Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 20, 2024, 04:47:05
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Roxy Jam Biarritz 2010  (Gelesen 1588 mal)

Börni

• Börni "Moses"
  • Global Moderator
  • If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
    • Nordsurf-Syndikat
Roxy Jam Biarritz 2010
« am: Juli 11, 2010, 14:38:07 »

Dawson Leads Top Seeds’ Domination in Excellent Surf for Roxy Jam Kick-off

Image caption: One of today's top seeds to advanc along with best performer Leah Dawson (USA), Coline Menard (REU) managed to keep her ASP Women's World Longboard ttle opes alive today by advancing through to Round 2 with classic style [Credit: ASP/Aquashot]

LA COTE DES BASQUES, Biarritz, France (Saturday, July 10, 2010) – The opening day of the Roxy ASP Women’s World Longboard Championships rolled through intense action as Round 1 was completed in excellent wave conditions, witnessing the elimination of sixteen of the world’s best female longboarders.

In its fifth edition, the prestigious competition witnessed an exciting surf show, the usual crowds enjoying the intensity of the one-on-one battles’ format, the ASP Women’s World Longboard title target adding pressure on the contenders.

Dominating the stage with her renowned athletic style and committed surfing, former ASP Women’s World Longboard No. 3 Leah Dawson (California, USA) set the level to new heights posting a 15.25 point heat score to advance through to Round 2 confidently.

“I was planning to have fun and it went pretty well,” Dawson said. “I watched Joy (Monahan) in the heat before me and it looked like they were starting to get waves coming through from the outside and I got luck with a couple of sets comin-in right from the beginning and was right in the spot.”

Netting a couple of excellent scores to eliminate South African Roxy Towill (ZAF), Dawson displayed a mix of both progressive on-the-rail maneuvers and traditional nose-rides, ending up with an 8.00 and a 7.25. Setting pace and confirming her world title contender’ suit in twenty-five minutes, Dawson has set sights on the number one place in 2010.

“It’s a great confidence boost and it has set me up on the right track,” Dawson said. “I’ve got a tough line-up of competitors in front of me to get to the world title but I am really passionate about it this year and I’ve been preparing really hard. I’d love to win, not just for myself but also for all the people who have given me support and love unconditionally.”

With beautiful weather and quality waves making the first day of action one of the best in years, the changing tide gave competitors the potential to express the full repertoire of longboarding, making it obvious the level this year has once again improved.

“It’s one of the best days of surf we’ve had in five years,” Roxy Jam contest director Philippe Malvaux said. “The winds were favorable all day and the swell remained as forecast, consistent in the four to five-foot range. We are expecting a slight drop in the swell but some good weather and winds as well for tomorrow.”

Much expected for her return to competition in France, reigning and two-time ASP Women’s World Longboard Champion Jennifer Smith (California, USA) avoided an upset elimination winning Heat 8 of Round 1. With obvious added pressure due to her favorite’s status, Smith was not able to score any big points.

“I was pretty nervous for that first heat and didn’t sleep well at all last night,” Smith said. “I didn’t see any of Chloe’s (Calmon) waves and I wasn’t very comfortable out there so it’s a relief to make it past that round and keep things going. It’s unfortunate I creased my favorite board which I won the title with last year.”

As the tide got in and crowds settled on the famous walk-through, the intensity rose with local favorites taking to the water to try and start their 2010 world title campaign well.

Coming from an unexpected runner-up finish in 2009, Reunion Island born surfer Coline Menard (REU) pleased her fans escaping from Round 1 to keep her hopes alive. Menard, 22, who made her world-title-win intentions clear at the event opening press conference, was able to defeat Japanese Yasuko Sato (JPN) and remain in the race.

“I decided to use the board I had last year when I made the final,” Menard said. “I was feeling a bit of pressure and you always want to get that first round out of the way so from now on, I’ll be focusing on my surfing to perform well and try and do better than in 2009.”

Also advancing through to Round 2 today in excellent form was experienced Kaitlin Maguire (USA), the stylish natural-foot following Dawson’s footsteps to net an overall result of 14.75 points to advance, along with former ASP Women’s World Longboard Champion Joy Monahan (Oahu, HAW, in 2008) and former ASP Women’s World Longboard No. 2 Justine Dupont (Lacanau, FRA, in 2007).

A call will be made at 7.30 AM Sunday for Round 2 before heading into the business end with the Quarterfinals.

ROUND 2 UPCOMING HEATS
Heat 1: Kassia Meador (USA) Vs Cori Schumacher (USA)
Heat 2: Kelly Nicely (USA) vs Haunani Kane (HAW)
Heat 3: Joy Monahan (HAW) Vs Leah Dawson (USA)
Heat 4: Summer Romero (USA) Vs Jennifer Smith (USA)
Heat 5: Coline Menard (REU) Vs Yoko Furuichi (JPN)
Heat 6: Geodee Clark (HAW) Vs Kaitlin Maguire (USA)
Heat 7: Justine Dupont (FRA) Vs Isabelle Braly (AUS)
Heat 8: Kelia Moniz (HAW) Vs Miku Uemura (HAW)

ROUND 1 RESULTS
Heat 1: Kassia Meador (USA) 8.50 def. Nava Young (AUS) 3.90
Heat 2: Cori Schumacher (USA) 11.00 Def. Yuko Shimajiri (JPN) 4.20
Heat 3: Kelly Nicely (USA) 7.05 Def. Georgia Young (AUS) 4.85
Heat 4: Haunani Kane (HAW) 4.75 Def. Julie Cox (USA) 3.80
Heat 5: Joy Monahan (HAW) 6.85 Def. Estitxu Estremo (EUK) 4.30
Heat 6: Leah Dawson (USA) 15.25 Def. Roxy Towill (ZAF) 6.25
Heat 7: Summer Romero (USA) 9.15 Def. Cristiana Pires (BRA) 4.70
Heat 8: Jennifer Smith (USA) 9.90 Def.Vs Chloe Calmon (BRA) 5.15
Heat 9: Coline Menard (REU) 6.75 Def. Yasuko Sato (JPN) 1.25
Heat 10: Yoko Furuichi (JPN) 6.40 Def. Karina Abras (BRA) 6.00
Heat 11: Geodee Clark (HAW) 8.25 Def. Ophelie Ah-Kounen (REU) 6.25
Heat 12: Kaitlin Maguire (USA) 14.75 Def. Rachel Barry (USA) 4.15
Heat 13: Justine Dupont (FRA) 7.85 Def. Juli Warisaya (JPN) 6.20
Heat 14: Isabelle Braly (AUS) 8.80 Def. Candice O’Donnell (GBR) 4.25
Heat 15: Kelia Moniz (HAW) 11.65 Def. Ashley Quintal (HAW) 11.65
Heat 16: Miku Uemura (HAW) 8.20 Def. Pandora Decoster (FRA) 3.80

Börni

• Börni "Moses"
  • Global Moderator
  • If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
    • Nordsurf-Syndikat
Re: Roxy Jam Biarritz 2010
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 12, 2010, 10:05:54 »

Roxy ASP Women’s World Longboard Championships (WWLC)
ASP Women’s World Longboard title decider
La Côte des Basques, Biarritz - France
July 10 to 14, 2010

Cori Schumacher Wins the 2010 Roxy ASP Women’s World Longboard Title in France

Image caption: Cori Schumacher (California, USA) is the 2010 ASP Women's World Longboard Champion after she defeated fellow Californian surfer Kaitlin Maguire in the final [ASP/Aquashot]

LA COTE DES BASQUES, Biarritz, France (Sunday, July 11, 2010) – Cori Schumacher (California, USA), 33, has won the Roxy ASP Women’s World Longboard Championships today in Biarritz, at the world famous venue of La Côte des Basques defeating fellow finalist Kaitlin Maguire (California, USA), 22, in clean two-to-three foot (0.5 to 1 meter) waves in a 100% American heat.

Claiming her first ever ASP World title after several years amongst the world’s best female longboarders’ contingent, Schumacher stepped-up to her reputation to dominate the last action-packed day of the contest posting the event’s highest single-wave and heat scores respectively a 9.25 and 17.25 points.

“It feels so good right now,” freshly crowned Schumacher said. “It was like six minutes to the end and feelings just all washed over me and I was tingling. It’s such an amazing feeling to win. I had some pressure though when I paddled into a wave and left Kaitlin (Maguire) on her own because she can pull a world championship out of her hat anytime.”

Coming out atop a series of intense exchanges in a well-fought final after eliminating two former world champions in the Quarterfinals (Jennifer Smith) and the Semifinals (Joy Monahan), Schumacher’s solid 13.15 score to Maguire’s 9.80 confirmed her domination over the weekend, her smart heat tactics and strategy giving her the final sot at the title.

“I took a gamble to paddle into that last wave and hope for the conditions to slow down as it hd been doing the last three days,” Schumacher said. “It paid up, the gamble went well!”

Maguire, who was surfing her first final in an ASP World title decider event, came short of five points leaving the 2010 edition with the runner-up spot, a promising result and a guarantee to return in next year’s ASP Women’s World Longboard Championships along with the event’s top 16 surfers.

“I was really exhausted for the final,” Maguire said. “Doing the semis and the final in a row was a tough one but it was a good heat. I surfed my best and she surfed. I was really aiming at the title coming to France so it’s disappointing to come one spot short.”

Both finalists ending respectively best and second-best scorers of the 2010 edition, the Roxy ASP Women’s World Longboard Championships were treated to excellent surfing levels throughout the two-day competition, the intensity rising fast throughout the final day of competition and the field of contenders reducing dramatically to the last two.

“The way the contest was judged following the new criterias was great,” Maguire said. “To value progressive surfing more and still count the traditional longboard style helped push the level higher and it’s promising for next year.”

Making the Seminfinals for the second consecutive time, French favorite and and former ASP Women’s World Longboard No. 2 Justine Dupont (Lacanau, FRA, in 2007) had to accept Maguire’s unstoppable run to the final in a high-scoring battle. One of two French representatives to make the final-eight, Dupont had to face the domination of Hawaiian and United States’ natives over the 2010 edition.

“I am really disappointed to end-up once again in the Semifinals,” 18-year-old Dupont said. “I’ve had a runner-up, a fifth and two thirds in four years but I wanted to win that event today. I’ll be back next year for another shot for sure.”

Former event winner and ASP Women’s World Longboard No.1 Joy Monahan (Oahu, HAW) was stopped in the Semifinals despite delivering the best heat of the event against Schumacher where both girls respectively posted 16.00 and 17.25 points displaying an impressive repertoire of both traditional nose-rides and on-the-rail attacks.

Inivted in the last second to replace last year’s runner-up Chelsea Williams (AUS), Monahan, who had dropped out of the ASP Top 32 elite list, secured her retrun to the elite for 2011 by placing equal 3rd today, something crucial for the Hawaiian native.

FINAL
1st, Cori Schumacher (USA) 13.15
2nd, Kaitlin Maguire (USA) 8.10

SEMIFINALS
Heat 1: Cori Schumacher (USA)  17.25 Def. Joy Monahan (HAW) 16.00
Heat 2: Kaitlin Maguire (USA) 14.25 Def. Justine Dupont (FRA) 11.20

QUARTERFINALS
Heat 1: Cori Schumacher (USA) 9.75 Def. Kelly Nicely (USA) 6.25
Heat 2: Joy Monahan (HAW) 13.75 Def. Jennifer Smith (USA) 12.65
Heat 3: Kaitlin Maguire (USA) 14.40 Def. Coline Menard (REU) 13.35
Heat 4: Justine Dupont (FRA) 12.40 Def. Kelia Moniz (HAW) 12.00

ROUND 2 RESULTS (all 16 surfers automatically invited for the 2011 edition)
Heat 1: Cori Schumacher (USA) 12.75 Def. Kassia Meador (USA) 11.25
Heat 2: Kelly Nicely (USA) 8.80 Def. Haunani Kane (HAW) 6.95
Heat 3: Joy Monahan (HAW) 10.90 Def. Leah Dawson (USA) 10.35
Heat 4: Jennifer Smith (USA) 10.25 Def. Summer Romero (USA) 5.55
Heat 5: Coline Menard (REU) 7.75 Def. Yoko Furuichi (JPN) 4.85
Heat 6: Kaitlin Maguire (USA) 9.75 Def. Geodee Clark (HAW) 6.05
Heat 7: Justine Dupont (FRA) 10.50 Def. Isabelle Braly (AUS) 4.35
Heat 8: Kelia Moniz (HAW) 14.50 Def. Miku Uemura (HAW) 5.00

All news, photos and videos highlights available at www.roxy.com