Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 11, 2024, 20:50:34
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: WQS Ripcurl Pro Seignosse  (Gelesen 9768 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
WQS Ripcurl Pro Seignosse
« am: August 19, 2008, 09:15:59 »

Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite
ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Prime
ASP WQS European Series Stop No. 7 of 13
Hossegor/Seignosse, France
18-24 August 2008

Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite Kicks Off with Big Scores and Excellent Surfing in France

Photo: Jadson Andre (BRA) posted an impressive 18.40 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) in Round 1 and made his intentions clear before facing top seeds tomorrow

SEIGNOSSE, France (Monday, August 18, 2008) – The Rip Curl Pro Hossegor/Seignosse presented by Sprite got underway today at the world famous beachbreak of Les Bourdaines, main venue of the 2008 edition. The Rip Curl Pro, an Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Prime event, got twenty heats of Round 1 out of the way in good quality three foot (one meter) waves despite the light on-shore winds blowing over Seignosse.

Several heats featured big scores and great performances for the kick off of the prestigious Rip Curl Pro, fifth of eight only ASP Prime rated events this year. With more points than usual 6-Star events counting towards the end-of-the-year ratings, all Round 1 surfers went big today not losing any time to set the pace and make intentions clear.

Jadson Andre (BRA), currently on the rise among the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) campaigners, was the man of the day winning Heat 9 over European soldiers Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY) and Miguel Ximenes (PRT) with an impressive 18.40 point heat tally (out of a possible 20).

"The waves were tricky out there and I just looked for better potential ones," Andre said. "It kind of came my way then I tried to get a couple of big airs and completed them so it gave me some big scores."

Andre, who got in the spotlights in the ASP WQS 6-Star in Japan last month, is slowly rising with his impressive progressive and fast surfing and will be a potential giant killer when Round 2 resumes.

"I had a good result in Japan and it boosted my confidence pretty good," Andre said. "This event is a Prime one and there are many points to grab so I hope I can get things going well tomorrow."

Andre, who will face ratings’ Top 15 member Yadin Nicol (AUS) and fellow Brazilian Odirlei Countinho (BRA), was not the only one to impress the ASP judges and several European surfers including local competitor and former ASP European Junior champion Joan Duru (FRA) were among those advancing today.

Joan Duru (FRA), 19, came up with excellent power surfing in Heat 10 to advance in first position with ASP European WQS ratings’ No. 2 Romain Laulhe (FRA) and secure a spot in Round 2, the top seeds’ round.

"I was a bit stressed before that heat but once in the water I just let go," Duru said. "I was feeling comfortable and the waves were fun so I just pushed my turns really hard. I have been surfing some really good boards that bring me enough speed so I am trying to get airs and radical manuevers."

Duru, currently rated No. 62 on the ASP WQS, has had two big results on tour this year including an equal 9th in the ASP WQS 6-Star Prime event in Scotland and will be looking to grab more points in front of his home crowd this week.

"I really want to make as far as possible here," Duru said. "When you compete at home you just feel relaxed and you get boosted by the public and cheerings. It really makes a big difference."

Duru joins fellow French representatives Romain Cloitre (REU), Tim Boal (FRA), Miky Picon (FRA) and Michel Bourez (PYF) in Round 2.

Placing second to Duru was current ASP European WQS No. 2 Romain Laulhe (FRA). Laulhe, 23, who placed equal 17th in 2007 here at Les Bourdaines, managed to best Shaun Burrell (USA) and Clint Kimmins (AUS) and will have another chance to shine tomorrow.

“I was kind of shaky before that heat because I really want to do good here,” Laulhe said. “I have had several good results here and I wanted to get through that one. Clint (Kimmins) and Shaun (Burrell) are excellent surfers and it was not an easy one.”

Laulhe, who won the ASP WQS 4-Star in France last April, placed equal 25th in the Lacanau last week and seems back in good form after several shoker Round 1 eliminations in Durban,  Huntington Beach and Newquay.

“It has been good this year but I just need to get more consistency,” Laulhe said. “It is tough to travel all year and remain in top form at every event you go but you have to step up and keep the flow. I hope I can have a good one in that 6-Star Prime.”

The Rip Curl Pro gathers the world’s best surfers including eleven elite ASP World Tour surfers and all current WQS ratings’ leaders. Remaining Round 1 competitors will meet at 7.15 AM (GMT+2) at Seignosse. Some massive six to eight foot (2 to 2.5 meter) waves are expected to come through the night and officials for conditions to remain contestable.

The Rip Curl Pro is webcast LIVE at www.ripcurl.com, www.aspworldtour.com and www.aspeurope.com

ROUND 1 RESULTS
Heat 1: Jarrad Sullivan (AUS) 16.00 pts, William Cardoso (BRA) 11.07 pts, Patrick Beven (FRA) 10.33 pts, Medi Veminardi (REU) 9.93 pts
Heat 2: Brent Dorrington (AUS) 16.74 pts, Bernardo Lopes (BRA) 14.40 pts, Txaber Trojaola (EUK) 10.97 pts, Leandro Bastos (BRA) 10.54 pts
Heat 3: Ben Dunn (AUS) 12.86 pts, Ryan Campbell (AUS) 11.33 pts, Paulo Moura (BRA) 11.20 pts, Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF) 6.40 pts
Heat 4: Travis Logie (ZAF) 15.26 pts, Marlon Lipke (DEU) 11.73 pts, Diego Rosa (BRA) 7.70 pts, David Richards (ZAF) 5.50 pts
Heat 5: Gony Zubizarreta (ESP) 13.50 pts, Russell Winter (GBR) 11.60 pts, Rudy Palmboom (ZAF) 10.94 pts, Robson Santos (BRA) 10.07 pts
Heat 6: Alain Riou (PYF) 15.26 pts, Mason Ho (HAW) 11.60 pts, Bernardo Miranda (BRA) 11.30 pts, Parrish Byrne (AUS) 7.70 pts
Heat 7: Luke Campbell (AUS) 13.84 pts, Brad Ettinger (AUS) 11.07 pts, Antonio Bortoletto (ZAF) 10.86 pts, TJ Barron (HAW) 10.70 pts
Heat 8: Glenn Hall (IRE) 15.53 pts, Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY) 15.00 pts, Kevin Sullivan (HAW) 9.83 pts, Mark Mathews (ZAF) 8.03 pts
Heat 9: Jadson Andre (BRA) 18.40 pts, Paul Fisher (AUS) 14.60 pts, Miguel Ximenez (PRT) 12.93 pts, Jose Maria Cabrera (CNY) 8.20 pts
Heat 10 : Joan Duru (FRA) 15.23 pts, Romain laulhe (FRA) 14.77 pts, Clint Kimmins (AUS) 11.60 pts, Shaun Burrell (USA) 10.60 pts
Heat 11 : Corey Ziems (AUS) 14.50 pts, Guilherme Herdy (BRA) 10.97 pts, Justin McBride (USA) 10.83 pts, Wiggoly Dantas (BRA) 9.17 pts
Heat 12 : Dustin Cuizon (HAW) 15.77 pts, Abdel El Harim (HAW) 12.00 pts, Charles Martin (GLP) 9.40 pts, Gavin Gillette (HAW) 7.60 pts pts
Heat 13: Jean Seb Estienne (BLM) 15.50 pts, Joel Centeio (HAW) 12.30 pts, Jay Quinn (NZL) 11.90 pts, Dale Lovelock (AUS) 9.17 pts
Heat 14: Brian Toth (PRI) 15.00 pts, Blake Wilson (AUS) 12.46 pts, Micheal Spencer (AUS) 11.17 pts, Dunga Neto (BRA) 9.53 pts
Heat 15: Eric Rebiere (FRA) 16.00 pts, Phillip MacDonald (AUS) 13.04 pts, Danilo Costa (BRA) 9.90 pts, Bruno Santos (BRA) 5.90 pts
Heat 16: Hugo Savalli (REU) 15.33 pts, Anthony Petruso (USA) 12.10 pts, Bobby Hansen (NZL) 9.67 pts, Brandon Jackson (ZAF) 6.74 pts
Heat 17: Charlie Brown (BRA) 15.93 pts, Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 12.80 pts, Eneko Acero (EUK) 9.60 pts, Dane Gudauskas (USA) 7.47 pts
Heat 18: Makuakai Rothman (HAW) 13.67 pts, Luke Cheadle (AUS) 12.86 pts, Renato Galvao (BRA) 9.40 pts, Steve Noble (AUS) 7.93 pts
Heat 19: Masatoshi Ohno (JPN) 15.83 pts, Ruben Gonzalez (PRT) 11.37 pts, Hodei Collazo (EUK) 8.27 pts, Christophe Allary (REU) 6.07 pts
Heat 20: Che Stang (USA) 15.33 pts, Flynn Novak (HAW) 11.44 pts, Andre Silva (BRA) 10.94 pts, Jack Perry (AUS) 10.57 pts

REMAINING ROUND 1 HEATS
Heat 21: Mike Losness (USA), Sam Page (AUS), Marco Polo (BRA), Joao Guedes (PRT)
Heat 22: Shaun Ward (USA), Sterling Spencer (USA), Federico Pilurzu (CRI), Vincent Duvignac (FRA)
Heat 23: Jean Da Silva (BRA), Blake Thornton (AUS), Gilmar Silva (BRA), Fabio Gouveia (BRA)
Heat 24: Dion Atkinson (AUS), Chris Waring (USA), Gavin Roberts (ZAF), Adam Virs (USA)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: WQS Ripcurl Pro Seignosse
« Antwort #1 am: August 19, 2008, 09:41:02 »

18-24 August 2008

Uncontestable Conditions and Damage Force Organisers to Call Rip Curl Pro Off

Photo: Rip Curl Pro contest director Gerard d'Avezac witnessing the damage caused by the massive swell before calling the event OFF until tomorrow 7.15 AM

SEIGNOSSE, France (Tuesday, August 19, 2008) – The expected push in the swell definitely happened during the night and some massive all-over-the-place eight to nine foot (2.5 to 3 meter) white water mountains are breaking at Les Bourdaines in Seignosse, main venue of the Rip Curl Pro presented by Sprite

The huge swell washed away the mobile tower during the night and water came all the way up to the dunes behind the event site, and it will be a long day of hard work fixing all the damage.

Weather and swell forecasts show a promissing change from tomorrow and the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Prime event should be back ON tomorrow morning in solid but clean six foot (2 meter) waves, off-shore winds supposed to be blowing the next couple of days as well.

Four heats remain to complete Round 1 and top seeds, including former ASP World Champion Sunny Garcia (HAW), current ASP WQS ratings' leader Nathaniel Curran (USA) and top European representatives Miky Picon (FRA), Aritz Aranburu (EUK) and Tiago Pires (PRT), should be paddling out with the contest rashguard on tomorrow.

All competitors and officials will meet at 7.15 AM tomorrow Wednesday, August 20, to assess conditions and hopefully get things going.

The Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite is one of eight ASP WQS 6-Star Prime rated events on tour and rewards more ratings' points counting towards the end-of-the-year ratings and a possible ASP World Tour qualification.

The Rip Curl Pro is webcast LIVE at www.ripcurl.com, www.aspworldtour.com and www.aspeurope.com

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: August 21, 2008, 09:07:34 »

18-24 August 2008

Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite Wraps up Round 1, Top Seeds to Surf Tomorrow

Photo: Shaun Ward (USA) advanced through to Round 2 this morning taming the solid sets on offer at the famous venue of Les Bourdaines in Seignosse

SEIGNOSSE, France (Wednesday, August 20, 2008) – It was a short day of competition on Day 3 of the waiting period of the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite as four heats only were done this morning getting the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Prime event to its second round.

Dion Atkinson (AUS), 22, runner up in the ASP WQS 6-Star event in Lacanau and WQS No. 18 before coming to Hoseegor, was in top form in Heat 24 of Round 1 finding his way out of the tricky testing six to eight foot (2 to 2.5 meter) waves on offer to advance through to Round 2.

Atkinson, who posted an impressive 17.33 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) dominated his battle and will meet some serious opponents when Round 2 resumes including ASP World Tour surfer Neco Padaratz (BRA), Australia’s wonderkid and Rip Curl wild card Owen Wright and Jean Da Silva (BRA).

“It was pretty fun down there,” Atkinson said. “I am in a very good shape since the Lacanau Pro last week. I just tried to surf my best in these messy conditions today and it worked out well. I had a few good waves so I am stoked I got through.”

Atkinson, who secured his best result to date in Lacanau, nows stands as a favorite among the world’s best qualifiers.

“I am not thinking of any ratings,” Atkinson said. “I am still young and it is still a long way to the end of the year so I am not worrying about the qualification yet. I just want to have fun and keep surfing good.”

Also advancing today was French talented rising competitor Vincent Duvignac (FRA) who managed to get away with a win ahead Shaun Ward (USA) and secure his ticket for another heat against top seeds Drew Courtney (AUS), Rhys Bombaci (AUS) and Marco Polo (BRA).

“It was pretty testing out there and I am stoked I found that big score,” Duvignac said. “I feel at home here so it is good to get a heat out of the way and get another chance in the event.”

Mike Losness (USA), who surfed first heat this morning coming straight from his excellent equal 3rd place in Lacanau last sunday, was able to get the pressure off him and secured another win. Losness, who sits No. 43 on the international ratings at the moment, was an outsider in Lacanau but has become the “Giant Killer” and will face a serious resistance when he comes up against current Top 5 WQS member Patrick Gudauskas (USA) and former ASP World Tour surfer Yuri Sodre (BRA).

The messy waves and strong currents forced organisers to put the event on hold after assessing conditions and all Round 2 surfers will meet at 7.15 AM tomorrow to get the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite under pressure with the hottest action in the some of the world’s best beachbreaks.

UPCOMING ROUND 2 HEATS
Heat 1: Mick Campbell (AUS), Aritz Aranburu (EUK), Jarrad Sullivan (AUS), Bernardo Lopes (BRA)
Heat 2: Leigh Sedley (AUS), Shaun Gossmann (AUS), William Cardoso (BRA), Brent Dorrington (AUS)
Heat 3: Hizunome Bettero (BRA), Tiago Pires (BRA), Ben Dunn (AUS), Marlon Lipke (DEU)
Heat 4: Pablo Paulino (BRA), Kirk Flintoff (AUS), Ryan Campbell (AUS), Travis Logie (ZAF)
Heat 5: Nathaniel Curran (USA), Romain Cloitre (REU), Gony Zubizarreta (ESP), Mason Ho (HAW)
Heat 6: Brett Simpson (USA), Dustin Barca (HAW), Russell Winter (GBR), Alain Riou (PYF)
Heat 7: Tim Boal (FRA), Jihad Khodr (BRA), Luke Campbell (AUS), Jonathan Gonzalez (CNY)
Heat 8: Pedro Henrique (BRA), Warwick Wright (ZAF), Brad Ettinger (USA), Glenn Hall (IRE)
Heat 9: Yadin Nicol (AUS), Odirlei Coutinho (BRA), Jadson Andre (BRA), Romain Laulhe (FRA)
Heat 10: Nathan Yeomans (USA), Simao Romao (BRA), Paul Fisher (AUS), Joan Duru (FRA)
Heat 11: Adam Robertson (AUS), Shaun Cansdell (AUS), Corey Ziems (AUS), Ebdel El Harim (MAR)
Heat 12: Leonardo Neves (BRA), Stuart Kennedy (AUS), Guilherme Herdy (BRA), Dustin Cuizon (HAW)
Heat 13: Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Mikael Picon (FRA), Jean Sebastien Estienne (BLM), Blake Wilson (AUS)
Heat 14: Nic Muscroft (AUS), Adam Melling (AUS), Joel Centeio (HAW), Brian Toth (PRI)
Heat 15: Sunny Garcia (HAW), Nathan Hedge (AUS), Eric Rebiere (FRA), Anthony Petruso (USA)
Heat 16: Greg Emslie (ZAF), Matt Wilkinson (AUS), Phillip MacDonald (AUS), Hugo Savalli (REU)
Heat 17: Chris Davidson (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS), Charlie Brown (BRA), Luke Cheadle (AUS)
Heat 18: Raoni Monteiro (BRA), Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), Tanner Gudauskas (USA), Makuakai Rothman (HAW)
Heat 19: Josh Kerr (AUS), Michel Bourez (PYF), Masatoshi Ohno (JPN), Flynn Novak (HAW)
Heat 20: David Weare (ZAF), Heitor Alves (BRA), Ruben Gonzalez (PRT), Che Stang (USA)
Heat 21: Patrick Gudauskas (USA), Yuri Sodre (BRA), Mike Losness (USA), Shaun Ward (USA)
Heat 22: Drew Courtney (AUS), Rhys Bombaci (AUS), Marco Polo (BRA), Vincent Duvignac (FRA)
Heat 23: Austin Ware (USA), Gabe Kling (USA), Blake Thornton (AUS), Gavin Roberts (ZAF)
Heat 24: Neco Padaratz (BRA), Owen Wright (AUS), Jean Da Silva (BRA), Dion Atkinson (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: August 21, 2008, 22:13:56 »

18-24 August 2008

Sullivan Leads Favorites in Perfect Rip Curl Pro Barrels in France

Photo: Jarrad Sullivan (AUS) posted the score of the day in the opening heat of Day 4, an impressive 18.87 point heat tally (out of a possible 20)

SEIGNOSSE, France (Thursday, August 21, 2008) – Top seeds were greeted with perfect four foot (1.2 meter) barrels and off-shore winds when Round 2 resumed today, Les Bourdaines delivering some of the best conditions of the summer for Day 4 of the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite. The world’s best qualifiers came up with several top performances all day long and the level got one step further as fourty-eight men only remain in contention for the coveted crown.

Jarrad Sullivan (AUS), 24, flew the Australian flag leading the contingent with the result of the day posting an impressive 18.87 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) in the opening battle of Day 4 to advance ahead of Aritz Aranburu (EUK).

"It was really as good as I thought it would be and I am stoked to have my heat early," Sullivan said. "I had a slow start and I was just hoping for the bomb to come to me. I got lucky and I made that barrel."

Sullivan, who was supposed to surf yesterday before the event was called off, was very satisfied with the call.

"We were close to paddling out yesterday but when you see that kind of conditions, I am stoked I surfed this morning," Sullivan said. "I hope we can get similar waves when I paddle back out tomorrow, and it seems like the forecast is pretty good."

The high tide conditions kept firing classic French South West coast tubes and lauching ramps giving Round 2 competitors a great opportunity to push the level to its best. From progressive surfers Brett Simpson (USA) and Kirk Flintoff (AUS) delivering airs and vertical maneuvers to best tube rider of the day Shaun Gossmann (AUS), crowds and competitors enjoyed a perfect morning.

Shaun Cansdell (AUS), former ASP World Tour member and Rip Curl Pro defending champion, was much expected for his start in the 2008 edition and lost no time to make his intentions clear coming up with an excellent 17.33 point heat result (out of a possible 20). Cansdell, who had to face the outgoing tide changing conditions, caught four waves only during the 25-minute decider finishing with a 9.50 point ride.

"I am stoked I got through that heat," Cansdell said. "Compared to this morning it was a whole different story but the outside sand bank is good as well and I just waited for the few better waves."

Cansdell, who spent a couple of years among the ASP Top 45, is chasing a requalification for the Dreamtour and will be a serious contender for a second consecutive crown this year.

The European contingent was not left behind on this classic surfing day. Marlon Lipke (DEU) and Tim Boal (FRA), both rated No. 14 on the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Qualifying Series (WQS) ratings, advanced today with good performances.

Lipke, who placed equal 5th in the Rip Curl Boardmasters earlier this month, unleashed in Heat 3 defeating ASP World Tour surfer Ben Dunn (AUS) and besting fellow European and ASP Top 45 rookie Tiago Pires (PRT).

"I am stoked to be able to surf these conditions," Lipke said. "I got a good start in the heat and I was just ready to go for the better waves. Ben (Dunn) and Tiago (Pires) are already on the ASP World Tour and I had nothing to lose so I just used every option to make this one."

Lipke, who used smart tactics to trap Dunn and push him to comit an interference on an excellent wave, showed great determination to finish ahead of heat favorites in a tricky heat.

"I was not going to let anything go and I paddled out to win and give my best," Lipke said. "Everyone is hungry for points and you have to stay focused and hold fermly to your goal. I am stoked I made it with Tiago (Pires). The guys on the World Tour are an example and things have been changing fast on the European stage."

Lipke, who stands as a potential ASP Top 45 qualifier for 2009, has had a good summer thus far with a 9th in the US Open of Surfing, a 5th in Japan and a 5th in Newquay, will be looking to get back on track after his Round 1 elimination in Lacanau. 

Aritz Aranburu (EUK), Miky Picon (FRA) and reigning ASP European Junior champion Romain Cloitre (REU) were among those advancing today as well, flying the European flag in front of a cheering crowd.

Nathan Hedge (AUS), former ASP Top 45 contender and Rip Curl team rider, pleased his sponsors securing one of the ten best heat scores of the event so far after winning Heat 15 ahead of former ASP World Champion Sunny Garcia (HAW).

"I was pretty pumped and ready to go big during that heat," Hedge said. "I have been here for five days already and I was really looking forward to getting things underway. I am focused badly on requalifying and I am going to put everything into it."

Hedge, who came to the Rip Curl Pro rated No. 35, is chasing a strong result to keep any Dreamtour requalification hopes alive.

"It is still a long way to go before we know who will make it through to the world tour," Hedge said. "I am just trying to surf as good as I can and I thank everyone who believes in me."

Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite will resule at 7.30 AM tomorrow and twenty heats are scheduled. The ASP WQS 6-Star Prime is getting closer to its business end and Man-on-man battles will start from Round 5.

UPCOMING ROUND 3 HEATS
Heat 1 : Jarrad Sullivan (AUS), Shaun Gossmann (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT), Ryan Campbell (AUS)
Heat 2 : Aritz Aramburu (EUK), Brent Dorrington (AUS), Marlon Lipke (DEU), Kirk Flintoff (AUS)
Heat 3 : Romain Cloitre (FRA), Brett Simpson (USA), Tim Boal (FRA), Brad Ettinger (USA)
Heat 4 : Nathaniel Curran (USA), Alain Riou (PYF), Jihad Khodr (BRA), Glenn Hall (IRE)
Heat 5 : Yadin Nicole (AUS), Paul Fisher (AUS), Corey Ziems (AUS), Guilherme Herdy (BRA)
Heat 6 : Jadson Andre (BRA), Joan Duru (FRA), Shaun Cansdell (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA)
Heat 7 : Mikael Picon (FRA), Nic Muscroft (AUS), Sunny Garcia (HAW), Matt Wilkinson (AUS)
Heat 8 : Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), Adam Melling (AUS), Nthan Hedge (AUS), Phillip MacDonald (AUS)
Heat 9 : Chris Davidson (AUS), Tanner Gudauskas (USA), Masatoshi Ohno (JPN), Heitor Alves (BRA)
Heat 10 : Daniel Ross (AUS), Raoni Monteiro (BRA), Josh Kerr (AUS), David Weare (ZAF)
Heat 11 : Yuri Sodre (BRA), Drew Courtney (AUS), Gabe Kling (USA), Neco Padaratz (BRA)
Heat 12 : Patrick Gudauskas (USA), Marco Polo (BRA), Gavin Roberts (ZAF), Owen Wright (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: August 22, 2008, 18:09:35 »

18-24 August 2008

Ratings’ Leaders and Favorites Take Control, Champion To be Crowned Tomorrow

Photo: Yadin Nicol (AUS), current ASP WQS No. 5, en route to another excellent result in the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite

SEIGNOSSE, France (Friday, August 22, 2008) –  It was a day of tension and pressure at the Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite as the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) 6-Star Prime event got closer to its business end in tricky two to three foot (0.5 to 1 meter) waves at Les Bourdaines. Sixteen men only remain in contention for the valuable 3000 ratings’ points going to the winner and the 2008 champion will be crowned tomorrow.

The much expected 3-man clashes of Round 4 got underway as the tide was still going out making the competitors surf the outside sand bank to try and secure the precious ticket for the first Man-on-man battles. It was a nations’ clash at the famous beachbreak and seven  Australians, five Europeans, two Americans and two Brazilians will surf on the final day.

Nathaniel Curran (USA), current ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) leader and recent winner in Lacanau, kept up his domination cruise again reaching the finals of a major event for the fourth consecutive time after Huntington, Japan and Lacanau.

"It was really tough out there with the strong tide change and currents," Curran said. "The sand bank out there was still giving some good enough waves and it was kind of fun. Just so ticky and a bit of a gamble."

Curran, who will improve his overall ratings’ total once more, will surf against local rising star Joan Duru (FRA), with the same board he has been surfing since the US Open of Surfing.

"I am feeling so good riding that board, I will keep it as long as I can," Curran said. "I won in Huntington and Lacanau, got a fifth in Japan and am still in the event here so I will just try as hard again tomorrow."

Curran who has not done worse than a quarterfinal finish in three events, is seen as a favorite again for the crown at Hossegor.

ASP World Tour Europeans Miky Picon (FRA) and Aritz Aranburu (EUK) led the regional contingent with consistency and confidence getting away with the precious Round 5 ticket, joining the biggest ever European crew to meet on a final day of a major ASP event.

Picon, who has had his best year ever on the ASP World Tour thus far, bested Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) to advance behind ASP WQS No. 2 Chris Davidson (AUS) and giving the few crowds on the beach a good time en route to equalling his 2007 result.

"It was really hard out there and I knew it would very tough with the tide change and currents," Picon said. "There were still some waves giving a bit of a potential and I surfed well enough to best Rodrigo (Dornelles)."

Picon, who was the second French man to qualify for the Dream Tour in 2006, has been a leader for the upcoming generation of French and European surfers and will be a serious contender on his homelands.

"If you look at the past couple of years, there has been European surfers at every major event finals," Picon said. "There has been a lot of work, comitment and training as well as and I am not surprised there is a few of us in the finals."

Aritz Aranburu (EUK), 22, a rookie on this year’s ASP World Tour, was the first European to lead the strong contingent through to tomorrow’s finals besting Tim Boal (FRA) and eliminating fellow World Tour member Tiago Pires (PRT). Aranburu, who posted a solid 14.76 point heat result (out of a possible 20), will be first out when competition resumes.

"We know each other very well but when it comes to a heat you want to make it whoever you surf against," Aranburu said. "The conditions changed a lot throughout the day and it was pretty bumpy and messy out there but I found a coupe of good rides. I am very happy to see  many Europeans getting good results in the event."

Aranburu, who missed four of six ASP World Tour events this year due to back-to-back injuries to his meniscus and ankle, will secure his best result this year whatever happens.

"I am feeling really in good form at the moment and it is even better to have friends and family around," Aranburu said. "I am still surfing with a strap around my ankle but I am getting back to my level and it is a great relief."

Aranburu will meet close friend and fellow European top surfer Marlon Lipke (DEU) when Round 5 resumes.

The Brazilian pack was in good form as well today with ... of their representatives taking the best out of the conditions to advance. Jihad Khodr (BRA), currently among the ASP Top 45, advanced through to Round 5 ahead of local rising star and former ASP European Junior champion Joan Duru.

"I am stoked to keep goig in the event," Khodr said. "I love coming here in Hossegor and Seignosse and I am just enjoying my time both in and out of the event. The waves were tricky, it was a struggle but it looks like tomorrow could be a great day so I cannot wait to paddle back out."

Coming from excellent performance in the last ASP WQS 6-Star event in Lacanau, Australians Yadin Nicol and Josh Kerr got through one more heat in the Rip Curl Pro today as well and will be some of the favorites towards the crown. The champion will be crowned tomorrow and some consistent five foot (1.5 meter)) waves are expected for the showdown.

UPCOMING ROUND 5 HEATS

Heat 1 : Aritz Aramburu (EUK), Marlon Lipke (DEU)

Heat 2 : Tim Boal (FRA), Shaun Gossmann (AUS)

Heat 3 : Jihad Khodr (BRA), Yadin Nicol (AUS)

Heat 4 : Joan Duru (FRA), Nathaniel Curran (USA)

Heat 5 : Tanner Gudauskas (USA), Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 6 : Phillip MacDonald (AUS), Chris Davidson (AUS)

Heat 7 : Josh Kerr (AUS), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 8 : Neco Padaratz (BRA), Drew Courtney (AUS)

ROUND 4 RESULTS

Heat 1: Aritz Aramburu (EUK) 14.76 pts, Tim Boal (FRA) 14.37 pts, Tiago Pires (PRT) 13.00 pts

Heat 2: Shaun Gossmann (AUS) 15.50 pts, Marlon Lipke (DEU) 11.17 pts, Romain Cloitre (FRA) 7.57 pts

Heat 3: Jihad Khodr (BRA) 12.34 pts, Joan Duru (FRA) 10.10 pts, Guilherme Herdy (BRA) 5.17 pts

Heat 4: Nathaniel Curran (USA) 15.66 pts, Yadin Nicol (AUS) 14.57 pts, Jadson Andre (BRA) 12.73 pts

Heat 5: Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 16.50 pts, Phillip MacDonald (AUS) 15.66 pts, Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 11.56 pts

Heat 6: Chris Davidson (AUS) 16.66 pts, Mikael Picon (FRA) 15.57 pts, Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 9.23 pts

Heat 7: Josh Kerr (AUS) 13.43 pts, Neco Padaratz (BRA) 11.84 pts, Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 9.40 pts
Heat 8: Drew Courtney (AUS) 15.67 pts, Daniel Ross (AUS) 13.26 pts, Owen Wright (AUS) 10.33 pts

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: August 23, 2008, 20:08:59 »

18-24 August 2008

Chris Davidson Wins the 2008 Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite at Seignosse

Photo: Chris Davidson (in white, AUS) congratulated by runner-up and friend Jihad Khodr (BRA) after winning the ASP WQS 6-Star Prime Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite

SEIGNOSSE, France (Saturday, August 23, 2008) –  Chris Davidson (AUS), 31, won the prestigious ASP WQS 6-Star Prime Rip Curl Pro pres. by Sprite today in clean three foot (one meter) waves at Les Bourdaines, main venue of the 2008 edition. Davidson, who defeated an impressive Jihad Khodr (BRA) in the final where he posted the highest heat score of the week, secured his second ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) win this season and confirms his No. 2 rank on the international ratings.

"I cannot believe it, it is more than I could ever hope for," Davidson said. "I felt like it was my day because these conditions usually fit my surfing so well and there was all the potential to surf at my best. I was so amped I got those two big scores straight away and just felt like I was free surfing with Jihad (Khodr)."

Davidson, who posted an impressive 19.27 point heat tally (out of a possible 20) to clinch the crown, has had an amazing year with several finals and two ASP WQS 6-Star wins, enough to make his ASP World Tour qualification dream get closer to reality.

"It has been a tough time for me since I got back on the WQS," Davidson said. "I was injured last year and with very few sponsorship so it has been a struggle but I am already looking forward to competing against the ASP Top 45 next year. So stoked, I cannot believe I have won it."

Davidson, who showed great surfing and radicality all week, was the only one to stop an outstanding Jihad Khodr (BRA), currently No. 42 on the ASP World Tour.

Khodr, who was seen as the potential champion after busting some of the most impressive airs and turns of the event this morning, missed the title not getting the better waves during the final battle.

"It was Davo’s day and there was not much I could do in the final," Khodr said. "I am stoked to get this second place and I had a great time in France, had a lot of fun competing in the good conditions today so it is all good for me."

Khodr, who has had a tough year as a rookie among the ASP Top 45, jumps back to rank No. 11 and will have the possibility to requalify through the WQS if he keeps up the good work in the upcoming events.

"It has been tough this year learning against the world’s best surfers," Khodr said. "I am trying to improve on every part of my surfing and it seems like I found some answers in this event. It is a great confidence boost for the upcoming events and I hope I can keep the good roll going."

Marlon Lipke (DEU), 23, former ASP European Junior champion, made his way through to the semifinals today getting an equal 3rd in the ASP WQS 6-Star Prime rated event for the best result of his career to date. Lipke, who defeated fellow Europeans and friends Aritz Aranburu (EUK) and Tim Boal (FRA) en route to Semifinal No. 1, clinched 2250 points today and now stands No. 7 on the international ratings.

"I never expected I could make a semifinal here, in such a big event with a Prime status," Lipke said. "I am not really into ratings and points but I was hoping for a 9th at least and I end up with a 3rd so I am really stoked."

Lipke, who now totals 10300 points, has gone one step further towards next year’s ASP top 45 and could become the first German ever to join the world’s elite.

"It has been a crazy year for Europeans with so many of us reaching finals at most main events," Lipke said. "Miky (Picon), Tiago (Pires), Aritz (Aranburu) and Jeremy (Flores) have been a great motivation for us all and it seems like things are paying off."

The Rip Curl Pro witnessed some of the most progressive surfing ever seen in an ASP event with Josh Kerr (AUS) taking his custom-made revolutionnary surfing to another level.

Kerr, who was stopped in Semifinal No. 2 in a wave-starved heat, posted two of the best heat results of the event today, an impressive 19.17 including a perfect 10.00 point ride and an 18.17 (both out of a possible 20).

"I had a lot of fun today but I am still bumped with that 3rd, the second one in two weeks," Kerr said. "I will have to work on that last heat and victory because I want to win. I have had several finals including one here three years ago but I want to win."

Kerr, who has been pushing his competitive surfing towards aerial maneuvers for years, was rewarded a perfect 10.00 point score (out of a possible 10) for pulling one of the highest grabrail frontside air seen in a heat.

"I believe that professional surfing has really gone the right way and I am stoked to see that kind of moves rewarded," Kerr said. "I usually paddle out with no plan except going for the best wave and then I just surf it the way I see it."

Kerr, who surfed among the ASP Top 45 in 2007, has only surfed seven events this year but stands No. 3 on the international ratings, very promissing towards a possible Dream Tour requalification. 

Miky Picon (FRA) and Tim Boal (FRA) were the two other European surfers to make the quarterfinals today, missing out the win at home that would have been a huge thing as no French surfer has ever won the Rip Curl Pro.

Tim Boal (Anglet, FRA), 24, placed equal 5th in the Rip Curl Pro today keeping his ASP World Tour hopes alive with another great result that puts him No. 8 on the ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) ratings. Boal, who placed 2nd in the US Open and 9th in Lacanau, struck once again in the Prime rated event and will go to Portugal confidently.

"I am happy I made it this far but it is disappointing to be so close and miss the final," Boal said. "It would have been great to win here, twenty minutes from home, in such a major event. You want to win when you get that far so I am pretty bumped."

Boal, who remains one of the best European chances to make it through to next year’s ASP Top 45, will be looking forward to gaining ground in the upcoming events.

"There is a good feeling inbetween us Europeans and it is good for our region to see that many guys at the top level," Boal said. "But when it comes to competing, you are out there for yourself and you have to get the waves. I have had some good results in Ericeira so I am looking forward to the next event."

FINAL
Heat : Chris Davidson (AUS) 19.24 pts Def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 15.60 pts

SEMIFINALS
Heat 1 : Jihad Khodr (BRA) 15.23 pts Def. Marlon Lipke (DEU) 12.00 pts
Heat 2 : Chris Davidson (AUS) 14.17 pts Def. Josh Kerr (AUS) 9.50 pts

QUARTERFINALS
Heat 1 : Marlon Lipke (DEU) 14.67 pts Def. Tim Boal (FRA) 13.60 pts
Heat 2 : Jihad Khodr (BRA) 15.16 pts Def. Nathaniel Curran (USA) 13.14 pts
Heat 3 : Chris Davidson (AUS) 16.33 pts Def. Mikael Picon (FRA) 12.17 pts
Heat 4 : Josh Kerr (AUS) 19.17 pts Def. Drew Courtney (AUS) 7.00 pts

ROUND 5
Heat 1 : Marlon Lipke (DEU)  12.50 pts def. Aritz Aramburu (EUK) 7.93 pts