Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 03, 2024, 00:14:23
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: ASP World Tour Stop 3/8 Billabong Pro Tahiti  (Gelesen 9267 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
ASP World Tour Stop 3/8 Billabong Pro Tahiti
« am: Mai 08, 2008, 09:07:30 »

Billabong Pro Tahiti pres. by Air Tahiti Nui

Stop No. 3 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour

Teahupoo, Taiarapu, Tahiti

May 8-18, 2007
Billabong Pro Tahiti May Start Tomorrow; Andy Irons and Joel Parkinson are Prepared

Pictured: Former Billabong Pro Tahiti winner Andy Irons eyes another Teahupoo victory.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Wednesday, May 7, 2008) – The waiting period for the Billabong Pro Tahiti –
Stop No. 3 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour – starts tomorrow, May 8, 2008. According to contest director and former ASP Top 45 surfer Luke Egan, the action could commence right away.

“I had a dream last night that we were going to get a swell like we did for the trials but then I woke up to the reality that I don’t think we are going to,” Egan said. “We still have opportunity for storms to generate in the later part of the waiting period but at the moment we’ve got to get started because there is not too much swell between now and the 18th.”

The Billabong Pro Tahiti has an 11 day window (May 8th-18th) in which to run four full day’s worth of surfing . Though the lefthand reef break is most famous for producing huge, heaving barrels, it is definitely contestable when the waves are smaller.

“It’s come up a little bit today from yesterday,” Egan said. “If it’s the same size as today tomorrow –even if we have to run 35-minute heats— we’ll run Round 1.”

Three-time ASP World Champion Andy Irons (HAW) is ready for his Round 1 bout with Ben Dunn (AUS) and Tiago Pires (PRT). The 2002 Billabong Pro Tahiti Champion knows that he has some ground to make up after going down to eight-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) in the quarterfinals in the first two events of the year.

“I’ve gotten two fifths,” Irons said. “That would be great start if the top guys were getting a good result and then losing at the next contest, but Kelly has won two, Mick (Fanning) has a second and a fifth, Joel (Parkinson) has got two fifths and Bede (Durbidge) has a second a third. Two fifths aren’t going to cut it this year so I need to start making semis and better. Hopefully I can capitalize at this event. It looks like it might be a slow start but I’ve got good short boards so I’m ready for anything.”

Irons and Joel Parkinson are currently sitting equal 6th on the ASP ratings. Both surfers are favorites anywhere on tour – but neither factored in the title race last year like they have in the past. A strong showing in Tahiti is imperative to keep them in the race for 2009.

“The usual suspects have started pretty strong and they’re all hungry,” Parkinson said. “Coming into the day before an event you just have to take a step back and look at all your preparation and what’s ahead and concentrate on your strengths. All the hard work has been done, now it’s time to get out on the dance floor.”

Parkinson will no doubt be amongst a large contingent of non-Americans eager to win the event. Aside from Australian Mark Occhilupo’s victory at the inaugural Billabong Pro Tahiti in 1999, an American has won the event every year since.

“Last year Mick (Fanning) got second and I’ve gotten a third; Taj (Burrow) has had seconds – we’ve been up there,” Parkinson said.  “The win has definitely eluded the Aussies but I guarantee that the hunger is there for us all to do it. I guess it’s just a matter of luck of the ocean and knowledge of the wave.”

Parkinson is slated to take on defending champion Damien Hobgood (USA) and Aritz Aranburu (EUK) – both of whom are rehabbing recent injuries – in Round 1.

A call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7am.

The Billabong Pro Tahiti will be webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com

and www.billabongpro.com.

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 1 Match-Ups:

Heat 1:  Dean Morrison (AUS), Luke Munro (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 2:  Kai Otton (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 3:  Bobby Martinez (USA), Roy Powers (HAW), Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 4:  Jeremy Flores (FRA), Tim Reyes (USA), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 5:  Andy Irons (HAW), Ben Dunn (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 6:  Joel Parkinson (AUS), Damien Hobgood (USA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 7:  Bede Durbidge (AUS), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Chris Ward (USA)

Heat 8:  Kelly Slater (USA), C.J. Hobgood (USA), Manoa Drollet (PYF)

Heat 9:  Mick Fanning (AUS), Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Jamie O'Brien (HAW)

Heat 10: Taj Burrow (AUS), Tom Whitaker (AUS), Bruno Santos (BRA)

Heat 11: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 12: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Jay Thompson (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA)

Heat 13: Taylor Knox (USA), Kieren Perrow (AUS), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Michael Campbell (AUS)

Heat 15: Dane Reynolds (USA), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 16: Neco Padaratz (BRA), Bruce Irons (HAW), Daniel Wills (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: ASP World Tour Stop 3/8 Billabong Pro Tahiti
« Antwort #1 am: Mai 09, 2008, 11:46:28 »

Lay Day on Day 1 of the Billabong Pro Tahiti Waiting Period

Pictured: A local Tahitian twirls fire at the Billabong Pro Tahiti Welcoming Party.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Thursday, May 8, 2008) – Today is the first of an 11-day waiting period for the Billabong Pro Tahiti but the ASP Top 45 and event wildcards will not paddle out for their Round 1 heats today. Contest Director Luke Egan eyed conditions all morning before opting to call things off for the day.

"We had a good look at it and we are opting not to run today,” Egan said. “I watched it for an hour last night and if it looked like that this morning then I was definitely going to run. Time is on our side with the waiting period so we are going to utilize it fully."

Conditions are forecasted to stay small over the next few days which is good news for at least one surfer— defending champion Damien Hobgood (USA). Hobgood suffered an injury freesurfing at Teahupoo a few weeks ago and is still nursing a sore shoulder. The more time he has to heal increases the likelihood he will be able to compete.

Remarkably, it’s been years since each and every member of the Top 45 have been slated to surf an event – injury, personal lives and travel issues often intervene. At this juncture, all elite tour surfers are seeded into the draw. Among them, after spending much of the past two years on the injury list himself, is Timmy Reyes (USA).

"I’m definitely back at 100%,” Reyes said. “I just found my good surfing rhythm within Australia. I felt like I was surfing pretty good over there, I just had a couple of tough breaks but that is what happens when you surf against the world’s top surfers. I’m just stoked to be back to 100%, if not better, and I can’t wait for the contest to start. I’m stoked to be here."

Reyes will meet 2007 ASP Rookie of the Year Jeremy Flores (FRA) and South Africa’s Travis Logie in Heat 4 of Round 1.

The surfers and event staff enjoyed a traditional Tahitian welcome complete with belly dancing and fire twirling last night. Today's activities will likely include kayaking, fishing, hiking and napping.

Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow, Friday, May 9, at 7am.

The Billabong Pro Tahiti will be webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com.

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 1 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Dean Morrison (AUS), Luke Munro (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 2: Kai Otton (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA), Roy Powers (HAW), Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 4: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Tim Reyes (USA), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW), Ben Dunn (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 6: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Damien Hobgood (USA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)

Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Chris Ward (USA)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA), C.J. Hobgood (USA), Manoa Drollet (PYF)

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS), Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Jamie O'Brien (HAW)

Heat 11: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 12: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Jay Thompson (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA)

Heat 13: Taylor Knox (USA), Kieren Perrow (AUS), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Michael Campbell (AUS)

Heat 15: Dane Reynolds (USA), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 16: Neco Padaratz (BRA), Bruce Irons (HAW), Daniel Wills (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: Mai 10, 2008, 10:15:54 »

Billabong Pro Tahiti pres. by Air Tahiti Nui Takes the Day Off

Photo: The ASP Brazilian contingent boats in to hear the official call.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Friday, May 9, 2008) – The Billabong Pro Tahiti will not run today, Friday, May 9, 2008. The small waves on offer at Teahupoo this morning are inadequate for ASP World Tour competition and there are nine more days in which to run the four days of competition it will take to crown a Billabong Pro Tahiti champion.

According to Kevin Wallis of Surfline, conditions are expected to stay small through the weekend, but the long range forecast looks more promising.

“Small surf prevails Friday through the weekend, with just leftover SW swell and weak tradeswell,” Wallis said. “Early next week looks more promising with a new WSW/SW swell. The long range potential also looks at least slightly better than what we’ve seen the past couple days.”

When Round 1 does commence, Heat 9 will pit reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) against Hawaiians Pancho Sullivan and Jamie O’Brien.

O’Brien earned his berth into the main event after winning the Air Tahiti Nui VonZipper Trials and, despite not being a full-time competitor on the ASP World Tour, has already tasted ASP World Tour victory. He won the Pipeline Masters as a wildcard in 2004.

Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow morning at 7.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: Mai 13, 2008, 09:27:08 »

May 8-18, 2007

Billabong Pro Tahiti to Start Tomorrow; Defending Champion Withdraws

Photo: There will be a lot more going on at Teahupoo when competition starts tomorrow.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Monday, May 12, 2008) – The 11-day Billabong Pro Tahiti waiting period is nearly half over, but the wait ends tomorrow. Today, the fifth official lay day for ASP World Tour competition at Teahupoo, will be one of preparation for the World’s Top 45 surfers. A rising swell has reinforced predictions that Round 1 of the Billabong Pro Tahiti will commence tomorrow, Tuesday, May 13, 2008.

Defending Billabong Pro Tahiti Champion Damien Hobgood (USA) has officially withdrawn from competition. ASP replacement surfer Nic Muscroft (AUS) will take his place. Hobgood fractured his shoulder freesurfing at Teahupoo one month ago and was hoping to heal in time to defend his title, unfortunately, he will have to wait to see if he can do so at the next stop in Fiji – he was the last event winner there as well.

“I wanted to wait until the last minute to see if it would be possible for me to surf but my arm was too weak to be able to pull that off,” Hobgood said. “Also if I would have hit my shoulder again, that could have put me out for a lot longer and after making that mistake last year, I didn't want to repeat it. I should be able to surf Fiji so I am really looking forward to getting back in the water for that event.”

Hobgood’s withdrawal has changed the seeding on the Billabong Pro Tahiti draw and the heat match-ups have moved around significantly. Rookie Jordy Smith (ZAF) will now face Australia's Dean Morrison and fellow South African Ricky Basnett in the first heat of the day.

Event officials will aim to start competition at 7am tomorrow.

The Billabong Pro Tahiti will be webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com.

Updated Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 1 Match-Ups:
Heat 1: Dean Morrison (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)
Heat 2: Kai Otton (AUS), Luke Munro (AUS), Royden Bryson (ZAF)
Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA), Leonardo Neves (BRA), Travis Logie (ZAF)
Heat 4: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Roy Powers (HAW), Tiago Pires (PRT)
Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW), Tim Reyes (USA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK)
Heat 6: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Ben Dunn (AUS), Chris Ward (USA)
Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Dayyan Neve (AUS), Nic Muscroft (AUS)
Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA), C.J. Hobgood (USA), Manoa Drollet (PYF)
Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS), Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Jamie O'Brien (HAW)
Heat 11: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Jay Thompson (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS)
Heat 12: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Kieren Perrow (AUS), Mikael Picon (FRA)
Heat 13: Taylor Knox (USA), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Heitor Alves (BRA)
Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Jihad Khodr (BRA)
Heat 15: Dane Reynolds (USA), Bruce Irons (HAW), Michael Campbell (AUS)
Heat 16: Neco Padaratz (BRA), Daniel Wills (AUS), Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: Mai 14, 2008, 09:25:16 »

Tiago Pieres hat seinen Erst-Runden Heat gegen Jeremy Flores und Roy Powers gewonnen und das an einem der, oder sogar DEM heftigsten Spots der Tour !! Sensationell !! Euroforce go !!

Eine weitere Sensation, Mick Fanning hat seinen 1. und 2. Runden-Heat verloren und ist bereits raus aus dem Contest!!

May 8-18, 2007

Fanning Bows Out of the Billabong Pro Tahiti; Slater Survives Round 2

Photo: Wildcard Bruno Santos eliminated reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning in Round 2.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Tuesday, May 13, 2008) – Reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) suffered his first last place finish in two years at the Billabong Pro Tahiti this afternoon. After waiting for six days to commence competition, all of Round 1 and the first five heats of Round 2 were run in perfect four to six foot waves at Teahupoo today.

Fanning was relegated to the sudden death round after finishing a tenth of a point behind Pancho Sullivan (HAW) in a low scoring Round 1 heat. He failed to find his rhythm in Round 2 too, losing to Brazilian Wildcard Bruno Santos in the dying seconds of their duel.

“Things could be better,” Fanning said. “Every wave was a battle for fours and fives out there. They weren’t opening up and then I was either too wide or too deep – I couldn’t find the happy medium, but it happens. The waves were good, I wasn’t good.”

Fanning made the Final of the Billabong Pro Tahiti last year and finished in the semifinals or better in 11 of the last 13 ASP World Tour events. His equal 33rd finish today is his first since bowing out early at Teahupoo two years ago. Surfers drop two results at year’s end.

“It’s been a couple years,” Fanning said. “I’m just going to throw this one away – there are a lot of events left so I’m going to go home and get focused again.”

Santos trailed Fanning the entire heat but only needed a 3.34 to change the situation. He beat Fanning 10.00 to 9.17 when he earned a 4.17 on wave he caught as the heat-end hooter blew.

“It was a really bad heat because the waves were so good and I couldn’t find a wave better than five points,” Santos said. “It was a bad heat but at the end I just found a little barrel. I almost fell but I made the barrel and I got the score.”

Eight-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) was also forced to surf Round 2 after finishing second to local wildcard Manoa Drollet (PYF) in Round 1. Slater, the 2000, 2003 and 2005 winner of the event, beat wildcard Jamie O’Brien (HAW) 18.70 to 13.90 this afternoon.

“Jamie is a great surfer and one of the best tube riders of all time so I knew it was going to be a tough heat,” Slater said. “The thing I thought about going into Round 2 was that I’ve got another wildcard now, who is probably the best wildcard. Instead of thinking about losing earlier I was thinking that there were three waves at the end of the last heat that Manoa kept me off that I could have easily got my scores on, so the heat was a lot closer than it looked  since we were basically even on one wave. You’ve got to play on your strengths and be realistic about your situation.”

Slater only surfed Round 2 once last year and prior to his Round 1 loss today, hadn’t lost a heat this season. He has won the first two stops on the 2008 ASP World Tour.

“Obviously streaks are nice but all streaks come to end,” Slater said. “The thing about it is that you just have to take your losses and learn something out there and I think I did that. I had the waves to win in that first heat but I just got held off on a couple. I figured with priority I would be able to be a little more selective, take my time and be where I want on the wave. I probably caught eight closeouts in that first heat because I had to go so deep every time.”

Slater will meet Drollet again in Round 3, but the local surfer will go into their bout with added confidence having won today.

“It’s excellent to beat Kelly,” Drollet said. “I feel bad, he was a bit pissed, but it’s a contest. I was lucky to get the best two waves of the heat, Kelly got one in the end and he almost came back. In this competition, the guy who gets the good waves is going to win the heat, and that was me today.”

Drollet is the only local surfer in the 2008 edition of the Billabong Pro, the Tahitians often eliminate World Tour surfers at Teahupoo, but a local has never won the event.

“I got third once and C.J. Hobgood knocked me out of the contest that year, that was nine years ago,” Drollet said. “Of course, I dream of winning this contest but I don’t want to get ahead of myself. They’re all good and they all know the wave as well as I do. I will take it wave by wave.”

The heat of the day was surfed by Adriano de Souza (BRA) who found two deep barrels to post a near perfect 19.53 out of 20.00 and advance over Kieren Perrow (AUS) and Miky Picon (FRA).  His heat total today is by far the highest of his three year ASP World Tour career.

“I’ve come here many times to Teahupoo and I always get good waves but I can never show that in my heats so today I’m pretty happy, it’s my day,” de Souza said. “I’m really happy to get the huge scores, hopefully I can keep the same determination and the same focus for the next heat because I’m hoping to finish this contest near the Final.”

Top seeded surfers Andy Irons (HAW), Joel Parkinson (AUS) and Taj Burrow (AUS) made their Round 1 heats today and move straight to Round 3. World No. 2 Bede Durbidge (AUS) fought back in Round 2 to advance as well.

Event organizers will endeavor to run the remaining 11 heats of Round 2 and most of Round 3 tomorrow. Conditions are expected to be as good as they were this afternoon tomorrow morning so competition is slated to start at 6:30am with Heat 6 of Round 2.

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 1 Results:

Heat 1: Dean Morrison (AUS) 16.16, Jordy Smith (ZAF) 12.73, Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 9.17

Heat 2: Kai Otton (AUS) 14.07, Luke Munro (AUS) 13.40, Royden Bryson (ZAF) 11.17

Heat 3: Bobby Martinez (USA) 14.74, Travis Logie (ZAF) 13.50, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 6.73

Heat 4: Tiago Pires (PRT) 15.17, Jeremy Flores (FRA) 10.44, Roy Powers (HAW) 3.07

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW) 11.27, Tim Reyes (USA) 10.50, Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 6.63

Heat 6: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.94, Chris Ward (USA) 12.87, Ben Dunn (AUS) 10.77

Heat 7: Dayyan Neve (AUS) 16.16, Bede Durbidge (AUS) 14.00, Nic Muscroft (AUS) 5.20

Heat 8: Manoa Drollet (PYF) 18.60, Kelly Slater (USA) 15.30, C.J. Hobgood (USA) 13.00

Heat 9: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 9.50, Mick Fanning (AUS) 9.40, Jamie O'Brien (HAW) 8.03

Heat 10: Taj Burrow (AUS) 14.50, Tom Whitaker (AUS) 12.73, Bruno Santos (BRA) 6.70

Heat 11: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 11.43, Daniel Ross (AUS) 8.73, Jay Thompson (AUS) 7.00

Heat 12: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 19.53, Kieren Perrow (AUS) 9.20, Mikael Picon (FRA) 9.20

Heat 13: Heitor Alves (BRA) 15.27, Taylor Knox (USA) 6.83, Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 4.93

Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS) 15.33, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 11.93, Jihad Khodr (BRA) 3.16

Heat 15: Michael Campbell (AUS) 18.24, Bruce Irons (HAW) 16.5, Dane Reynolds (USA) 11.77

Heat 16: Daniel Wills (AUS) 14.83, Neco Padaratz (BRA) 14.10, Ben Bourgeois (USA) 10.26

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 2 Results:

Heat 1: Kelly Slater (USA) 18.70, Jamie O'Brien (HAW) 13.90

Heat 2: Bruno Santos (BRA) 10.00, Mick Fanning (AUS) 9.17

Heat 3: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 13.74, Nic Muscroft (AUS) 2.97

Heat 4: Chris Ward (USA) 14.50, Jeremy Flores (FRA) 12.90

Heat 5: Taylor Knox (USA) 11.83, Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 7.44

Remaining Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 2 Match-Ups:

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 7: Neco Padaratz (BRA) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 8: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 9: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 10: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 11: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 12: Roy Powers (HAW) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 13: Leonardo Neves (BRA) vs. Bruce Irons (HAW)

Heat 14: Luke Munro (AUS) vs. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 16: Jay Thompson (AUS) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: Mai 14, 2008, 09:34:16 »

Hier noch ein Bild von Tiago auf seinem Weg zum 1.Runden-Sieg:

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: Mai 15, 2008, 09:54:25 »

Billabong Pro Tahiti Wildcards Leave Slater and Burrow in their Wake in Round 3

Photo: Wildcard Manoa Drollet (PYF) eliminated Kelly Slater in Round 3 of the Billabong Pro Tahiti.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Wednesday, May 14, 2008) –Eight-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) and last year’s World No. 2 Taj Burrow (AUS) were Round 3 casualties to Billabong Pro Tahiti wildcards today. 

Bruno Santos (BRA), who eliminated reigning World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) in a tight heat yesterday, beat Burrow in a much more convincing fashion today when he earned an early 8.33 to take a lead he never relinquished.

“It’s so good to surf against the best surfers and beat the guys,” Santos said. “This heat was so different than my heat yesterday. I got a big score at the beginning, got priority and then I got another big score, a 9.27, so I am really happy. Hopefully I can keep going, I really want to make the final.”

Local surfer Manoa Drollet (PYF), who won his Round 1 heat over Slater and C.J. Hobgood yesterday, beat the World No. 1 with a 14.00 heat total despite Slater catching the best wave of the heat, a 9.83, in the dying minutes of the heat.

“To beat Kelly Slater is pretty much as good as it gets but to win the contest would be even better,” Drollet said. “I got lucky, again like in the first round, when I got the best wave right at the beginning. I was in the lead and I was more relaxed and there weren’t many waves at the end of the heat, so he couldn’t do anything.”

Slater was handed a priority interference penalty for paddling for a wave Drollet wanted and had priority on so his second scoring ride wasn’t counted. Even if it had, Slater would have come up short 13.26 to Drollet’s 14.00.

“I paddled probably one paddle too much,” Slater said of the interference. “I sort of judged it like Manoa wasn’t going to catch it and I paddled a little more than I obviously would have and then it was too late. That’s the way it goes, I made a little mistake and out here at Teahupoo the chances of coming back from an interference are almost nil.”

Slater will retain his No. 1 rating after the Billabong Pro Tahiti despite his equal 17th finish today. His closest threats still in the competition are Andy Irons (HAW) and Joel Parkinson (AUS), both of whom are rated 6th in the world right now. Should one of them win the event, they would move to World No. 2 behind Slater.

“We’ll see what happens,” Slater said. “Taj went down and Mick went down so that’s good for me if I’m going to look at the whole year,” Slater said. “It gives Andy and Parko a chance to catch up but the best one of them can do is a 5th I think, because they’re going to knock each other out. Then there’s Bede; we’ll see how Bede goes. This isn’t his strong wave, but he could get a good result.”

Durbidge, who came into the event World No. 2, didn’t get a strong result and was knocked by an in form Chris Ward (USA) in the second to last heat of the day. Ward earned one of three perfect 10s awarded today, but was the only surfer earning one to advance. Tiago Pires (PRT) earned a 10.00 but lost his heat to Parkinson on an interference mistake and Leonardo Neves (BRA) needed more than a 10.00 and a 6.90 to beat Bruce Irons’ (HAW) 18.33 in Round 2.

C.J. Hobgood, the 2004 winner of the Billabong Pro laid claim to the highest heat score of the event moments after watching Ward blitz – he posted a 9.97 and a 9.67 for a 19.64 heat total in the last heat of the day.

“Wardo pretty much laid the groundwork for that,” Hobgood said. “I was just watching him. What do you do when the waves are cooking? More times than not when you are out here right before dark you get this little window and I was just hoping the waves would turn on and they did.”

ASP Rookies Dane Reynolds (USA) and Jordy Smith (ZAF) went head to head in Heat 3 of Round 3. Reynolds, who is the highest rated rookie on tour at equal 11th, got the better of the exchange and is through to Round 4.

“When I saw that I had Jordy I was like, ‘Oh, no,’ I was so nervous just because of all the hype surrounding us,” Reynolds said. “I didn’t really care who won, I just didn’t want to get smoked and be all embarrassed. I’m stoked I won that one, I’m sure there will be plenty of matchups, probably at JBay and then I’m sure it will be the other way around, so it will be fun.”

There are 17 heats of Billabong Pro Tahiti action remaining and contest officials are hoping to finish the competition by 4pm local time tomorrow. An official call will be made at 6am.

All the action will be webcast LIVE on www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com.

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 3 Results:

Heat 1: Andy Irons (HAW) 15.50 def. Royden Bryson (ZAF) 12.47

Heat 2: Luke Stedman (AUS) 17.53 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 12.4

Heat 3: Dane Reynolds (USA) 18.17 def. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 12.23

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.06 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 10

Heat 5: Dean Morrison (AUS) 17.94 def. Michael Campbell (AUS) 15

Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 18.63 def. Ben Bourgeois (USA) 16.40

Heat 7: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 17.66 def. Dayyan Neve (AUS) 11.37

Heat 8: Manoa Drollet (PYF) 14.00 def. Kelly Slater (USA) 9.83

Heat 9: Bruno Santos (BRA) 17.60 def. Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.00

Heat 10: Tim Reyes (USA) 16.74 def. Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 12.33

Heat 11: Kai Otton (AUS) 16.94 def. Heitor Alves (BRA) 9.40

Heat 12: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 17.83 def. Danny Wills (AUS) 9.17

Heat 13: Chris Ward (USA) 19.17 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 7.30

Heat 14: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 19.64 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 14.06

Today’s Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 2 Results:

Heat 5: Taylor Knox (USA) 11.83 def. Aritz Aranburu (EUK) 7.44

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) 14.50 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 12.26

Heat 7: Royden Bryson (ZAF) 13.33 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 9.60

Heat 8: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 16.67 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 6.17

Heat 9: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 15.84 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 9.40

Heat 10: Mikael Picon (FRA) 15.07 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 9.83

Heat 11: Tim Reyes (USA) 10.50 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 5.53

Heat 12: Ben Bourgeois (USA) 17.00 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 10.00

Heat 13: Bruce Irons (HAW) 18.33 def. Leonardo Neves (BRA) 16.90

Heat 14: Luke Munro (AUS) 17.76 def. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 17.24

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 13.77 def. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 11.17

Heat 16: Jay Thompson (AUS) 17.10 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 16.67

Remaining Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 3 Match-Ups:

Heat 15: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Miky Picon (FRA)

Heat 16: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Bruce Irons (HAW)

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 4 Match-Ups:

Heat 1: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)

Heat 2: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Joel Parkinson (AUS)

Heat 3: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Adrian Buchan (AUS)

Heat 4: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Manoa Drollet (PYF)

Heat 5: Bruno Santos (BRA) vs.Tim Reyes (USA)

Heat 6: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Heat 7: Chris Ward (USA) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

Heat 8: TBA

Tiago Pieres hatte übrigens Joel Parkinson mit einer Perfect 10 schon klar in der Tasche verlor den Heat aber durch einen geschickten Schachzug von Joel, der ihn in eine Interference-Situation lockte und so mit seinen mittelmässigen Scores den Heat gewinnen konnte. Auf jeden Fall hat Tiago bewiesen, dass die Euros sich auch oder gerade bei heftigen Wellen nicht zu verstecken brauchen.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: Mai 16, 2008, 09:30:36 »

Bruno Santos wins All-Wildcard Billabong Pro Tahiti Final

Photo: Bruno Santos takes a victory lap through the channel after winning the Billabong Pro Tahiti.

TEAHUPOO, Tahiti (Thursday, May 15, 2008) – Brazilian wildcard Bruno Santos has defeated local wildcard Manoa Drollet (PYF) to win the Billabong Pro Tahiti and become the first Brazilian to win an ASP World Tour event in five years.

“I’m really happy, my dreams just came true,” Santos said. “Today is not the perfect day to surf the final, but I don’t care I’m still happy. It’s still the best day of my life.”

Santos, who earned his spot in the Billabong Pro Tahiti with a runner-up finish in the Air Tahiti Nui VonZipper Trials held prior to the main event, got the better of local Teahupoo specialist Drollet in their low scoring affair. Santos beat Drollet 9.16 to 6.83 on a borrowed surfboard in inconsistent three-foot (one metre) waves.

“I got two little barrels and then there were no more waves, I don’t know, maybe Mother Nature was trying to help me,” Santos said. “Today is so small and my 6’3 was too big so I borrowed a board from a French guy in the channel. He saved my life, I want to keep the board.”

Santos defeated last year’s World No. 1 Mick Fanning (AUS), World No. 2 Taj Burrow and 2001 ASP World Champion C.J. Hobgood (USA), among others, en route to his victory.

“I’ve surfed more than 10 heats if you count the trials,” Santos said, “The waves in the trials were so perfect and I have surfed the best barrels of my life in this event. I got injured in the trials and had to get 15 stitches and not surf for 15 days. My first heat back was the one against Mick Fanning that I won in the last minute so I knew from then that luck was on my side.”

The Billabong Pro Tahiti was the eighth ASP World Tour event for both Santos and Drollet – both surfers have enjoyed multiple wildcards into Pipeline and Teahupoo events among others.

The last Brazilian to win an ASP World Tour event was Neco Padaratz in France in 2003.

Drollet’s best result previous to today, was a semifinal showing at Teahupoo in 1999. He is widely regarded as one of the best surfers at Teahupoo but conditions in the Final weren’t exactly the big hollow barrels he is used to surfing.

“The waves were small but they were small for him too,” Drollet said. “He did better in the final and he deserved to win. Getting so close to winning the event gets you nervous and there were not many waves. Bruno was putting pressure on me and he had priority. I was paying more attention to him than the waves. I let him take that first one which was a big mistake –  he won there.”

Drollet beat World No. 1 Kelly Slater and earned two perfect 10s in the Billabong Pro Tahiti but victory at home eluded him.

“Before the final I said to myself, ’it doesn’t matter if I win the final because I have had such a good event and surfed so many amazing heats, I shouldn’t put pressure myself to win,’” Drollet said. “If I don’t win, it’s still a good day of surfing and in the end that is all that matters. I would have loved to have won though. It won’t be easy to ever make it that far again – I think I got quite lucky to get the waves I got in this event.”

Drollet beat Joel Parkinson (AUS) 18.33 to 10.27 in the semifinals – the same heat in which he earned the second of his perfect 10 point rides. Parkinson caught four waves to Drollet’s eight.

“The swell was definitely dying so I was trying to be selective,” Parkinson said. “I still thought I could get a 10.00, anything is possible, but there was only one other wave that came through, right through the inside, and I was up the top with priority. Manoa got it and got an 8.00. I’m stoked I got a third and good for Manoa, it takes the points away, so that’s a good thing.”

Parkinson moves to World No. 2 behind Slater with the result. Behind him, Bede Durbidge (AUS), Andy Irons (HAW) and Mick Fanning (AUS) sit in third, fourth and fifth respectively.

Former winner C.J. Hobgood suffered a similar fate to Parkinson when he lost to Santos 8.67 to 14.34.

“If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t change a thing,” Hobgood said. “Fifteen minutes left, I had priority and I needed a six so I sat there. If you did that again, nine times out of 10 a wave would come in. A wave didn’t break for 15 minutes. Yea, I’m bummed and I wanted to break my board into a million pieces and kick and scream and cry, but I’m just going to smile.”

Hobgood moves to World No. 12 with the result, but after opening the season with two equal 17th showings, was hoping for more. The fact that ratings points for 1st and 2nd place weren’t doled out since the wildcards aren’t rated surfers was of little consolation for him.

“Two wildcards in the final, if you are Kelly Slater you are laughing,” Hobgood said. “But if you’re the rest of us, it’s a missed opportunity.”

The World’s Top 45 surfers will have another opportunity to earn points when they head to Fiji for Stop No. 4 on the ASP World Tour next week.

Visit www.aspworldtour.com and www.billabongpro.com for additional information.

Billabong Pro Tahiti Final Results:

Final: Bruno Santos (BRA) 9.16 def. Manoa Drollet (PYF) 6.83

Billabong Pro Tahiti Semifinal Results:

Heat 1: Manoa Drollet (PYF) 18.33 def. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 10.27

Heat 2: Bruno Santos (BRA) 14.34 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 8.67

Billabong Pro Tahiti Quarterfinal Results:

Heat 1: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 16.33 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 6.14

Heat 2: Manoa Drollet (PYF) 17.84 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 9.83

Heat 3: Bruno Santos (BRA) 9.83 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 9.07

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 15.00 def. Bruce Irons (HAW) 10.16

Billabong Pro Tahiti Round 4 Results:

Heat 1: Andy Irons (HAW) 18.93 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 13.26