and I’m stoked. It’s only early and I want to keep surfing heats and keep having fun, I’m not ready to go home yet.”

Durbidge sits just behind Kelly Slater (USA) and Joel Parkinson (AUS) on the ASP ratings and is looking to better his 2007 World No. 5 result. He suffered a hiccup when he was eliminated in Round 3 in Tahiti last week.

“It’s event No. 4 now and I’m sitting in third so it would be good to get a good result here because I didn’t do too good in Tahiti,” Durbidge said. “Kelly has the hugest lead on all of us and every heat is so important so I just want to give it my best shot. Everyone is a threat but Kelly is just Kelly – he has eight world titles and he’s way out in front already. He is in form and definitely the surfer to beat.”

Former ASP World Tour and Fiji Champion Mark Occhilupo (AUS) retired last year, but he used his two decades worth of tour experience and wildcard into the Globe Pro Fiji to eliminate World No. 9 Kai Otton (AUS) in a close Round 2 heat this morning. Occhilupo found and emerged from two barrel rides late in the heat to take the lead and move to Round 3.

“We had our first surf out at Cloudbreak a couple of days ago and Kai was the best surfer out there by far, so I knew I had my work cut out for me,” Occhilupo said. “Unfortunately, he had a bit of a shocker. We’ll see how it goes from here, but right now I am just really happy with that win. I won here back in 1999 so to have a heat win today, kind of brought those memories back. It feels so good just to be here.”

Occhilupo is the only wildcard who advanced to Round 3 which makes him the lowest seeded surfer still in the event. It also means he will meet current World No. 1 Kelly Slater in Heat 8 of the third round.

“It’s fun, it really is,” Occhilupo said. “When I was on tour I used to hope for easy heats, but coming here this time I knew I was going to get the hardest heats which is good because you are ready for it. I’m so freshly retired that I still have big expectations but really I’m just here to have fun.”

Adriano de Souza surfed one of the higher scoring heats in Round 2 to advance over his friend and fellow Brazilian Jihad Kohdr. Currently sitting No. 6 on the ASP Ratings after a strong start to the year, de Souza is producing the goods he was predicted to after joining the ASP World Tour in 2005.

“I was really lucky to get two really good waves but the bad thing was to beat Jihad when he needed a result, it’s not something you want to do to a fellow countryman. But for my dream to come true of finishing in the top 10 I had to make that heat so I’m really happy and the same time sad for Jihad that he lost.”

Defending Champion Damien Hobgood (USA) earned a bye when Luke Munro (AUS) pulled out of the event with a torn meniscus. The walkthrough is a much-appreciated one for Hobgood who is recovering from a shoulder injury that kept him from competing in the last ASP World Tour event in Tahiti. Hobgood finished second in his three-man Round 1 heat with Jeremy Flores (FRA) and Daniel Ross (AUS) yesterday.

“I think the man-on-man heats will help me out,” Hobgood said. “I definitely don’t paddle as fast or get in the right spot as quick so I think man-on-man will be a little easier. My shoulder feels fine, I just can’t paddle as well, but once I’m up I’m good.”

Damien Hobgood is the only two time winner of the event, taking top honors in 2004 and 2006, but he doesn’t feel like his previous accolades in Fiji means he is a shoe-in for a Final berth in 2008.

“I think everybody knows that anybody can win any event at any time and it doesn’t really matter what you did last year,” Hobgood said.

Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow at 7am.

Visit www.aspworldtour.com and www.globeprofiji.com for more information.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 2 Results:

Heat 3: Mark Occhilupo (AUS) 12.50 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 11.17

Heat 4: Bobby Martinez (USA) 15.17 def. Yadin Nicol (AUS) 5.37

Heat 5: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.66 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 6.17

Heat 6: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 13.67 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 3.90

Heat 7: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.17 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 5.76

Heat 8: Royden Bryson (ZAF) 8.17 def. Dean Morrison (AUS) 7.77

Heat 9: Chris Ward (USA) 7.46 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 3.73

Heat 10: Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 11.00 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 9.67

Heat 11: Tim Reyes (USA) 13.83 def. Ben Bourgeois (USA) 6.36

Heat 12: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 14.67 def. Daniel Wills (AUS) 13.43

Heat 13: Dayyan Neve (AUS) 14.44 def. Leonardo Neves (BRA) 14.34

Heat 14: Mikael Picon (FRA) 16.17 def. Bruce Irons (HAW) 12.23

Heat 15: Jay Thompson (AUS) 13.00 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 10.30

Heat 16: Damien Hobgood (USA) adv. Luke Munro (AUS) inj.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 3 Results:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.33 def. Royden Bryson (ZAF) 7.20

Heat 2: Luke Stedman (AUS) 12.50 def. Miky Picon (FRA) 7.00

Heat 3: Tim Reyes (USA) 16.67 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 13.16

Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS) 17.00 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 15.07

Heat 5: Bobby Martinez (USA) 14. 50 def. Heitor Alves (BRA) 12.50

Upcoming Globe Pro Fiji Round 3 Heats:

Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 7: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Mark Occhilupo (AUS)

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 10: Dayyan Neve (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (ZAF)

Heat 11: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Chris Ward (USA)

Heat 12: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Heat 13: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 14: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 16: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Michael Campbell (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji

May 24–June 6, 2008

Patacchia Shows Irons Early Exit from the Globe Pro Fiji

Photo: Fred Patacchia en route to Round 4 at Cloudbreak.

TAVARUA, Fiji (Tuesday, May 27, 2008) – Three-time ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) was the first big seed to fall in the fourth event of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour. The current World No. 4 was eliminated by fellow Hawaiian Fred Patacchia in Round 3 of the Globe Pro Fiji today.

“It’s always a confidence boost to take out one of the Top 5 guys,” Patacchia said. “Andy is a three-time world champion and one of the greatest contest surfers in the world. I’m hoping that since I did take him out, I go at least as far as he would have gone; it’s always a bummer to get taken out by a guy who loses in the next round.”

Patacchia finished World No. 14 and claimed ASP Rookie of the Year honors in 2005, but almost didn’t requalify for the Dream Tour at the end of 2007 and has had a slow start to 2008. He pulled out of Snapper Rocks, Australia, finished equal 17th in Bells Beach, Australia and came last at Teahupoo, Tahiti last week.

“Missing the first event at Snapper was a bummer for me, I was injured,” Patacchia said. “It gives you a slow start to the year; it gives you a bad seed and you end up going up against high seeds for the rest of the year. Finally breaking through that 17th and 33rd result area is always nice. At least I’m going to get a ninth. I won’t be really happy with that though. I’m looking to go further and hopefully win my first ASP World Tour event.”

Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) is looking to post his first win of the year and is on the right track after posting the highest heat total of the day – 16.90 out of 20.00. He earned a near perfect 9.97 in his heat against Artiz Aranburu (EUK) when he came out of one of the few barrels on offer at Cloudbreak this afternoon.

“They jipped me that .03,” Fanning said. “No, I’m joking. It was a really slow heat actually. There weren’t many scores until right there at the end. I’m just lucky the last 10 minutes went really well for me. I got a couple of sixes and then finished off with a really good one.”

Heat 8 of Round 3 was a nostalgic one for former ASP World Champions Kelly Slater (USA) and Mark Occhilupo (AUS). Occhilupo retired last year, but was surfing in the 2008 Globe Pro Fiji as a wildcard.

“It’s nice sufing against Oc,” Slater said. “This is probably his last event out here at Tavarua so part of you wants him to go further and win the event, but not when he’s in your bracket. I think I was a little off that heat because I was caught up in the moment surfing against him in one of his last events and thinking about that more than what I actually needed to do out there.”

Occhilupo lost to Slater in a slow heat after giving up priority and handing his opponent an opportunity to improve his lead.

“It was a struggle,” Slater said. “I started off good with a 7.3 but then it got really slow. At the end of the heat, he paddled for one and lost priority and then I took off on it for some reason and gave him priority back. Then a set came and he had his choice – he took the first one and the second one was better.”

Slater will meet defending Globe Pro Fiji champion Damien Hobgood (USA) in Round 4 now. Hobgood beat Ben Dunn (AUS) with a 9.17 and a 6.50. Hobgood didn’t surf the last event on tour due to a hurt shoulder.

“I was super stoked with that heat,” Hobgood said. “After you come off injury you always want to get a win to get the monkey off your back. I definitely felt kind of tight on the first couple of waves so I was trying to get the flow back. I was really stoked that I was able to build on every wave and loosen up and get more in a rhythm for my next heat.”

Hobgood received a bye into Round 3 after Luke Munro (AUS) hurt his knee and pulled out yesterday, so the two-time winner of the Globe Pro Fiji was excited that he was able to get back out there today.

“Obviously Luke pulling out helped because I made my heat,” Hobgood said. “But for me, not having surfed for awhile, I’d rather surf some heats to get a little rhythm and a little momentum going. That is why I was really stoked with that heat.”

Brazil’s Adriano de Souza made his heat over Michael Campbell (AUS) today and was very pleased to assure another equal 9th or better finish.

“I feel so good,” de Souza said. “I have never started the year like this before. I’m really happy to have worked so hard and now see results pay off. I have Freddy P. next. He is a giant out at Cloudbreak, he knows the spot. It’s going to be exciting and I will use all my tools to get through the heat.”

Event officials predict that it might be a few days before the final day of Globe Pro Fiji action runs but an official call will be made tomorrow morning at 7am.

Today’s Globe Pro Fiji Round 3 Results:

Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 15. 33 def. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 10.63

Heat 7: Damien Hobgood (USA) 15.67def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 7.40

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) 15.66 def. Mark Occhilupo (AUS) 9.44

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) 16.90 def. Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 10.33

Heat 10: Dayyan Neve (AUS) 15.26 def. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 12.50

Heat 11: Chris Ward (USA) 10.50 def. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 8.93

Heat 12: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 16.73 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 10.10

Heat 13: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.67 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 7.10

Heat 14: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 14.83 vs. Jay Thompson (AUS) 6.17

Heat 15: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 16.34 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 5.38

Heat 16: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 15.33 def. Michael Campbell (AUS) 8.50

Jens

• Administrator

Mein Fantasy-Team läuft übrigens gut

Noch 6 Leute im Rennen  ;D

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji
Cloudbreak/Restaurants, Tavarua/Namotu - Fiji
May 24-June 6, 2008

Flores and Aranburu Eliminated in Round 3 of Globe Pro Fiji

Photo: Miky Picon (FRA) was stopped in Round 3 Monday, so were Jeremy Flores (FRA) and Aritz Aranburu (EUK) last night. All four Europeans place equal 17th in the Globe Pro Fiji 

TAVARUA, Fiji (Tuesday, May 27, 2008) – Jeremy Flores (FRA) and Aritz Aranburu (EUK) were both eliminated in Round 3 of the Globe Pro Fiji last night, at the world class venue of Cloudbreak in Tavarua, Fiji. Flores and Aranburu, the last two of four Europeans in the event, were respectively defeated by Chris Ward (USA) and reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS).

Jeremy Flores (FRA), 20, world No. 11 before the event and 2007 ASP Rookie of the Year, posted a surprising low score of 8.93 points (out of a possible 20) in a slow wave-starved heat. Flores, who started his 2008 campaign in superb form with a 3rd on the Gold Coast and a 9th at Bells Beach in Australia, suffers another early loss after his last place finish in Tahiti a couple of weeks ago. Flores, who had won his Round 1 heat over defending Globe Pro Fiji champion Damian Hobgood (USA) and ASP Top 45 rookie Daniel Ross (AUS), suffered a tough loss against Californian Ward and will now have to step up in the next event. He aims at improving his overall No.9 finish on the 2007 ASP World Tour ratings this year and will be much expected when the Dream Tour hits Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa.

Aritz Aranburu (EUK), 22, who recently recovered from a broken meniscus and got back on tour in Tahiti only after missing the two first events of the year, lost as well in Round 3. Aranburu, who had an excellent start at Restaurants in Round 1 when he bested 2007 ASP World Tour No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS), was defeated by Fanning who posted a near perfect 9.97 point ride (out of a possible 10) to finish with the second highest heat score of the day, an excellent 16.90 point tally (out of a possible 20). Aranburu, who is a rookie on this year’s ASP World Tour, betters the last place finish he got in Tahiti and seems to have recovered well but will now need to get confidence back against the world's best surfers.

Flores and Aranburu were not able to better fellow Europeans Picon and Pires and place equal 17th in the Globe Pro Fiji. Jeremy Flores (FRA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK), Tiago Pires (PRT) and Miky Picon (FRA) will now enjoy a month break before the tour hits South Africa for its fifth stop in July.

The Globe Pro Fiji is webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com!

EUROPEANS’ GLOBE PRO FIJI RESULTS
17th, Miky Picon (FRA)
17th, Tiago Pires (PRT)
17th, Jeremy Flores (FRA)
17th, Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Get all the action from the Europeans of the 2008 ASP World Tour on www.aspeurope.com!

Jens

• Administrator

Zumindest haben die Euros gezeigt, dass sie nicht ganz einfach zu schlagen sind und gerade auch in grossen heftigen Wellen mit ihnen zu rechnen ist.

Immerhin standen in den ersten Runden Namen wie Taj Burrow, Bobby Martinez und Damien Hobgood auf der Speisekarte der Euros.  ;D

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji

May 24–June 6, 2008

Another Day Off for the Globe Pro Fiji

TAVARUA, Fiji (Thursday, May 29, 2008) – The Globe Pro Fiji will not run today. The two to three foot conditions currently on offer are expected to morph into much bigger waves later this weekend and into next week.

Event officials have eight days in which to complete just one full day of competition.

When competition does resume, Australia’s Dayyan Neve will endeavor to post more scores like the 9.83 that helped him eliminate Jordy Smith (ZAF) in Round 3.

“I haven’t actually done better than a ninth since I’ve been on the ASP World Tour so I’ve equaled my best result,” Neve said. “I plan on making it my best result.”

Neve will have to beat Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) to advance into the quarterfinals of the Globe Pro Fiji. Fanning and Neve will meet in Heat 5 of Round 4.

Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7am.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)

Heat 2: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Taj Burrow (AUS)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Kelly Slater (USA)

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Dayyan Neve (AUS)

Heat 6: Chris Ward (USA) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Pancho Sullivan (HAW)

Heat 8: Frederick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Jens

• Administrator

Wahrscheinlich ist dort noch bis Anfang nächster Woche Pause, dann soll ein neuer Swell auf den Fijis eintreffen

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji

May 24–June 6, 2008

Globe Pro Fiji Off; Waves on the Way

Photo: Fred Patacchia will try his hand in a tennis tournament on Tavarua today.

TAVARUA, Fiji (Friday, May 30, 2008) – The 16 remaining surfers in the Globe Pro Fiji will enjoy their third day off in paradise, today’s competition has been called off citing swell on the horizon.

“We're focused on a great finish to what has already been a really good event and right now we're preparing for a perfect six foot (two metre) high swell to arrive at Cloudbreak on Sunday or Monday, maybe Tuesday,” Contest Director Steve Robertson said. “Let’s face it, these final 16 surfers are in a high pressure situation and Globe want a classic finish. Slater can potentially steal a massive break here, or Fanning. Joel Parkinson, the Hobgoods and Adriano De Souza can really claw their way back into title contention. We want this finish to occur in awesome Cloudbreak conditions!”

Focus will shift from the smallish waves wrapping around Tavarua to the tennis courts today. The world’s best surfers will try their luck in a tennis tournament – the winner earning themselves a US$200 bar tab.

Another official call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7am.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)

Heat 2: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Taj Burrow (AUS)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 4: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Kelly Slater (USA)

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Dayyan Neve (AUS)

Heat 6: Chris Ward (USA) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Pancho Sullivan (HAW)

Heat 8: Frederick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Christoph

• the Lens
  • Global Moderator
    • Christoph Pless Photography

Mein Fantasy-Team läuft übrigens gut

Noch 6 Leute im Rennen  ;D

bei mir sind es immerhin noch 5  ;)
Who conquered the mind, conquers the world!

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...

bei mir nur 4 ...aber ich glaube der sieger ist dabei ;-)

Jens

• Administrator

Globe Pro Fiji

May 24–June 6, 2008

Globe Pro Fiji Quarterfinalists Decided at Cloudbreak

Photo: Adriano De Souza is amped to be through to the quarterfinals.

TAVARUA, Fiji (Monday, June 2, 2008) – The quarterfinalists in the 2008 Globe Pro Fiji were decided in three to four foot (one metre plus) waves at Cloudbreak today. Kelly Slater (USA), Joel Parkinson (AUS), Bede Durbidge (AUS) and Mick Fanning (AUS), who are rated first through fourth respectively, all advanced through Round 4 today.

Current World No. 6 Adriano de Souza (BRA) posted the highest single wave score of the Round 4 – 9.00 points out of 10.00 – to narrowly defeat Fred Patacchia (HAW) in the last heat of the day.

“I watched a couple heats before mine and there weren’t many scores, the waves were pumping in Bede and Luke’s heat, but later in the afternoon the scores weren’t as high,” de Souza said. “I was looking for the sets and I waited for 12 minutes for my first wave. When it came I was thinking, ‘Wow, it’s really perfect.’ I did two massive turns and did a floater at the end. When I landed the floater at the end I was pumping my fist and going, ‘Yeah! I’m going to get the big score,’ and then I got the 9.00 so I am really happy.”

World No. 5 Andy Irons’ early exit may open the door for de Souza to move into the ASP Top 5 after the Globe Pro Fiji. A Brazilian surfer hasn’t finished in the Top 5 since Victor Ribas (BRA) finished the year World No. 3 in 1999, but with seven events still to go, de Souza knows he has his work cut out for him.

“I’m looking for Top 10 this year, so the more heats I make it through will bring me closer to my dream,” de Souza said. “It’s really good for me to make the quarters and getting through World No. 2 Joel Parkinson and into the semis would be even better. It’s still early days and I’m not looking for a title, but I’m looking for Top 10 this year and putting all of my energy toward achieving that goal.”

Eight-time ASP World Champion Slater is looking for a title and, after eliminating defending Globe Pro Fiji Champion Damien Hobgood, he is one step closer to posting what could be his third win of the 2008 ASP World Tour season.

“It’s kind of shame we weren’t on opposite sides of the draw where we could have met up in the final if we both had a good run,” Slater said. “Between us we have won the last three events here, so to meet in the fourth round is a little early. You’d hope we’d come against each other later if we both made it that far. It was a slow heat and we both had different game plans. I was going to sit deeper and try to surf the wave and he was going to stay wide and look for the barrel and the inside ones and my plan worked out.”

Slater faltered in the last ASP World Tour event in Tahiti when he was eliminated by event wildcard Manoa Drollet (PYF), but still maintains his undefeated record against his co-tourers in 2008. Because wildcard Bruno Santos (BRA) won in Tahiti, Slater is the only member of the ASP Top 45 with a victory under his belt this year.

“It’s just an odd thing that I had those two wins and then a wildcard wins the third event,” Slater said. “I haven’t lost to a tour guy yet this year but it’s in the cards. It’s going to happen at some point, whether it’s in the next heat, or if I win this contest, in the next contest. You have to capitalize on these runs when you get them. There aren’t that many contests, so if you win one or two in a year, it’s a pretty good year, and back to back is nice. I’m just pretending I’m starting from zero now to try to get my head back into the ‘trying to win’ phase.”

Slater will maintain his ratings lead after earning his quarterfinal berth today. Even with a win, World No. 2 Parkinson cannot take overtake him.

“They were saying that nobody could pass me if I made the quarterfinals so as far as the ratings go, I’ll stay on the top no matter what happens here,” Slater said. “But every contest is an opportunity to try to get a few a more points. Another win would be nice, especially in Tavarua, it’s one of my favorite places.”

Parkinson eliminated Hawaii’s Pancho Sullivan to secure a semifinal berth against de Souza.

“I thought there was going to be more action,” Parkinson said. “My first wave got me off to my start and I was going to build from there, but in the end all I was trying to do was back it up. It was only a 6.8 but a 7.0 today was a pretty high score so I was just trying to back that score up. We both had a few opportunities but Pancho fell on one that probably could have changed the heat for him.”

Parkinson is Slater’s closest competition at present but regular contenders like reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) and Taj Burrow (AUS) are also looking to close the gap in Fiji.

“Everyone always hopes that there is one or two guys around them who loses so that they can climb up the ratings and creep closer to their goals,” Parkinson said. “But everyone sitting at the top is staying there so that will make for an interesting final stage.”

There is a strong likelihood that the Globe Pro Fiji will finish tomorrow. Seven heats of competition remain and event organizers are aiming for a 7am start. An official call will be made at 6:30 tomorrow morning.

Globe Pro Fiji Round 4 Results:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 16.07 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 7.93

Heat 2: Taj Burrow (AUS) 15.50 def. Tim Reyes (USA) 3.83

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) 14.50 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 13.56

Heat 4: Kelly Slater (USA) 12.73 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 8.06

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) 12.34 def. Dayyan Neve (AUS) 5.00

Heat 6: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 13.67 def. Chris Ward (USA) 13.00

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 12.33 def. Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 10.50

Heat 8: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 13.83 def. Frederick Patacchia (HAW) 13.50

Globe Pro Fiji Quarterfinal Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Taj Burrow (AUS)

Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Kelly Slater (USA)

Heat 3: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...

soderle es läuft das finale läuft.

die florida connection tritt gegeneinander an und kelly zeigt CJ gerade wer der chef im haus ist