Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 04, 2024, 04:00:21
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Billabong Santa Catarina Pro Brazil 2010  (Gelesen 4264 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
Billabong Santa Catarina Pro Brazil 2010
« am: April 23, 2010, 13:55:34 »

Billabong Pro Santa Catarina
Stop No. 3 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour
Imbituba, Santa Catarina, Brazil
April 23 – May 2, 2010

Lay Day Called for Billabong Pro Santa Catarina

Pictured: Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, current ASP World No. 6, will face compatriots Jadson Andre (BRA), 20, and Neco Padaratz (BRA), 33, in Round 1 of the Billabong Santa Catarina Pro.

Credit: © ASP / CESTARI

IMBITUBA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Friday, April 23, 2010) – Billabong Pro Santa Catarina competition has been called off for the day, but with a projected increase in swell over the coming days, the world’s best surfers could hit the water as soon as tomorrow.

Event No. 3 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina plays a vital role in the current battle for the prestigious ASP World Title as well as the requalification campaigns of the world’s best surfers.

“There’s a big southerly wind change projected for the next few hours and it will deteriorate the current conditions rapidly,” Richie Porta, ASP Head Judge, said. “We’re expecting the swell to jack over the coming days with improved conditions so we’ll be back tomorrow morning to assess things.”

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 7am for a possible 8am start.

The waiting period for the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will begin on Friday, April 23 and run through May 2, 2010.

The Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will be webcast LIVE via http://www.aspworldtour.com/santacatarina

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Jeremy Flores (FRA), Adam Melling (AUS)

Heat 2: Dane Reynolds (USA), Roy Powers (HAW), Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 3: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Jadson Andre (BRA), Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 4: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Michel Bourez (PYF), Nate Yeomans (USA)

Heat 5: Jordy Smith (ZAF), Daniel Ross (AUS), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 6: Bobby Martinez (USA), Andy Irons (HAW), Marco Polo (BRA)

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Luke Stedman (AUS), Blake Thornton (AUS)

Heat 8: Taj Burrow (AUS), C.J. Hobgood (USA), TBA

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS), Tom Whitaker (AUS), TBA

Heat 10: Kelly Slater (USA), Tiago Pires (PRT), TBA

Heat 11: Kai Otton (AUS), Dean Morrison (AYS), Tanner Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 12: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Kekoa Bacalso (HAW), Matt Wilkinson (AUS)

Heat 13: Damien Hobgood (USA), Mick Campbell (AUS), Luke Munro (AUS)

Heat 14: Kieren Perrow (AUS), Patrick Gudauskas (USA), Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 15: Chris Davidson (AUS), Owen Wright (AUS), Brett Simpson (USA)

Heat 16: Taylor Knox (USA), Drew Courtney (AUS), Dusty Payne (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: Billabong Santa Catarina Pro Brazil 2010
« Antwort #1 am: April 25, 2010, 09:20:35 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

Parkinson Soars Amidst Upsets in Round 1 Billabong Pro Santa Catarina

Pictured: Joel Parkinson (AUS), 29, was flawless in today’s trying conditions for Round 1 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

Credit: © ASP / SCHOLTZ

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Saturday, April 24, 2010) – The opening round of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina was completed today in pulsing two-to-three foot (1 metre) rights at lefts at Imbituba’s Praia da Vila.

Event No. 3 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina plays an important role in both the hunt for the 2010 ASP World Title and the mid-year requalification race for the ASP Top 45, and despite a slew of high-profile upsets, today bore witness to some sensational surfing.

Joel Parkinson (AUS), 29, 2009 ASP World Runner-Up and current ASP World No. 6, wowed spectators and fellow competitors alike today, executing a giant forehand aerial for the highest single-wave score of the day, a near-perfect 9.93 out of a possible 10.

“I already had two solid scores and I was just loosening up,” Parkinson said. “When I hit the section, I thought I was too high, but my board stuck to my feet and I thought, ‘well, I’ll try to land it’. Then I found a soft section and rode out of it. I’ve been working with a really good fin set-up and my boards have been feeling amazing.”

Parkinson’s two Equal 5th place finishes to start 2010 are a slight drop from last season’s juggernaut start, but the casual Australian is confident about his chances for the remainder of the year.

“The tour comes in waves,” Parkinson said. “Someone will do well in the first few events, then someone switches on in the next few and so on. It’s a long year ahead and the focus is on the heat in front of me.”

While the likes of Parkinson, Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, and Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, led the charge from the top, a surprising number of high seeds were relegated to the elimination Round 2 including reigning two-time ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, and current ASP World No. 1 Taj Burrow (AUS), 31.

Tiago Pires (PRT), 30, current ASP World No. 13, perhaps claimed today’s biggest scalp, knocking former nine-time ASP World Champion and defending event winner Kelly Slater (USA), 38, into Round 2.

“Kelly (Slater) makes everyone lift their game,” Pires said. “You can’t make any mistakes against him. I tried to pick the best waves and surf my best. Fortunately for me, things went my way today.”

Neco Padaratz (BRA), 33, current ASP World No. 30, posted a solid win today in the all-Brazilian Round 1 bout with Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, and Jadson Andre (BRA), 20. The journeyman campaigner showed remarkable poise in the challenging conditions, citing his years of experience at the venue for his win.

“I have been coming to Praia da Vila since I was 9 years old when I won my first contest here,” Padaratz said. “That’s 25 years of history for me in this place. I come here every winter to train for the heavy waves and I take it with me wherever I go. It’s a special place for me.”

Despite the big youth push currently on the ASP World Tour, Padaratz has seen a renaissance in his own surfing, which has allowed the powerful natural-footer to remain current into his third decade of competition.

“Adriano (de Souza) and Jadson (Andre) are such good young surfers,” Padaratz said. “They know they can get the scores on any wave and they were hunting for them out there. I’ve been working very hard on my surfing lately and I think it is starting to pay off with the scores.”

Matt Wilkinson (AUS), 21, led the rookie charge through Round 1 today, surfing with unmatched style and flow in the tricky afternoon righthanders. The Copacabana (Central Coast – Australia) local cited the venue’s similarity with a wave at home for his emphatic victory.

“The wave out there this afternoon is almost identical to this rip bowl right that Ace (Adrian Buchan) and I have been surfing at home,” Wilkinson said. “We’ve been surfing it everyday and it’s just funny that we ended up in the same heat. Ace is someone I’ve looked up to my entire life. When he was dominating the junior series, I was in the grommets. When he was smashing it on the ’QS, I was in the juniors, and so on. I’m psyched to win a heat and build confidence for the next one.”

Tanner Gudauskas (USA), 21, elder brother Patrick, 24, and Owen Wright (AUS), 20, were the only other rookies to place wins today; a daunting statistic considering the mid-year field reduction to the Top 32.

“I don’t have any more pressure on myself at this event than I do at any other,” Gudauskas (Tanner) said. “Shea Lopez (former ASP World Tour campaigner) gave my brother and me some good advice: he said, the first two events were wave-catching contests and this one is a wave-riding contest. The field is a bit more level and Brazil is where Pat and I need to make our moves.”

When competition resumes, up first will be current ASP World No. 1 Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, up against wildcard Tanio Barreto (BRA) in the opening heat of Round 2 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow at 7am for a possible 7:30am start.

Highlights from today’s Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will be available via http://www.aspworldtour.com/santacatarina

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 1 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 12.33, Adam Melling (AUS) 11.64, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 2: Dane Reynolds (USA) 13.00, Jay Thompson (AUS) 9.17, Roy Powers (HAW) 4.14

Heat 3: Neco Padaratz (BRA) 14.50, Jadson Andre (BRA) 13.24, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 12.17

Heat 4: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 12.17, Nate Yeomans (USA) 11.83, Michel Bourez (PYF) 6.73

Heat 5: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 13.87, Travis Logie (ZAF) 12.33, Daniel Ross (AUS) 11.16

Heat 6: Bobby Martinez (USA) 13.33, Andy Irons (HAW) 11.37, Marco Polo (BRA) 9.73

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 18.20, Blake Thornton (AUS) 12.93, Luke Stedman (AUS) 7.56

Heat 8: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 12.10, Taj Burrow (AUS) 10.67, Tanio Barreto (BRA) 9.64

Heat 9: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 13.67, Mick Fanning (AUS) 10.80, Ricardo dos Santos (BRA) 10.50

Heat 10: Tiago Pires (PRT) 12.67, Messias Felix (BRA) 11.83, Kelly Slater (USA) 10.17

Heat 11: Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 12.17, Dean Morrison (AYS) 11.43, Kai Otton (AUS) 10.84

Heat 12: Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 15.23, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 12.53, Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 9.84

Heat 13: Damien Hobgood (USA) 12.63, Mick Campbell (AUS) 12.33, Luke Munro (AUS) 8.27

Heat 14: Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 12.70, Ben Dunn (AUS) 8.94, Kieren Perrow (AUS) 6.97

Heat 15: Owen Wright (AUS) 12.00, Chris Davidson (AUS) 10.92, Brett Simpson (USA) 10.33

Heat 16: Taylor Knox (USA) 13.93, Dusty Payne (HAW) 12.67, Drew Courtney (AUS) 5.97

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Tanio Barreto (BRA)

Heat 2: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Ricardo dos Santos (BRA)

Heat 3: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Messias Felix (BRA)

Heat 4: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Blake Thornton (AUS)

Heat 5: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Marco Polo (BRA)

Heat 6: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 7: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Nate Yeomans (USA)

Heat 8: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Jay Thompson (AUS)

Heat 9: Chris Davidson (AUS) vs. Adam Melling (AUS)

Heat 10: Luke Stedman (AUS) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)

Heat 11: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 12: Daniel Ross (AUS) vs. Brett Simpson (USA)

Heat 13: Michel Bourez (PYF) vs. Dusty Payne (HAW)

Heat 14: Jadson Andre (BRA) vs. Drew Courtney (AUS)

Heat 15: Roy Powers (HAW) vs. Mick Campbell (AUS)

Heat 16: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Kekoa Bacalso (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: April 26, 2010, 09:40:32 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

Top Seeds Rebound Through Rookie Massacre in Round 2 Billabong Pro Santa Catarina

Pictured: Dan Ross (AUS), 27, current ASP World No. 13, was the standout performer in today’s Billabong Pro Santa Catarina Round 2.

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Sunday, April 25, 2010) – Round 2 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina was completed today in offshore but challenging two-to-three foot (1 metre) waves at Praia da Vila.

The third stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina saw a routing of the rookie class in today’s elimination Round 2 as the top seeds enjoyed an impressive return to form.

Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, current ASP World No. 1, recovered from a dismal Round 1 performance with a combination of powerful gaffs and aerial finesse.

“I was just looking to get a couple waves out there that lined up,” Burrow said. “I’m staying down in Praia Rosa (backup site). When I woke up this morning, it was massive with white-water out to sea and I think I needed a bigger board. It’s much more manageable here and the bank has definitely shifted since yesterday. Stoked to get through.”

The Western Australian posted a convincing win over wildcard Tanio Barreto (BRA) to advance through to Round 3 and keep his stellar competitive run alive.

“I never like being in Round 2,” Burrow said. “No one does, but just looked at it as another opportunity to figure out the bank. It’s tricky at the best of times and has certainly changed a lot since last year. That said, I felt like I had a better rhythm today than I did yesterday and I hope I can keep the momentum building in the coming days.”

Burrow will surf against lethal goofy-footer Travis Logie (ZAF), 30, in Round 3 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

Kelly Slater (USA), 38, former nine-time ASP World Champion and current ASP World No. 2, was another to rebound in today’s trying conditions, showcasing his patented variety of repertoire, including an impressive alley-oop 360 to close out his heat.

“I was just lost at sea yesterday,” Slater said. “Every wave I paddled for seemed to evaporate after one turn. In today’s heat, I was just focused on getting a lot of waves and picking ones that would allow for a lot of manuevers. It worked out and I’ll keep tweaking things as we move forward.”

Defending event champion, Slater is still suffering from an injury to his right foot sustained while training in Bells Beach, but the Floridian muscled through today’s elimination Round 2 and remains hot on the heels of ASP ratings’ leader Burrow.

“It’s still pretty ginger,” Slater said. “I didn’t tape it today because I’m no doctor and sometimes when you tape it, it stresses other parts of the foot. It went fine though. It feels good to put a heat together here and hopefully I can build a bit of a rhythm.”

Slater will face 2010 ASP Dream Tour rookie Tanner Gudauskas (USA), 21, in Round 3.

Dan Ross (AUS), 27, current ASP World No. 13, proved the form surfer of the day, dominating the shifting afternoon conditions to post the highest heat total of the day, a 16.93 out of a possible 20.

“I’d been paying close attention to the conditions prior to my heat and it looked like it was improving,” Ross said. “I went out there and found the best ones and surfed them well. That’s all it takes. I’ve got some really good boards under my feet from Christian Bradley (I’ve been getting good ones from Rod Dahlberg too) and I feel very confident right now.”

Ross will battle fiery Sydney-sider Chris “Davo” Davidson (AUS), 33, in his upcoming Round 3 heat.

Michel Bourez (PYF), 24, current ASP World No. 19, continued his momentum-fueled run today, besting lethal Hawaiian rookie Dusty Payne (HAW), 21, in their Round 2 bout. After a 33rd to start the season, Bourez backed it up with a 9th a Bells and will look to keep the roll going as the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina moves into Round 3.

“I had a bad start this year but I’m rebounding in these last two events,” Bourez said. “I’m just trying to build a good seed heading into J-Bay (where I did well last year) and at home in Tahiti. All I am thinking about is getting home and having a good event. I’ve been sick for the past few days, but I’m feeling better now. I have great boards and I’m looking forward to the rest of the event.”

Bourez will take on Byron Bay natural-footer Kieren Perrow (AUS), 33, in Round 3 of competition.

Jadson Andre (BRA), 20, 2010 ASP World Tour rookie and current ASP World No. 13, was the sole rookie to survive today’s onslaught by the upperclassmen, overrunning ASP Dream Tour sophomore Drew Courtney (AUS), 31, this afternoon.

“Every heat counts at this level,” Andre said. “Adriano (de Souza) is my inspiration these past few years and to be representing Brazil with him now is very special. Hopefully I can keep my results coming because you want to be in the Top 32 after Tahiti.”

Andre draws tour veteran Damien Hobgood (USA), 30, in Round 3 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

When competition resumes, up first will be current ASP World No. 4 Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, against Luke Munro (AUS), 27, in the opening heat of Round 2.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 7am to assess conditions for a possible 7:30am start.

ASP International and Billabong apologize for the issues will live streaming during the first two rounds of competition. Our technicians are rapidly working at resolving the issue and hope to have it resolved by the start of Round 3. We thank you for your patience.

Highlights from the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will be available via http://www.aspworldtour.com/santacatarina

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 2 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 15.66 def. Tanio Barreto (BRA) 8.84

Heat 2: Mick Fanning (AUS) 13.83 def. Ricardo dos Santos (BRA) 8.83

Heat 3: Kelly Slater (USA) 14.84 def. Messias Felix (BRA) 8.17

Heat 4: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 12.84 def. Blake Thornton (AUS) 10.90

Heat 5: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 10.26 def. Marco Polo (BRA) 9.57

Heat 6: Travis Logie (ZAF) 12.63 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 12.16

Heat 7: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 13.50 def. Nate Yeomans (USA) 9.34

Heat 8: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 13.47 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 10.90

Heat 9: Chris Davidson (AUS) 13.33 def. Adam Melling (AUS) 12.50

Heat 10: Luke Munro (AUS) 9.07 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 8.96

Heat 11: Ben Dunn (AUS) 13.33 def. Andy Irons (HAW) 12.90

Heat 12: Daniel Ross (AUS) 16.93 def. Brett Simpson (USA) 7.63

Heat 13: Michel Bourez (PYF) 14.50 def. Dusty Payne (HAW) 13.46

Heat 14: Jadson Andre (BRA) 14.17 def. Drew Courtney (AUS) 12.57

Heat 15: Roy Powers (HAW) 13.60 def. Mick Campbell (AUS) 10.40

Heat 16: Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 16.00 def. Dean Morrison (AUS) 10.06

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 1: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Luke Munro (AUS)

Heat 2: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Jadson Andre (BRA)

Heat 3: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Michel Bourez (PYF)

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Matt Wilkinson (AUS)

Heat 5: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Patrick Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Kekoa Bacalso (HAW)

Heat 7: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Tom Whitaker (AUS)

Heat 8: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 10: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 11: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Owen Wright (AUS)

Heat 12: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Jeremy Flores (FRA)

Heat 13: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Tanner Gudauskas (USA)

Heat 14: Chris Davidson (AUS) vs. Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 16: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Roy Powers (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: April 26, 2010, 12:17:44 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

Lay Day for Billabong Pro Santa Catarina

Pictured: Michel Bourez (PYF), 24, was a standout in yesterday’s Round 2 and will face Kieren Perrow (AUS), 33, in Round 3 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Monday, April 26, 2010) – Smaller surf in the one-to-two foot (0.5 metre) range at Praia da Vila today prompted event organizers to call a lay day for the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

Event No. 3 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina has completed the opening two rounds of competition in the first three days, and with swell projected for the coming days the world’s best surfers will wait for the best possible conditions to decide a victor.

“The surf has dropped substantially since yesterday and we’ve called competition off for the day,” Richie Porta, ASP International Head Judge said. “We’ve done well to smash through two rounds in the first three days and conditions are expected to improve over the coming days so we’ll be back to assess in the morning.”

When competition resumes, up first will be current ASP World No. 4 Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, against Luke Munro (AUS), 27, in the opening heat of Round 2.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 7am to assess conditions for a possible 7:30am start.

ASP International and Billabong apologize for the issues will live streaming during the first two rounds of competition. Our technicians are rapidly working at resolving the issue and hope to have it resolved by the start of Round 3. We thank you for your patience.

Highlights from the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will be available via http://www.aspworldtour.com/santacatarina

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: April 28, 2010, 12:06:21 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

World’s Best Hit the Water for Rounds 3 and 4 Billabong Pro Santa Catarina

Pictured: Taj Burrow (AUS), 31, current ASP World No. 1, will face Travis Logie (ZAF), 30, in Round 3 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Wednesday, April 28, 2010) – With clean three-to-four foot (1 metre) waves on offer at the primary site of Praia da Vila, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina has been called on today with the opening heat of Round 3 hitting the water at 7:15am.

Event No. 3 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina expects a massive day of competition, preparing to run the 16 heats of Round 3 as well as the first four heats of Round 4.

“The surf has increased today and it’s the cleanest we’ve seen it so we’re planning an early start of 7:15am,” Richie Porta, ASP International Head Judge, said. “We’ll be monitoring conditions, but if it remains like this we’re planning to run all of Round 3 and the first half of Round 4.”

Up first this morning is current ASP World No. 4 Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, against Luke Munro (AUS), 27, in the opening heat of Round 3.

The Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will be webcast LIVE available via http://www.aspworldtour.com/santacatarina

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #5 am: April 28, 2010, 12:14:17 »

so wen es interessiert ...die Jungs sind live im Wasser

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: April 29, 2010, 12:06:52 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

New Guard Ascends at Praia da Vila for Billabong Pro Santa Catarina

Pictured: Jadson Andre (BRA), 20, 2010 ASP Dream Tour rookie, was phenomenal today at Praia da Vila and will take on Michel Bourez (PYF), 24, in the Quarterfinals of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Wednesday, April 28, 2010) – The Billabong Pro Santa Catarina put in a marathon 20 heats of competition today as Round 3 and the opening four heats of Round 4 were completed in clean three-to-four foot (1 metre) waves at Praia da Vila.

The third stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina plays a vital part in both the 2010 ASP World Title race as well as the requalification campaigns of the world’s best surfers, and today’s assault by the new guard substantially altered both courses this season.

Jadson Andre (BRA), 20, 2010 ASP World Tour rookie, was today’s standout surfer, first besting veteran goofy-footer Damien Hobgood (USA), 30, in Round 3 before going on a blitzkrieg against Luke Munro (AUS), 27, in Round 4. The afternoon bout saw the young Brazilian decimate the punchy lefthanders, linking searing carves with multiple airs on every wave. Posting four waves over 8.0 (throwing away the two lowest), Andre secured the day’s highest heat total of a 16.83 out of a possible 20 and advanced into the first Quarterfinal of his young career.

“Every time I would finish a wave and ride back on the ski, the whole crowd would start screaming,” Andre said. “It’s the best feeling in the world. The waves are really fun. I think I caught too many, but that’s okay. I will go and rest tonight and hope for a big finish tomorrow.”

Rated 13th in the world heading into Brazil, Andre has already improved his ASP World Tour ranking with a Quarterfinals berth, an important fact considering the mid-season cut to the Top 32.

“It’s a super important event for everyone,” Andre said. “Everyone wants to make the cut after Tahiti and to be at home is a good advantage for me. I’m not trying to think of the cut-off. I’m just thinking about surfing my best.”

Andre will take on Polynesian powerhouse Michel Bourez (PYF), 24, in the Quarterfinals of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

Bourez, in his second year on the ASP World Tour, was another to blast his way through two rounds today, taking out lethal veteran Kieren Perrow (AUS), 33, in Round 3 and perennial ASP World Title threat Joel Parkinson (AUS), 29, in Round 4.

“Everything is going well for me at the moment,” Bourez said. “My girlfriend, my family, my friends, everything is good. I have a really good board at the moment and feel like I’m surfing strong. This is already a big result for me and now I am trying to keep going.”

Bourez will now have his work cut out for him as he takes on in-form Brazilian rookie Andre in the Quarterfinals.

“It will be a hard heat for both of us,” Bourez said. “It already matches my best result on tour and it’s his (Jadson Andre) first Quarterfinal. I saw he got some 8s in his heat and he surfs out here really well so it will be a challenge, but I look forward to it.”

Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, current ASP World No. 9, claimed a major scalp this afternoon, taking out last year’s event Runner-Up Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, in an action-packed heat. Although the Brazilian sensation held firm with an early lead, Reynolds turned the tide with an exceptional backhand wave, scoring an 8.33 out of a possible 10.

“That was strange because Adriano (de Souza) gave me that wave while I was under his priority and that’s out of character for him,” Reynolds said. “The wave had a really good line on it, but in saying that, it had a lot of little bumps in it too. I managed to release the fins on the first turn then had an okay second turn and finished well. It’s weird surfing against him because he has so much support on the beach and I’m sure they all wanted me to lose. That’s just the way it goes though.”

Reynolds will face former ASP World Champion C.J. Hobgood (USA), 30, in the Quarterfinals of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

Owen Wright (AUS), 20, 2010 ASP World Tour rookie, caused an upset of his own today, eliminating regular top performer in Brazil, Bede Durbidge (AUS), 27, in Round 3 of competition. The win marks the first time the much-lauded goofy-footer has broken into Round 4 this season and despite nursing a knee injury, Wright will look to make an impression at Imbituba.

“I’m rapt to make it into the fourth round,” Wright said. “Starting the year with two 16ths is tough, and my knee didn’t feel 100% before the comp so I wasn’t even sure if I would compete. It’s felt good though, but still not where I want it to be. Bede (Durbidge) is an amazing surfer and every year he competes here, he gets the best waves. Fortunately, I was able to get in a rhythm out there and there wasn’t anything left for him.”

Wright will take on Jeremy Flores (FRA), 22, in Round 4 of competition.

Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, reigning two-time ASP World Champion, experienced a relatively mediocre start in Brazil, but hit his straps today with an emphatic Round 3 win over Neco Padaratz (BRA), 33. The Australian lacerated the running righthanders and appears to be building momentum as the event draws to a close.

“Neco (Padaratz) is a tough opponent when he’s here at home,” Fanning said. “He knows the wave really well and puts everything into his surfing. He also has lots of support on the beach. I felt like I put together a better heat in that one. I felt good on the righthander and I had a good left until I misplaced my foot. I’m feeling good and looking forward to a big finish whenever we run again.”

When competition resumes, up first will be reigning two-time ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, and Taylor Knox (USA), 38, in Heat 5 of Round 4.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow at 7am to assess conditions for a possible 7:30am start.

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 3 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Luke Munro (AUS) 13.04 def. Bobby Martinez (USA) 10.84

Heat 2: Jadson Andre (BRA) 15.26 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 9.23

Heat 3: Michel Bourez (PYF) 15.50 def. Kieren Perrow (AUS) 10.17

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 13.77 def. Matt Wilkinson (AUS) 12.17

Heat 5: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 13.73 def. Patrick Gudauskas (USA) 5.20

Heat 6: Dane Reynolds (USA) 14.66 def. Kekoa Bacalso (HAW) 10.00

Heat 7: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 12.83 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 11.33

Heat 8: Travis Logie (ZAF) 13.60 def. Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.00

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) 14.50 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 11.04

Heat 10: Taylor Knox (USA) 13.00 def. Tiago Pires (PRT) 11.73

Heat 11: Owen Wright (AUS) 13.77 def. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 9.27

Heat 12: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 15.50 def. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 7.83

Heat 13: Kelly Slater (USA) 12.60 def. Tanner Gudauskas (USA) 6.83

Heat 14: Chris Davidson (AUS) 12.37 def. Daniel Ross (AUS) 12.17

Heat 15: Jordy Smith (ZAF) 17.00 def. Ben Dunn (AUS) 9.83

Heat 16: Roy Powers (HAW) 14.17 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 9.66

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO ROUND 4 RESULTS:

Heat 1: Jadson Andre (BRA) 16.83 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 10.83

Heat 2: Michel Bourez (PYF) 14.50. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 7.43

Heat 3: Dane Reynolds (USA) 15.16 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 12.67

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 13.84 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 9.80

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO REMAINING ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Taylor Knox (USA)

Heat 6: Owen Wright (AUS) vs. Jeremy Flores (FRA)

Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Chris Davidson (AUS)

Heat 8: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Roy Powers (HAW)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: April 29, 2010, 12:25:35 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

Final Day Billabong Pro Santa Catarina ON at Praia da Vila

Pictured: Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, was a standout in yesterday’s Round 3 and will take on Roy Powers (HAW), 29, in Round 4 of the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Thursday, April 29, 2010) – Clean two-to-three foot (1 metre) waves on offer at the primary site of Praia da Vila have prompted event organizers to call the final day of Billabong Pro Santa Catarina competition on, with the first heat hitting the water at 7:30am.

Event No. 3 of 10 on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will utilize the conditions on offer this morning to complete what has turned out to be a dramatic event.

“The surf has dropped slightly but it’s still very clean and contestable and we’ll be getting underway this morning at 7:30am,” Richie Porta, ASP International Head Judge, said. “We expect to crown a champion by day’s end to so good luck to all our remaining competitors.”

Kicking off the final day of competition will be reigning two-time ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS), 28, and Taylor Knox (USA), 38, in Heat 5 of Round 4.

The Billabong Pro Santa Catarina will be webcast LIVE via http://www.aspworldtour.com/santacatarina

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO REMAINING ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS:

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Taylor Knox (USA)

Heat 6: Owen Wright (AUS) vs. Jeremy Flores (FRA)

Heat 7: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Chris Davidson (AUS)

Heat 8: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Roy Powers (HAW)

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO QUARTERFINAL MATCH-UPS:

QF 1: Jadson Andre (BRA) vs. Michel Bourez (PYF)

QF 2: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. C.J. Hobgood (USA)

QF 3: TBD

QF 4: TBD

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #8 am: April 30, 2010, 09:58:34 »

April 23 – May 2, 2010

Jadson Andre Wins Billabong Pro Santa Catarina, Slater Takes ASP Rankings’ Lead

Pictured: Jadson Andre (BRA), 20, is your 2010 Billabong Pro Santa Catarina Champion!

PRAIA DA VILA, Santa Catarina/Brazil (Thursday, April 29, 2010) – Jadson Andre (BRA), 20, 2010 ASP World Tour rookie, has defeated former nine-time ASP World Champion and current ASP World No. 1 Kelly Slater (USA), 38, to claim the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina.

The third stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour, the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina culminated in dramatic fashion today with the rookie claiming his inaugural victory in front of a capacity crowd at Praia da Vila.

“What do I say?” Andre said. “This is my dream. This is everything I have worked for in my life. To be on the beach and hear that I was the winner, something special came over me. I don’t know how to put into words. It’s a miracle. I have had some bad things happen in my life, but this is amazing. I am so thankful to everyone for this.”

The young Brazilian was a standout in every round of competition, blending full-rail carves with effortless air reverses, and dominated the challenging Final conditions to best Slater. The win vaults Andre from 13th to 4th on the elite ASP World Tour rankings and puts him in excellent position heading into the close of the first half of the season.

“It’s very important in terms of my ranking,” Andre said. “Not only to help make the Top 32 cut-off, but also to help my seeding at J-Bay and Teahupoo. I know Kelly (Slater) can get a score whenever he wants so I tried my best to get scores early and keep the pressure on.”

Andre becomes the first rookie to win an ASP World Tour event since Bobby Martinez (USA), 27, in 2006, and the first South American since compatriot Adriano de Souza (BRA), 23, last year in Spain.

“Adriano (de Souza) has been my hero for a long time,” Andre said. “All the pressure has been on him these past years and I have learned from him. He is an inspiration and has helped me so much this year. It feels amazing to represent my home country and win here for Brazil.”

While Slater never quite found his high-scoring form in Brazil, the Floridian adapted to the conditions each and every round, exhibiting his dominant nature throughout the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina. The Runner-Up Finish sees Slater ascend to the top of the ASP World Tour rankings – a dangerous place considering the upcoming events.

“It definitely puts me in a good spot this season heading into Jeffreys (Bay) and Tahiti,” Slater said. “I think it’s been almost two years since I’ve led the rankings and yeah, it feels good. Obviously, you want to win every heat, but that said, I didn’t lose to a Mick (Fanning) or a Joel (Parkinson) or a Jordy (Smith) who are probably bigger threats in terms of the title. Jadson (Andre) winning here today is special and it’s probably something that he’ll remember for the rest of his life.”

The current ASP World No. 1 showed little, if any, weaknesses throughout the event, only falling to Andre’s hyper-kinetic forehand in the Final.

“In these conditions it was always going to be tough to beat him (Andre),” Slater said. “I would have had to gotten the set waves and had sections to pull some airs off. He was pretty unbeatable in these conditions and he took down everyone. We’ll see if he can match the performances at places like Teahupoo and Pipeline.”

Owen Wright (AUS), 20, 2010 ASP World Tour rookie, secured his career best result today, finishing Equal 3rd at the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina. The young goofy-footer soars from 23rd to 11th on the ASP World Tour rankings, putting himself in excellent position to make the Top 32 cut-off at this season’s midway point.

“I’m rapt with my result here in Brazil,” Wright said. “The tide really filled in and it became challenging to find them out there. Kelly (Slater) can pretty much do anything and he was able to stay busy during that Semi. I’m stoked with 3rd and it definitely helps with the seeding heading into these next two events. I’ve never been to J-Bay before but I’m frothing to get there.”

Dane Reynolds (USA), 24, lived up to his reputation at the Billabong Pro Santa Catarina, logging in one phenomenal performance after another that culminated in the day’s highest single-wave score, a 9.77 out of a possible 10 for a monster 360 Method Air on his backhand in the Quarterfinals. Unfortunately, Reynolds was unable to halt an early blitz from Andre in the Semifinals.

“Jadson (Andre) really found a rhythm early and I wasn’t able to get anything going until the end there,” Reynolds said. “I felt like I was pushing through the waves a bit too much. It’s okay though. Equal 3rd is a good result and it puts me in a comfortable position moving forward. I had a good time here in Brazil. I had some fun heats and I’m looking forward to the next one.”

Jordy Smith (ZAF), 22, fell to eventual Runner-Up Slater in the Quarterfinals but remained a standout in Brazil. The powerful South African’s Equal 5th place finish sees him move to the ASP World No. 2 spot, an excellent position to be in heading into the next stop in South Africa.

“Any time you get the chance to surf against Kelly (Slater) is a privilege,” Smith said. “I stuck to my game plan of hunting the lefts, and he stuck to the rights which hadn’t really been breaking all day. But he’s Kelly and he can summon waves like that. I’m disappointed, but still happy with the way I surfed. It’s another good result for me and I’m looking forward to getting good waves at J-Bay.”

The next stop on the 2010 ASP World Tour will be the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay from July 15 – 25, 2010.

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO FINAL RESULTS:

1 – Jadson Andre (BRA) 14.40

2 – Kelly Slater (USA) 14.00

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO SEMIFINAL RESULTS:

SF 1: Jadson Andre (BRA) 17.70 def. Dane Reynolds (USA) 16.67

SF 2: Kelly Slater (USA) 13.50 def. Owen Wright (AUS) 10.56

BILLABONG SANTA CATARINA PRO QUARTERFINAL RESULTS:

QF 1: Jadson Andre (BRA) 15.50 def. Michel Bourez (PYF) 15.27

QF 2: Dane Reynolds (USA) 14.27 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 13.17

QF 3: Owen Wright (AUS) 13.34 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 12.43 

QF 4: Kelly Slater (USA) 15.43 def. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 13.87