Wellenreiten in Deutschland - Nordsurf Syndikat Forum

• Mai 28, 2024, 19:57:51
  • Willkommen Gast
Bitte loggen sie sich ein oder registrieren sie sich.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
Erweiterte Suche  

Neuigkeiten:

Das Nordsurf Syndikat ist am Start

Autor Thema: Ripcurl Search Pro 2008 Indonesia  (Gelesen 15941 mal)

Jens

• Administrator
Ripcurl Search Pro 2008 Indonesia
« am: Juli 30, 2008, 12:17:58 »

Rip Curl Pro Search Somewhere

Stop No. 6 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour

Somewhere, Indonesia

July 30 – August 10, 2008

Rip Curl Pro Search Round 1 Starts at 10am with Epic Surf “Somewhere” in Indo

Pictured: "Somewhere" in Indo is firing right now.

SOMEWHERE, Indonesia (Wednesday, July 30, 2008) – The swell has arrived and Round 1 of the Rip Curl Pro Search will begin at 10am local time.

Stop No. 6 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, the Rip Curl Pro Search awoke to solid six-to-eight foot (2 metre) swell this morning and event organizers will look to run Round 1 in its entirety before the day is through.

“We’ve relocated to our secondary site today because the surf is absolutely macking at the primary site,” Neil Ridgeway, Rip Curl Pro Search Event Director, said. “Our secondary site “somewhere” in Indo is cooking right now with waves coming through in the six-to-eight foot (2 metre) range and when the tide drops, we’re all expecting some amazing waves to start coming through.”

Today will see eight-time ASP World Champion and current No. 1 on the ASP World Tour Kelly Slater (USA) face off against Timmy Reyes (USA) and winner of the Rip Curl ISC Padang Cup Komang “Gogo” Suijaya (IDN), as well as reigning ASP World Champion Mick Fanning (AUS) battle Taylor Knox (USA) and wildcard Owen Wright (AUS).

2007 ASP World Tour Rookie of the Year Jeremy Flores (FRA), Jay Thompson (AUS) and Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) will be first up when competition commences.

The event will be webcast LIVE via http://live.ripcurl.com/ 

For more information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS

Heat 1: Jeremy Flores (FRA), Jay Thompson (AUS), Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 2: Bobby Martinez (USA), Damien Hobgood (USA), Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 3: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Pancho Sullivan (HAW), Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW), Dane Reynolds (USA), Daniel Ross (AUS)

Heat 6: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Roy Powers (HAW), Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS), Jordy Smith (ZAF), Bruno Santos (BRA)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA), Tim Reyes (USA), Komang “Gogo” Suijaya (IDN)

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS), Taylor Knox (USA), Owen Wright (AUS)

Heat 10: Taj Burrow (AUS), Bruce Irons (HAW), I Made Garut Widiart (IDN)

Heat 11: Adrian Buchan (AUS), Chris Ward (USA), Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 12: Kai Otton (AUS), Ben Dunn (AUS), Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 13: Luke Stedman (AUS), Luke Munro (AUS), Daniel Wills (AUS)

Heat 14: Dean Morrison (AUS), Mick Campbell (AUS), Leonardo Neves (BRA)

Heat 15: Tom Whitaker (AUS), Kieren Perrow (AUS), Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 16: Dayyan Neve (AUS), Heitor Alves (BRA), Mikael Picon (FRA)

Jens

• Administrator
Re: Ripcurl Search Pro 2008 Indonesia
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 30, 2008, 12:21:55 »

Tag 1 ist gerade zu Ende gegangen, die Jungs haben Padang Padang auf Bali gerippt, auch wen Ripcurl immer noch behauptet dass sie "Somewhere in Indonesia" sind.

Kelly mal wieder locker mit 'ner 10 und einer 9.7 weiter...
Tiago Pieres ist auch ne Runde weiter

Alle Details in Kürze

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #2 am: Juli 30, 2008, 12:34:44 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Slater Leads ASP Top 45 into Uncharted Waters for Round 1 of the Rip Curl Pro Search

Pictured: Kelly Slater (USA), eight-time ASP World Champion and current ratings leader on the 2008 ASP World Tour, surfing switch-stance en route to collecting a 19.17 out of a possible 20 on Day 1 of the Rip Curl Pro Search.

SOMEWHERE, Indonesia (Wednesday, July 30, 2008) – Round 1 of the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search event was completed today in excellent six-to-eight foot (2 metre) waves at the secondary site, “somewhere” in Indonesia.

Event No. 6 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, the Rip Curl Pro Search bore witness to the world’s best surfers attacking a venue that many had never surfed before, all the while putting in some of the most electrifying Round 1 performances of the season.

Kelly Slater (USA), eight-time ASP World Champion and current ratings leader on the 2008 ASP World Tour, continued his dominating form today, posting the day’s only perfect 10 for an incredible double barrel on a solid eight-foot set.

“This is my first time ever surfing out here, ‘somewhere’,” Slater said. “I’ve seen it a bit on a few videos and I watched it this morning a little bit on the high tide, but my heat was my first session out there. The wave is so good and you can just sit as deep as you want on the foam ball and it seems to let you out no matter what.”

Slater, who has won four out of five events thus far on the 2008 ASP World Tour, posted the day’s highest heat total of a 19.17 out of a possible 20, putting the ASP Top 45 on notice for the remainder of the event.

“I’m taking it all heat by heat,” Slater said. “I’m just cruising in Indo with some good friends and the waves are good so I’m having a great time here. Hopefully we’ll be back at this spot in two days for Round 3.”

Slater’s incredible performance turned supernatural when, after netting his perfect 10, the Floridian phenom collected a 9.17 out of a possible 10 for an unbelievable switch-foot barrel that stunned onlookers and fellow competitors alike.

“I got a pretty good barrel out the back and then I faded my bottom turn as much as I could before pulling up into that section and I knew I would have to switch stance to make it a good score,” Slater said. “When I did that, I lost all my speed and the barrel closed over me and I was able to reset and get under the lip before coming out again. Best switch-foot wave I’ve ever had.”

Andy Irons (HAW), former three-time ASP World Champion and two-time defending champion of the Rip Curl Pro Search event (2006, 2007), was in sensational form today, netting an impressive 18.40 out of a possible 20 to advance past opponents Dane Reynolds (USA) and Dan Ross (AUS).

“It’s beautiful and wally out there and the waves are just draining all the way across the reef,” Irons said. “It’s such a beautiful place and it’s so nice to surf with just two other guys. I’m really happy to be here.”

Irons, currently sitting No. 8 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, could potentially gain some ground on this season’s ASP World Title race with a solid result in Indonesia, but the Hawaiian is taking a relaxed approach to this year’s event.

“I’m just happy to be here and it feels good to get the first heat out of the way,” Irons said. “It’s great to be here in Indonesia with my beautiful wife Lindy and all my friends. I’m just cruising and taking it all in.”

Joel Parkinson  (AUS), current No. 2 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, matched Irons’ impressive heat total of an 18.40 out of a possible 20 today, blending fantastic backhand re-entries with inpressive tube-riding.  Parkinson netted excellent scores in the opening minutes of the heat, putting opponents Jordy Smith (ZAF) and Bruno Santos (BRA) in combination situations early on.

“It’s really good out there right now and the waves just seemed to come to me,” Parkinson said. “I got a couple of solid scores at the beginning and that set me up really well. The waves just seemed to come to me throughout the remainder of the heat, but Bruno (Santos) got that bomb and I had to go back to work there at the end.”

Parkinson has had a remarkably consistent season in 2008, finishing no worse than equal 5th all year, but the current ASP World No. 2 understands that a victory in the next few events will be paramount to his 2008 ASP World Title campaign.

“I’ve had a solid year so far, but Kelly has just been untouchable basically,” Parkinson said. “Myself and the rest of the boys really need to step it up and win an event here to gain some ground on him.”

Mick Fanning (AUS), reigning ASP World Champion and past winner of the Rip Curl Pro Search (2005), is currently sitting at No. 4 on the 2008 ASP World Tour and survived a hard-fought Round 1 heat today against veteran Dream Tour campaigner Taylor Knox (USA) and lethal wildcard Owen Wright (AUS).

“The waves out there are great, but it just went lully towards the end of the heat and none of us could really get any waves,” Fanning said. “There have still been some amazing heats today and I really hope the swell hangs around.”

Bruce Irons (HAW), current No. 19 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, put on an incendiary performance this afternoon, collecting an impressive 9.77 out of a possible 10 to advance past Taj Burrow (AUS) and I Made Garut Widiart (IDN).

“The waves are really fun out here and these are the kind of waves I like surfing,” Irons said. “I was just cruising around out there and picking off fun ones.  That 9-something had a really good bowl on it and I hope the waves stick around for the rest of the comp.”

Surfline, official forecasters for the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search, are calling for today’s solid Southwest swell to maintain through tomorrow before gradually fading throughout the day.

Event organizers will reconvene at 7am tomorrow morning for a possible 7:30am start for Round 2 of the Rip Curl Pro Search “Somewhere” in Indonesia.

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 1 RESULTS

Heat 1: Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 10.90, Jeremy Flores (FRA) 9.87, Jay Thompson (AUS) 7.73

Heat 2: Damien Hobgood (USA) 10.90, Bobby Martinez (USA) 7.50, Travis Logie (ZAF) 3.13

Heat 3: Tiago Pires (PRT) 12.10, Adriano de Souza (BRA) 11.34, Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 9.10

Heat 4: C.J. Hobgood (USA) 15.84, Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 15.33, Jihad Khodr (BRA) N/S

Heat 5: Andy Irons (HAW) 18.40, Dane Reynolds (USA) 10.17, Daniel Ross (AUS) 5.37

Heat 6: Roy Powers (HAW) 14.00, Bede Durbidge (AUS) 12.34, Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 11.23

Heat 7: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 18.40, Bruno Santos (BRA) 18.03, Jordy Smith (ZAF) 14.50

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) 19.17, Tim Reyes (USA) 15.00, Komang “Gogo” Suijaya (IDN) 9.33

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) 14.67, Taylor Knox (USA) 6.93, Owen Wright (AUS) 6.60

Heat 10: Bruce Irons (HAW) 17.77, I Made Garut Widiart (IDN), 12.43, Taj Burrow (AUS) 11.83

Heat 11: Chris Ward (USA) 17.03, Ben Bourgeois (USA) 16.23, Adrian Buchan (AUS) 16.00

Heat 12: Kai Otton (AUS) 15.10, Ben Dunn (AUS) 10.84, Royden Bryson (ZAF) 10.40

Heat 13: Luke Stedman (AUS) 8.50, Luke Munro (AUS) 8.00, Daniel Wills (AUS) 6.10

Heat 14: Dean Morrison (AUS) 14.80, Leonardo Neves (BRA) 14.44, Mick Campbell (AUS) 12.90

Heat 15: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 17.70, Tom Whitaker (AUS) 10.67, Neco Padaratz (BRA) N/S

Heat 16: Dayyan Neve (AUS) 15.83, Heitor Alves (BRA) 10.53, Mikael Picon (FRA) 10.17

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Komang “Gogo” Suijaya (IDN)

Heat 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Owen Wright (AUS)

Heat 3: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. I Made Garut Widiart (IDN)

Heat 4: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Bruno Santos (BRA)

Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Ricky Basnett (ZAF)

Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Dan Ross (AUS)

Heat 7: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Jihad Khodr (BRA)

Heat 8: Tim Reyes (USA) vs. Travis Logie (ZAF)

Heat 9: Taylor Knox (USA) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 10: Jordy Smith (ZAF) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 11: Dane Reynolds (USA) vs. Daniel Wills (AUS)

Heat 12: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Leonardo Neves (BRA)

Heat 13: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) vs. Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 14: Jay Thompson (AUS) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 15: Ben Dunn (AUS) vs. Heitor Alves (BRA)

Heat 16: Luke Munro (AUS) vs. Mick Campbell (AUS)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: Juli 31, 2008, 09:20:18 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Top Seeds Take Charge in Pumping Lefthanders for Rip Curl Pro Search Round 2

Pictured: Bede Durbidge (AUS), current ASP World No. 3, leaning into a meaty one to advance through Round 2 of the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search.

SOMEWHERE, Indonesia (Thursday, July 31, 2008) – The 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search returned to its primary venue, ‘somewhere’ in Indonesia, today for Round 2 of competition which saw top seeds dominated the pulsing six-foot (2 metre) lefthanders before conditions deteriorated in the early afternoon.

Stop No. 6 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, the Rip Curl Pro Search saw the elimination of 10 surfers today before inconsistency forced event organizers to call competition off for the day.

Bede Durbidge (AUS), current ASP World No. 3, bested lethal wildcard Owen Wright this morning in one of the more incendiary heats of the day. Wright secured an incredible forehand barrel for an impressive 9.63 out of a possible 10 only to have Durbidge answer immediately with a 9.63 of his own for a deep tuberide followed by two powerful backhand blasts.

“Owen (Wright) got that incredible barrel right in front of me and I thought I was done,” Durbidge said. “Then that sick one came through and I just held my rail as long as I could and it let me out and I got the score – I was so stoked.”

Durbidge, who finished 5th on the ASP World Tour last year, has remained a contender in 2008, putting up excellent results to maintain his current No. 3 position.

“I’ve had a really good year and I’ve been able to stay really consistent,” Durbidge said. “I had a bit of a slip up in Tahiti, but the rest of the year has been good for me. It’s great to be here in Indonesia and the waves have been really good. Hopefully I can put up another good result.”

Bobby Martinez (USA), current No. 9 on the ASP World Tour, put on an impressive tube-riding display this morning, eliminating dangerous wildcard, and the only other surfer to win an ASP World Tour event in 2008, Bruno Santos (BRA).

“Bruno (Santos) is really dangerous in these kinds of waves,” Martinez said. “In barreling lefthanders, he knows what to do. It’s not as easy as it looks out there, but there are still some incredible barrels and I am happy to get through the heat.”

Adrian Buchan (AUS), current No. 10 on the ASP World Tour, was another goofy-footer to excel in today’s conditions, netting and impressive 17.90 out of a possible 20 to eliminate 2008 rookie Dan Ross (AUS) from Rip Curl Pro Search competition.

“I love it here – it’s like a third home for me,” Buchan said. “I’ve been coming here since I was a kid with my family and the waves are so good. It’s phenomenal out there and we’ve been fortunate enough to have really good waves so far so I’m pumped.”

Rip Curl Pro Search event organizers will reconvene tomorrow at 7am for a possible 7:30am start.

Surfline, official forecasters for the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search, are calling for the Southwest swell to continue to drop through tonight and tomorrow before a new swell begins to fill in tomorrow afternoon.

When competition recommences, Dane Reynolds (USA) and Daniel Wills (AUS) will be first up in Heat 11 of Round 2.

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 2 RESULTS

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.34 def. Komang “Gogo” Suijaya (IDN) 5.53

Heat 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 18.46 def. Owen Wright (AUS) 15.73

Heat 3: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.17 def. I Made Garut Widiart (IDN) 7.40

Heat 4: Bobby Martinez (USA) 18.16 def. Bruno Santos (BRA) 10.57

Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 9.67 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 4.63

Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 17.90 def. Dan Ross (AUS) 9.80

Heat 7: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 9.27 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 7.50

Heat 8: Tim Reyes (USA) 10.17 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 5.77

Heat 9: Ben Bourgeois (USA) 12.50 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 9.66

Heat 10: Royden Bryson (ZAF) 10.27 def. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 6.67

REMAINING RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #4 am: Juli 31, 2008, 12:57:40 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Pires and Flores Through to Round 3 of Rip Curl Pro Search "Somewhere"

Photo: Tiago Pires (PRT) was the only one of three Europeans to win his Round 1 heat, but was joined by Jeremy Flores (FRA) after he won his Round 2 encounter

CAPBRETON, France (Thursday, July 31, 2008) - The European contingent is currently competing in the Rip Curl Pro Search "Somewhere in Indonesia" and the two first days of competition have been epic thus far. Jeremy Flores (FRA), Miky Picon (FRA) and Tiago Pires (PRT), three of the four ASP Top 45 Europeans this season, all got their start in the event and are already looking forward to surfing the perfect and testing solid waves expected. Aritz Aranburu (EUK), fourth European on the Dream Tour who surfed two events only this year, is still injured and pulled out from the event a couple of weeks ago.

Tiago Pires (PRT), 26, was the best European in Round 1 when he advanced directly to Round 3 after winning his opening battle with a last second ride in the six to eight foot (2 to 2.5 meter) waves at the event's prime location.

"It got better out there and I was so lucky to get that wave at the end", Pires said. "The other two guys are such amazing barrel-riders and it could have been anyone’s heat. I was fortunate to get that barrel at the end and get through the heat."

Pires, who has had average results thus far for his rookie season on the ASP World Tour, was ranked No. 38 before the event and is looking forward to move up the ratings.

"It’s been really hard for me this year," Pires said. "There are so many good guys on tour and there are no easy heats. I am happy to be here in Indonesia for the Rip Curl Pro Search and I hope I can keep going."

Jeremy Flores (FRA), 20, currently the best European on tour and rated No. 11 before the Rip Curl Pro Search event, had a shcoker in Round 1 when he finished second to Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA), having to surf Round 2 -the sudden death round- to try and avoid a last place finish.

Flores, who eliminated Ricky Basnett (ZAf) today, will now wait to know his opponent in Round 3 as six heats of Round 2 remain before all next round's battles are known.

Flores, who opened his 2008 campaign with an impressive equal 3rd in Australia, is chasing a second excellent result to jump in the Top 10, but was close not to surf the event after twisting his ankle.

"I twisted my ankle about 10 days ago so all I can really do is ride the barrel", Flores said. "I tried to do a few turns but it’s pretty ugly. Thankfully the waves are good so of course I am going to be surfing. If you had asked me three days ago if I was going to surf, I would have said ‘no’."

Miky Picon (FRA), 29, who surfed amongst the ASP Top 45 in 2006 and requalified last year, placed second in his Round 1 heat and is now waiting for his Round 2 encounter with rookie Jay Thompson (AUS). Picon, who was rated No. 27 before the event, is looking to secure a second solid result after his equal 9th in Tahiti in May. Picon, who is Used to hollow barreling lefthanders and usually at ease in such waves as a goofyfooter, has all chances to advance through to Round 3 when competition resumes.

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #5 am: Juli 31, 2008, 16:15:58 »

Tiago wird es allerdings recht schwer haben in der nächsten Runde. Mit grosser Wahrscheinlichkeit trifft er in Runde 3 auf Kelly Slater.

Aus der ASP Gerüchteküche:
Kelly Slater hat angekündigt, wenn er Titel No 9 in der Tasche hat, wird er alle Events Switch-Foot fahren und sich so No 10 als Goofy-Footer holen  ;D

Location von Runde 2 war heute übrigens the famous Uluwatu

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #6 am: August 01, 2008, 09:15:55 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Rip Curl Pro Search Round 2 Back ON at Primary Venue “Somewhere” in Indonesia

Pictured: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) will face Leonardo Neves (BRA) this afternoon in Round 2.

SOMEWHERE, Indonesia (Friday, August 1, 2008) – After assessing conditions throughout the day, event organizers at the Rip Curl Pro Search have called the remaining six heats of Round 2 on this afternoon, starting at 2pm at the primary venue, “somewhere” in Indonesia.

Event No. 6 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, the Rip Curl Pro Search saw the elimination of 10 competitors during yesterday’s Round 2 action before organizers called it off in the afternoon due to inconsistency.  Today sees solid four-foot (1.5 metre) waves on offer and the remaining six heats of Round 2 will begin competition at 2pm.

“It’s been a long wait today, but there are some beautiful waves coming in on the the low tide right now and we’re going to send Round 2 out around 2pm,” Damien Hardman, Rip Curl Pro Search Contest Director, said. “We’ll be looking to finish the remainder of Round 2 this afternoon and we’ve got some great match-ups coming up.”

First up with be 2008 ASP World Tour rookie Dane Reynolds (USA) up against seasoned Dream Tour veteran Daniel Wills (AUS).

REMAINING RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 2 MATCH-UPS

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 2 RESULTS

Heat 1: Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.34 def. Komang “Gogo” Suijaya (IDN) 5.53

Heat 2: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 18.46 def. Owen Wright (AUS) 15.73

Heat 3: Adriano de Souza (BRA) 14.17 def. I Made Garut Widiart (IDN) 7.40

Heat 4: Bobby Martinez (USA) 18.16 def. Bruno Santos (BRA) 10.57

Heat 5: Jeremy Flores (FRA) 9.67 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 4.63

Heat 6: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 17.90 def. Dan Ross (AUS) 9.80

Heat 7: Tom Whitaker (AUS) 9.27 def. Jihad Khodr (BRA) 7.50

Heat 8: Tim Reyes (USA) 10.17 def. Travis Logie (ZAF) 5.77

Heat 9: Ben Bourgeois (USA) 12.50 def. Taylor Knox (USA) 9.66

Heat 10: Royden Bryson (ZAF) 10.27 def. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 6.67

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #7 am: August 01, 2008, 12:57:31 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Dramatic Action as Rip Curl Pro Search Round 2 Completed ‘Somewhere’ in Indo

Pictured: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) tore through his afternoon Round 2 heat to advance into Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro Search where the young Hawaiian will come up against Luke Stedman (AUS).

SOMEWHERE, Indonesia (Friday, August 1, 2008) – The remaining six heats of Round 2 of the Rip Curl Pro Search were completed this afternoon in speedy, low-tide four-foot (1.5 metre) waves at the primary venue “somewhere” in Indonesia.

Stop No. 6 of 11 on the 2008 ASP World Tour, the Rip Curl Pro Search went on hold for most of the day before event organizers decided to complete Round 2 in hollow lefthanders, which bore witness to some of the more dramatic performaces of the event.

Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), current No. 22 on the 2008 ASP World Tour ratings, lit a fire this afternoon securing deep tube rides and executing beautiful forehand carves to net a day’s high heat total of a 17.33 out of a possible 20, eliminating Leonardo Neves (BRA) from competition.

“The tide is super low out there right now but these conditions really suit my surfing,” Patacchia said. “I think I managed to pick off the best waves in that heat and they really opened up for me and allowed me to perform. I’m stoked to advance through Round 2 and I’m looking forward to the rest of the event.”

Patacchia will now face Luke Stedman (AUS) in Round 3 when competition resumes.

“I’ve yet to really have a breakout result this season,” Patacchia said. “I feel like I have been building momentum the last two events though and the wave here in Indo is one that I could really do well at. I think the swell is supposed to pick up over the next few days and I hope it does – game on.”

Daniel Wills (AUS), current No. 34 on the ASP World Tour, survived a hard-fought Round 2 heat this afternoon, narrowly eliminating highly-touted rookie Dane Reynolds (USA) from Rip Curl Pro Search competition. In the dying moments of the heat, Wills used a priority tactic to draw an interference on Reynolds, causing the youngster’s triple barrel finale to become nullified.

“No one wants to win heats that way but it’s a competition and that’s how it goes sometimes,” Wills said. “I had a good start to the heat and then held priority for the back half. I should have done my job a little better and stayed on him a bit closer towards the end and I would have been in better position to perform on that wave, but that was my mistake and I had to take off anyway.”

Mikael Picon (FRA), current No. 26 on the 2008 ASP World Tour ratings, overcame the dangerous low-tide conditions this afternoon to advance past 2008 Dream Tour rookie Jay Thompson (AUS) with a solid 16.94 out of a possible 20.

“I lost a bit on skin on the reef on my elbow and my foot and my ass but it was worth it to get through the heat,” Picon said. “It’s so shallow out there this afternoon, but I am very happy to advance through to Round 3. The wave here is good for me on my forehand and I am hoping for a good result here.”

Surfline, official forecasters for the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search, are calling for an increase in swell during the night and throughout tomorrow.

Event organizers will meet tomorrow morning at 7am to make the call for a potential 7:30am start.

REMAINING RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 2 RESULTS

Heat 11: Daniel Wills (AUS) 11.00 def. Dane Reynolds (USA) 6.67

Heat 12: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 17.33 def. Leonardo Neves (BRA) 9.87

Heat 13: Neco Padaratz (BRA) 11.83 def. Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 8.84

Heat 14: Mikael Picon (FRA) 16.94 def. Jay Thompson (AUS) 10.83

Heat 15: Ben Dunn (AUS) 16.67 def. Heitor Alves (BRA) 9.83

Heat 16: Mick Campbell (AUS) 15.00 def. Luke Munro (AUS) 10.67

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 3 MATCH-UPS

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Daniel Wills (AUS)

Heat 2: Kai Otton (AUS) vs. Damien Hobgood (USA)

Heat 3: Luke Stedman (AUS) vs. Fredrick Patacchia (HAW)

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Royden Bryson (ZAF)

Heat 5: Adriano de Souza (BRA) vs. Kieren Perrow (AUS)

Heat 6: Bobby Martinez (USA) vs. Michael Campbell (AUS)

Heat 7: Dayyan Neve (AUS) vs. Tim Reyes (USA)

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)

Heat 10: Tom Whitaker (AUS) vs. Bruce Irons (HAW)

Heat 11: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)

Heat 12: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 13: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Ben Bourgeois (USA)

Heat 14: Dean Morrison (AUS) vs. Roy Powers (HAW)

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Neco Padaratz (BRA)

Heat 16: Adrian Buchan (AUS) vs. Chris Ward (USA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #8 am: August 01, 2008, 13:00:54 »

Unsere 3 Euros haben es in Runde 3 geschafft, haben aber harte Aufgaben zu erledigen:

Jeremy Flores hat zwar den vermeintlich leichtesten Gegner, hat aber noch mit seiner Fussverletzung zu kämpfen.

Runde 3:

Heat 8: Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)
Heat 11: C.J. Hobgood (USA) vs. Mikael Picon (FRA)
Heat 12: Jeremy Flores (FRA) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #9 am: August 02, 2008, 03:58:51 »

und es it liiiivvvveeeee draussen in ulu geht einiges !!!

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #10 am: August 02, 2008, 08:58:19 »

Tiagooooooo  !!!!!!!!!!!!  :o
Der hat doch tatsächlich Kelly Slater weggenascht  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Good Job!!!

1   17.57    Tiago Pires    PRT
2   16.33    Kelly Slater    USA

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #11 am: August 02, 2008, 09:10:25 »

Euro-Power!!
Micky Picon hat CJ Hobgood plattgemacht!

1   14.00    Mikael Picon    FRA
2    5.67    CJ Hobgood    USA

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #12 am: August 02, 2008, 11:29:30 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Rookie Pires Bests ASP Ratings Leader Slater in Rip Curl Pro Search Round 3

Pictured: Portugal's Tiago Pires, a rookie on the 2008 ASP World Tour, scored a sensational come-from-behind victory today to defeat eight-time ASP World Champion and current Dream Tour ratings leader Kelly Slater (USA) in Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro Search.

SOMEWHERE, Indonesia (Saturday, August 2, 2008) – Tiago Pires (PRT), 2008 Dream Tour rookie and current No. 39 on the ASP World Tour ratings, caused a sensational upset today, eliminating eight-time ASP World Champion and current ratings leader on the ASP World Tour, Kelly Slater (USA), from Rip Curl Pro Search competition in Round 3.

Running in solid six foot (2 metre) waves at the primary venue ‘somewhere’ in Indonesia, Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro Search was treated to some fantastic performances, none moreso than Pires’ come-from-behind victory over Slater.  Needing a 7.16 in the dying moments, Pires watched a priority-holding Slater take the first wave of the set, leaving the European to pig-dog an incredible backdoor pit for an 8.40 and the win.

“There were two waves at the end of that heat and he went on the first one and I took the second and it turned out to be a really good wave,” Pires said. “When I came out of the barrel and into the channel, everyone was screaming. This is the biggest win of my career. I have won a few ASP WQS events, but to beat Slater here in these conditions is amazing.”

Pires’ victory was well celebrated on the cliff by several members of the ASP Top 45 as the young Portuguese surfer is the first Dream Tour competitor to defeat Slater in 2008.

“When I came up through the cave it felt like I won the event,” Pires said. “There were so many people screaming and cheering. It felt really good. I guess it’s a big deal that no one else had beat him this year, but I’ve been training hard and I hope to be going much further in this event.”

Slater, who has won a staggering four out of five events thus far on the 2008 ASP World Tour, was gracious in his defeat, congratulating his opponent while considering his tactical mistake.

“I knew I shouldn’t have gone on that first wave,” Slater said. “Congratulations to Tiago (Pires) as he surfed really well. He’s definitely not one who I underestimate and he is probably one of the best barrel-riders in the world. It was one of those situations that I played through in my head about a minute before it actually happened, but that happens from time to time. Before the contest started, I said my luck would have to run out somewhere and I guess it was here.”

Still sitting with a comfortable lead in the race for the 2008 ASP World Title, Slater will regroup and look towards the next event at Lower Trestles, California in September.

“It’s an unfortunate result here – no one likes a 17th,” Slater said. “However we get two throwaways and when I do that, I’m still counting four wins this year which is pretty good. Lowers has always been a good venue for me. It feels like my backyard and it is typically one where I do really well. You can never discount any one in any heat though, these are the best surfers in the world and they’re all dangerous.”

Mick Fanning (AUS), reigning ASP World Champion and former Rip Curl Pro Search winner (2005), competed immediately following Slater’s elimination, comfortably advancing past Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 16.34 to 3.90.

“Our heat was so slow for waves it was unbelievable,” Fanning said. “I was in the water at the end of Slater and Tiago’s heat and when Tiago (Pires) came out of the barrel, the entire cliff erupted and I thought, ‘wow, that sure isn’t for us because nothing has happened yet.’  Fortunately a few rolled through and I was in position to capitalize. I’m happy to be moving through to Round 4.”

Fanning, currently sitting No. 4 on the 2008 ASP World Tour ratings, is in position to benefit from Slater’s early elimination and regroup his 2008 ASP World Title defensive campaign.

“Tiago (Pires) has been putting in a lot of great performances all year long and it was only a matter of time before he took down a big name,” Fanning said. “I think what it’s done is really fired everyone up, especially the top seeds since it offers us a chance to gain some ground on Kelly (Slater).”

Joel Parkinson (AUS), current No. 2 on the 2008 ASP World Tour ratings, put in the strongest performance of the day, eliminating goofy-footer Royden Bryson (ZAF) with the day’s high heat total of an 18.40 out of a possible 20.

“Indonesia is such a tidal spot,” Parkinson said. “Some heats will have really good waves while others have a bit of a struggle. Thankfully for us, the waves really turned on there and I was able to grab a couple of good ones.”

Kai Otton (AUS), current No. 12 on the 2008 ASP World Tour ratings, was another to cause a big upset today, eliminating dangerous goofy-footer Damien Hobgood (USA) from Rip Curl Pro Search competition.

“Damien (Hobgood) and I are really good friends and we’ve been surfing out here a lot the past few days,” Otton said. “We knew we were seeded pretty close for this Round and we were watching all day yesterday to see what would happen – seeing who could lose or win so that we didn’t end up with each other. That’s how it goes sometimes and I was able to get a couple of really good ones towards the start and managed to get through.”

Otton opened up with two lengthy forehand barrels, netting him a heat total of 17.50 out of a possible 20, to eliminate Hobgood and the young Australian hopes his momentum will carry him though the remainder of the event.

“I’ve had a pretty shocking year so far and I haven’t managed better than 9th,” Otton said. “I’m fired up to be here though and into Round 4 and I’m ready to break through with a result.”

Surfline, official forecasters for the 2008 Rip Curl Pro Search, are calling for the current Southwest swell to maintain throughout the night and into tomorrow before fading tomorrow night.

Event organizers will reconvene tomorrow morning at 6:30am for a possible 7am start.

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 3 RESULTS

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) 10.84 def. Daniel Wills (AUS) 9.77

Heat 2: Kai Otton (AUS) 17.50 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 13.83

Heat 3: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) 6.86 def. Luke Stedman (AUS) 4.90

Heat 4: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 18.40 def. Royden Bryson (ZAF) 11.43

Heat 5: Kieren Perrow (AUS) 13.17 def. Adriano de Souza (BRA) 12.64

Heat 6: Bobby Martinez (USA) 15.43 def. Michael Campbell (AUS) 14.40

Heat 7: Dayyan Neve (AUS) 17.43 def. Tim Reyes (USA) 11.83

Heat 8: Tiago Pires (PRT) 17.57 def. Kelly Slater (USA) 16.33

Heat 9: Mick Fanning (AUS) 16.34 def. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA) 3.90

Heat 10: Bruce Irons (HAW) 15.50 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 6.24

Heat 11: Mikael Picon (FRA) 14.00 def. C.J. Hobgood (USA) 5.67

Heat 12: Ben Dunn (AUS) 14.43 def. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 9.17

Heat 13: Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.30 def. Ben Bourgeois (USA) 8.43

Heat 14: Dean Morrison (AUS) 10.10 def. Roy Powers (HAW) 9.60

Heat 15: Andy Irons (HAW) 17.33 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 9.34

Heat 16: Chris Ward (USA) 14.84 def. Adrian Buchan (AUS) 8.67

RIP CURL PRO SEARCH ROUND 4 MATCH-UPS

Heat 1: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

Heat 2: Fredrick Patacchia (HAW) vs. Joel Parkinson (AUS)

Heat 3: Kieren Perrow (AUS) vs. Bobby Martinez (USA)

Heat 4: Dayyan Neve (AUS) vs. Tiago Pires (PRT)

Heat 5: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Bruce Irons (HAW)

Heat 6: Mikael Picon (FRA) vs. Ben Dunn (AUS)

Heat 7: Taj Burrow (AUS) vs. Dean Morrison (AUS)

Heat 8: Andy Irons (HAW) vs. Chris Ward (USA)

Jens

• Administrator
« Antwort #13 am: August 02, 2008, 11:30:48 »

Somewhere, Indonesia

Pires Defeats Slater and Makes History at Rip Curl Pro Search "Somewhere"

CAPBRETON, France (Saturday, August 2, 2008) - Tiago Pires (Ericeira, PRT), 26, made history lasy night in Round 3 of the Rip Curl Pro Search "Somewhere in Indonesia" when he marched into Round 4 defeating 8X ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (Florida,USA) in the four to six foot (1.2 to 2 meter) waves at the event's prime venue. Pires, a rookie on this year's ASP World Tour, became the first ASP Top 45 member to defeat Slater this season in a high scoring battle where he ended up winning with an excellent 17.57 point heat tally to Slater's 16.33 point result (both out of a possible 20).

Pires, who surfed in Heat 8 of Round 3, started the duel way behind the current ASP World Tour leader and was left in need of a 16.34 point combination as eight minutes only remained in the heat. Slater, who opened the battle with an 8.50 point ride before securing a solid lead with another 7.83 point wave (both out of a possibel 10), had a comfortable lead but Pires came back in the last five minutes netting a 9.17 point ride and a last second 8.40 pointer to take what will remain his most unforgettable victory.

"There were two waves at the end of that heat and he went on the first one and I took the second and it turned out to be a really good wave", Pires said.  "When I came out of the barrel and into the channel, everyone was screaming. This is the biggest win of my career. I have won a few ASP WQS events, but to beat Slater here in these conditions is amazing.”

Pires, who was rated No. 38 on the ASP World Tour going into Stop No. 6 of 11 of the Dream Tour, was cheered by a massive crowd when coming back to the shore. He achieved as well his best result this year by reaching Round 4 where he will face Dayyan Neve (AUS) in Heat 4.

"When I came up through the cave it felt like I won the event", Pires said. "There were so many people screaming and cheering, It felt really good. I guess it’s a big deal that no one else had beat him this year, but I’ve been training hard and I hope to be going much further in this event."

Slater, who has won four out of six events on the ASP World Tour this year and leads the ASP Top 45 comfortably en route to an unprecedent 9th ASP World title, had not been beaten by an ASP World touring surfer yet this year, his only loss being to event wildcard Manoa Drollet in the Billabong Pro Tahiti.

Slater accepted his loss with fairplay but is already focused on Stop No. 7 of the Dream Tour that will take place at Trestles, California, where he is the defending champion.

"I knew I shouldn’t have gone on that first wave", Slater said. "Congratulations to Tiago (Pires) as he surfed really well. He’s definitely not one who I underestimate and he is probably one of the best barrel-riders in the world. It was one of those situations that I played through in my head about a minute before it actually happened, but that happens from time to time. Before the contest started, I said my luck would have to run out somewhere and I guess it was here."

The last European to defeat Slater was 2007 ASP Rookie of the Year Jeremy Flores (FRA) in the Billabong Pro Tahiti in 2007.

Apart from Pires' historical performance, the two other European surfers in the event Miky Picon (Hossegor, FRA) and Jeremy Flores (New Caledonia, FRA) surfed as well in Round 3 and Picon was the only one to advance through to Round 4, Flores losing to Ben Dunn (AUS) in Heat 12.

Picon, who is on his second year among the ASP Top 45, put on a great performance to defeat former ASP World Champion and current World No. 7 CJ Hobgood (Florida, USA) in Heat 11 and equal his best result ever thus far by reaching Round 4. Picon, a goofyfooter surfing frontside at this year's Rip Curl Pro Search main venue, found some solid barrels including a 7.83 point ride (out of a possible 10) that gave him victory over Hobgood's low 5.67 point heat result (out of a possible 20).

Picon will now surf against Ben Dunn (AUS) in Heat 6 of Round 4. For the first time ever, two European surfers will surf in Round 4 of an ASP World Tour event when competition resumes.

Aritz Aranburu (Zarautz,EUK), fourth ASP World Tour European this year, did not compete in the Rip Curl Pro Search "Somewhere in Indonesia" as he is still recovering from a knee and ankle injury that made him miss four of six Dream Tour events this year.   

All news, photos, results and videos available at www.aspworldtour.com and www.aspeurope.com

Timo

• Global Moderator
  • Jungle run...
« Antwort #14 am: August 03, 2008, 09:03:31 »

Contest ist ON und Tiago im Halbfinale...not bad