Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 09, 2024, 17:55:32
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: O'Neill Highland Open (WQS)  (Gelesen 9161 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
O'Neill Highland Open (WQS)
« am: April 27, 2008, 19:24:29 »

In Schottland laufen die Highland Open, das sagt der Press-Release:

The O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch
2008 ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Prime Event
2008 ASP European Pro Surf Tour Stop No. 3 of 13 
Thurso - Scotland
April 23-30, 2008

Kimmins Leads Late Afternoon Action at the O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch

Photo above: Clint Kimmins (AUS), best scorer of a short day of action at Brims

THURSO, Brims Ness, Scotland (Saturday, April 26, 2008) – Day four of the O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch got underway at 6 PM today, after surfers and officials decided to take advantage of the wind blown three foot (one meter) waves at Brims Ness. The expected push in the swell showed up during last heat and swell charts are promissing for tomorrow.

Clint Kimmins (AUS), 24, was the first winner in today’s late afternoon tricky conditions and found enough potential to post an 8.00 point ride halfway through Heat 16 and join the top seeded surfers in  tomorrow’s battles. Kimmins, who has been a World Qualifying Series (WQS) surfer for three years, bested Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY), both advancing to Round 2.

“It was definitely a good call to get us out there and restart the event,” Kimmins said. “People are stressing with all this time waiting but at the end of the day, all we do is hang around with mates and have coffee and relax. It is part of the sport and I am glad I got this win.”

Kimmins put on a show and ended winning with a solid 14.67 point heat tally (out of possible 20), eliminating former ASP European Pro Surf Tour champion Patrick Beven (FRA).

“It was a bit of luck out there,” Kimmins said. “I got one of the best waves of the heat and surfed it well. Actually the conditions got better in the end and I am stoked to make it out of this tricky day.”

Sunny Garcia (HAW), 2000 ASP World Champion, won his first O’Neill Highland Open heat to secure his spot among the event’s top surfers, keeping his requalifying hopes alive. Garcia, who has had two good results in a row in Margaret River and Durban’s ASP WQS 6-Star Prime events, is a potential winner in Scotland.

“It was definitely contestable and I got one of the best waves in the heat,” Garcia said. “It was not good quality surf but plenty waves came through and it was comfortable enough for four of us out there.”

Garcia, 38, who is looking to requalify for the ASP World Tour this year, was in good form and bested David Richards (ZAF) with a 14.33 point heat result to advance.

“The water is really cold but these O’Neill wetsuits make it a lot easier,” Garcia said. “I am stoked I got this done today and will not be first out tomorrow at six when things get underway.”

Five heats were held today, Justin McBride (USA), Blake Wilson (AUS) and Warwick Wright (ZAF)  all winning their battles before sunset. Round 1 will finish tomorrow and Round 2 will run entirely for a 28 heat day. The forecast shows improving conditions for the last four days of the waiting period and the 5.30 AM call will have everyone up for an early start. 

All news, videos, and photos are available on www.aspeurope.com

UPCOMING ROUND 1 HEATS

Heat 21: Romain Laulhe (FRA), Steve Noble (AUS), Dale Lovelock (AUS),  Sam Lamiroy (GBR)
Heat 22: Dion Atkinson (AUS), Micheal Spencer (AUS), Nick White (NZL),  Micheal Marjanovich (AUS)
Heat 23: Renato Galvao (BRA), Sam Page (AUS), Frederic Robin (REU),  Thomas Bady (FRA)
Heat 24: Chris Davidson (AUS), Brad Ettinger (USA), Brandon Jackson (ZAF)

ROUND 1 RESULTS

Heat 1: Jean Sebastien Estienne (GLP) 14.00 pts, Felix Messias (BRA) 8.07 pts, Mark Cameron (SCO) 4.60 pts, Dave Mailman (USA) 1.30 pts
Heat 2: Reubin Pearce (ZAF) 14.83 pts, Anthony Petruso (USA) 13.70 pts, Tom Wimmer (AUS) 10.43 pts, Luke Cheadle (AUS) 7.66 pts
Heat 3: Alain Riou (PYF) 10.50 pts, Blake Howard (USA) 6.79 pts, Alfo Scavone (ITA) 6.20 pts, Gavin Roberts (ZAF) 3.22 pts,
Heat 4: Hank Gaskell (HAW) 16.17 pts,  Austin Ware (USA) 9.33 pts, :Miguel Ximenez (PRT) 5.87 pts, Thomas Petriken (USA) 3.54 pts
Heat 5: Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 12.70 pts, Jorge Spanner (BRA) 12.16 pts, Devon Tresher (USA) 9.00 pts
Heat 6: Luke Campbell (AUS) 11.56 pts, Joe Tanaka (JPN) 9.80 pts, Justin Mujica (PRT) 9.67 pts
Heat 7: Blake Thornton (AUS) 16.44 pts, Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 9.50 pts, Yujiro Tsuji  (JPN) 4.24 pts, Charlie Carroll (HAW) 3.80 pts
Heat 8: Yadin Nicol (AUS) 16.50 pts, Jay Quinn (NZL) 13.23 pts, Izuki Tanaka (JPN) 13.07 pts, Dustin  Willmann (USA) 4.20 pts
Heat 9: Abdel El Harim (MAR) 9.90 pts, Fergal Smith (IRE) 4.40 pts, Josh Hughues (GBR) 4.33 pts
Heat 10: Kevin Sullivan (HAW) 12.50 pts, Gavin Gillette (HAW) 10.50 pts, Simon Marchand  (FRA) 10.07 pts, Tamayo Perry (HAW) 4.67 pts
Heat 11: Antonio Bortoletto  (ZAF) 8.66 pts, Jack Perry (AUS) 8.50 pts, Masatoshi Ohno (JPN) 7.43 pts, Txaber Trojaola (EUK) 5.07 pts
Heat 12: Mason Ho (HAW) 12.23 pts, Milton Morbeck (BRA) 10.20 pts, Joao Guedes (PRT) 9.40 pts
Heat 13: Fabio Gouveia (BRA) 16.67 pts, Nathaniel Curran (USA) 12.67 pts, Eric De Souza (BRA) No Show
Heat 14: Ruben Gonzalez (PRT) 11.33 pts, Hugo Savalli (REU) 10.07 pts, Federico Pilurzu (CRI) 9.33 pts
Heat 15: Eric Geiselmann (USA) 12.17 pts, Darren Turner  (AUS) 11.17 pts, Nathan Carroll (HAW) 7.83 pts, Oli Adams (GBR) 6.57 pts
Heat 16: Clint Kimmins  (AUS) 14.67 pts, Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY) 13.50 pts, Patrick Beven (FRA) 8.84 pts, Alan Stokes (GBR) 7.03 pts
Heat 17: Sunny Garcia (HAW) 14.33 pts, David Richards  (ZAF) 10.44 pts, Tim Taplin (AUS) 9.50 pts, Shaun Burrell (USA) 6.20 pts
Heat 18: Blake Wilson (AUS) 12.33 pts, Wesley De Souza (USA) 9.33 pts, Kevin Kapsky  (HAW) 5.83 pts, Johnny Fryer (GBR) 5.00 pts
Heat 19: Justin McBride (USA) 11.40 pts, Rowan Aish (NZL) 10.14 pts, Paul Fisher (AUS) 9.13 pts
Heat 20: Warwick Wright (ZAF) 13.66 pts, Vincent Duvignac (FRA) 8.33 pts, Matt King (USA) 8.07 pts, Will Hunt (HAW) 4.24 pts

Jens

• Administrator
Re: O'Neill Highland Open (WQS)
« Antwort #1 am: April 29, 2008, 08:48:19 »

Thurso - Scotland
April 23-30 2008

Radical Scottish Weather Tests Last 48 Surfers at O'Neill Highland Open Day 6

Photo above: Tim Boal (FRA) was eliminated in Round 3 today, in one of the coldest days of the O'Neill Highland Open by Swatch

THURSO, Brims Ness, Scotland (Monday, April 28, 2008) – The remaining 48 surfers of the O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch experienced typical Scottish weather today, battling it out for a Round 4 ticket in wind-blown three foot (one meter) waves at Brims Ness.

Today’s main upset came with the elimination of Nathan Hedge (AUS), defending Highland Open champion, who lost to Nic Muscroft (AUS) and Rhys Bombaci (AUS) in Heat 7.

Josh Kerr (Gold Coast, AUS), 24, who failed to requalify for the ASP World Tour in 2007, dominated Heat 2 with his custom-made flying turns posting an excellent 16.66 point heat score (out of possible 20), best of the day and second best of the event.

“The waves were really harder than I thought,” Kerr said. “I thought it was going to be fun and I was really surprised when I got there because the swell direction changed. The wave was not breaking where I expected it to break but I am stoked to make it.”   

Hugo Savalli (REU), who placed 5th in the ASP WQS 4-Star event in France two weeks ago, won Heat 8 ahead of Eric Geiselman (USA) defeating former ASP World Tour surfer Yuri Sodre (BRA).

“It was not that much fun out there,” Savalli said. “I got one long wave and did a couple of turns so I am stoked to make that heat actually. It is a lot more fun to end up winning this one than surfing it!”

Savalli, who went through a couple of heats in Margaret River and made the quarterfinals in France, is on a good roll and will be surfing against Nic Muscroft (AUS) and 2006 O’Neill Highland Open runner-up Bernardo Miranda (BRA).

Gony Zubizarreta (ESP) flew the Spanish flag today and advanced in the tricky conditions, besting Marlon Lipke (DEU) to finish second behind current WQS top surfer David Weare (ZAF). Zubizarreta, a former amateur Junior World Champion, was of one of six Europeans out of 12 to advance. 

“It was a tough heat out there and the waves were really hard to catch,” Zubizarreta said. “The wind made the faces of the waves bumpy and it was not an easy time. I was more surfing against the elements than against my opponents.” 

Zubizarreta, who secures his best result of the year so far by reaching Round 4, will face ASP World Tour rookie Jay Thompson (AUS) and Glenn Hall (IRE) when competition resumes.

The European contingent lost two of its top representatives today, both Tim Boal (FRA) and Tiago Pires (PRT) bowing out of the Highland Open in Round 3.

Pires, one of four Europeans currently among the ASP Top 45, was eliminated in the dying seconds of Heat 3 by fellow Euro surfer Joan Duru (FRA). Pires, who has had a tough start on the Dream Tour,  placed 3rd in Durban last week but failed at Brims and leaves Scotland with 1050 points counting for the World Qualifying Series (WQS) ratings.

The O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch is getting closer to its business end. The waiting period runs until Wednesday April 30 and 23 heats remain before we crown the 2008 Highlander. There will be 24 men paddling out when competition resumes tomorrow and better weather and waves are expected.

UPCOMING ROUND 4 HEATS

Heat 1: Adam Robertson (AUS), Josh Kerr (AUS), Joan Duru (FRA)
Heat 2: Austin Ware (USA), Jean Da Silva (BRA), Matt Wilkinson (AUS)
Heat 3: Jay Thompson (AUS), Glenn Hall (IRE), Gony Zubizarreta (ESP)
Heat 4: Yadin Nicol (AUS), Kevin Sullivan (HAW), David Weare (ZAF)
Heat 5: Nic Muscroft (AUS), Hugo Savalli (REU), Bernardo Miranda (BRA)
Heat 6: Rhys Bombaci (AUS), Eric Geiselman (USA), Michel Bourez (PYF)
Heat 7: Sunny Garcia (HAW), Renato Galvao (BRA), Adam Melling (AUS)
Heat 8: Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY), Drew Courtney (AUS), Dion Atkinson (AUS)

ROUND 3 RESULTS

Heat 1: Adam Robertson (AUS) 14.83 pts, Austin Ware (AUS) 10.67 pts, Hank Gaskell (HAW) 8.87 pts, Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF) 7.97 pts
Heat 2: Josh Kerr (AUS) 16.66 pts, Jean Da Silva (BRA) 15.43 pts, Tim Boal (FRA) 11.67 pts, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 9.90 pts
Heat 3: Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 15.50 pts, Joan Duru (FRA) 11.30 pts, Tiago Pires (PRT) 10.80 pts, Pedro Henrique (BRA) 8.67 pts
Heat 4: Jay Thompson (AUS) 12.60 pts, Yadin Nicol (AUS) 12.17 pts, Jay Quinn (NZL) 9.00 pts, TJ Barron (HAW) 8.43 pts
Heat 5: Glenn Hall (IRE) 11.00 pts, Kevin Sullivan (HAW) 9.26 pts, Nathan Yeomans (USA) 8.06 pts, Christophe Allary (REU) 6.03 pts
Heat 6: David Weare (ZAF) 13.17 pts, Gony Zubizarreta (ESP) 11.44 pts, Marlon Lipke (DEU) 8.80 pts, Jack Perry (AUS) 8.50 pts
Heat 7: Nic Muscroft (AUS) 12.66 pts, Rhys Bombaci (AUS) 12.07 pts, Greg Emslie (ZAF) 11.47 pts, Nathan Hedge (AUS) 9.16 pts
Heat 8: Hugo Savalli (REU) 9.40 pts, Eric Geiselman (USA) 8.47 pts, Darren Turner (AUS) 5.93 pts, Yuri Sodre (BRA) 5.10 pts
Heat 9: Michel Bourez (PYF) 15.44 pts, Bernardo Miranda (BRA) 9.70 pts, Corey Ziems (AUS) 9.33 pts, Brett Simpson (USA) 8.34 pts
Heat 10: Sunny Garcia (HAW) 13.50 pts, Johnathan Gonzalez (CNY) 10.80 pts, Warwick Wright (ZAF) 10.20 pts, Blake Wilson (AUS) 9.83 pts
Heat 11: Renato Galvao (BRA) 13.00 pts, Drew Courtney (AUS) 8.70 pts, Darren O’Rafferty (AUS) 7.40, Chris Davidson (AUS) 6.50 pts
Heat 12: Dion Atkinson (AUS) 12.83 pts, Adam Melling (AUS) 7.83 pts, Russell Winter (GBR) 4.93 pts, Sam Lamiroy (GBR) 4.53 pts

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #2 am: April 29, 2008, 09:58:22 »

übrigens die mieseste contest seite ever...total verspielt/verflasht und zu allem übel bekommen die keine webcast hin.

Leider ist marlon auch raus ...

Tom

• Global Moderator
« Antwort #3 am: April 29, 2008, 12:32:49 »

jo, und dann funktioniert das ganze geflashe auch nicht richtig :(

Börni

• Börni "Moses"
  • Global Moderator
  • If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
    • Nordsurf-Syndikat
« Antwort #4 am: April 29, 2008, 13:44:43 »

Stimme Euch zu!!! ;D ;D ;D

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: April 30, 2008, 09:06:11 »

Thurso - Scotland
April 23-30, 2008

Robertson Crowned 2008 O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch Champion at Thurso East

Photo above: Adam Robertson (AUS) is the 2008 O'Neill Highland Open by Swatch Champion

THURSO, Thurso East, Scotland (Tuesday, April 29, 2008) – Adam Robertson (Victoria, AUS) became the third O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch Champion today, coming victorious after another 23-heat marathon day. Robertson, who surfed through five heats to eventually clinch the prestigious Highlander sword trophy, defeated Adam Melling (Gold Coast, AUS) in glassy three foot (one meter) waves at the world class venue of Thurso East.

Robertson was crowned at the famous righthander where it all started two years ago, and dominated the consistent three to five foot (1 to 1.5 meter) waves to win his maiden ASP WQS 6-Star Prime event. Posting a solid 14.50 point heat score to best Melling’s 11.50 tally (both out of possible 20), Robertson raised the Highlander’s sword in front of a cheering Australian contingent.

“It is the best day of my life,” Robertson said. “I could not wait to raise that sword, it is like a dream coming true for me... I cannot belive it. Compared to Brims Ness’ Bowl, it was more comfortable and I had more time and space to surf my best today.”

Robertson, 26, who has had a slow start this year, secures precious 3 000 points counting for the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Qualifying Series (WQS) ratings.

“I have had a tough start this year,” Robertson said. “I feel like confidence came heat after heat . Such a big relief to take this one home, so stoked.”

Melling, who defeated top European WQS campaigner Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY) and 2000 ASP World Champion Sunny Garcia (HAW) on today, was stopped in the final of the Highland Open, still getting the best result of his career as well.

“I’ve been doing well here in the past couple of years and I really love the waves,” Melling said. “Pretty stoked with this result, it is a big step on the ratings and this one gives me a lot of confidence to push it further this year. I was stoked to surf against Adam and he just got the better set waves and deserves to take the win.”

Hugo Savalli (REU), 25, was the best European of the O’Neill Highland Open reaching semifinal No. 2 where he was defeated by Melling. Savalli, who faced an on-fire Melling, missed his final’s ticket by 0.64 points in the last five seconds of the heat but leaves Scotland with his best result ever.

“I did all I could in that heat but Adam (Melling) got this last-second ride,” Savalli said. “This is the best result of my career so I could not expect anything better in such a big event.”

Savalli, who reached Round 4 in Australia and made the quarterfinals in France, will be a serious contender among the top WQS surfers from now on.

“I have been training hard and differently since the beginning of the year and it seems to work well,” Savalli said. “Everyone has been supporting me here and I am just stoked to get this result and fly the European flag.”

David Weare (ZAF) placed equal 3rd in the Highland Open today, posting a second excellent result back to back after his recent win in Durban 6-Star Prime event. Weare, a former ASP Top 45 surfer, clinched 5250 ratings’ points in the last two events and already sits as a favorite for a spot in next year’s Dream Tour.

“It was a really close heat and one wave made the difference again,” Weare said. “Priorities play a major part in man-on-man heats and Adam (Robertson) got the ultimate better wave to make it. It has been a really successful trip to Scotland for me and it is a very good result. I will be back for sure.”

Sunny Garcia (HAW), 38, secured another excellent result today with his equal 5th place. Garcia, 2000 ASP World Champion, got through five rounds before losing to Adam Melling (AUS) in Quarterfinal No. 4.

“I knew it was a good wave and I am happy with this result,” Garcia said. “Fifth is good but I am still wanted to win. The waves earlier were suiting my surfing more but the drop of the swell made too difficult.”

Garcia, who is sitting in WQS Top 20 at the moment, secured precious points under his belt towards his ASP World Tour requalification campaign.

“I feel like it is makable for me right now,” Garcia said. “I know it is not going to be easy but I am going to train during this month break before the Maldives and I will more prepared for the smaller waves.”

The 2008 O’Neill Highland Open by Swatch went from classic six foot (two meter) Brims Ness to clean glassy Thurso East, taking the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) world’s best qualifiers to Scotland’s best cold water North shore waves.

FINAL
Heat 1: Adam Robertson (AUS) 14.00 pts Def. Adam Melling (AUS) 11.50 pts

SEMIFINAL
Heat 1: Adam Robertson (AUS) 10.24 pts Def. David Weare (ZAF) 7.56 pts
Heat 2: Adam Melling (AUS) 10.97 pts Def. Hugo Savalli (REU) 10.33 pts

QUARTERFINALS
Heat 1: Adam Robertson (AUS) 16.00 pts Def. Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 10.77 pts
Heat 2: David Weare (ZAF) 9.83 pts Def. Yadin Nicol (AUS) 4.60 pts
Heat 3: Hugo Savalli (REU) 12.50 pts Def. Michel Bourez (PYF) 11.74 pts
Heat 4: Adam Melling (AUS) 8.67 pts Def. Sunny Garcia (HAW) 5.83 pts